$750 CDN to spend

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I have $750 canadian to spend on a new amp. I have a Crate GT212 but every time I play my dads fender tube I fall in love. I'm looking for a tube combo with enough volume for stage. Suggestions? So far I'm looking at:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville (I may wait if I like this one the best to get the 212)
Traynor YCV50BLUE
Peavey Valveking
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• martibudmartibud Posts: 20
    I tried the traynor and liked it a lot!! Those things are incredibly cheap and you get very good quality. If you have a little more to spend, go for the YCV80 (2x12). You can find them new on ebay for about 600-700 U$. You will get plenty of headroom...
    "It's like his thoughts are too big for his size"
    Montreal 1998
    Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2000
    Albany 2003
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Boston I 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Ottawa 2005
    Quebec city 2005
    Albany 2006
    MSG I 2008
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I want to buy something in a store and take it home. My uncles friend ordered an amp from MF and even though it was the same model, it sounded different than what he had played in store. Anyways, those are my two choices, gotta go play them. Anyone have anything else to chime in?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    You seem to be in the same boat as me man :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=162520

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=163899

The clean channel on the Deluxe is just beautiful, and I really liked the reverb.....The OD channel is fine too but if you really wanna rock you're gunna need a solid pedal.

The distortion on the 50BLUE is great and I thought the clean was awesome too, tha'ts a really solid amp.

HailHailVitalogy will tell you to get the YCV40WR which has different speakers in it and it's got the win red tolex and blonde grille which looks really sharp. I've never had the chance to play this very loud but he said that the speakers really do make a huge difference so you may want to check that out also.

Read those threads though, people were very helpful.....although I still haven't bought an amp :o

I just want to make sure I get what I want.....
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    You seem to be in the same boat as me man :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=162520

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=163899

The clean channel on the Deluxe is just beautiful, and I really liked the reverb.....The OD channel is fine too but if you really wanna rock you're gunna need a solid pedal.

The distortion on the 50BLUE is great and I thought the clean was awesome too, tha'ts a really solid amp.

HailHailVitalogy will tell you to get the YCV40WR which has different speakers in it and it's got the win red tolex and blonde grille which looks really sharp. I've never had the chance to play this very loud but he said that the speakers really do make a huge difference so you may want to check that out also.

Read those threads though, people were very helpful.....although I still haven't bought an amp :o

I just want to make sure I get what I want.....

My dad randomly bought my brother a cheap acoustic bass and turned around and said 'You can get an extension cab for you're crate' and I thought, why don't I seel my crate and use the money to buy a tube amp?
  • i have a hot rod deluxe and play in a 5 person now (pj setup) and they tell me to turn it down...so thats a good sign. We play loud!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    How is the overdrive on the Hot Rod? I can't get out to try them for at least a week so I want to get as much info as possible. Its basically between the Hot Rod and the Blue. I knew you would make an appearance at some point Harrison. Also, how long does it take the cleans to break up?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Like Fender Huh?

Stick to your limit and look for used. Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissues Used.

I think you can find one. For around that much. You cannot go wrong with the DRRI. At the most finiky they are bright out of the box, but can be tamed with the right speaker.

Basically the Fender Deluxe is the amp from which all others should be judged. It can do virtually anything you want it too with the right stuff in front of it. It is essentially the perfect small gigging amp for the working musician. Obvioulsly it has limitations all amps do but for the size weight and features available as well as the thousands of tweaks made by every hot rodder from here to Zaire.....it is one of the most useful circuits ever created.

The overdrive on the Hot Rod is useable but I detest it. Many have used it and used it well, but all Deluxes are better left to a single channel (either or with vibrato on one) if it were up to me. Paul Rivera would strongly disagree and that's cool, but I like them as an either or amp, I'd rather have an outboard box or 5.

If you're a fender fan I think you'd like the YCV40 traynor over the 50 Blue. Both are good amps, but the 50 Blue is more Marshall inspired, and they already make the speaker swap to the V30 on the YCV40 essentially making it warmer than the HRD.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Hmm, interesting, I may go used. I'm sorta leaning towards the Traynor because it has seperate EQs for both channels. My dads fender tube kicks ass though, so I may look at both the traynors and the fenders.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    deluxe reverb > any traynor > any hot rod

also i suggest a blues jr. mic'ed for consideration.
    I have an old champ 12 (tube) so I want something with a little more kick. I may take a look at a DR, but I don't know where I'd find a used one other than ebay.
    I have an old champ 12 (tube) so I want something with a little more kick. I may take a look at a DR, but I don't know where I'd find a used one other than ebay.

keeponrockin,

I was shown this website a few months ago and it's just great!!

http://ottawa.craigslist.org/msg/

You can really find some great stuff on here and awesome deals.......

