--{({The=White=Stripes=})}--

Comments

• i love "the big three killed my baby", that is an awesome song. "stop breaking down" is another one of my favorites.

i am so pissed at myself that i'm missing their show here in Coney Island, it's like 5 minutes away from my house, but i blew all of my concert money on u2 tickets. sounds like the stripes are putting on some cool shows and it's cool to see that the setlist is just not GBMS heavy.
    The Stones did "Stop Breaking Down" on Exile On Main Street, the Stripes do a nice job with it too.
    Work, consume, work, consume...are you free?
  • {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    best 00's band. along with Arcade Fire!
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
    i fucking love Isis cover! on self titled album
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • I'll have to check out Arcade Fire.

But I would say that the best two bands out there now are The White Stripes and Bright Eyes. If you don't have I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, you really need to check it out. It will be an album that will be listened to for years and years to come.
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Pat H wrote:
    it's a very awesome DVD

OMG Pat H you can say that again. That is the best DVD i ever saw. I thought Eddie Vedder gave a raw really passionate performance but compared to jack! jeez this guy is like a machine, he just rips it up one song onto another! The crowd at Hardest Button and Hotel Yorba was unbelievable!! Highlight for me was maybe You're Pretty Good Looking... amazing. I can't stop thinking about this DVD and can't wait to get home and watch it again!! If you're a fan and haven't seen this - i will refund you myself if you don't enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
  • White on White
    Jack and Meg White remain rock & roll's biggest mystery
    By DAVID FRICKE

Jack White pulls his black Ford pickup truck to the curb on a quiet, tree-lined street in his native Detroit and hits the 'play' button on the CD player in the cherry-red dashboard. He turns the volume up to deafening and grins proudly as howitzer-fire drumming and squeals of distorted guitar rattle the windshield. There are bursts of marimba, too, which sound like someone shaking a bag of bones. The singing is really just shouting, and the lyrics are kid stuff: "You're my top special, baby/Top! Top!" But the total effect is elementary, irresistible ecstasy.
    Jack is playing "Top Special," a new White Stripes track recorded a week earlier with drummer Meg White -- who is sitting quietly in the back seat -- for a special Japanese single. The chorus, Jack says over the din, is a phrase popular with Japanese teens: "It basically means 'You're my best friend.'"

There is no better way to describe the White Stripes themselves. A few days later they perform "Top Special" for an adoring audience at Keller Auditorium in Portland, Oregon, the fifth stop on their current U.S. tour, promoting the Top Five album Get Behind Me Satan. But Jack and Meg are playing to each other. He stands at a mike set at the foot of her kit, his eyes pinned on her as he sings and thrashes his guitar. She looks up at him with the same undivided attention as she keeps steady, thundering time.

It is a perfect picture of a remarkable bond. Publicly, Jack and Meg, both thirty, claim to be brother and sister, even though a Detroit newspaper blew their cover a couple of years ago, revealing them to be ex-husband and -wife (married in 1996, divorced in 2000). But on their five albums as the White Stripes, and especially onstage, there is no mistaking the truth of their relationship. They make music like inseparable kindred spirits. "It will always be us two," Jack says of the Stripes over lunch that day in Detroit. "I will never do the White Stripes with another drummer. She'll never do it with another guitarist."

The White Stripes are at a commercial and creative peak. Satan is their third hit album in a row, following the 2001 breakthrough White Blood Cells and 2003's Elephant. Satan is also their boldest record, combining the Stripes' whiplash rock and Jack's passion for vintage blues and country music with a gothic-roadhouse tension scored with grand piano and marimba. "There is an authenticity about everything Jack does," says T Bone Burnett, who produced Jack's solo tracks on the soundtrack to the 2003 film Cold Mountain. "I don't know many people under thirty who have done the research Jack has done -- and can do a credible Blind Willie McTell cover."

The White Stripes are, in most ways, Jack's creation. He writes the songs, plays everything except drums and devised the band's peppermint-stripe color scheme. And he does almost all the talking. "I'm just a very shy person," Meg confesses at lunch, although she defends the primal quality of her drumming with sweet firmness. "That is my strength. A lot of drummers would feel weird about being that simplistic."

