Tool vs. A Perfect Circle

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The term new popular rock resonates with APC, but not with Tool. Tool has been a pioneer for the alternative scene for 15+ years now, far from new or popular. They have been on the other side of that line since the beginning.

I know that they have been around for awhile, and yes they are pretty popular, and I think those newer bands sound like them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I must respectfully disagree with your opinion.

We agree.
    The singer is very talanted.

Their band is solid and has a great image.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Their sound is too much like Korn, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Incubus, etc.

You have clearly never listened to Tool. The equivalent of your comment would be to say that Pearl Jam's sound is too much like Creed and Nickleback...very very wrong and overly insulting...
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • I know that they have been around for awhile, and yes they are pretty popular, and I think those newer bands sound like them.

Well, following your argument...Creed, Daughtry, and Shinedown sound like Pearl Jam...so wrong...so very very wrong.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • i like both a lot... but the melodies of APC grab me more than the eccentricities of the tool albums. not to say that they aren't great (especially aenima and lateralus) but APC is a lot easier for me to relate to and appreciate. tool is awesome if i want to sit down and listen to a whole record and think about it and absorb everything, but if i'm just listening to music while driving or something, i prefer APC. i dont' feel like i have to listen to a whole album all at once to "get" a single song.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    i used to like Tool... when i was in high school. ... and before i discovered Isis.

what i really hate about Tool is how long it takes them to release a mediocre album and all these fanboys lap it up. yeah, i know they're great musicans but how many times can you listen to a 15 minute song that doesn't go anywhere? some of that stuff at the end of Lateralus is just horrible. AND i had to sit through some of that stuff live.. talk about being bored out of my skull! heard a good chunk of the newest album and alot of the riffs sounded like Godsmack or something i'd already heard on AEnema.

like i said before, i'm not in high school anymore.

Woah... you think Tools music is less productive than Isis'? That just doesn't make sense. I have listened to Isis, and I like them, but there is no way they intrigue me more than Tool ever have or will. Isis don't have many lyrics... which is their choice, (and of course I don't believe you need lyrics to make good music) but Maynards vocals and lyrics just completely blow the mind. 10,000 days live was just a fantastic experience, and I can't imagine Isis putting on such a show. But I guess I'll find out over the summer when I go see them... then I'll be more qualified to judge.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • APC has better melodies for the most part and its more straight-forward rock. I think APC are a lot more accessible but Tool are more rewarding when you do get to something really good. For instance I don't think Maynard has ever sung anything better than the "i dropped my pen" section of "rosetta stoned."
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Their sound is too much like Korn, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Incubus, etc.
    WTF??????

Im sorry but Tool and APC sound NOTHING like Korn!! I love all three bands (well, Korn i like, but not love) but Korn should not even be compared to APC or Tool. Completely different sounds i think.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    APC has better melodies for the most part and its more straight-forward rock. I think APC are a lot more accessible but Tool are more rewarding when you do get to something really good. For instance I don't think Maynard has ever sung anything better than the "i dropped my pen" section of "rosetta stoned."
    I agree with every word you wrote.....ah, typed! :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
    i like both a lot... but the melodies of APC grab me more than the eccentricities of the tool albums. not to say that they aren't great (especially aenima and lateralus) but APC is a lot easier for me to relate to and appreciate. tool is awesome if i want to sit down and listen to a whole record and think about it and absorb everything, but if i'm just listening to music while driving or something, i prefer APC. i dont' feel like i have to listen to a whole album all at once to "get" a single song.
    completely off track, but as i type this your post count says 1000 so i just thought ide congratulate you!
  • I am going to say neither. Both are overrated.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    I LOVE A Perfect Circle but TOOL wrote Roseta Stoned :D Sorry APC :D
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    APC for me, not a Tool fan.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread and i forget who it was so my apologies, but it comes down to what stlye you like between the two bands. APC is a bit more mainstream verse chorus verse rock music, and the riffs are not as heavy.

If that is more your style you might enjoy APC more then Tool.

I agree i think both bands have talent. I think tool has a lot more.

What bothers me about tool though is their lack of albums. Someone said they have been around longer then PJ. so PJ has 8 albums and Tool has 4 albums and an EP......

That is my only complaint about the band.

