Stupid Question for Singers

Comments

• SLH916 wrote:
    Pearl Jam and Toast,

Do you lay off smoking if you know you are going to sing? Does it make a difference?

Watching Ed singing with a cigarette in his hand makes me cringe, but people like Frank Sinatra used to do it all the time, and he sang until he was 80.
    Well at the moment I'm not singing with any band, so I don't worry about that. I smoke and practice on my normal schedule / frequency. If I was to play a show at this point I wouldn't stop smoking for it because it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I might be crazy, but I think smoking increased my range (down and up). Though it was probably just natural improvement...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Smoking is great way to rip up the voice and get a raspy "Rock & Roll" sound. Julie Andrews is amazing by the way. Anyway, if you wanna have a smoothe voice, I'd lay off the smoking but if you want an 'Ed' or 'Cobain' voice, smokes will deff. help. It's also increased my brothers range from what he says so I gota agree with PJ an Toast.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Well I certainly can notice that smoking has taken a toll on Eddie. When he sings Animal nowadays, he has to take a break in between the "pain" part. He also can't sing Go as intense as he used to, especially the chorus (more specifically when he is saying "me")... but from what I've heard he hasn't sang that song too well since '94...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    Oh yeah, it's obvious. The studio version of Greivence is shit in my opinion. It sounds better live. You can tell Ed's voice was shit
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    SLH916 wrote:
    I don't know what to say to that. The Sound of Music was my favorite movie from 1st grade through college. That voice was the soundtrack to my childhood. I hope they can help her.

So do I SLH, I think it's just so sad. :(
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    So do I SLH, I think it's just so sad. :(
    I agree, her voice was amazing. Last summer, she was on Good Morning America. She talked about missing singing(it was when they remastered the movie). I think she can sing again though. She sang something on the show but it wasn't high at all
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I agree, her voice was amazing. Last summer, she was on Good Morning America. She talked about missing singing(it was when they remastered the movie). I think she can sing again though. She sang something on the show but it wasn't high at all

Ah that's good news!! :) I was starting to wonder if we'd ever hear her again. And the thought of her not being able to sing, not for the world, but just for herself, it made me so very sad. I hope she's happy with how it's going. Losing your ability to sing would be like losing your soul I think.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    I totally agree and Julie Andrews has such a pretty voice. She's such a sweet person too, it's great she's getting her voice back
  • Well I certainly can notice that smoking has taken a toll on Eddie. When he sings Animal nowadays, he has to take a break in between the "pain" part. He also can't sing Go as intense as he used to, especially the chorus (more specifically when he is saying "me")... but from what I've heard he hasn't sang that song too well since '94..
    See: "Go" Adelaide 2006. Best Version EVER

"Make our day"
  • See: "Go" Adelaide 2006. Best Version EVER

How do I get it? :(

Are you sure it can beat Atlanta '94? :p

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • How do I get it? :(

Are you sure it can beat Atlanta '94? :p
    I'd upload it but it's not on my computer, just the ipod :(

"Make our day"
  • Oh :(

• SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    See: "Go" Adelaide 2006. Best Version EVER

PJ and T,

Oh. My. God. That is intense. Were you there?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I have the boot, but its not on there:s Were there two Adelaide shows?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I have the boot, but its not on there:s Were there two Adelaide shows?

Yes, there were two Adelaide shows. The one with GO was 11/21.

You can download it from the 2005/2006 download thread. I don't know what other people think of this show, but I think the whole show is great. It's got some really neat features including SMALL TOWN as an opener.

I haven't listened to much mid-90's Ed, so I don't know what was going on with his voice then, but I love his current voice. The current BLACK is just so beautiful compared with the histrionics of the early 90's.

I'm sure that his voice has lost a lot over the years what with the screaming, smoking, drinking, etc., but he does so much more with it now. The HARVEST MOON from Philly 05 is so delicate, and I just don't think that he could have managed that in the early days.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    PJ and T,

Oh. My. God. That is intense. Were you there?
    I wishhhhhhh ;)

"Make our day"
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Yes, there were two Adelaide shows. The one with GO was 11/21.

You can download it from the 2005/2006 download thread. I don't know what other people think of this show, but I think the whole show is great. It's got some really neat features including SMALL TOWN as an opener.

I haven't listened to much mid-90's Ed, so I don't know what was going on with his voice then, but I love his current voice. The current BLACK is just so beautiful compared with the histrionics of the early 90's.

I'm sure that his voice has lost a lot over the years what with the screaming, smoking, drinking, etc., but he does so much more with it now. The HARVEST MOON from Philly 05 is so delicate, and I just don't think that he could have managed that in the early days.

Now that I've listened to several more shows from '06 I will say the "Go" from Torino is my favorite.

I was also listening to live on two legs recently and noticed Eddie sounds much better today than he did then. :)

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The two Adelaide shows are some of my favourites.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Now that I've listened to several more shows from '06 I will say the "Go" from Torino is my favorite.

I was also listening to live on two legs recently and noticed Eddie sounds much better today than he did then. :)

Based on your comments, I just listened to LOTL. Eddie sounds much better now than he did then. The difference is actually kind of shocking. I hadn't listened to it since before I started listening to the 2006 boots, so it hadn't struck me before now.

I wonder whether he took lessons, changed his technique, warm-up or what. Whatever he's doing, I hope he keeps it up because I would like to continue to listen to him for quite a few more years.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Based on your comments, I just listened to LOTL. Eddie sounds much better now than he did then. The difference is actually kind of shocking. I hadn't listened to it since before I started listening to the 2006 boots, so it hadn't struck me before now.

I wonder whether he took lessons, changed his technique, warm-up or what. Whatever he's doing, I hope he keeps it up because I would like to continue to listen to him for quite a few more years.

Maybe he just had time to recover? He did a lot of screaming before that, so it probably took a toll on his voice. I noticed when he would try and make his voice gritty he would lose it.

• I think Ed sounds better now than he EVER has. EVER. He's absolutely on a higher level live.

"Make our day"
    I think Ed sounds better now than he EVER has. EVER. He's absolutely on a higher level live.

I'm a new fan, so I don't feel that I can legitimately make statements like that, and I haven't listened to a lot of the mid-90's bootlegs, anyway, but, man, he is still an incredible singer today.

I've never heard anyone change gears so completely so many times over the course of a single show. I was listening to Gorge II tonight. Nineteen songs in, he comes out with just a guitar and sings Tom Petty's I WON'T BACK DOWN. His voice just soars, and the dynamics are incredible. My voice would be gone by this point, but he still has eleven songs to go.

One of the things that is so incredible about Pearl Jam is how Ed's voice is so completely integrated into the sound of the band. He uses it like another instrument, and I love his improvisations. Man, I wish I could do that.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    I'm a new fan, so I don't feel that I can legitimately make statements like that, and I haven't listened to a lot of the mid-90's bootlegs, anyway, but, man, he is still an incredible singer today.

I've never heard anyone change gears so completely so many times over the course of a single show. I was listening to Gorge II tonight. Nineteen songs in, he comes out with just a guitar and sings Tom Petty's I WON'T BACK DOWN. His voice just soars, and the dynamics are incredible. My voice would be gone by this point, but he still has eleven songs to go.

One of the things that is so incredible about Pearl Jam is how Ed's voice is so completely integrated into the sound of the band. He uses it like another instrument, and I love his improvisations. Man, I wish I could do that.

have you ever been to http://www.pearljamlive.com?

have you ever been to http://www.pearljamlive.com?

I've tried, but I can't get anything to play for me.

Are you a fan from the early days?
  • SLH916 wrote:
    I've tried, but I can't get anything to play for me.

Are you a fan from the early days?
    http://www.theskyiscrape.com has mp3s of pretty much every song (lots of them repeated) on. Unless it's changed recently, just go to song list, find the song, look for the little music note next to it. :)

"Make our day"
    http://www.theskyiscrape.com has mp3s of pretty much every song (lots of them repeated) on. Unless it's changed recently, just go to song list, find the song, look for the little music note next to it. :)

Thanks. I checked out some of the interesting covers over there.
    The DOCK OF THE BAY from 1994 is pretty amazing.

I'd love to hear that one now.

It seems that they have done a lot of covers only a couple of times. I can't believe how good they are for only one or two performances.
  • SLH916 wrote:
    Thanks. I checked out some of the interesting covers over there.
    The DOCK OF THE BAY from 1994 is pretty amazing.

I'd love to hear that one now.

It seems that they have done a lot of covers only a couple of times. I can't believe how good they are for only one or two performances.
    there's a video of 'dock of the bay' on youtube :)

"Make our day"
    Mikes guitar on 'Dock on the Bay' is amazing. I was driving home alone from Ann Arbor(I live in Kalamazoo) for the first when I first got my lisence and the rain was comin' down hard and DotB started and it was so unreal!
    It's Steve Croppers Guitar!!!!!
    It's Steve Croppers Guitar!!!!!

I was just about to point you to the video that PJ and T posted. It was Steve Cropper's guitar and Steve Cropper whistling.

Still an amazing version though. I had to go back and listen to Otis Redding just to compare.

They just do an amazing job with covers. Somehow they are faithful and respectful but make the songs their own. I also had to listen to The Who's version of LOVE REIGN O'ER ME to see how really different the two versions are.