great lead guitarists

13»

Comments

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    pipedreams wrote:
    Mick Taylor - the best Rolling Stones guitarist

Ahhhh so true, and hes so overlooked too
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • tonadax wrote:
    What about: in no order
    John Petrucci- Dream Theater

YES! YES!!!! YYYEEESSS!!!

He is my god. He is the most precise and best guitarist in the world, in my opinion. Watch the last 8 minutes or so of In The Name of God (Live at Budokan), when he gets into he solos. Insane!

Also, Frusciante is amazing, as is Joe Satriani, Kirk Hammett, Mike McCready, Eddie Van Halen (actually saw them about two weeks ago. He was awesome!), Adam Jones, Billy Corgan, and some others.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Inkdaub wrote:
    Doug Martsch is awesome.

that's who i was going to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxwmXFUNLE&feature=related
  • There was this old Australian band called "The Little River Band" which I saw live in the early 1980's and I thought the guitarist was amazing. They really gave him a lot of room live and he was great.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Everyone slams the Chilis because its cool to.....

But John Frusciante is amazing on californication and SA.....a true inspiration who plays from the heart......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    this thread is a blast from the past!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Here are a few I can think of that haven't been mentioned:

Michael Houser (R.I.P) of Widespread Panic
    Jimmy Herring of Widespread Panic
    Jim James of My Morning Jacket
    Luther Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars
    Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Adrian Belew!
    One of the best, and you've heard him and maybe not have known it.

He played with Frank Zappa,
    Talking Heads, "Remain in Light" and on tour with them,
    David Bowie, Peter Gabriel etc

Lately, NIN Downward spiral.

He and Robert Fripp playing together in King Crimson are out of this world!

A busy man he is: http://www.adrianbelew.net/discografy.html#producer/performer

Also,
    Pat Martino is an amazing jazz guitarist. Also John Scofield. They're two more of my favorites

I saw Belew when he played with Bowie in the early 80's, jaw droppingly good!
    Zappa had some amazing musicians pass through his band, for me the best guitarists were Warren Cuccurullo and Mike Keneally. Steve Vai comes in fourth after Belew.
  • 5 Pages and no one said the Edge...

The man created his own sound. But people like to bring the U2 hate for whatever reason.

I also like Peter Buck, Tom Morello, Mike McCready, Kurt Hammet, Kim Thyail, Johnny Greenwood, and of course Slash.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    you might hate Phish... but you can't deny that Trey Anastasio is a guitar GOD!! Some of the best solos I've seen live have been performed by that man.. lots of tension and release:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    5 Pages and no one said the Edge...

They were busy thinking about how awesome Ace Frehley is
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Steve Howe
    John McLaughlin
    Blixa Bargeld
    the needle & the damage done
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    billy corgan

known for his naslay voice but man he can rip (see: siamese dream)
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Obscured1 wrote:
    Lee Ranaldo (sonic youth)

agreed. 80% of the time the vocals (especially the woman) strike me as horrible, but 99% of the time the guitar playing is awesome. Daydream Nation has some of the more creative guitar playing i've heard.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    intodeep wrote:
    J Mascis :)

definitely!

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    Steve Howe
    John McLaughlin
    Blixa Bargeld

such a pity he left The Bad Seeds.