I picked up my SD-1 on here and I'm talking with 2 guys about the MXR Phase 90 right now.

A few weeks back there was a 50BLUE on here for $475 :eek: it was only a year and a half old with new JJ tubes in it.

I obviously look at the Toronto section of the website but I sent you the link to the Ottawa one.

:)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Ok

Some Traynor information FO YOU...:D

Now I have the Traynor YCV40WR. The WR stands for Wine Red, which is the color of the amp. But the speaker in the WR is different than the regular YCV40. The speaker in the WR is a Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 is a great speaker, once you break it in, it is extremly smoothe sounding, especially with the overdrive sound.

Don't bust your balls and get a YCV80, it's way way way too loud unless you got a huge house and are playing to 2500 people un-mic'ed. The YCV40(WR) is loud enough for anything.

Now on the YCV40(WR) the Clean channel is TO DIE FOR, one of the best clean channels I have ever heard. Usually single coil guitars sound better playing clean, but for me I prefer the humbucker clean sound of my SG.

I found that in order to get the "real" sound of the overdrive channel, you need to turn the volume up to about 2 or 3 which is louder than a bedroom volume. In that case, the overdrive sounds fantastic, but draw back on the treble. Anything at that volume with a treble over 5 or 6 will kill your ears. I found that if you set the gain to about 5 or 6 and play with a Tele or SG, you can get such amazing "Ed Live" sounds especially with RVM, Corduroy, Not For You, Immortality, Etc. There is a boost feature which is GREAT. The boost sounds like shit at a volume of 1 or lower, but when you are jamming at a nice volume and you hit the boost IT IS PERFECT for leads. I sometimes use it if the song calls for more overdrive with rhythem and such.

One of the greatest sounds I have heard from this amp is playing with my strat through a BD-2 through the clean channel. I tried playing the same setup through a different amp and it sounded like shit.

The reverb is great too. I usually have it set between 3 and 4. The presence knob doesn't make such an effect on the amp. Just make sure its not at 8 or higher, because that will destroy your ears. I have it at about 4.

The one fall back about the amp is that there is NO master volume at all, which would be a GREAT feature to hear your amp cranked at a low volume. Instead I'm thinking of getting a Hot Plate or mod my amp for a master volume knob.

If you go with the YCV40 go with the WR. 1) it looks 10000x better. 2) the overdrive is much smoother.

Now, a while back my dad wanted to learn some guitar and he got a 50Blue for him to play with as well as for me to play with when I visited him. I played it for 2 days. I noticed that the overdrive is fuckin great. Better than the YCV40(WR), but the Clean channel IMO wasn't that great. Which is why I don't care for that amp. You need a good clean channel on any amp you invest in. The reason for the 2 days was because my dad got it off of ebay, and the amp was all beat up on the sides unlike the picture from the auction so my dad got his money back from the guy.

You can deffinantly find a Traynor in a store there in Canada since they are made there.

I have noticed though that the price they are going for is more expensive than less than a year ago. I got my amp 2 months old for 450$, which now a days is a steal. They used to be about 600$ new, now they are around 720$. (this is USD). Dirty_Frank has a YCV80, and he said he got his amp 5 years ago for I THINK about 500-600$.

My amp is a solid piece of equipment. When I got the amp I never played it, I just based it on review, and I was looking for a new amp. Won it on ebay, plugged it in and it is everything I could imagine it to be.

If you want more info on some Fender amps or any more info on my Traynor send me a PM. When I was looking last September, I played MANY amps, a lot of Fenders. One of my favorite types of amps are Rivera. Their overdrive is just one of the best sounds I have ever heard. The clean channel isn't bad either. New they are expensive, but I found one in a store that was used for about 750$.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Phew!!

Just finished reading HHV's novel. :D;)

I knew he would be of some great help when it came to the YVC40WR :)

Like I said before, I haven't had the chance to really play the WR too loud or for too long......I really liked the regular YCV40 though, and I played that for quite a while.

