$750 CDN to spend

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    And I will definitley report back with my findings, as you seem to be in the same situation as me. I'd just like to again thank everyone for the help. This is by far the best part of the forum.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Ya, I'm trying not to limit but there are not a lot of other tube amps at the same price. Does peavey still make the classic 30?

EDIT: You can buy the classic 30 AND 50 from music123.com. I think stepping up to the 212 50 is probably worth the extra $140. So now its the Traynors or the Peaveys. Damn. They also have the 210 version and the 112. I am willing to pay a little bit of extra scratch if it means I get what I want. Is the 212 excessive.

a 212 or 210 will make your sound louder which is not what you want to do considering you are in the same position as me as it can't be too loud.

Classic 30s are really nice too, from my personal experience with one was only for about 10 minutes. The sound is nice for the price. I like the Delta Blues better than the Classic 30. The Classic 30 and Delta Blues are the only amps from Peavey that I like.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Will the 30 and Traynors keep up with a drummer/vocalist/bassist in a jam session? Mind you right now I have a Crate GT212 (120 watts, solid state) and I want to get rid of that because I've come to the realization that the tone sucks.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Will the 30 and Traynors keep up with a drummer/vocalist/bassist in a jam session? Mind you right now I have a Crate GT212 (120 watts, solid state) and I want to get rid of that because I've come to the realization that the tone sucks.

Oh my yes

It's tube...

My traynor is 40 watts tube, and at volume 4 it is louder than my whole band.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Oh my yes

It's tube...

My traynor is 40 watts tube, and at volume 4 it is louder than my whole band.

That's what I like to hear! I can't wait to get out and try these Traynors and the Peaveys.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Will the 30 and Traynors keep up with a drummer/vocalist/bassist in a jam session? Mind you right now I have a Crate GT212 (120 watts, solid state) and I want to get rid of that because I've come to the realization that the tone sucks.

Ya man for sure.

I was at a pub a while back in B.C. and the guy there was playing with a Blues Junior, I talked to him for quite a while about gear and stuff and he said that the Blues Junior was perfect for gigging. His tone was great too, he was running it with a Keeley Modded BD-2......The Blues Junior only has one channel though, but it's the same clean as the Deluxe.

....but you want something louder than that.......

I hear that anywhere you play will mic your amp anyway so it doesn't matter. :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    Ya man for sure.

I was at a pub a while back in B.C. and the guy there was playing with a Blues Junior, I talked to him for quite a while about gear and stuff and he said that the Blues Junior was perfect for gigging. His tone was great too, he was running it with a Keeley Modded BD-2......The Blues Junior only has one channel though, but it's the same clean as the Deluxe.

....but you want something louder than that.......

I hear that anywhere you play will mic your amp anyway so it doesn't matter. :)

Ya, I'm talking more along the lines of a jam session at someone's house.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Ya, I'm talking more along the lines of a jam session at someone's house.

I play through a Blues Junior, and I've never had it up over a 4, and trust me, that was loud. It may only be 15 watts, but thats a lot for a tube amp. I've jammed with another guitar player and a drummer with it and it wasn't plenty loud. I gigged out with it once, and while it had to be mic'd, it was still fine, with the volume no louder than a 4 or 5 at best.
    UPDATE: I have just found a classic 30 for sale for $375 cdn. Now with selling the crate I would have $750 to spend regardless, and I want EQ on both channels. Do I pull the trigger on the Peavey and buy a strat or something or buy the Traynor?
    EDIT: Local music store selling used Blues Devilles, a Classic 50, and a JCM800 combo for $750 each.
  • UPDATE: I have just found a classic 30 for sale for $375 cdn. Now with selling the crate I would have $750 to spend regardless, and I want EQ on both channels. Do I pull the trigger on the Peavey and buy a strat or something or buy the Traynor?
    EDIT: Local music store selling used Blues Devilles, a Classic 50, and a JCM800 combo for $750 each.

Do what you want.

Have you played the Classic 30? Don't do what I did although I scored big time by not playing the amp and getting it.
    JCM800 combo is not worth the money at all.