Born John Gillis in 1975, Jack (who took Meg's surname when they married) actually started out as a drummer, at age five. But music was not his first career choice. In high school, Jack, a Catholic, seriously thought of entering the priesthood. After graduating, he considered joining the Marines but instead worked as an upholsterer and, for a time, as a gofer on TV car-commercial shoots. "I could see that it was impossible to get your ideas across, with all the people -- the soundman, lighting people, producers -- you had to go through," he says. "I suppose that put me in the direction of a two-piece band."

Jack played drums and guitar in several Detroit garage bands (Two Part Resin, the Go, Goober and the Peas, the Hentchmen) before he and Meg, another Detroit native, made their local live debut in 1997. Jack soon found that underground cool came at a price. "We were everybody's secret band," he says. "Then our second album [De Stijl] came out, and it was 'Oh, they're not that good anymore.' When we hit the mainstream, I had to go through that game all over again, on a worldwide scale."

Jack may be a reluctant star, but he is a fireball in conversation. He speaks at high speed, his brown eyes looking directly at you like derringer barrels, and his laugh is a series of short, sharp bangs, like a string of firecrackers going off. For more than three hours, over two sessions, he goes into excited detail about, among other things, the Captain Beefheart and Gun Club records that blew his teenage mind, the album he produced for his idol Loretta Lynn (2004's Van Lear Rose) and the record he's finishing with his new band, the Raconteurs, formed with fellow Detroit rocker Brendan Benson.

"I've got enough time," Jack says cheerfully of having two groups at once. "I don't have a day job anymore." And Meg claims she is not worried about the effect on the White Stripes' future. "Jack's always done five things at once," she says. "He was in two other bands when we started this one. This is not unusual."

Get Behind Me Satan must be the most overdubbed album you've ever made. Did you worry about how you would perform those songs live? A duo can only make so much music without tapes and samples.

I've always centered the band around the number three. Everything was vocals, guitar and drums or vocals, piano and drums. So what's the difference? I can only play one thing at a time. The minimalism is still there: vocals, marimba and drums or vocals, grand piano and drums. Or I play piano, Meg plays timpani and she sings. It's all in threes.

The whole point of the White Stripes is the liberation of limiting yourself. In my opinion, too much opportunity kills creativity. I remember in high school, a friend of mine had a magazine with a story about some popular band of the time that was recording an album. The story said they had eighty guitars in the studio to choose from and that there were over 120 tracks of guitar on this one song. Good Lord! Listen to the Stooges' Fun House. You know there can't be more than one track of guitar on there [laughs]. Maybe two.

But when I first saw the White Stripes live, it took me a while to get used to the hole in your sound. I kept asking myself, "Where's the bass? Where's the bottom?"

I can see that. I was in high school when I first heard the Flat Duo Jets. They were a guitar/drums band, and I thought the same thing. Then, within months, they became my favorite band. Some kind of rawness hit me, and I saw there was no need for anything else.

A year ago, I listened to the first tape Meg and I made. It's a recording of the first time we played together. It still sounds raw and cool. We did [David Bowie's] "Moonage Daydream." Then we wrote "Screwdriver," our first song. There was a red screwdriver sitting on the table. We wrote the song that afternoon, and it hasn't changed at all since that day.

When we play a song I wrote, it's the White Stripes covering a Jack White song -- that's the best way to describe it. I write most of my songs on piano and acoustic guitar. Then I show it to Meg, and it's like, "OK, how can we do this onstage?" That becomes the way we do it, from then on.

Are there times when Meg's style of drumming is too limiting -- that you can't take a song as far as you'd like to go?

No. I never thought, "God, I wish Neil Peart was in this band." It's kind of funny: When people critique hip-hop, they're scared to open up, for fear of being called racist. But they're not scared to open up on female musicians, out of pure sexism.

Meg is the best part of this band. It never would have worked with anybody else, because it would have been too complicated. When she started to play drums with me, just on a lark, it felt liberating and refreshing. There was something in it that opened me up. It was my doorway to playing the blues, without anyone over my shoulder going, "Oh, white-boy blues, white-boy bar band." I could really get down to something.

