Stupid Question for Singers

13»

Comments

• Of course Otis Redding's original kicks that little late-show cover's ass, but I actually prefer their "Love Reign O'er Me" to the Who's in a lot of ways.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Of course Otis Redding's original kicks that little late-show cover's ass, but I actually prefer their "Love Reign O'er Me" to the Who's in a lot of ways.

Of course you're right about the Otis Redding version; however, it would be interesting to see what they would do with that song in the studio.

I prefer PJ's LOVE REIGN O'ER ME to The Who's. Certainly Ed's singing is very passionate, but it is the entire production from the piano intro to Mike's and Stone's complementary guitars to the tight rhythm lines and string accents. To my ears it is miles ahead of The Who's single version, and more immediate than the Quadrophenia version.

Even though they've never done it in the studio, I also prefer their BABA O'RILEY. I prefer having the crowd singing the "teenage wasteland" section to Pete Townshend's tortured vocals. I also love the way they do the intro with guitars. I don't think anyone uses three guitars more efficiently to convey so many textures.

Sorry for straying so far from the original question. I'm a new fan, and it's not often that you discover a band that's been around for 16 years with this much material to explore. I feel like I've struck gold.
  • You have struck gold :cool:

I certainly like their "Baba" better for the same reasons you said. That guitar intro just sweeps you away.

Still, the Who versions of both songs are incredible in their own right, and depending on my mood I'd take the originals to Pearl Jam some days.

"Make our day"
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Based on your comments, I just listened to LOTL. Eddie sounds much better now than he did then. The difference is actually kind of shocking. I hadn't listened to it since before I started listening to the 2006 boots, so it hadn't struck me before now.

I wonder whether he took lessons, changed his technique, warm-up or what. Whatever he's doing, I hope he keeps it up because I would like to continue to listen to him for quite a few more years.
    Hell yeah man he was awesome on the Christmas single, he's found a way to sing with force and still hit higher notes than he ever did without getting tired. He's a better singer now than he ever was.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    I've tried, but I can't get anything to play for me.

Are you a fan from the early days?

They were down for a while but they are back up now, have you gone recently? It always streams using windows media player for me.

And yes, I've been a fan since as long as I can remember pretty much. I was quite young when Ten came out but I still remember when Vs. hit the shelves. Of course this is all thanks to my dad :D
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    They were down for a while but they are back up now, have you gone recently? It always streams using windows media player for me.

And yes, I've been a fan since as long as I can remember pretty much. I was quite young when Ten came out but I still remember when Vs. hit the shelves. Of course this is all thanks to my dad :D

I have Vista, and although Windows Media Player opens, it won't stream the audio for me. I'm sure that I just need to adjust the settings, but I'm not really sure how to do that.

In the early 90's I had a group of friends who were heavily into Nirvana, so they didn't listen to anything that was not Cobain-approved, and of course Pearl Jam was #1 on the unapproved list. I was mostly into Bruce, U2 and Elvis Costello, then later Dave Mathews, so I wasn't really seeking anything else out, but I am ashamed to say that I didn't give Pearl Jam a listen on the advice of these friends. I guess I'm making up for lost time now.
  • The ironic thing is that Cobain loved the guys in Pearl Jam, and possibly even more ironic is that all the music they've made starting with Vitalogy I think Cobain would've loved.

"Make our day"
    The ironic thing is that Cobain loved the guys in Pearl Jam, and possibly even more ironic is that all the music they've made starting with Vitalogy I think Cobain would've loved.

I read Everett True's biography of Kurt Cobain. He hated Jeff and Stone, especially Jeff. Apparently, one of their favorite topics of conversation was how much they hated Jeff.

Cobain liked Eddie, personally, without regard for the music. There seemed to be a kind of homoerotic thing happening there.

It's all really too bad because I think that Kurt would even have liked Vs if he had ever listened to it. I was listening to the WEIRD A demo, then the finished version of ANIMAL, and you can already hear Eddie's influence on the band. And of course REARVIEWMIRROR is just so catchy, it takes you by surprise.

I respect Kurt Cobain a lot, and I understand that he was in a lot of pain, but besides production, I don't see a lot of growth between Nevermind and In Utero. His fame handicapped his creativity. Some might say that he didn't really need to grow because he was so good, but I've been listening to Nevermind a lot lately trying to recapture some of the things that I felt about it in the old days, but to me it sounds dated, as does Ten although I love them both. Vitalogy and No Code on the other hand are just timeless even if neither one is your cup of tea.

Pearl Jam grew and changed without so many of the production flourishes that many other groups that I have listened to have needed. They didn't bring in lots strings and synthesizers. They didn't bring in the hottest new producers. They didn't bring in rappers and guest vocalists and "new beats". They just developed what they had to the best of their ability. How can you not respect that?

