Options

Tool - Vicarious (full version)

Comments

• Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    To the people who think this track is so mind blowing...have you heard Anemia? Now that album is mind blowing...I hope they have a couple of those style track on 10,000 Days.

Yeah they will. Go read that review of the new album. It alludes to some cool re-referencing of themes (on purpose), and taking them new places. Almost like Aenema was a forebearor to Lateralus, which was a forebearer to the themes they are exploring on this new one.

I can't wait to hear it.

Yeah, Aenema was definitely in my top 5 albums of the '90's, btw...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    thanks for the tune
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Vicarious is the first track on the record, I believe, so maybe it is kind of a bridge between the records, thus the similar sounds?
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Vicarious is the first track on the record, I believe, so maybe it is kind of a bridge between the records, thus the similar sounds?

Bingo! I think you're totally right...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    man this like the rest of tool stuff way over rated - plus their live shows leave much to be desired

Never heard that before. I think their live shows are amazing. I can't wait to see them agian.
    They are true hard rock band...what else are you looking for?
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...
  • Options
    PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    yes, this kicks ass...MAY 2ND WILL BE THE GREATEST DAY.....ever...
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    my balls hurt, because this song just kicked them.
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Echoes wrote:
    hahahahaha

I don't know why but this post made me laugh. Maybe it's because we all know how Echoes feels of Lateralus and music in general.

I can't claim myself to be a big Tool fan as I only have Lateralus and have only heard one of their other albums(not sure which, think it had Prison Sex on it or something). All the same, I like this track and I'll still pick the album up. They'll never be one of my favorite bands but just something different from the other stuff I listen to. Always good to have some variety.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    Man, Coachella cannot come quick enough!

I swear, when I saw this leak I kid you all not, I had to go walk around for a little while to get my mind ready to hear this. I had been waiting for so damn long.
  • Options
    hmm. sounds like every other tool song ever released.

don't get me wrong.....i respect tool. amazing musicians.......but they have written a couple dozen songs that all sound the same
  • Options
    tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
    I made a fresh yousendit for the mp3, since that other one appears to be toast:

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1H45YGDFQXMKN28E4YW8JQZLPC

thank you kinnd soul!!!! may 2nd is gonna be one helluva day! i may have to just take it off....2 of my fav bands new albums....wow...i cant wait! this is sounding awesome! but thats of course! its fuckin TOOL!!!!
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    okay. i'm feeling like an idiot. i have never downloaded any music EVER off the net. but i want this song . can someone tell me in very simple language how i do it.
    don't tell me just to click on the link and then download cause obviously i tried that. it told me i did not have permission. HELP ME!!!!!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    It isn't bad, but it really isn't a leap ahead or anything. And uh the lyrics kind of suck, but I won't hold that against them.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    Fucking awesome.. Thanks for the link.. May 2nd indeed is gonna be a great fucking day to head to Best Buy.. Hmmm, which one do I listen to first? Might have to flip a coin on that one..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Options
    i have no patience that's what the problem is. though i did go over to the foos site and click on a link there.
    anyhoo i'm listening to it now for about the tenth time in a row. this time on headphones cause that's how usually listen to TOOL. in the dark, lying on my bed, floating away.
    i like this song. the lyrics do kinda suck but hey after 5 years i'm prepared to give them some leeway.
    is that la la las i hear?
    i'm just so gaga for adam jones guitar. and that danny carey drumming we love so much.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I wonder how many radio stations will cut out during the lull around the 5 minute mark instead of playing the full version of the song.