Do you think the brother-sister thing was a miscalculation -- that you overdid the mythmaking?

I saw a review of our new album, and it said, "Every single component of the White Stripes is a gigantic lie." What does that mean? Have I sat down and said I was born in Mississippi? No. Did I say I grew up on a plantation and learned how to play guitar from a blind man? I never said anything like that. It's funny that people think me and Meg sit up late at night, in front of a gas lamp, and come up with these intricate lies to trick people.

But because you present that relationship as fact, it obscures your real connection as a couple -- the truth and value of what you play together.

I want you to imagine if we had presented ourselves in another fashion, that people might have thought was the truth. How would we have been perceived, right off the bat? When you see a band that is two pieces, husband and wife, boyfriend and girlfriend, you think, "Oh, I see . . ." When they're brother and sister, you go, "Oh, that's interesting." You care more about the music, not the relationship -- whether they're trying to save their relationship by being in a band.

You don't think about that with a brother and sister. They're mated for life. That's what family is like.

So when did you come up with the idea?

I'm not saying I came up with anything [laughs]. It's like people thinking we would be more real if we went onstage in jeans and T-shirts. How ignorant is that, to think that because they don't wear a suit onstage that someone is giving you the real deal? People do come and see us and think, "Look at all these gimmicks." Go ahead, man. Go ahead and think that.

(Excerpted from RS 982, Sept. 8, 2005)

(Posted Aug 25, 2005)
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    White on White
    Jack and Meg White remain rock & roll's biggest mystery
    By DAVID FRICKE

Jack White pulls his black Ford pickup truck to the curb on a quiet, tree-lined street in his native Detroit and hits the 'play' button on the CD player in the cherry-red dashboard. He turns the volume up to deafening and grins proudly as howitzer-fire drumming and squeals of distorted guitar rattle the windshield. There are bursts of marimba, too, which sound like someone shaking a bag of bones. The singing is really just shouting, and the lyrics are kid stuff: "You're my top special, baby/Top! Top!" But the total effect is elementary, irresistible ecstasy.
    Jack is playing "Top Special," a new White Stripes track recorded a week earlier with drummer Meg White -- who is sitting quietly in the back seat -- for a special Japanese single. The chorus, Jack says over the din, is a phrase popular with Japanese teens: "It basically means 'You're my best friend.'"

There is no better way to describe the White Stripes themselves. A few days later they perform "Top Special" for an adoring audience at Keller Auditorium in Portland, Oregon, the fifth stop on their current U.S. tour, promoting the Top Five album Get Behind Me Satan. But Jack and Meg are playing to each other. He stands at a mike set at the foot of her kit, his eyes pinned on her as he sings and thrashes his guitar. She looks up at him with the same undivided attention as she keeps steady, thundering time.

It is a perfect picture of a remarkable bond. Publicly, Jack and Meg, both thirty, claim to be brother and sister, even though a Detroit newspaper blew their cover a couple of years ago, revealing them to be ex-husband and -wife (married in 1996, divorced in 2000). But on their five albums as the White Stripes, and especially onstage, there is no mistaking the truth of their relationship. They make music like inseparable kindred spirits. "It will always be us two," Jack says of the Stripes over lunch that day in Detroit. "I will never do the White Stripes with another drummer. She'll never do it with another guitarist."

The White Stripes are at a commercial and creative peak. Satan is their third hit album in a row, following the 2001 breakthrough White Blood Cells and 2003's Elephant. Satan is also their boldest record, combining the Stripes' whiplash rock and Jack's passion for vintage blues and country music with a gothic-roadhouse tension scored with grand piano and marimba. "There is an authenticity about everything Jack does," says T Bone Burnett, who produced Jack's solo tracks on the soundtrack to the 2003 film Cold Mountain. "I don't know many people under thirty who have done the research Jack has done -- and can do a credible Blind Willie McTell cover."

The White Stripes are, in most ways, Jack's creation. He writes the songs, plays everything except drums and devised the band's peppermint-stripe color scheme. And he does almost all the talking. "I'm just a very shy person," Meg confesses at lunch, although she defends the primal quality of her drumming with sweet firmness. "That is my strength. A lot of drummers would feel weird about being that simplistic."