Now I noticed isis came up. Great band. I'm going to briefly hi jack this thread. Those who like Isis and to some extent tool do you like pelican and do you suggest checking them out? I've had an itch to buy one of their albums and just have not taken the plunge yet.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    What bothers me about tool though is their lack of albums. Someone said they have been around longer then PJ. so PJ has 8 albums and Tool has 4 albums and an EP......

quality over quantity! part of the lack of albums is due to the time spent sueing zoo records (i think) to get out of their record deal, only to re-sign with them again. that took a good 2 years out of their career and delayed the release of aenema. there might be another tool album a bit sooner as i read that, due to timing and maynard touring/recording with tool, apc are no more.

i love both bands but if pushed i would choose tool.
    intodeep wrote:
    Now I noticed isis came up. Great band. I'm going to briefly hi jack this thread. Those who like Isis and to some extent tool do you like pelican and do you suggest checking them out? I've had an itch to buy one of their albums and just have not taken the plunge yet.

if you like isis, i'm fairly sure you would like pelican too. i don't have all their albums but can certainly recommend 'The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw' and 'March Into The Sea'. You might also like to check out a swedish band called Cult Of Luna too.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    too hard to compare. James once said that APC was his softer right brained side. In my opinion, it is comparing apples and oranges.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    Seen both bands live and they were both amazing in different ways. It is almost like Maynard is a different person!
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    WTF??????

Im sorry but Tool and APC sound NOTHING like Korn!! I love all three bands (well, Korn i like, but not love) but Korn should not even be compared to APC or Tool. Completely different sounds i think.

The drumming and guitar are similar
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • easy for me...TOOL
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • completely off track, but as i type this your post count says 1000 so i just thought ide congratulate you!

thank you.

i'd have more if i wasn't such a lurker. i just don't have a lot to say i guess.
  • The drumming and guitar are similar

Hardly, APC are far more alt-rock, where Korn are more metal based.

Anyway my two pennies worth: I prefer Tool cause they have more decent songs than APC, that said APC did do some incredible stuff like:

Judith
    The Hollow
    3 Libres
    The Outsider (in fact here's a wicked live version http://youtube.com/watch?v=uXlKkzjkheg)
    Passive
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Lisa81 wrote:
    Seen both bands live and they were both amazing in different ways. It is almost like Maynard is a different person!
    You are dead on with this comment. And, my two cents about the Korn, Tool, APC comment, Korn isn't in the same league. I don't mind Korn, I have seen them several times live, but not the same caliber or quality band Tool is.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    intodeep wrote:
    Tool is 10,000 times better then APC :)

Agree...totally!

TOOL is amazing! Unique...

APC is more an average band imo.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Hard to pick one but i think i have to go for................. apc
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • Their sound is too much like Korn, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Incubus, etc.

Uhhh, first off, Incubus has been around since 91. Second... Tool nor APC sound anything like Incubus. I'll just end with this question.. have you even heard Incubus?
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Jennytree wrote:
    Woah... you think Tools music is less productive than Isis'? That just doesn't make sense. I have listened to Isis, and I like them, but there is no way they intrigue me more than Tool ever have or will. Isis don't have many lyrics... which is their choice, (and of course I don't believe you need lyrics to make good music) but Maynards vocals and lyrics just completely blow the mind. 10,000 days live was just a fantastic experience, and I can't imagine Isis putting on such a show. But I guess I'll find out over the summer when I go see them... then I'll be more qualified to judge.
    I saw Isis open for Tool this tour. I must say that Isis was one of the shittiest acts I've had to sit through. Just plain boring!
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • I saw Isis open for Tool this tour. I must say that Isis was one of the shittiest acts I've had to sit through. Just plain boring!

i'm sure that isis are a terrible opening band if you don't know any of their music. i find their albums take months to fully reveal themselves, so i can see why you would find them boring.

they are worth listening to though.
    The drumming and guitar are similar
    minus the bass, Korns Feildy does alot more slap bass.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw Isis open for Tool this tour. I must say that Isis was one of the shittiest acts I've had to sit through. Just plain boring!

Isis is not for everybody. they are not your typical radio freindly band. If you are not interested in that kind of music i could see how it could be boring, but they are very good at the style of music they make.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Uhhh, first off, Incubus has been around since 91. Second... Tool nor APC sound anything like Incubus. I'll just end with this question.. have you even heard Incubus?

That is the exact same question I was going to ask. How, in any way, shape, or form, do Incubus sound like Tool or APC?

I agree with what most people here are saying, even though I said I prefer APC. I think this is simply for the fact that they are more accesible, and I haven't given Tool nearly enough time for it to really sink in. I probably will one day, I really like MJK's voice.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07