Options

Tool - Vicarious (full version)

13»

Comments

• Options
    pejamrlpejamrl Posts: 35
    Lateralus was a good album but I was afraid with all that synthesizer shit on it where they were going with their musical style and really there was a lack of Maynard singing which is a shame for one of the greatest rock vocalists with incredible range. While the vocals lack the umph! I hope for. It seems they are getting back to the hard heavy sound they used to have on Anema and Undertow.
    Mansfield Sept 16,98'
    Aug 29,30 00'
    Jul 2,3,11 03'
    Boston Sep 28,29 04'
    Borgata Sep 30 05'
    Hartford May 13 06'
    Boston May 24,25 06'
    Mansfield June 28, 30 08'
    Vedder solo tour Aug 1 08'
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    pejamrl wrote:
    Lateralus was a good album but I was afraid with all that synthesizer shit on it where they were going with their musical style

Synthesizer shit? On Lateralus? Wha?
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    booooooooring. i heard this before. even though i didnt care much for lateralus at least it was a new sound from tool. i dont care how a song is. its either good or its not. and this one is not. i wont be going nuts for any new yngwie either. talent doesnt always equal good music and tool is proving that. well good thing i can just download this until i find it in a used bin. cause tool wont be seeing any of my money if the rest of the album sounds like this.

meaning of course, something is good or not based upon how much you like it, right?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    DieasGrey wrote:
    I love Lateralus.....but i enjoy Tool's evolving sound and this sounds like they continued right off of Lateralus.
    Musically is is outstanding. The Guitar has been done already on Schism/Lateralus. The vocals leave alot to be desired. Below average job by Maynard.

Yeah, that's my only problem with it. I think it's a fantastic, beautiful, kick ass song. However, when you know what Maynard's vocals are capable of, and he doesn't reach those limits, it's somewhat dissapointing. I like the muffled vocals, and the drumming is pure bliss. The bass and guitar are solid too. The drumming makes me want to listen to it over and over again. I definitly wasn't let down though. May 2 is going to be amazing.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    can anybody email me the track?

thanks.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    falls under 'more of the same' but it still kicks ass.

I love DC's style of playing.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    Yes, like Severed Hand is more of the same and everything Trent Reznor writes sounds the same because it's Trent Reznor. I really don't understand why this bothers people unless they don't like the band or song writer in the first place.

Regarding the vocals, we might be in a situation which as someone pointed out in the other thread, the guitarist (Who writes the music in this band? I don't know that much about how they compose) doesn't want Maynard above the music. Considering that Maynard has APC, which is vocally driven, he may have gone along with it.

Personally, I think the song is fantastic. Yes, it's related to Lateralus but so what? It's coming from the same place. If another band had produced this, you'd have something to bitch about but this is Tool, fcol.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Alessiana wrote:
    Yes, like Severed Hand is more of the same and everything Trent Reznor writes sounds the same because it's Trent Reznor. I really don't understand why this bothers people unless they don't like the band or song writer in the first place.

Regarding the vocals, we might be in a situation which as someone pointed out in the other thread, the guitarist (Who writes the music in this band? I don't know that much about how they compose) doesn't want Maynard above the music. Considering that Maynard has APC, which is vocally driven, he may have gone along with it.

Personally, I think the song is fantastic. Yes, it's related to Lateralus but so what? It's coming from the same place. If another band had produced this, you'd have something to bitch about but this is Tool, fcol.

The entire song is lifted from Tool's back catalog. I think people have a right to gripe, but they still cant deny the awesomosity of the song.

Intro is right outta The Patient

Heavy part is basically right outta Schism

the rhythm is is straight outta the Grudge

I am awaiting the rest of the album to really judge it, but if half the songs are as derivative, of their older stuff, as Vicarious, the album will be weak by comparison to the rest of Tool's catalog.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    The entire song is lifted from Tool's back catalog. I think people have a right to gripe, but they still cant deny the awesomosity of the song.

I am awaiting the rest of the album to really judge it, but if half the songs are as derivative, of their older stuff, as Vicarious, the album will be weak by comparison to the rest of Tool's catalog.

You say that, but the chorus is pretty original, and surprisingly direct for Tool. I blasted the song out really fucking loud in my car last night and it sounded incredible, it's definitely gotta be played at serious volume.
  • Options
    You say that, but the chorus is pretty original, and surprisingly direct for Tool. I blasted the song out really fucking loud in my car last night and it sounded incredible, it's definitely gotta be played at serious volume.

You dont think the chorus sounds like the very end of Schism?
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Of course they have the right to gripe. People can say anything they want. I just don't understand the logic of the complaint. The fact that you say it's awesome, then go on to talk about how the album will be weak if it's "derivative" like this song, makes no sense to me.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. I really don't understand.

I doubt anyone wants to read my early morning rants on this general topic so I won't refer anyone to them, but to me, being derivative of one's self makes sense. And with creativity among great artists, it's often the small things... the small changes that ultimately show the difference in growth.

Sometimes the change is huge and in your face, and other times it's not so apparent and you don't get it until the next work, when you can go back and reanalyse the older work and see the progression. Art, particularly music, needs perspective to be understood.

Ack, I know I'm sounding pedantic so I'll stop now. I just... I don't understand the requirement for an immediate, obvious, in your face change in order for a piece of art to be outstanding. When one reviews music history, this isn't what one finds to be a necessary characteristic of great music.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    You dont think the chorus sounds like the very end of Schism?

