Options

Drive by Truckers?

Comments

• Options
    I think when Isbell join on, they really found their sound. The earlier stuff is good, but the last three albums are outstanding.

PBM

I think Isbell's and Cooley's songs are usually my favorite... Patterson's great and all, but Where the Devil Don't Stay, Goddamn Lonely Love, Zip City, and Outfit are probably my favorite Trucker's songs, and they are all either Isbell's or Cooley's.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options

Honestly that band is just astounding, any one of those guys could carry a band on their own and it would be pretty great, you put all of them in the same lineup and its just an embarrasment of riches.

well said, man
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    If DBT had a good singer they would be better. I am not into his style. I like alotta their stuff musically and I love Southern Rock Opera, but the vocals really stop me from loving DBT.

Really? REALLY? Yeah, it's a little rustic, but that's the true beauty of it...

I agree with PBM - ISbell is the man... I've said it before and will say it again: ISbell (because of his difference in age, etc) will someday have a stellar solo career. I'm looking forward to his solo album as much as I am Blessing and a Curse.

I'm also glad that the PJ community is getting turned on to them. I think I posted one of the first threads on this band. Very proud of these guys...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Really? REALLY? Yeah, it's a little rustic, but that's the true beauty of it...

I agree with PBM - ISbell is the man... I've said it before and will say it again: ISbell (because of his difference in age, etc) will someday have a stellar solo career. I'm looking forward to his solo album as much as I am Blessing and a Curse.

I'm also glad that the PJ community is getting turned on to them. I think I posted one of the first threads on this band. Very proud of these guys...

I really like the way it sounds on some of their songs, and it seemed like on Southern Rock opera there was more singing, but I downloaded a live show of some newer material and it just didnt strike me like Southern Rock Opera did. I posted on it a long long time ago and I really love that album. I wanna get into the newer stuff it just may take a little time.

Another band that deserves some love, is MOE. I havent listened to much studio stuff, but live they are amazing. I highly recomend them and I am positive, regardless of taste, you will enjoy them live.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I went back and listened to some older live shows online this morning and noticed that they played Feb 14 as early as April last year. I learned something new today.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Zip City

Hadn't heard that one yet...so I looked it up...awesome.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Zip City is a real place as is Colbert Heights.........has anyone heard a date of when "Like a Rolling Stone" is going to be available at itunes??????
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that it was already available, but I guess not. I've heard about it, but haven't heard it yet...I've heard it is very good.

PBM

• Options
    There are quite a few songs that I'm unfamiliar with so I'm trying to get caught up before I see them in Nashville.

18 Days.

PBM

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    Zip City is a real place as is Colbert Heights.........has anyone heard a date of when "Like a Rolling Stone" is going to be available at itunes??????

The story of the feud in Decoration Day is true too. I work with a guy from Florence, AL (Turns out he's related to Shonna, or as he says, he's 'kin to her', 3rd or 4th cousin or something). Anyway, he'd heard about the Hill family growing up, and his dad knew some of the Hill family.

I think the incest story in 'The Deeper In' is based on a true story, and I know that George A. from Sands of Iwo Jima is true, as is the story in 18 Wheels Of Love (about Pattersons Mom)

That honesty is one of the great traits about all these guys as songwriters/performers. You can hear it in their lyrics and their voices.

Don't know when the cover of Like A Rolling Stone will be up on iTunes, I got my copy on the Uncut CD that it originally showed up on a few months ago.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    That honesty is one of the great traits about all these guys as songwriters/performers. You can hear it in their lyrics and their voices.

At first, I wasn't sure about Let There Be Rock...first listen...then I've played it 5 times since and I'm hooked.

I need to listen to Southern Rock Opera from start to finish...I keep listening to scatered songs here and there.

PBM

• Options
    I'm listening to their cover of "867-5309" right now from 7/25/04...pre DNC show in VA.
    It was really spontaneous...and they fucking nailed it, but not before rednecking it up first.
    Plus, Big Tits and Bush is awesome from that show too..
  • Options
    I'm listening to their cover of "867-5309" right now from 7/25/04...pre DNC show in VA.