Born John Gillis in 1975, Jack (who took Meg's surname when they married) actually started out as a drummer, at age five. But music was not his first career choice. In high school, Jack, a Catholic, seriously thought of entering the priesthood. After graduating, he considered joining the Marines but instead worked as an upholsterer and, for a time, as a gofer on TV car-commercial shoots. "I could see that it was impossible to get your ideas across, with all the people -- the soundman, lighting people, producers -- you had to go through," he says. "I suppose that put me in the direction of a two-piece band."

Jack played drums and guitar in several Detroit garage bands (Two Part Resin, the Go, Goober and the Peas, the Hentchmen) before he and Meg, another Detroit native, made their local live debut in 1997. Jack soon found that underground cool came at a price. "We were everybody's secret band," he says. "Then our second album [De Stijl] came out, and it was 'Oh, they're not that good anymore.' When we hit the mainstream, I had to go through that game all over again, on a worldwide scale."

Jack may be a reluctant star, but he is a fireball in conversation. He speaks at high speed, his brown eyes looking directly at you like derringer barrels, and his laugh is a series of short, sharp bangs, like a string of firecrackers going off. For more than three hours, over two sessions, he goes into excited detail about, among other things, the Captain Beefheart and Gun Club records that blew his teenage mind, the album he produced for his idol Loretta Lynn (2004's Van Lear Rose) and the record he's finishing with his new band, the Raconteurs, formed with fellow Detroit rocker Brendan Benson.

"I've got enough time," Jack says cheerfully of having two groups at once. "I don't have a day job anymore." And Meg claims she is not worried about the effect on the White Stripes' future. "Jack's always done five things at once," she says. "He was in two other bands when we started this one. This is not unusual."

Get Behind Me Satan must be the most overdubbed album you've ever made. Did you worry about how you would perform those songs live? A duo can only make so much music without tapes and samples.

I've always centered the band around the number three. Everything was vocals, guitar and drums or vocals, piano and drums. So what's the difference? I can only play one thing at a time. The minimalism is still there: vocals, marimba and drums or vocals, grand piano and drums. Or I play piano, Meg plays timpani and she sings. It's all in threes.

The whole point of the White Stripes is the liberation of limiting yourself. In my opinion, too much opportunity kills creativity. I remember in high school, a friend of mine had a magazine with a story about some popular band of the time that was recording an album. The story said they had eighty guitars in the studio to choose from and that there were over 120 tracks of guitar on this one song. Good Lord! Listen to the Stooges' Fun House. You know there can't be more than one track of guitar on there [laughs]. Maybe two.

But when I first saw the White Stripes live, it took me a while to get used to the hole in your sound. I kept asking myself, "Where's the bass? Where's the bottom?"

I can see that. I was in high school when I first heard the Flat Duo Jets. They were a guitar/drums band, and I thought the same thing. Then, within months, they became my favorite band. Some kind of rawness hit me, and I saw there was no need for anything else.

A year ago, I listened to the first tape Meg and I made. It's a recording of the first time we played together. It still sounds raw and cool. We did [David Bowie's] "Moonage Daydream." Then we wrote "Screwdriver," our first song. There was a red screwdriver sitting on the table. We wrote the song that afternoon, and it hasn't changed at all since that day.

When we play a song I wrote, it's the White Stripes covering a Jack White song -- that's the best way to describe it. I write most of my songs on piano and acoustic guitar. Then I show it to Meg, and it's like, "OK, how can we do this onstage?" That becomes the way we do it, from then on.

Are there times when Meg's style of drumming is too limiting -- that you can't take a song as far as you'd like to go?

No. I never thought, "God, I wish Neil Peart was in this band." It's kind of funny: When people critique hip-hop, they're scared to open up, for fear of being called racist. But they're not scared to open up on female musicians, out of pure sexism.

Meg is the best part of this band. It never would have worked with anybody else, because it would have been too complicated. When she started to play drums with me, just on a lark, it felt liberating and refreshing. There was something in it that opened me up. It was my doorway to playing the blues, without anyone over my shoulder going, "Oh, white-boy blues, white-boy bar band." I could really get down to something.

Do you think the brother-sister thing was a miscalculation -- that you overdid the mythmaking?

I saw a review of our new album, and it said, "Every single component of the White Stripes is a gigantic lie." What does that mean? Have I sat down and said I was born in Mississippi? No. Did I say I grew up on a plantation and learned how to play guitar from a blind man? I never said anything like that. It's funny that people think me and Meg sit up late at night, in front of a gas lamp, and come up with these intricate lies to trick people.

But because you present that relationship as fact, it obscures your real connection as a couple -- the truth and value of what you play together.

I want you to imagine if we had presented ourselves in another fashion, that people might have thought was the truth. How would we have been perceived, right off the bat? When you see a band that is two pieces, husband and wife, boyfriend and girlfriend, you think, "Oh, I see . . ." When they're brother and sister, you go, "Oh, that's interesting." You care more about the music, not the relationship -- whether they're trying to save their relationship by being in a band.

You don't think about that with a brother and sister. They're mated for life. That's what family is like.

So when did you come up with the idea?

I'm not saying I came up with anything [laughs]. It's like people thinking we would be more real if we went onstage in jeans and T-shirts. How ignorant is that, to think that because they don't wear a suit onstage that someone is giving you the real deal? People do come and see us and think, "Look at all these gimmicks." Go ahead, man. Go ahead and think that.

(Excerpted from RS 982, Sept. 8, 2005)

(Posted Aug 25, 2005)

that's an awesome interview. I'm definitely going to pick up the new interview so that I can read the rest of it.

I havent been able to get Get Behind Me Satan out of the player lately. I love that album
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    I'm seeing them tonight for the first time, and this thread has me pretty damn excited! I'm listening to the show from 8.7.05 in Vancouver at the moment, good stuff.

if anybody needs to great seats for the show tonight, email me at mbhatia10@yahoo.com. I have 2 extras together.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • The Stones did "Stop Breaking Down" on Exile On Main Street, the Stripes do a nice job with it too.

oh wow, that's a stones cover? i'm a casual stones fan, i didn't know that, thanks for the info, i'll check out their version :)
    'sometimes i have everything, yet i wish i felt something'
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Wow PearlStripes! Thanks for the incredible read. Ahhh Jackie White! *sigh* :o Every single thing I read about the man makes me love and respect his super talented ass even more. :D

There are so many things I wanna highlight about that kick ass interview but for now I'll just go with....
    But Jack and Meg are playing to each other. He stands at a mike set at the foot of her kit, his eyes pinned on her as he sings and thrashes his guitar. She looks up at him with the same undivided attention as she keeps steady, thundering time.

Awww, it's so true!! I looooove that! :D They do totally engage each other on stage. That chemisty is incredible. And hell yes, I love all his Meg love! That shit is way too damn cute for words.

Ooooo, "Top Special"???? I wanna hear!!! *stomps like a brat* :p And the interviewer is damn right, they are for sure at such a creative peak. This man is UNSTOPPABLE! Daaamn, and he's always been like that!? A-mazing. :o

lowlight10, wow bud...you are IN FOR IT! Feel free to share all the details with us. HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!! :D

BUMP it up with one that I {{love}} very much. Can you feel this sucker or what?!!?

I CAN'† WAI†

I can't wait till you try to come back girl
    when things they don't work out for you
    who do you think you 're messing with girl
    what do you think you're trying to do?

do you really think I want be left out girl
    who do you think you're fool

First you said I was blind
    and it's gonna be different this time
    I thought you made up your mind
    I thought you made up
    I thought you made up

So many times I've gotten used to this
    this old idea of being all alone
    tell me how I'm supposed to get through with this?
    I wish this house felt like a home

do you really think I want be left out girl
    who do you think you're fool

First you said I was blind
    you certainly took your time
    I thought you made up
    I thought you made up

P.s. Some SEXY ASS line forced me to add it to my sig ;)

P.s.s. The guy that I'm seeing took it upon himself to tell me the other day that while he likes The White Stripes a lot, he sees "nothing original about them"!@#!@#!$#$ :eek: :eek: OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!! What in the shit?!@!?@!@? PEOPLE!!! How in the?!?! :mad: :eek:
    Whew.....ok.....all I gotta say is it's a good thing he has so many great things going for him in other areas.... ;)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    :D:D:D

Just took a break and went and got the Rolling Stone. Can't wait to read it all. Great pictures up in here too!!!!

