Tool vs. A Perfect Circle

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited February 2007 in Other Music
I was just listening to both bands, and I love them both.

I think I like APC a little more though. No discredit to Tool at all, but I think I relate to APC's lyrics a little more closely. I dunno, what do you think?
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Not a big fan of either, but I can stand APC at times. Count me as one of hte people who just doesn't "get" Tool and their appeal. Some talented guys in the band, but I can't get into their albums at all.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Tool is 10,000 times better then APC :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I could never really get into any APC after Mer De Noms, which I absolutely loved. The thing is, even though I like that album more than any Tool album, I generally like more Tool across the board than APC.

Does that make sense? Like Mer De Noms much more than any Tool album, but like more variety/general Tool than APC.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Nine Inch Nails. :D

I'm not really a fan of either, but I would probably say APC.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I like TOOL because of the weird "TOOL-ness" of it all, and teh sweet sweet basslines but sometimes they fall into the wanking too often, like the bullshit filler tracks and muffin recipes from Nuremburg. APC is more straight forward which is nice, less rewarding though, so really a coin toss.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Tool by a millions miles. I like Mer de noms but thats about it from APC. I just cant get into their sound. Tool on the other hand, whether you agree with me or not, speak to me in a way that very few bands do.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Tool by a millions miles. I like Mer de noms but thats about it from APC. I just cant get into their sound. Tool on the other hand, whether you agree with me or not, speak to me in a way that very few bands do.

I personally think "Thirteenth Step" is their best. Just my opinion though.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • APC had James Iha, so that's automatic cool points.

But Tool is... well, tool.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    Tool in a landslide. But yes, they throw way too much filler crap in some of their albums. They are quite impressive live. They need to play longer though. They've got enough material to do so.
    Live Free or Die!
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Well I don't think APC have much of a chance. Mer De Noms is a great album, and so too is Thirteenth Step, but eMotive was bollix... and two good albums versus all of the Tool catalogue just isn't fair!

Tool win hands down!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • could never get into either of these bands.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • I would have to go with tool but the first a perfect circle album was as good as any of the tool albums. After that they went downhill.
  • Discarding 10,000 Days... Tool is butter. If 10,000 Days was included, still Tool, but I just don't like 10,000 Days, so I'm going to get rid of it! However... 3 Libras is so fucking good.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    saw A Perfect Circle open for NIN on the Fragile tour and bought their fist record... not impressed at all. thought it was very boring music.

i used to like Tool... when i was in high school. ... and before i discovered Isis.

what i really hate about Tool is how long it takes them to release a mediocre album and all these fanboys lap it up. yeah, i know they're great musicans but how many times can you listen to a 15 minute song that doesn't go anywhere? some of that stuff at the end of Lateralus is just horrible. AND i had to sit through some of that stuff live.. talk about being bored out of my skull! heard a good chunk of the newest album and alot of the riffs sounded like Godsmack or something i'd already heard on AEnema.

like i said before, i'm not in high school anymore.
  • I can't understand how anyone could look at these 2 bands and say APC is better or even in the same league as Tool. If Maynard wasn't in both bands, I doubt anyone would try to compare the 2. This is like comparing Alice In Chains to Mad Season....silly.

Tool is superior to APC in every way except for vocals...the vocals are an obvious tie since it's the same guy. But the complexity of the music, the synergy between the band members, and the depth of artistic expression don't even compare.

I can see how someone can like APC better since the lyrics and mood for APC are different (obviously designed by Maynard as an experiment in gender relations and contrasts), but all the qualities that make a band greater go to Tool.
  • Saturnal wrote:
    . This is like comparing Alice In Chains to Mad Season
    great analogy.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • without a doubt TOOL!!!!
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Being a lachrymist, it's tool all the way. I generally dislike APC, except for Judith, Thinking of You, Pet, and the cover of Imagine.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    both are actual shit
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • both are actual shit
    I understand. It took me awhile to stray from my 4/4 timing comfort zone.
    I understand. It took me awhile to stray from my 4/4 timing comfort zone.

Its not just that, I hate the guys voice, their arrangements make no sense, and I dont like their image
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Its not just that, I hate the guys voice, their arrangements make no sense, and I dont like their image

I must respectfully disagree with your opinion.
  • Its not just that, I hate the guys voice, their arrangements make no sense, and I dont like their image
    To each his own. I think the singer has a very powerful voice and I love the musical arrangements. The Fibonacci sequence in Lateralus is amazing, combined with the 9/8 - 8/8 - 7/8 timing. I like the anti-establishment image that they have created for themselves too. For the most part, they still have personal freedom.
    To each his own. I think the singer has a very powerful voice and I love the musical arrangements. The Fibonacci sequence in Lateralus is amazing, combined with the 9/8 - 8/8 - 7/8 timing. I like the anti-establishment image that they have created for themselves too. For the most part, they still have personal freedom.

I respect them for making interesting music, I just cant stand their music. To me they sound like a band mixing progressive with post grunge (awful new popular rock)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I respect them for making interesting music, I just cant stand their music. To me they sound like a band mixing progressive with post grunge (awful new popular rock)

I don't quite understand what you mean by "new popular rock"...Tool has been around since 1990 (that's before PJ!!!) Their sound is anything but new...they helped to create the alternative that you love and adore...look at the history...Tool is there and they always will be...
    I don't quite understand what you mean by "new popular rock"...Tool has been around since 1990 (that's before PJ!!!) Their sound is anything but new...they helped to create the alternative that you love and adore...look at the history...Tool is there and they always will be...

Their sound is too much like Korn, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Incubus, etc.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• The term new popular rock resonates with APC, but not with Tool. Tool has been a pioneer for the alternative scene for 15+ years now, far from new or popular. They have been on the other side of that line since the beginning.
  • Their sound is too much like Korn, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, Incubus, etc.
    You musta been high
  • yosi wrote:
    I could never really get into any APC after Mer De Noms, which I absolutely loved. The thing is, even though I like that album more than any Tool album, I generally like more Tool across the board than APC.

Does that make sense? Like Mer De Noms much more than any Tool album, but like more variety/general Tool than APC.

yes, But on a whole nother scale the second album was very differant and cool.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Jennytree wrote:
    Well I don't think APC have much of a chance. Mer De Noms is a great album, and so too is Thirteenth Step, but eMotive was bollix... and two good albums versus all of the Tool catalogue just isn't fair!

Tool win hands down!

You have to keep in mind it is a side project.

Josh freeze is the drummer and he has an another band.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows