Fall Out Boy

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I really want to hate these guys but every time I hear one of there songs I have a hard time changing the station. They suck, but they don't.. I think I need therapy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Sounds like you want to hate them cause everyone else does. If you like something who cares what other people think. Fall Out Boy is absolutely horrid to me, but what do i know.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    artjam wrote:
    Sounds like you want to hate them cause everyone else does. If you like something who cares what other people think. Fall Out Boy is absolutely horrid to me, but what do i know.
    I like their Arms Race song.. I guess thats about it.
  • Reynaldo6Reynaldo6 Posts: 80
    they sound like... well it tastes like a popsicle that was stuck up someones a**, hey some people are into that kinda stuff
    -Eddie, Live at the Garden

totally applies to fall out boy too
    I'll wait up in the dark
    For you to speak to me
    I'll open up
    Release me
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    This month's Bass Guitar magazine featured their bassist. I don't care for the band but I found his interview to be honest and I gained a shred of respect for him. He admitted to writting simple, very easy basslines because he wants to be able to reproduce them live and have fun/run around stage at the same time. It seems like he's at least somewhat in it for fun and not money. He also admitted people could probably outstage him easily so he's not really big-headed.

Anyway, if you don't wanna turn it off you probably like it. Oh well, it happens. I was getting into this song the other day until I found out it was Nickelback, then the coolness dropped so much :cool:
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I really want to hate these guys but every time I hear one of there songs I have a hard time changing the station. They suck, but they don't.. I think I need therapy.

i like them quite a bit musically. live clips i've seen have been terrible though. but i enjoy the records. don't really care what anyone else thinks of them though they get lots of hate.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

oh i've been hearing that on the radio. see i'm older and i'm surprised they are allowed to say "God dam" on the radio...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    danny72688 wrote:
    Anyway, if you don't wanna turn it off you probably like it. Oh well, it happens. I was getting into this song the other day until I found out it was Nickelback, then the coolness dropped so much :cool:

why, who was around who would know NB are not cool? obviously you liked it.
    I guess the devil on your shoulder said, "ugh, that's nickelback and your synergy-ite friends will not like you"
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • rest assured they suck...not just any ordinary suck...they are an ultimate suckfest
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    iluvcats wrote:
    why, who was around who would know NB are not cool? obviously you liked it.
    I guess the devil on your shoulder said, "ugh, that's nickelback and your synergy-ite friends will not like you"
    That's exactly what happened. I hated it because it was Nickelback. If I didn't know it was them I'd have surely enjoyed it more.
    danny72688 wrote:
    If I didn't know it was them I'd have surely enjoyed it more.

what? you are not making sense.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    what? you are not making sense.
    Okay let's say I never figured out it was Nickelback. Then in that case my biased opinion wouldn't have kicked in and said, "this is shit".
  • I like their Arms Race song.. I guess thats about it.

Same here. I really like that song but the rest of their stuff I do not care for.
  • i generally can't stand them, but i do like that "sugar, we're going down" song. it's just too damn catchy. as far as the "arms race" song, it just does nothing for me.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    They are at the top of my guilty pleasures list along with My Chemical Romance, and Taking Back Sunday. I'm a sucker for a good pop song.

(an no, I'm not a 14 yr. old girl)
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i dont know who they are but is the band name a simpsons reference or what
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I admit the songs are catchy. There some random times when I will give the song a chance because it is so damn catchy.

Having a catchy song doesnt equal a good song though, and having the number one album doesnt mean much either. Lets not forget the soundtrack to "Dirty Dancing" was a record breaking at one point.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    If i hear that song about it aint being a scene, it being a something or other (cant understand what he says) ill break my tv. Horrible band.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I think I can safely say that I actually like Fall Out Boy now. definitely a guilty pleasure. I think they are harmless, catchy fun and they dont take themselves seriously. This aint a scene was a great pop song and the new single is catchier than AIDS.

so flame me.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Stop giving a shit about your image and just listen to them. If you already enjoy it there is no reason not to.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    They're music is harmless, up-beat and catchy... if you can't stand their music, that's fine, if you like it that's fine too... who cares...

Bands who take themselves waaay too seriously annoy me, bands like fallout boy who seem to be enjoying themselves are fine with me.

Music doesn't have to have some deep meaning or have to be a musical masterpiece to be enjoyable.... elitism is stupid... if you like something, enjoy it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Lost_Clay wrote:
    i dont know who they are but is the band name a simpsons reference or what

Yeah they are. There was an article about them in guitar world and it said thats how they found there name.

Anyway I think they suck. A friend of mine says there first album was better. I guess it came before the one with 'sugar were goin down'. I guess I can take his word for it because I'm not going to check it out for myself

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • if this was the year '92 on the pj board this thread would translate to "vanilla ice appreciation thread"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brainofdz wrote:
    They are at the top of my guilty pleasures list along with My Chemical Romance, and Taking Back Sunday. I'm a sucker for a good pop song.

(an no, I'm not a 14 yr. old girl)

phew. im glad to hear that. :D

weve seen your guilty pleasures list dz, it's fairly long from what i can recall.

i dont mind fall out boy either.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    They are a cancer in the music industry. They are a pretentious, predictable, annoying, fame whoring cancer. I was flicking through music channels a while ago and they were on an MTV show called TRL and it was disgusting. The bassist could not pout any harder or be any dummer, really this guy was thicker than paint. Though there is one area in which they excel. Their devotation to mediocrity is second to none.
    I needed that rant :)
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    They are a cancer in the music industry. They are a pretentious, predictable, annoying, fame whoring cancer. I was flicking through music channels a while ago and they were on an MTV show called TRL and it was disgusting. The bassist could not pout any harder or be any dummer, really this guy was thicker than paint. Though there is one area in which they excel. Their devotation to mediocrity is second to none.
    I needed that rant :)
    eh, they're not really pretentious. They can joke around about themselves. There are plenty more pretentious bands that are liked around here.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    eh, they're not really pretentious. They can joke around about themselves. There are plenty more pretentious bands that are liked around here.
    damn right.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    you guys are going to heaven!!!!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Love them :o:o Get fried for it...don't care :p

Some of my fave FOB lyrics!

"I've seen sinking ships go down with more grace than you"

"I wish that I was as invisible as you make me feel"

"Douse yourself in cheap perfume it's
    So fitting, so fitting of the way you are
    You can't cover it up
    Can't cover it up"

"So wear me like a locket around your throat.
    I'll weigh you down.
    I'll watch you choke."

"I only want sympathy in the form of you crawling into bed with me"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412

Awful song and awful band, I will explain why I hate them so I am not just one of those that hates them because everyone else does..........mainly, their singer sounds like an immature clown and I cannot understand a word he says, it sounds like total gibberish coming from a terrible voice, second, their lyrics are about as deep as something that would come from a 13 year old girl who talks on the phone all day, and third of all.........they make crappy pop music and should never be considered rock or anything close to it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Awful song and awful band, I will explain why I hate them so I am not just one of those that hates them because everyone else does..........mainly, their singer sounds like an immature clown and I cannot understand a word he says, it sounds like total gibberish coming from a terrible voice, second, their lyrics are about as deep as something that would come from a 13 year old girl who talks on the phone all day, and third of all.........they make crappy pop music and should never be considered rock or anything close to it.
    Not to be a dick, because i respect your opinion and all that jazz, but if you don't understand what he's saying how do you know how deep their lyrics are?
    But I agree that I don't really think of them as a rock band. They're emo and pop.