My Morning Jacket - Academy, Manchester (June 27th, 2008)

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I saw MMJ last night, and my god i was blown away. This is easily the best non-PJ gig i've ever seen. The new songs sounded fantastic and made me love the new record even more.

We didn't want to see the opener, so we sat in the bar next door for a drink, then everyone poured out in between sets so we wandered in about 10 minutes before MMJ took the stage. The Academy is tiny, so we just strolled right to the front. No barrier, just stood in front of the stage.

Jim James is a brilliant frontman with a magnetic stage presence. He kept smiling and winking at me because i was so into every song.

1. Evil Urges
2. Off The Record
3. Gideon
4. Anytime
5. Bermuda Highway
6. Lowdown
7. Sec Walkin
8. Golden
9. Thank You Too!
10. I'm Amazed
11. Highly Suspicious
12. Remnants
13. Dancefloors
14. Phone Went West
15. Smokin From Shootin
16. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2.
17. Wordless Chorus
18. Lay Low
19. Dondante
20. Mahgeetah
21. One Big Holiday

Everyone stood in their own space for the whole show, with room to dance and feel comfortable. Then, One Big Holiday stated and everyone crushed forward! It was pure madness for the last five minutes, but i loved it!

Oh, and Touch Me Pt. 2 floored me. I love it even more now.
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    Great setlist....god I'm so excited to see them at Red Rocks in August.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Glad you had a great show. Thanks for the set list.
    Holding on for September in VA.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Cool set- I like that they spread out Evil Urges. New Years Eve show will be incredible!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I would KILL to see them at MSG, chances of getting to America is slim though.

The new tracks sound PERFECT live. They're polished, like they've been playing them for years.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• I had a fucking blast!!! Jim James loved us although now I'm quite scared of his feet :eek: ;)
    I have the set list proudly sat next to me and some AMAZING photos.

The band were so tight and perfect live, The new songs sounded as if they'd been rehersed for years and they seemed to only be on the stage 5 mins. I was a fan before the show but being a MMJ live virgin, I really had my eyes opened... absolutely awesome :D

Audiodave and myself considering travelling to Nottingham to see them again next week :o
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    I had a fucking blast!!! Jim James loved us although now I'm quite scared of his feet :eek: ;)
    I have the set list proudly sat next to me and some AMAZING photos.

The band were so tight and perfect live, The new songs sounded as if they'd been rehersed for years and they seemed to only be on the stage 5 mins. I was a fan before the show but being a MMJ live virgin, I really had my eyes opened... absolutely awesome :D

Audiodave and myself considering travelling to Nottingham to see them again next week :o

lol, go for it! You'll have a blast, although you won't have the pleasure of mine and Naomi's company. Can you handle that?

• Can you handle that?
    Yes.

(Dave typed that... i'll miss you :( - Sian x)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• TiaMija wrote:
    Glad you had a great show. Thanks for the set list.
    Holding on for September in VA.

Me, too. I just bought my ticket for the Charlottesville show yesterday.
    Yes.

(Dave typed that... i'll miss you :( - Sian x)

aww, at least you're being nice Sian!

Dave....don't make me make you my prison bitch. Again!

• I'm uploading pics now so i'll get some up as soon as I can :)

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    who"s opening for them???
    the Minions
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    simply one of the best live acts out there right now.

shame the halls are going to get bigger and bigger
    as this tour rolls on
  • Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous. :o:p

You should be... it WAS as amazing as it looks :o:p

• You should be... it WAS as amazing as it looks :o:p

They're not even playing Ireland. :mad: Both them and the Drive-By Truckers completely skipped Ireland on their European tours this year. I therefore newly hate every other country, ever. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • They're not even playing Ireland. :mad: Both them and the Drive-By Truckers completely skipped Ireland on their European tours this year. I therefore newly hate every other country, ever. :D

Now, now... that just sounds bitter and twisted.

Oh, Did I mention I got a setlist and spent the whole gig practically under Jim James?

:p;)

• Now, now... that just sounds bitter and twisted.

Oh, Did I mention I got a setlist and spent the whole gig practically under Jim James?

:p;)

How did Audiodave feel about you spending all that time under Jim? ;)

Eek... that's my bitter and twisted side. :o:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • How did Audiodave feel about you spending all that time under Jim? ;)

Eek... that's my bitter and twisted side. :o:p

He was behind me... it was like a Audio/James sandwich... Mmmm... no! wait! that could be very wrong :o

Can you blame me?! Mr James is rather tasty lookin'... :o

• He was behind me... it was like a Audio/James sandwich... Mmmm... no! wait! that could be very wrong :o

Can you blame me?! Mr James is rather tasty lookin'... :o

I don't even want to imagine what kinda thoughts were going through your head during Highly Suspicious... Probably thinking about all kinds of possible meanings for his peanut butter pudding surprise... :p
    I don't even want to imagine what kinda thoughts were going through your head during Highly Suspicious... Probably thinking about all kinds of possible meanings for his peanut butter pudding surprise... :p

Come on now, let's not let Sian have all the glory....Jim James did in fact WINK AT ME and smile at me a LOT! I think there was some man-love between the two of us. :)

• Come on now, let's not let Sian have all the glory....Jim James did in fact WINK AT ME and smile at me a LOT! I think there was some man-love between the two of us. :)

Congratulations... I guess... :confused:;):p
    Congratulations... I guess... :confused:;):p

lol that's ok, you can be happy for me! Naomi and I were stood with Dave and Sian so Jim James was in front of us all night. I'm always down with a bit of celebrity man-love :)

• I don't even want to imagine what kinda thoughts were going through your head during Highly Suspicious... Probably thinking about all kinds of possible meanings for his peanut butter pudding surprise... :p
    Oh I shook my ass like a bad mofo to that one, I can tell ya ;)
    lol that's ok, you can be happy for me! Naomi and I were stood with Dave and Sian so Jim James was in front of us all night. I'm always down with a bit of celebrity man-love :)
    Ross digs the man-love... as does Mr James... he seemed to like all of us quite a bit, I remember him looking at Dave's grinning mush a fair bit :eek::p

• Oh I shook my ass like a bad mofo to that one, I can tell ya ;)

I don't think there's any way to not shake your ass like a bad mofo to that. :D Also, I just saw you got Remnants, which increases my jealousy about threefold - I fucking love that song! I was just blasting it on vinyl earlier today. :D
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I don't think there's any way to not shake your ass like a bad mofo to that. :D Also, I just saw you got Remnants, which increases my jealousy about threefold - I fucking love that song! I was just blasting it on vinyl earlier today. :D
    Fecking AWESOME song. Really good live aswell. ;):p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Fecking AWESOME song. Really good live aswell. ;):p

Remind me to punch every one of you guys in the throat for rubbing this in so much. :p
  • Remind me to punch every one of you guys in the throat for rubbing this in so much. :p

It gets better...

For you:

http://www.indiecredential.com/?p=325

The initial female scream from the audience at the beginning is me :o

• It gets better...

For you:

http://www.indiecredential.com/?p=325

The initial female scream from the audience at the beginning is me :o

I'm trying so hard not to hate you. So... so... hard. :p

Seriously though, wow. I'm glad you got to see such an incredible gig. :)
  • I'm trying so hard not to hate you. So... so... hard. :p

Seriously though, wow. I'm glad you got to see such an incredible gig. :)

Thanks, I will stop now... Guides honor :)