great lead guitarists

kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
edited February 2008 in Other Music
there are the obvious and the not so obvious, or underrated. i would have to say that mark knopfler (dire straits) rates right up there. awesome.

anyone else who is rarely mentioned?
lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
~it is shining it is shining~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Obscured1Obscured1 Posts: 56
    Lee Ranaldo (sonic youth)
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Neil Young.

And I second Lee Ranaldo.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think an underrated guitarist that not a lot of people think of was Ric Ocasek from the Cars. Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick was another one.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Larry LaLonde of Primus is probably the most underrated I've ever heard.
    Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is really amazing too.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Billy Duffy from the Cult gets no acknowledgement...from his atmospheric, gothy delay drenched riffs of the early days, to the more mainstream rock classics in the middle, and the alternative licks of the later Cult, he really covered a lot of ground and shined throughout. He also came up with some amazing, memorable riffs.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Matthew Bellamy...the lead singer and guitarist for Muse...sweet jesus, have you ever watched them on video when they perform? he's a genius
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Kim Thayil, of Soundgarden, also definitely doesn't get enough credit. This guy is a guitar hero, and he certainly has not lived on in great fame.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    Slash, awesome guitarist and he has a lot of sex appeal!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    iluvslash wrote:
    Slash, awesome guitarist and he has a lot of sex appeal!

how did i guess u were going to say that! ;)
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Alain Johannes
    Izzy Stradlin
    Jerry Cantrell

All deserve more credit than they get.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    My two favourite/best lead guitarists in bands are Pete Townshend and Jimmy Page. These guys have everything.

Saw Pete with The Who last night and it was bloody amazing! He still shreds those guitars to pieces. Even the acoustic!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    J Mascis :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Second to J Mascis. Also, Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic and Chris Haskett from th original Rollins Band lineup.
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    Peter Buck of R.E.M. is hugely underrated in the guitar world. His overall technique is very unorthidox but the man is very talented
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNMClZrL5n4&search=rory%20gallagher
    Another great acoustic number . Pistol slapper blues
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4iocWURPk&search=rory%20gallagher

One more for your delight.
    Cradle Rock from this great rock god
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Two of my favorites:

Mick Ronson esp. his days w/ Bowie
    Mike Rathke plays a lot of the leads in Lou Reed's band.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Todd Park Mohr from Big Head Todd & The Monsters
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
    dirt wrote:
    Two of my favorites:

Mick Ronson esp. his days w/ Bowie
    Mike Rathke plays a lot of the leads in Lou Reed's band.

yes mick ronson!!!!!!!!

and i must add george harrison was pretty damn good in the beatles... alot of people just don't think of him that way, but its true.

great posts, everyone... fada, thanks for sharing rory gallagher too.. ;)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Jerry Cantrell, Izzy Stradlin', Gary Lee Conner
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • i am so glad nobody has said john fruciante yet and i am even happier that gary lee conner has been mentioned twice!!!

i am not sure of the fellow's name, but the guitarist/singer in muse is unbeliveable.
  • Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.

YES! How did I overlook him on my list? I guess that's why this is such a good thread...

Cannot wait for the 7/25 release of the expanded version of Ghost Reveries...40 min. documentary of the making of GR, a 5:1 mix of the album, an extra song or two - including Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple) etc...
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • tdzyphtdzyph Posts: 11
    I just heard about this guy named John Frusciante, he's not bad.
  • dirt wrote:
    YES! How did I overlook him on my list? I guess that's why this is such a good thread...

Cannot wait for the 7/25 release of the expanded version of Ghost Reveries...40 min. documentary of the making of GR, a 5:1 mix of the album, an extra song or two - including Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple) etc...

It's all about the 5.1 mix. The sound will be mind numbing.
  • tdzyphtdzyph Posts: 11
    Also, Jeff buckley was a bad mother on the guitar. Incredible voice, equally adept on the axe. It was like two instruments.
    warren haynes is pretty awesome in the dead and the allman bros... and government mule.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i am not sure of the fellow's name, but the guitarist/singer in muse is unbeliveable.

umm that would be matt bellamy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Obscured1Obscured1 Posts: 56
    I just heard about this guy named John Frusciante, he's not bad.

I think everyone know who J frusciante is, try reading the thread. Why not just post David Gilmour???