I thought the Reverb on the YCV40 was great and I really liked both channels, although like HHV said, I wish there was a Master Volume.....and it'd be really cool if the Reverb was footswitchable. :)

I haven't played nearly enough amps to know, but Fender's clean to me just sounds perfect......as if you were playing on a cloud :eek:
    So that's what keeps me wanting one so bad...

Someone told me that you should buy an amp for the clean channel, because with a good clean.....there's always ways to attain other sounds.

Check out this website on Hot Rod Deluxes:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

It's pretty much everythhing you need to know about these amps, and part of the reason I didn't buy this a few months ago was because I read some bad reviews on it, and just some common problems people had.

.NJD.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    HHV, great stuff, fun read.

I also like Rivera. Rivera was a pioneer essentially in trying to get that fender circuit clean that you love and combine it with the marshall style crunchy distortion which you also love. Paul Rivera used to work at fender and was instrumental in some of their channel switching efforts like the super champ. I believe he also designed the reissue vibrolux. Many of his era amps go for pretty good cash on Ebay.

Maybe one day you can get an AB box and run the clean from the YCV40WR and the dirty from the 50 blue. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Maybe one day you can get an AB box and run the clean from the YCV40WR and the dirty from the 50 blue. :D

BINGO

You hit the secret idea I have had.

Once I get out there more with playing shows and stuff with bands and stuff, I want to get a Rivera and use it as my dirty sound, because I'm sick of trying to find this overdrive sound that I cant find at all when its in an amp that I can have eventually. But the 50Blue idea is more affordable, haha....in that case I would need 2 Hot Plates, ha.

The BD-2 with my clean on the Traynor with my strat IS my tone for my strat, its perfect. But with the SG it can vary, sometimes i like the sound of the OCD, sometimes not...its all in the mood you are in, and i want the versitality (if thats a word, lol) for any mood of guitar playing

and yeah TMW, if you have a great clean channel, you have now opened the gates to exploring many more great sounds...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • i have a hot rod deville, and if its good enough for eddie and mike. Its way too nice for me. Its louder than necessary, has a great sound clean and driven. Tubes last pretty long too if taken care of properly.

I also purchased mine at guitar center used for 500, new tubes and in great shape.

there are deals out there!
    You guys are amazing. I think I'm going with one of the Traynors because of the seperate EQs for each channel. The choice is between the:
    YCV40
    YCV40WR
    YCV50BLUE.

I need to play them all. How long does it take for the clean channel to break up on the blue? I just want a nice straight ahead clean tone. Think 'Lenny'. The BLUE has a master volume, which I think would come in handy, but damn I like the fender clean sound. Thank you to everyone who's helped me out so far. This forum is smaller and I'm getting a helluva lot more help here than at UG.
  • You guys are amazing. I think I'm going with one of the Traynors because of the seperate EQs for each channel. The choice is between the:
    YCV40
    YCV40WR
    YCV50BLUE.

I need to play them all. How long does it take for the clean channel to break up on the blue? I just want a nice straight ahead clean tone. Think 'Lenny'. The BLUE has a master volume, which I think would come in handy, but damn I like the fender clean sound. Thank you to everyone who's helped me out so far. This forum is smaller and I'm getting a helluva lot more help here than at UG.

If you are going for the Fender clean tone than the 50BLUE is out. The YCV40(WR) is just as good not if better than a fender clean tone, and a fender clean tone is gorgeous.

My clean channel doesn't break up at all, even at a volume of 10, it never breaks up.

I just played for 5 minutes to try something out which I have never done. And I don't know why I have never done it. But I put my volume up a little and put the gain up (I always have my gain at about 5 or 6), but I put it to about 9 or so...and I played DTE as well as some other riffs I made up, it's actually really nice. I just haven't had much experience with my amp over the volume of 2 or 3 because I live in an apartment. But the times I have, I didn't need my OCD at all, which I usually use to add some gain for my SG.

Pac I need some advice on something I'm going to PM you.
    See this is where it gets interesting, I want the best clean tone AND the best distortion tone. I'll try them both out. I usually play with distortion, but I can't stand terrible clean tone. How much better is the Blues distortion compared to the Wine Red? Basically I'm looking for Lenny on clean and a Stone old school Alive sound on distortion. PLUS the BLUE has a master, and me playing in a house with a brother that bitches, it would help out.
  • See this is where it gets interesting, I want the best clean tone AND the best distortion tone. I'll try them both out. I usually play with distortion, but I can't stand terrible clean tone. How much better is the Blues distortion compared to the Wine Red? Basically I'm looking for Lenny on clean and a Stone old school Alive sound on distortion. PLUS the BLUE has a master, and me playing in a house with a brother that bitches, it would help out.