Yeah, I remember seeing that one, but didn't listen to it for some reason...is it in MP3?

PBM

• Options
    Yeah, I remember seeing that one, but didn't listen to it for some reason...is it in MP3?

PBM
    yeah, I have the show...just got it from MrMerkinBall around here...PM me if you want to set something up...

I think it's just isbell, shonna and patterson. acoustic. But it's good, they do a bunch of old ones and covers... I'm in love with a girl, by big star, that was a good one to hear.
  • Options
    my roommate's gun got nine bullets in it
    nine bullets in my roommate's gun
  • Options
    I finally picked up "Pizza Deliverance" and "Gangstabilly" today. Honestly they are better than I expected them to be, but admittedly not as good as the most recent 3 records.

Does anyone have Patterson's solo record? I was thinking of picking that up before too much longer.

I just can't get enough of these guys. I am seeing them twice next month, and I can't wait to hear some of the new songs.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    I've been listening to scatered songs from both of those albums lately.

•Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus)
    •Zoloft
    •Buttholeville

Are they playing a lot of new tunes in concert?

PBM

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    OK. I checked out Decoration Day from the public library today and I'm beginning to get familiar with this band before I see them next month. Somebody give me an idea how this fits into the DBT progression.

Three weeks until Langerado!
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Decoration Day came out in 2003.

I've been downloading a lot of songs off of it on iTunes lately. Zip City has emerged as a new favorite.

5 more days until the Nashville show.

PBM

• Options
    I've been listening to scatered songs from both of those albums lately.

•Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus)
    •Zoloft
    •Buttholeville

Are they playing a lot of new tunes in concert?

PBM

I know at one of the shows they did recently in Athens, they played the entire new album, but I think that was part of special kind of 3 night stand thing, a lot of times when they do shows there the setlists are different from the usual tour.
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Three weeks until Langerado!

Damn is it only 3 weeks now?

Good times.

That weekend is going to be a fuckin blast.
  • Options
    I'm trying to educate myself on most of the songs they play live.

Steve McQueen is another kick ass tune.

PBM

• Options
    I'm trying to educate myself on most of the songs they play live.

Steve McQueen is another kick ass tune.

PBM

Great song. I love the line about Alec Baldwin, makes me laugh every time. Just listened to it while I mowed the lawn.

Have a great time at the Rock Show!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Just listened to it while I mowed the lawn.

My lawn is covered with snow.

PBM

• Options
    My lawn is covered with snow.

PBM

Well, keep it mind for when you finally thaw out. Makes the job easy.

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I bought this cd, sure it's very different than what I normally listen to, but I like it (most of it).

Question - is this country music?
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I bought this cd, sure it's very different than what I normally listen to, but I like it (most of it).

I don't really think you can classify it. There are a lot of different elements to their music.

PBM

• Options
    No DBT Thread on the first page? Gotta bump it.

PBMs right, its hard to classify the DBT since they have three different songwriters in the band. Some of it has that outlaw country, storytelling feel to it though. Probably has more in common with 50's/60's country, as compared to what passes for 'country' today.

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Red Lukin wrote:
    As PBM and Merkinball stated previously, no DBT is not really Country Music. It is an updated version of Southern Rock with an Alternative twist. Speaking as a lifetime citizen of the Deep (and Dirty) South, I can recognize nearly all of the elements that one could find in their music. It would be hard, if not impossible, to separate the South from their music. However, this does not make it "Country."

Country Music today is a white, rural-focused carbon copy of the 1960's Motown empire. They have a formula by which the songs are written, the music is played and how the singer are supposed to act and look. Originality is a rare bird in today's Country Music. I say this as someone who was force-feed Country Music growing up here in Alabama. The changes that I have seen in that format over the decades have almost rendered the present unrecognizable from the past. I suspect that there is a Country Music influence in the music of DBT because growing up in this state, as Cooley, Patterson and Isbell did, one can not escape it.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I like it, but it's something I wouldn't get caught listening to up here ; )

I love in Boys of Alabama where they say "and this is our side of the story"...bad ass