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Actually, it's a Robert Johnson cover. The Stones covered him too.
    I'll have to check out Arcade Fire.

But I would say that the best two bands out there now are The White Stripes and Bright Eyes. If you don't have I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, you really need to check it out. It will be an album that will be listened to for years and years to come.

i love I'm Wide Awake It's Morning! great album

but i think the best two bands right now is Arcade Fire and The White Stripes

great interview in the RS
    That is why I'm singing
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    great show in chicago last night (8/29). I was very impressed with both Jack and Meg's talent. and anybody who thinks they arent original needs to open up their ears and mind.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    lowlight10 wrote:
    great show in chicago last night (8/29). I was very impressed with both Jack and Meg's talent. and anybody who thinks they arent original needs to open up their ears and mind.

Well said! I can't wait to see them. I was going crazy at just watching Under Blackpool Lights dvd - wot a band!!
  • Hey All!!!

Long time no see.

Anyway I went to see the stripes this past friday. It was a great concert. The people around me (friggin front row) wouldn't fucking stand up. Man that was lame. Me and my buddy stood up when they came out, this guy taps us on the back and says to sit down, I didn't wanna ruin the concert with a fight or anything (not that I am the fighting type) so we obeyed. Anyway the concert rocked. I got to hear "Forever for her is over for me" and doorbell, and so many wicked songs. Jolene was awesome. So many wicked songs (basically all) it was hard to remember.meg played the incest song that was cool. It was like song #3 or so. She also played the cold cold night song which I love. They played denial twist!!!! and red rain!!! That was wicked. Dead leaves, hotel Yorba. The way they do seven nation army now is much more pollished than on blackpool lights. I dunno If I like it less or more, but it was excellent. Theres like a change of pace and guitar tone in between the verse and chorus. They played the song they played after SNA at the grammys. The one with wicked guitar that he plays on his big ugly hollowbody. I love that song. We did stand up and rock out for the encore. The encore was fairly long.
    I have to say the Jack white feels the rythm more than any other guitar player. Its cause his playing is so punchy and makes up so much of the song. Like I will concede that mike mcready is almost surely the better technical player, and a better soloist, but when Jack white is dancing around its as if his dancing is part of the song...Anyone know what I mean? Where as mike just goes crazy or sways to the music , or whatnot. So yah, Jack had his whole cowboy outfit on from the front of the cd. They opened the encore with hardest button to button, which rocked and really got the crowd going.

So heres the crazier part of my story. The next night I am at the jack johnson concert. I believe The song being played was sitting waiting wishing? I can't quite remeber. All the sudden the next verse comes up. And it is not the song, but instead jack johnson is singing "my doorbell"!!!!! Verse 2. I was so excited, like a maniac!! He sang it word for word exactly including 2 choruses. he must be a HUGE fan. Alot of people didn't realize what he was singing cause he was doing it with an acoustic guitar and to the tempo of this other song. It was so amazing I was screaming the words at the top of my lungs "I've got plenty of my own friends, they're all above me!!"

Just... wow. What a crazy 2 nights. I like jack johnson alot, but the white stripes cover was the highlight for me. The guy needs to release official boots. Pearl Jam again tommorow!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • its great to read all these great reviews....

they really rock!

i wish i could see them live
    That is why I'm singing
    MissYouAllDay, THANKS for the BUMP! I was surprised to see the lack of lovin while I was gone. Anyways, thanks so much for the review. And YES, I heard about Jack Johnson from a friend that was at the show! That is too cool. :D
    I have to say the Jack white feels the rythm more than any other guitar player. Its cause his playing is so punchy and makes up so much of the song. Like I will concede that mike mcready is almost surely the better technical player, and a better soloist, but when Jack white is dancing around its as if his dancing is part of the song...Anyone know what I mean?