The BLUE distortion is better than the 40WR, like Pac said...it's more Marshall sound....but the clean on the 40WR will blow the BLUE away
    I know this sounds stupid, what amp has the best of both worlds? And do they both beat the regular YCV40?
    If you are going for the Fender clean tone than the 50BLUE is out. The YCV40(WR) is just as good not if better than a fender clean tone, and a fender clean tone is gorgeous.

My clean channel doesn't break up at all, even at a volume of 10, it never breaks up.

I just played for 5 minutes to try something out which I have never done. And I don't know why I have never done it. But I put my volume up a little and put the gain up (I always have my gain at about 5 or 6), but I put it to about 9 or so...and I played DTE as well as some other riffs I made up, it's actually really nice. I just haven't had much experience with my amp over the volume of 2 or 3 because I live in an apartment. But the times I have, I didn't need my OCD at all, which I usually use to add some gain for my SG.

Pac I need some advice on something I'm going to PM you.

I just listened to some OCD mp3 clips on the Fulltone website and.....well........wow :eek:

Beautiful.

.NJD.
    I know this sounds stupid, what amp has the best of both worlds? And do they both beat the regular YCV40?

That's a tough call, and the question I was asking myself when I was looking at these amps (even though I still am) :)

This is when I thought, maybe there's another amp besides those 3 or 4 that has the Fender clean I'm after and the distortion I'm after too......

I'm not sure what I want :rolleyes:

.NJD.
  • I know this sounds stupid, what amp has the best of both worlds? And do they both beat the regular YCV40?

At your price range you won't find it.

If I were you I would get either the Traynorycv40wr or the Fender Hot Rod....in this case you have an amazing clean channel....if you go with the Traynor40wr, you wont be disappointed in the overdrive at all, its got a great sound...it just needs to be put at a decent volume of around 2 or higher...the only reason I could see you getting a BLUE is because of the master volume, but personally that wouldn't want me to get the BLUE...Find a nice overdrive/distortion pedal that you can use too...
    Just a little more info to make your decision harder :o

I played the Hot Rod Deluxe with an Electro-Harmonix Double Muff and it was awesome!!

It wasn't very expensive either, only like $60

Clean + Awesome

Clean > Double Muff = Awesome

Give that a try if you can.

.NJD.
    I'm not sure if this has helped my decision making process or hindered it, but I love the info I'm getting. I've pretty much ruled out the fenders since I want EQ on BOTH channels. So its between the Traynors. I think I can get out this weekend to try them out and make my decision.
    I'm not sure if this has helped my decision making process or hindered it, but I love the info I'm getting.

That's what I thought too,

Trust me though, I think it's a good thing....at least this way you can make sure you get what's for you.

Again, don't just limit to Traynors....that's what I started soing but I wanna look at more now :)

.NJD.
  • I'm not sure if this has helped my decision making process or hindered it, but I love the info I'm getting. I've pretty much ruled out the fenders since I want EQ on BOTH channels. So its between the Traynors. I think I can get out this weekend to try them out and make my decision.

I just did a search for you for Traynor dealers in Ottawa...give these places a call to see if they have the Traynor amps you are looking for.

Lauzon Music Center
    Long & McQuade
    Metro Music
    Ottawa Folklore Centre Ltd.
    Wall Sound

:)
    Ya, I'm trying not to limit but there are not a lot of other tube amps at the same price. Does peavey still make the classic 30?

EDIT: You can buy the classic 30 AND 50 from music123.com. I think stepping up to the 212 50 is probably worth the extra $140. So now its the Traynors or the Peaveys. Damn. They also have the 210 version and the 112. I am willing to pay a little bit of extra scratch if it means I get what I want. Is the 212 excessive.
    Ya, I'm trying not to limit but there are not a lot of other tube amps at the same price. Does peavey still make the classic 30?

EDIT: You can buy the classic 30 AND 50 from music123.com. I think stepping up to the 212 50 is probably worth the extra $140. So now its the Traynors or the Peaveys. Damn.

I'm excited for you to try them all out, you'll have such a better idea :)

.NJD.