Options

Drive by Truckers?

sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Ok I have been hearing good things about this band, and they are coming to town soon, so i was thinking of going to see them... I downloaded a show of theirs from etree and I am digging what I am hearing so far...

so please someone educate me.
The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The best albums are the most recent ones: "Decoration Day" and "The Dirty South." Both were either four or five stars according to Rolling Stone. I give them both five stars. The album previous to these two, "Southern Rock Opera", is one of the best concept albums to come down the pike in recent years.

They kick-ass live (I saw them in August). They change their set-list on a nightly basis. You will be watching a band with three lead vocalists and three guitarists. And they are as Southern as the day is long.

PissBottleMan says "Goddamn Lonely Love" is the great song, while I might go with "Where the Devil Won't Stay". Both are off of "The Dirty South."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Just go you will have a great time, but dont be on a tight time schedule they will play a helluva long time.
  • Options
    Just go you will have a great time, but dont be on a tight time schedule they will play a helluva long time.
    Love for DBT from someone named "Living Bubba." Who would have thunk it?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    kasiekasie Posts: 26
    ...oh they are a great band...and im sure very fun to see live...
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Tybird pretty much laid it out. The DBT flat out rock. Great live shows, no setlists, very long shows.

Living Bubba is one of my favorite DBT songs. Also Sinkhole, My Sweet Annette, Sands Of Iwo Jima, Puttin' People On the Moon, Steve McQueen...

Ah, they're all great. Go, you won't regret it. Hopefully they'll play '18 Wheels of Love' and you'll get the full intro story.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Wear a rubber and be careful who you screw.......

For the "Living Bubba"
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    The whole The Dirty South album slays me...
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    a little bump here....great, great band
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Feb 14. is a great track...the new album is highly anticipated.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Just for the record, after making this post, I have now purchased all of their records, seen them live, and will be seeing them live 2 more times in a few months.

It has been years since I have so quickly fallen in love with a band.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    Just for the record, after making this post, I have now purchased all of their records, seen them live, and will be seeing them live 2 more times in a few months.

thanks for the update!
    glad to hear it...
    here's hoping they venture north real soon..
  • Options

Truer words have not been spoken...they write great songs.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    All it took was one run through of Southern Rock Opera, and I was hooked. The new single 'Feb 14th' should be up on iTunes on Feb 7th, along with their cover of 'Like A Rolling Stone' that was featured in Uncut magazine a few weeks ago. Like a Rolling Stone has Shonna on vocals on one of the verses, the first time she sings lead in a DBT song (she's the kick-ass bass player).
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    Best. Band. To rise to prominence in the past few years, although they've been around for awhile.

Start out with DS and DD, then work backwards... and PBM speaks the truth - go listen to Feb. 14 on blessingandacurse.com...

AND BUY LIVE AT THE 40 WATT!!!! Great concert DVD.
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    All it took was one run through of Southern Rock Opera, and I was hooked. The new single 'Feb 14th' should be up on iTunes on Feb 7th, along with their cover of 'Like A Rolling Stone' that was featured in Uncut magazine a few weeks ago. Like a Rolling Stone has Shonna on vocals on one of the verses, the first time she sings lead in a DBT song (she's the kick-ass bass player).

I picked up the Uncut bonus CD on ebay, that version of Like a Rolling Stone is great.
  • Options
    I honestly wasn't planning on going to the show in Nashville because of work commitments, but I was peer-pressured into it: :D

Looks like a whole bunch of us are leaving early on Saturday morning and staying the whole weekend down in Nash-Vegas to catch the Truckers show.

First time since Pearl Jam that I am excited about seeing a show.

Are all their shows G/A?