I would just wait and try out what you want to, and then look for a good deal on the amp you like the best.
    That's fantastic advice. I need to play everything first obviously. So the JCM800s are not all they are cracked up to be?
  • That's fantastic advice. I need to play everything first obviously. So the JCM800s are not all they are cracked up to be?

not the combos in my opinion
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    UPDATE: I have just found a classic 30 for sale for $375 cdn. Now with selling the crate I would have $750 to spend regardless, and I want EQ on both channels. Do I pull the trigger on the Peavey and buy a strat or something or buy the Traynor?

ooooh, is the classic 50 4x10?

Because I like the 4x10 classic 50.

Then again, there aren't a lot of 4x10 or 2x10 amps I don't like so take that with a grain of salt.

take your time, be patient, when it speaks to you you'll know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Ya, I don't know exactly the tone I'm looking for. When I plug in and get a smile on my face, that is the amp.
    Ok, an update. I played the Blues Deville and Classic 50 and did not like either of them. My dad is convinced that I will not get enough stage presence with a 112. Would this hold true even with the YCV50BLUE? Is it worth going with the YCV80?
    My dad is convinced that I will not get enough stage presence with a 112. Would this hold true even with the YCV50BLUE? Is it worth going with the YCV80?

Well I would have to disagree there....:) 'cause any place that you'll be playing "on stage" it'll be mic'd anyway.

And, the 50BLUE and the YCV80 are totally different amps so it's tough to compare....it's not like you're getting a 50BLUE 4X10, you're getting a totally different amp.

*** You can always get an extension cabinet for the 50BLUE if for some reason you feel it's not loud enough for you, but I honestly don't think you'll have that problem.

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    Well I would have to disagree there....:) 'cause any place that you'll be playing "on stage" it'll be mic'd anyway.

And, the 50BLUE and the YCV80 are totally different amps so it's tough to compare....it's not like you're getting a 50BLUE 4X10, you're getting a totally different amp.

*** You can always get an extension cabinet for the 50BLUE if for some reason you feel it's not loud enough for you, but I honestly don't think you'll have that problem.

Ya I think I'll be good with the BLUE. I hated the Blues Deville and the Classic.
    Ya I think I'll be good with the BLUE. I hated the Blues Deville and the Classic.

Hey man if you liked the BLUE check out one of these bad boys :D

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=202808

It was only $1,495 ;)

If only I had the cash :)

.NJD.
    I havent tried the BLUE, will most likely go try tomorrow, but I have ruled out the Peavey and Fender.

EDIT: Thanks to you I want that warren haynes tone!

EDIT: Thanks to you I want that warren haynes tone!

Lol, sorry man :)

He plays Soldano heads I know that......again around $1,400 for the Soldano Combo I saw the other day :eek:

His is one of the best I know, if you like that check out Marc Ford of The Black Crowes too....just youtube Marc Ford. :)

.NJD.
    Lol, sorry man :)

He plays Soldano heads I know that......again around $1,400 for the Soldano Combo I saw the other day :eek:

His is one of the best I know, if you like that check out Marc Ford of The Black Crowes too....just youtube Marc Ford. :)

Will do. The Haynes tone is incredible.
  • Ok, an update. I played the Blues Deville and Classic 50 and did not like either of them. My dad is convinced that I will not get enough stage presence with a 112. Would this hold true even with the YCV50BLUE? Is it worth going with the YCV80?

No offense but your father is absolutely wrong. Like TMW said, you will be mic'd up on any on-stage performance. You can even add an extension cabinet.

Rule the YCV80 OUT...it's way too loud also considering you have the same problem where it cant be too loud.

I would stick with either the YCV40(WR) or the BLUE.

I said it before but I would go with the YCV40WR...the clean tone is just amazing and that is all you really need. Put a Fulltone OCD infront of it and you got a overdrive/distortion tone better than the BLUE in my opinion.

But you are still going to have to try them out. You may not even like them.