Sorry for rambling on with my rather lame opinions. I'm no authority, and my opinions really don't count for anything at all.
  • I'm pretty sure Dave and Krist liked Jeff and Stone.. I read an interview that said they used to hang out a lot.

At least I know I was right about Cobain liking Eddie and that's good enough.

I'm sure Dave likes the whole lot of them seeing as how he's such an amiable dude and has showed up at a lot of the same fundraisers (bridge school I believe was where he premiered "Razor Blade" - Stipe and Vedder were blown away by it along with pretty much everyone there). But he's had lots of growing up time..

"Make our day"
    I'm pretty sure Dave and Krist liked Jeff and Stone.. I read an interview that said they used to hang out a lot.

At least I know I was right about Cobain liking Eddie and that's good enough.

I'm sure Dave likes the whole lot of them seeing as how he's such an amiable dude and has showed up at a lot of the same fundraisers (bridge school I believe was where he premiered "Razor Blade" - Stipe and Vedder were blown away by it along with pretty much everyone there). But he's had lots of growing up time..

Apparently Dave and Kris went out of their way to show there were no hard feelings between them and Pearl Jam. Dave even played drums for Pearl Jam for part of a show on their '98 Australian tour because Jack Irons was really hurting.

Dave is really a great musician, and it seems that he does everything he can to puncture the Cobain mystique. Both he and Kris just don't believe in that muscian as Messiah stuff, the "spokesman for a generation" kind of stuff that just permeates the press.

My daughter goes crazy when she hears that Peter Wentz is the spokesman for her generation.
  • Who's Peter Wentz?

And I think you mean 1995 (or was it late 94?) when Dave played for Jack. :)

I've got the boot somewhere..

"Make our day"
    Who's Peter Wentz?

And I think you mean 1995 (or was it late 94?) when Dave played for Jack. :)

I've got the boot somewhere..

You're probably right about the year. Sorry.

Peter Wentz is the bass-player and lyricist for Fall Out Boy. My daughter just hates their music although I don't find it objectionable. They could certainly use some better songs. Let's just say that Peter Wentz is no Eddie. I think they would do a good job with The Who's I CAN'T EXPLAIN.

My daughter is 14 and a huge Pearl Jam fan. She introduced me to them. She in turn discovered them through friends at school. She is also a huge Who fan. I tried to turn her on to Bruce Springsteen and U2. She can take or leave Bruce, and she absolutely despises U2.

Who can figure out the younger generation?
  • Your daughter is cool. :cool: :p

I was the same way about Bruce a few years ago when I was 14 but for some reason I've grown to realllllly like him... Buy her "Born to Run".

"Make our day"
  • SLH916 wrote:
    I read Everett True's biography of Kurt Cobain. He hated Jeff and Stone, especially Jeff. Apparently, one of their favorite topics of conversation was how much they hated Jeff.

I'm pretty sure the thing was that Green River (Stone and Jeff's old band) were a favorite of Cobain's, but they broke up because Stone and Jeff wanted to go more mainstream, which is why he disliked them.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    Your daughter is cool. :cool: :p

I was the same way about Bruce a few years ago when I was 14 but for some reason I've grown to realllllly like him... Buy her "Born to Run".

Unfortunately, Born to Run didn't do it for her. Neither did Born in the USA. I've tried a bunch of live stuff, but she usually points out some of the less than stellar choices Bruce has made over the years in concert.

She was horrified by Bruce's take on BETTERMAN. I've never seen anyone cringe so much (unless she was listening to Fall Out Boy). But she LOVES Eddie singing NO SURRENDER. To her Eddie is the artist against which all others are measured. I guess I once felt that way about Bruce.

I don't know what first got you interested in Pearl Jam, but my daughter really, really connects strongly to Ten. There is just something about those songs that seems to resonate with young people.

The funny thing is that I still get the same rush listening to THUNDER ROAD that I did when I was 14, and its been a long, long time.
    I'm pretty sure the thing was that Green River (Stone and Jeff's old band) were a favorite of Cobain's, but they broke up because Stone and Jeff wanted to go more mainstream, which is why he disliked them.

I enjoyed True's biography because it's as much a biography of himself as it is of Kurt. You would probably like it, too. You're right about all of that, Mark Arm became a really good friend of Kurt's, and he didn't have much good to say about Stone and Jeff. The really funny thing is that Kurt really didn't know Stone or Jeff, and in the years since, its become clear how wrong he was about them.

Eddie, though. I'll admit that I was a Nirvana fan and have read a lot about them. The Cobain inner circle's opinions of Eddie are decidedly strange. And obsessive.