PBM

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    ok, this thread influenced me into buying The Dirty South. It better be good :D
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    ive heard quite a few things about this group... i might have to break down and pick up an album. they sounds almost like a black crowes style band... only maybe even better judging by the rave reviews ive heard. is dirty south the consensus on first album to start with?
  • Options
    I honestly wasn't planning on going to the show in Nashville because of work commitments, but I was peer-pressured into it: :D

Looks like a whole bunch of us are leaving early on Saturday morning and staying the whole weekend down in Nash-Vegas to catch the Truckers show.

First time since Pearl Jam that I am excited about seeing a show.

Are all their shows G/A?

PBM
    I guess the club shows are probably all G/A.....the show at the Alabama Theater was assigned seating, but it is a real classy place.
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    saw them last night in Athens and they fucking blew the roof off the place. It was the last of three nights at the 40 watt. and they killed. Such and energetic show. It was my third time seeing them and by far the best.
  • Options
    clayton12 wrote:
    saw them last night in Athens and they fucking blew the roof off the place. It was the last of three nights at the 40 watt. and they killed. Such and energetic show. It was my third time seeing them and by far the best.

Did they play many new songs? and if so how were they?
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    last night they only played two new songs, feb. 14 and wednesday. both are great. thursday night they played the whole album and i heard it was amazing. people told me that the two songs that cooley sings are downright incredible. im seeing them at the end of feb. in asheville so by then i would expect them to play alot of new songs.
  • Options
    clayton12 wrote:
    last night they only played two new songs, feb. 14 and wednesday. both are great. thursday night they played the whole album and i heard it was amazing. people told me that the two songs that cooley sings are downright incredible. im seeing them at the end of feb. in asheville so by then i would expect them to play alot of new songs.

Sounds good... I am seeing them twice in March, I can't wait to hear the new stuff.
  • Options
    is dirty south the consensus on first album to start with?

I'd say so.

can't wait for this new record from them...hopefully a big new tour too...some NE US dates?
  • Options
    Dirty South is probably my favorite, but Decoration Day has some great tunes too.

PBM

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    crap.

i was just turned on to them yesterday.....sounds like i'm doomed.....
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    crap.

i was just turned on to them yesterday.....sounds like i'm doomed.....

They sucked me in really quick, I started with the Dirty South and by the end of the month I had all their CDs and had been to a show, not to mention forcing everyone I could get to sit still for five minutes listen to them.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    ok, this thread influenced me into buying The Dirty South. It better be good :D

Good? Good? Its great. Tell me you can't listen to songs like The Day John Henry Died, Puttin People on the Moon, Carl Perkins Cadillac, Sands of Iwo Jima (which is about Pattersons Uncle), Danko/Manuel, and the mighty Lookout Mountain and not say its a great album.

• Options
    I bought the CD (Dirty South) well over a year ago and still can't stop listening to it.

I think Decoration Day is just as good. Buy both if you're out there.

I have heard, but am not as familiar, with the other three albums (Southern Rock Opera, Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance). It takes a few more listens to "get", but it's good. Not as good as DS and DD though.

Patterson Hood is the heart and soul of the band, but I've been listening to more of Jason Isbell's songs lately. Can't fucking wait for his solo album. I think, of the three singer/songwriters, he's got the most talent (and a long career ahead of him as he's the youngest).

Has anyone heard Patterson's solo album "Killers and Stars"? I've been thinking about picking it up.

I could talk about this band all day.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    NakedClown wrote:
    I bought the CD (Dirty South) well over a year ago and still can't stop listening to it.

I think Decoration Day is just as good. Buy both if you're out there.

I have heard, but am not as familiar, with the other three albums (Southern Rock Opera, Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance). It takes a few more listens to "get", but it's good. Not as good as DS and DD though.

Patterson Hood is the heart and soul of the band, but I've been listening to more of Jason Isbell's songs lately. Can't fucking wait for his solo album. I think, of the three singer/songwriters, he's got the most talent (and a long career ahead of him as he's the youngest).

Has anyone heard Patterson's solo album "Killers and Stars"? I've been thinking about picking it up.

I could talk about this band all day.

holy shit, werent you on the 5h mfc board years ago?