I wish you had more money to play with (as do i ;) ) I think a Rivera would be right up your alley.
    Everybody wishes they have more money! Anyways, I can't wait to get out and try these amps. My old man used a Marshall or Randall FULL STACK in his day so thats his school of thought.
  • If I had the money and was looking for an amp...this is a pretty nice deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivera-Clubster-45_W0QQitemZ290002354719QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My personal favorite Rivera is the Suprema 55 and the Chubster 40/55
    If I had the money and was looking for an amp...this is a pretty nice deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivera-Clubster-45_W0QQitemZ290002354719QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My personal favorite Rivera is the Suprema 55 and the Chubster 40/55

That is a solid deal HH.

I wish there was more to try out around here...I mean we have a Long & McQuade (I think it's like your GC) but they never really have anything weird, like I went nuts when I saw that Orange the other day 'cause it was the first one I'd ever seen in there. Same with the Soldano combo I saw.....

It's pretty much all Fender, Traynor, Line 6, Marshall. Which is totally cool, but the selection isn't that great even within the companies....

For example, I would love to try out certain Vox's but I've only ever seen the little 15 watter, same with different Oranges, even Matchless combos.......

Just so I can make the best decision :)

Ah well, I'm sure I'll pick something up this summer.

.NJD.
    That is a solid deal HH.

I wish there was more to try out around here...I mean we have a Long & McQuade (I think it's like your GC) but they never really have anything weird, like I went nuts when I saw that Orange the other day 'cause it was the first one I'd ever seen in there. Same with the Soldano combo I saw.....

It's pretty much all Fender, Traynor, Line 6, Marshall. Which is totally cool, but the selection isn't that great even within the companies....

For example, I would love to try out certain Vox's but I've only ever seen the little 15 watter, same with different Oranges, even Matchless combos.......

I wonder who will pull the trigger first?
  • That is a solid deal HH.

All the GC's are basically the same except no Traynors...add Mesa...which isn't bad but the only Mesa amp I like the the Lonestar Special...

The only GC i went to which was a nice shop was this one in Queens near NYC. They had Rivera and Orange. I never got the chance to play the Orange because there was literally a line to play it.

I need an amp for Virginia for when I'm down here. I may just save up and get a Rivera, but possibly a Delta Blues since it is cheaper. I first hear a Rivera at a Steve Vai show I went to. Eric Sardinas opened up for him and had a rivera half stack with an extra 1x12 cab. His tone was just amazing.

But I've been fooling around with my OCD after not using it for a while because I was in love with the tone of my strat and BD-2. The setup of SG>OCD>YCV40WR(clean channel) is just fuckin amazing, I love the distortion of it. But like any tone freak, it may sound amazing and exactly what you are looking for, but you are never done.
    But like any tone freak, it may sound amazing and exactly what you are looking for, but you are never done.

Ahh so true.....

$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$
    $$$$$ <
    Guitar = Endless Tornado of Money :)
    $$$$
    $$$
    $$
    $

I love it though :)

.NJD.
  • Ahh so true.....

$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$
    $$$$$ <
    Guitar = Endless Tornado of Money :)
    $$$$
    $$$
    $$
    $

I love it though :)

seriously, if you think about it and look at your setup and how much you spent on everything combined...its rediculous, incude the shipping too on your stuff that you got shipped

SG - 700$ (good deal actually :)...+ 40$ to ship)
    Strat - 350$
    hollowbody - 250$ (+30$ to ship)
    Amp - 450$ ( +50$ to ship)
    BD-2 - 80$
    OCD - 125$ (+10$ to ship)
    535q crybaby - 100$
    DD-3 - 100$
    Strings - probably around 250$ by now
    tuner - 15$
    cables - 125$ by now

That's $2675!!!! What the fuck...look at my age!! why am i spending this amount of money? i could have a darn car...haha oh well the joy of my guitar i think is far worth it :D

add another 2000$ for another 2-3 guitars within the next few years, maybe a new amp and new pedals...so say another 1000$...good god i never realized that until i did this post
    This includes tax:

Godin Freeway Classic > $600
    A&L Cedar CW> $400
    Crate GT212 > $530
    Boss DS-1 > $80
    Boss CE-5 > $80
    MXR Dynacomp > $100
    Boss DD-6 > $180
    Crybaby > $120
    HiGain > $120
    Cases > $120 (at least)

$2210!

Holy shit no wonder I don't have enough money to go to movies with friends. (I'm 15)