Not really no. I can hear little snippets from other songs, but I can hear shades of all their albums in it. I really don't care, I think the song is way up there with anything in their back catalogue. It puts all the current metal bands out there to shame.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Here is a link to an uncompressed .wav

http://www.zombalabelgroup.com/tool/Vicarious.wav.zip

Here is a link to an MP3:

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...B31Z1ARG43QCVCW

You are welcome. ;)

Thanks proff!
    Hows the wang?
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    Of course they have the right to gripe. People can say anything they want. I just don't understand the logic of the complaint. The fact that you say it's awesome, then go on to talk about how the album will be weak if it's "derivative" like this song, makes no sense to me.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. I really don't understand.

I doubt anyone wants to read my early morning rants on this general topic so I won't refer anyone to them, but to me, being derivative of one's self makes sense. And with creativity among great artists, it's often the small things... the small changes that ultimately show the difference in growth.

Sometimes the change is huge and in your face, and other times it's not so apparent and you don't get it until the next work, when you can go back and reanalyse the older work and see the progression. Art, particularly music, needs perspective to be understood.

Ack, I know I'm sounding pedantic so I'll stop now. I just... I don't understand the requirement for an immediate, obvious, in your face change in order for a piece of art to be outstanding. When one reviews music history, this isn't what one finds to be a necessary characteristic of great music.

A song can inspire awe, even if you hate it. I hate shredding, but there is no denying that Steve Vai is an awesome guitar player.

Vicarious is perfectly put together, and it does change, but almost everything in the song can be traced directly to somethin they've done before. I think they have more in them than that.

I could see it bein a bridge from Lateralus, and maybe I am unfairly comparing it way too early. Other Tool albums each have their own sound, and this one would fit anywhere on Lateralus. I was used to the changes that Tool has had between every album.

Its not the song itself I have a problem with. I have listened to it about 100 times. I like the song, its got some cool changes, Danny Carey as always is amazing, but for a band that is all about pushing the envelope, they really didnt.

I am still confident that I will love 10,000 days. Tool has never released and album that didnt blow my mind at 2 or 3 different points.
  • Options
    found this review even before the tracklisting was given out months ago

Track 1 (7min 3sec). Mesmeric start. Hypnotic beat. Jagged, angular off beats.
    Familiar trancey passages punctuated by a guitar part reminiscent of an older
    Tool track. Tribal drum beats f@!# with a lovely melody and climax with
    Maynard’s vocals. I am going to cry.

see the "older tool track" reference.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    A song can inspire awe, even if you hate it. I hate shredding, but there is no denying that Steve Vai is an awesome guitar player.

: ) We're a lot a like (heh... I've always loved that word rhythm) . I don't have to like great music to recognize it is great.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Vicarious is perfectly put together, and it does change, but almost everything in the song can be traced directly to somethin they've done before. I think they have more in them than that.

I could see it bein a bridge from Lateralus, and maybe I am unfairly comparing it way too early. Other Tool albums each have their own sound, and this one would fit anywhere on Lateralus. I was used to the changes that Tool has had between every album.

Its not the song itself I have a problem with. I have listened to it about 100 times. I like the song, its got some cool changes, Danny Carey as always is amazing, but for a band that is all about pushing the envelope, they really didnt.

This is where we're different. I don't expect a band to be different on every album no matter who they are. I also don't see Tool being "all about pushing the envelope". To me, they're all about making music. That's all any musician should be about and if at any given time, they're inspired to delve more into a specific sound or ... area of musical thought, then I can't understand the concept that they're less for doing so, particularly in the case of a band like Tool who I see as art rock.

In art rock, like in classical music, you aren't necessarily *done* with a particular musical idea or style at any given point. How could you be when there's so much to explore within that idea? The ideas themselves are very deep, in my opinion, which is why one can't or shouldn't (in my opinion) get down on Beethoven for continuing to explore the genre he created after his 3rd symphony which blew the fucking doors off of symphonic music up to that time.

Tool blew the shit wide open on Lateralus (in my opinion). I don't see that they should be done, until they're... done. Whenever, if ever, that happens.

I'd put Reznor and The Fragile in the same catagory.

It's art rock where in musical ideas are explored and revisited throughout the entire work and one might expect, into the next ones as well.

This is just my take on things. I think Tool is spectacular. We both agree on that without question. And I do respect your views.

I just hear things differently.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    : ) We're a lot a like (heh... I've always loved that word rhythm) . I don't have to like great music to recognize it is great.

This is where we're different. I don't expect a band to be different on every album no matter who they are. I also don't see Tool being "all about pushing the envelope". To me, they're all about making music. That's all any musician should be about and if at any given time, they're inspired to delve more into a specific sound or ... area of musical thought, then I can't understand the concept that they're less for doing so, particularly in the case of a band like Tool who I see as art rock.

In art rock, like in classical music, you aren't necessarily *done* with a particular musical idea or style at any given point. How could you be when there's so much to explore within that idea? The ideas themselves are very deep, in my opinion, which is why one can't or shouldn't (in my opinion) get down on Beethoven for continuing to explore the genre he created after his 3rd symphony which blew the fucking doors off of symphonic music up to that time.

Tool blew the shit wide open on Lateralus (in my opinion). I don't see that they should be done, until they're... done. Whenever, if ever, that happens.

I'd put Reznor and The Fragile in the same catagory.

It's art rock where in musical ideas are explored and revisited throughout the entire work and one might expect, into the next ones as well.

This is just my take on things. I think Tool is spectacular. We both agree on that without question. And I do respect your views.

I just hear things differently.

Very good point, I totally agree. I think a lot of people will come to love this song, it's just that it isn't what they initially wanted/expected. Plus it will most probably benefit from being heard within the context of an album and not as a single.
  • Options
    fear not ... luckily bob rock is not the producer so we do not have to worry about a Re-Lateralus a ala metallica.

now the turn off your television shirt MJK liked makes a little more sense
    https://www.toolband.com/catalog/
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.