*raises hand*

Um, HELL YEAH! I do, I do! It's sooooo true, this man feels it. Everything about him is definitely a part of the song, in every way. He is soo into it. That guitar is a straight up extension of his soul. To see him shred, to see him softly strum, to see him thrash the stage with that voice, that agression, that emotion, that power! It shines through in ALL he does! EH! It just demands your full attention! He is SUCH a bad ass. :D

Gonna BUMP it up with another great, one that completely SOARS live...a classic you just can't deny...

This CHUNKY intro comes in, then the song just rips!!!!!! Love the progression of it, it's highs...it's lows (as well as with the man's mighty voice), the pounding of the drums...the pauses...the guitar work is sheer brilliance...looove the lyrics! LOVE it all!

*bows down to.....

Ω≈DEAD LEAVES AND THE DIRTY GROUND≈Ω

dead leaves and the dirty ground
    when I know you're not around
    shiny tops and soda pops
    when I hear your lips make a sound
    when I hear your lips make a sound

thirty notes in the mailbox
    will tell ya that I'm coming home
    and I think I'm gonna stick around
    for a while so you're not alone
    for a while so you're not alone

if you can hear a piano fall
    you can hear me coming down the hall
    if I can just hear your pretty voice
    I don't think I need to see at all

don't think I need to see at all

soft hair and a velvet tongue
    I wanna give ya what you give to me
    and every breath that is in your lungs
    is a tiny little gift to me
    is a tiny little gift to me

I didn't feel so bad 'til the sun went down
    then I come home
    no one to wrap my arms around
    wrap my arms around

well any man with a microphone
    can tell you what he loves the most

and you know why you love at all
    if you're thinking of the holy ghost
    if you're thinking of the holy ghost

"Lo√e, you know the word

• NPR is doing a live simulcast of tonight's White Stripes show (September 27th) at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. Please go to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...storyId=4834385 to listen to streaming audio of the show.
  • I like the White Stripes. Their songs just aren't musician's music though...which I happen to be a musician in a few ways. But, the White Stripes are a simple, cool-sounding band.
    7/10/06
  • Musician: One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

Musicianship: artistry in performing music

They bring back their sound to simplicity, (by being a two person band) but not calling Jack a musician is like not calling Picasso an artist. And I'm serious. He is one of a few who almost defines it in music today. How many instruments does Jack play? Have you seen them perform live? No offense, but I think you are a little naive, or at least posting before you have really a true idea what you are talking about. So much of why I like the White Stripes is due to Jack's amazing artistic talent.
  • listening to the webcast right now!
    great show!
    That is why I'm singing
  • Sweet! I thought I was th Lone Ranger here.

~The Hardest Button to Button~
  • I have slowly become an avid WS fan over the years. This year, there is only one band I've seen more times than the White Stripes.

You guessed it - Pearl Jam.

When I was touring through Canada to see Pearl Jam, I took a night off and went to see the White Stripes in Montreal. It ranks up there with the best shows I have ever seen in my life. Such fierce energy! And the sexual tension between Jack and Meg is palpable (Meg is damned sexy, too).

I've managed to turn a few people on to the White Stripes just by taking them to see a live show. If you have the opportunity, go and see this band! You can usually get tickets for less than face outside the venue. Depends on the city I guess...

Peace,
    joe
    \\\
    "no, i can't give you full credit, but i'm not gonna flunk you either. you're all getting incompletes."
  • Joe,

You said it. Dude, I couldn't agree more. I've said it before, I've seen probably a couple hundred concerts in my life and the White Stripes have to be in the top two or three...along with Pearl Jam and when I saw The Smashing Pumpkins in a small bar in Iowa City when Siamese Dream was released (people were litterally hanging from the ceiling). Jack is a totally different vibe though. By far the best single performer I've ever seen.
  • Jack is a totally different vibe though. By far the best single performer I've ever seen.

You gotta give Meg her props too, though. I don't think the White Stripes would have the same dynamic without Meg. She gets derided a lot because she's a very basic drummer, but I think that primitive, simple beat creates a great contrast to Jack's wild style.

In Montreal the crowd broke out in a few Meg! chants, which I thought was cool because she deserves some notice. Jack definitely runs the show - writes the songs, makes the setlists, creates the stage designs... but I don't think Meg is just a puppet, either.