Anyway, I really dig it. I can't remember a prior Tool song to this one where I knew exactly what the lyrics were about without having to think too much about it.
  • Options
    Anyway, I really dig it. I can't remember a prior Tool song to this one where I knew exactly what the lyrics were about without having to think too much about it.

really ? not even hooker with a penis????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Woah, fucking hell, this song is wicked! Really catchy, but complex at the same time, if this is a taste of things to come the album is gonna be awesome. I definitely hear a mixture of Lateralus and Aenima in the music which is cool, and the lyrics sound just fine to me.
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    booooooooring. i heard this before. even though i didnt care much for lateralus at least it was a new sound from tool. i dont care how technical or complex a song is. its either good or its not. and this one is not. i wont be going nuts for any new yngwie either. talent doesnt always equal good music and tool is proving that. well good thing i can just download this until i find it in a used bin. cause tool wont be seeing any of my money if the rest of the album sounds like this.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I love Tool as much as the next guy, but why are people talkin so highly of the song. Itsa good song, a different sound, but they repeat themselves too many times.

The intro is a mix of Schism and the Patient.

The heavy part is basically a the heavy part in Schism kinda rearranged.

I hear alotta Grudge in the rest of the song.

A Lateralus 2 isnt necessarily a bad thing.

The Kabir review makes me think the rest of the album is gonna be sorta the same as Vicarious with revisiting themes from older album.

What happened to, "push the envelope"?

The song is growin on me, but I hope they dont steal from their older albums, so liberally, on the rest of 10,000 Days.
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    its pretty cool.. its reminds me of schism tho.. mostly in the beginning..
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    neato.

• Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I love Tool as much as the next guy, but why are people talkin so highly of the song. Itsa good song, a different sound, but they repeat themselves too many times.

The intro is a mix of Schism and the Patient.

The heavy part is basically a the heavy part in Schism kinda rearranged.

I hear alotta Grudge in the rest of the song.

A Lateralus 2 isnt necessarily a bad thing.

The Kabir review makes me think the rest of the album is gonna be sorta the same as Vicarious with revisiting themes from older album.

What happened to, "push the envelope"?

The song is growin on me, but I hope they dont steal from their older albums, so liberally, on the rest of 10,000 Days.

What sound do you want to hear?
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    What sound do you want to hear?

Somethin that doesnt sound so much like their last album. That is/was one of Tool's strengths. None of their previous albums are as repetetive as this one song is.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Somethin that doesnt sound so much like their last album. That is/was one of Tool's strengths. None of their previous albums are as repetetive as this one song is.

But then there is also a chance that you don't like it. I know that bands have to improve themselves to try some new sounds, but it's always difficult to do something different that they never did in the past.
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    But then there is also a chance that you don't like it. I know that bands have to improve themselves to try some new sounds, but it's always difficult to do something different that they never did in the past.

Thatsa pretty lame excuse. They really shouldnt let the fact that people might not like it, change their music.

For a group of professional musicians with the chops that Tool collectively have, it shouldnt be difficult to not repeat themselves.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Thatsa pretty lame excuse. They really shouldnt let the fact that people might not like it, change their music.

For a group of professional musicians with the chops that Tool collectively have, it shouldnt be difficult to not repeat themselves.

Perhaps look at it this way, if it had been on Lateralus would you have skipped the song? I know the song does bare some similarities to Schism, but not the whole song, and musically speaking it is an impressive song. I guess some people have exceptionally high expectations.
  • Options
    I wish Metallica made a Master of Puppets II, but they didn't and they made the Loads.
  • Options
    Perhaps look at it this way, if it had been on Lateralus would you have skipped the song? I know the song does bare some similarities to Schism, but not the whole song, and musically speaking it is an impressive song. I guess some people have exceptionally high expectations.

I do have high expectations, and rightfully so. This is the first Tool release I have been a hardcore fan for and I know it will be special. I was just expecting somethin different, since thats what they have given us the other 4 times.

First listen, was kinda bleh. I played a few other songs then played Vicarious again. It took a few listen to really get it, but when I did I was still thinking, this shoulda been on Lateralus. They have never done that before, imo. The songs on each album are almost exclusive to that album.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008

Yeah...I'm with the other dude. I was hoping for something a little different. I like how TOOL evolved from Opiate to Lateralus...now it sorta sounds like they stalled. I just want them to do some more innovative and crazy shit. I'm sure they have some on the album and I'm betting they knew this was a single from the get go.