Tool vs. A Perfect Circle

13»

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    All you fans need a Tool in your Perfect Circle.
    #FHP
  • r2g2r2g2 Posts: 66
    IMO:

APC = Tool Lite

Tool by a mile
    I said Yeaaaaaaah!
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I was just listening to both bands, and I love them both.

I think I like APC a little more though. No discredit to Tool at all, but I think I relate to APC's lyrics a little more closely. I dunno, what do you think?

I think they spund exactly the same
  • pouch15 wrote:
    I think you need to get your hearing checked then.
  • I think Maynard is a lot better in APC because they're a little more stylistically diverse which allows him to stretch out more. Tool is just too rooted in the chugga chugga dropped D stuff, a lot of the songs end up having similar vocal lines simply because Maynard has written every melody you can over a vamp in D. Tool would be great if they had the melodic sense of APC.
  • spiral outspiral out Posts: 1,052
    Tool are my favorite, i love maynard lyrics on all the albums and i love all the really long songs, there like a special little journey.

A perfect circle are really great too, i love Mer De Noms and Thirteenth step but musically it's quite different and they don't compare.

There both brilliant in there own right.
    Keep on rockin in the free world!!!!

The economy has polarized to the point where the wealthiest 10% now own 85% of the nation’s wealth. Never before have the bottom 90% been so highly indebted, so dependent on the wealthy.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    sometimes tool gets to sounding like a rehash of their earlier stuff, but there are still enough subtle differences to keep their albums distinct from one another. by sticking to their sound, they've been able to maintain consistency in the quality of their music. Whereas, a lot of apc stuff is hit and miss experimentation. i gotta hand it to maynard for reaching into new territory, but the result has been choppy album after choppy album in comparison to every single one of tool's albums.
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I suppose nowadays I would have to go with APC, I have seen tool live and the only other band besides pj that I would go to see now is apc. I guess I have just mellowed out as far as prefrences go, the last 2 albums from tool have been alright but maybe just a little too eccentric for my tastes, not to say their aren't good songs on lateralus and 10k days, just not as many as the first 3 albums to me. The comparison to aic and mad season was a good one even though the ms album was just a 1 time deal while apc continues on along side tool. Does anyone know a time frame of when the next apc album is expected if ever? I know tool is currently on tour but damn I need some new circle stuff.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • tool has the better musical moments but you sometimes have to wade through wankery to get there..

whereas apc are more immediate and imo mjk is better live with apc because he forgets about the bullshit postruing (not completely but more so than with tool)

much as i have a place in my heart and cd collection for tool, apc takes it for me.

however, if i were stoned, it would be the other way around
  • Tool.

Definitely.
  • ParasolParasol Posts: 319
    APC

by a mile
    --- Barcelona 01/09/2006 ---
    ---- Lisbon 04/09/2006
    ---- Lisbon 05/09/2006
    "One of the best...The Best! Thank You!" Eddie Vedder. 05/09/2006 Lisbon, Portugal
    2007:
    ---- Lisbon 08/06/2007 ----
    ---- London 18/06/2007 ----
    --- Nijmegen 28/06/2007 ---
    --- Werchter 29/06/2007 ---
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    one word: emotive

tool by 1000 miles
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I like both bands, but would have to say I like the diversity of APC better. I think their music has many more dimensions in the tempos.

Also, I didn’t really listen to the new Tool too much, but the first release off that album seems like it had the same damn music as the single from the previous album. That album should have been half price if the music wasn’t going to change.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    the only thing i can offer is..

when i listen to tool...i become pissed off

when i listen to a perfect circle.. i get irked...but im not as pissed :)

i like both bands...but a perfect circle is my choice

trying to escape my angry teenage years :)
  • I think Maynard is a lot better in APC because they're a little more stylistically diverse which allows him to stretch out more. Tool is just too rooted in the chugga chugga dropped D stuff, a lot of the songs end up having similar vocal lines simply because Maynard has written every melody you can over a vamp in D. Tool would be great if they had the melodic sense of APC.
    I disagree. Then they wouldn't be Tool. Tool's sound and general darkness is what makes them legendary.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • I was just listening to both bands, and I love them both.

I think I like APC a little more though. No discredit to Tool at all, but I think I relate to APC's lyrics a little more closely. I dunno, what do you think?

Same shit, different day.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127
    pouch15 wrote:

Huh?

I guess they sound to you like country music does to me. It all sounds the same, because I never listen to it.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    this thread is quite funny. it is ok to like both bands!

(or dislike both bands if you so choose)
  • ArtMarsArtMars Posts: 109
    I like them both, but Tool is overall better!