I was just noticing this thread is like 8 pages long, and I have to admit I only read the last page - so I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive or whatever. But have you read the recent RS article with Jack and Meg on the cover? It was very interesting, especially since I didn't really know much about their background to start.
    "no, i can't give you full credit, but i'm not gonna flunk you either. you're all getting incompletes."
    :D

In recent --{{WS}}-- news......

The White Stripes will be the first band to perform on the Comedy Central show. On Dec. 1, Jack and Meg White — the red and white clad duo that make up the Stripes — will both perform and chat with host
    Jon Stewart.

Awesome! I MUST see that!!!

Also, fuck YES...this bad ass # will be the next single out next month... NICE choice!!! :D

*does the twist*

Wooooo.......

≥ THE DENIAL TWIST
    If you think that a kiss is all in the lips
    C'mon, you got it all wrong, man
    And if you think that our dance was all in the hips
    Oh well, then do the twist
    If you think holding hands is all in the fingers
    Grab hold of the soul where the memory lingers and
    Make sure to never do it with the fingers
    Cause I'll tell everyone in the world

But he was thinking about the girl
    Ya, but he's thinking about the girl, oh

A lot of people get confused and they bruise
    Real easy when it comes to love
    They start putting on their shoes and walking out
    And singing "boy, I think I had enough"

Just because she makes you feel wrong
    She don't mean to be mean or hurt you on purpose, boy
    Take a tip and do yourself a little service
    Take a mountain turn it into a mole

Just by playing a different role
    Ya, by playing a different role, oh

The boat ya you know she's rockin' it
    And the truth well ya know there's no stoppin' it

The boat ya you know she's still rockin' it
    The truth well you know there's no stoppin' it

So what, somebody left you in a rut
    And wants to be the one who's in control
    But the feeling that you're under can really make you wonder
    How the hell she can be so cold

So now you're mad, denying the truth
    And it's getting in the wisdom in the back of your tooth
    Ya need ta spit it out, in a telephone booth
    While ya call everyone that you know, and ask 'em

Where do you think she goes
    Oh ya, where d'ya suppose she goes, oh

The truth well you know there's no stoppin' it
    And the boat well ya know she's still rockin' it

The boat ya you know she's still rockin' it
    And the truth ya you know there's no stoppin' it

You recognize with your back in the back?
    That it's colder when she rocks the boat
    But it's the cause hittin on the Cardinal Laws?
    'bout the proper place to hang her coat

So to you, the truth is still hidden
    And the soul plays the role of a lost little kitten but
    You should know that the dark is one kitten?
    She's been singing it all along

But you were hearin' a different song
    Ya you were hearin' a different song
    But you were hearin' a different song

How kick ass is that?? Pat H??? :D;)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• moloko21moloko21 Posts: 114
    looks like i've got something to do dec. 1st!
    <~~~ blastin RED RAIN

DAMN I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! Exactly huh moloko21! :D

√ mark on calendar
    √ try to figure out a way to watch without cable* Hmmm :/ haha. I'll find a way damnit!

I also wanted to say I agree 110% with everything you said above. This band DEFINITELY has live magic and not only that, but the greatness of The White Stripes is indeed Jack AND Meg. :) To feel their chemistry live, to watch them engage each other, just confirms that even more too!

The Rolling Stones article was amazing!!! An how about those pics? :p NICE! But yeah, really great info in there and I'll say it again, I absolutely LOVE all the LOVE Jack gives his Meg. :)

This band ROOOOCKS!

"Lo√e, you know the word

BUMP it up cuze .....

A) this band kicks ass
    B) the song below kicks ass
    C) kickin ass = gooooood times

Can't ever have enough love or praise for the bad ass duo that is THE WHITE STRIPES. :D

:~I'm Finding It Harder To Be A Gentleman~:

Well I'm finding it harder
    to be a gentleman every day
    all the manner that I've been taught
    have slowly died away
    but if I held the door open for you
    It would'nt make your day

You think that I care
    about me and only me
    when every single girl needs help
    climbing up a tree
    well I know it don't take much