***Official M&G Solo Contest Sign-Up***

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Just do it man, what do you have to lose? We're nice on this forum.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Once it seems like we have all the contestants were gonna get, we will discuss the backing track. It can be bluesy, grungy, country, who knows what it will be like. Maybe we can collectivley agree on a song to solo over or something. We shall see, regardless its a good get to know eachothers tone activity, and hopefully if this goes down well, we can do more, by going across all styles of music for the backing track, we will get to see the versatility in alot of the players on here.

harrison

by the way: sorry for the page of nonsense in this thread, it got a little out of control.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Well I think I haven't been on this forum for years but the idea of such a contest exites me so much I just can't resist : I'm in !
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Once it seems like we have all the contestants were gonna get, we will discuss the backing track. It can be bluesy, grungy, country, who knows what it will be like. Maybe we can collectivley agree on a song to solo over or something. We shall see, regardless its a good get to know eachothers tone activity, and hopefully if this goes down well, we can do more, by going across all styles of music for the backing track, we will get to see the versatility in alot of the players on here.

harrison

by the way: sorry for the page of nonsense in this thread, it got a little out of control.

We should solo over Alive....or Ledbetter!!! :D:D

Those are my best :):o
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • jbd wrote:
    Well I think I haven't been on this forum for years but the idea of such a contest exites me so much I just can't resist : I'm in !

welcome back!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Alright, sign me up! :) I just need help on all the computer stuff.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Good job^^. I think Alive, Ledbetter, RIFTW would be good. Maybe RIFTW and Ledbetter, ya know, one slow solo and one fast.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Good job^^. I think Alive, Ledbetter, RIFTW would be good. Maybe RIFTW and Ledbetter, ya know, one slow solo and one fast.

we dont want mike mccready impersonators though, so i think an original track would suit better. by the way, in my original post, it has everyoen who is participating, so go check out your compitition

• J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    we dont want mike mccready impersonators though, so i think an original track would suit better.

+1
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Well I've never recorded w/ my computer but hopefully I can figure it out. I'm in.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
    Beav wrote:
    Well I've never recorded w/ my computer but hopefully I can figure it out. I'm in.

There are at least two freeware software programs that will help you to do this.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

All you need then is way to get your signal into the PCs line in.

Oh, and this may help to get the files from MP3 to Wav and back again.

http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    Thanks! I'm gonna try to upload the backtrack to my Boss br1600cd then back again. I've never tried it but I'm sure it's not too hard.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • J.D. wrote:
    There are at least two freeware software programs that will help you to do this.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

All you need then is way to get your signal into the PCs line in.

Oh, and this may help to get the files from MP3 to Wav and back again.

http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm

thanks JD, i will eb sure to include this info with the email once i get it all together. thanks!

• Allright guys, its that special time...backing track desicion. Because we have about 10 people, i think its tiem to start deciding on what the track should be. I have a keyboard/midi for drums/piano, bass, and guitar. The drum beat will be extremely simple, but as far as the backign goes we have to make a desicion as a group. Heres what you have to figure:

Tempo:
    slow < 85bpm
    85bpm < mid < 115bpm
    fast > 115bpm

Style Genre:
    - electric rock
    - soft rock
    - acoustic melody
    - blues
    - any suggestions welcome

its gonna be in the key of G, just because alot of people who arent familiar with the neck still know this scale, and its extremely easy to write songs, so i hope you guys can agree on that.

The length will be aprox. 3 minutes. so just choose a style and tempo, and maybe even try and attach an artists style such as "neil youngish" or " 70's rock" or whatever. Hope we can agree!

my suggestion is "Mid paced heavy/pyschadelic blues"

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My vote goes for mid-tempo, 70's style rock. Just my two cents.

P.S. - Its moster, not monster like on the first page sign up. Common mistake! You can't help but insist that you see an "N" in there!
    Yeah, prob not a good idea to do a progression and Sir Mike solo's over, like the one poster said. Plus I've tried covering some so I would be stuck on that. :)

My vote on speed would have to be something low to mid tempo, just because if you get to high it sounds like your just wankin off, ala Eddie Van Halen.

I'm cool with all the suggested genre's of style.

And Neil Young-ish sounds amazing! :D
    Mid paced heavy/pyschadelic blues sounds interesting.

So does 70s rock.

I'm open to anything really and any key is fine.
  • so im definately seeing some older chunkier style of music, ala neil young....i could definately make some mid-tempo stuff like his. Something like, cortez the killer, even down by the river ish...? im thinking like a maggot brain that progressivly gets harder into something youngish. what do you guys thinking?

:Ecstatic: Anything Neil Young! Lol. I like how that sounds harrison.
    How did I miss that you typed Maggot Brain?! GASP! That's my vote. Maggot Brain-ish.
  • gobrowns19 wrote:
    How did I miss that you typed Maggot Brain?! GASP! That's my vote. Maggot Brain-ish.

i edited it, lol, im thining it will start with the slow arpeggios like maggot braind and eventually break into the heavy chords, neil young ish maybe, so i geuss we'll see how it goes. We have to decide how voting will go too...maybe i can start an online poll somewhere...peopel will have to be honest and vote only once though...

edit: http://www.snappoll.com seems like a good place to conduct the voting. just dont advertise yourself, we need the peopel to hear the songs, then vote accordingly because we want true results. maybe we can have the top two voted players, to have a showdown, with a new sample track.....hmmm tasty

I can't believe how amazing Maggot Brain-ish sounds right now. I don't think I've ever played anything Maggot Brain-ish, and to tell you the truth, I'm excited.
    my suggestion is "Mid paced heavy/pyschadelic blues"

What would be an example of this ???

:)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    What would be an example of this ???

Pink Floyd, maybe?
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I'd love Maggot Brain...

but that's only because I've done that one before!

No but seriously, Maggot Brain is a wicked backing. I'd love to do another.
  • What would be an example of this ???

like slower jimi hendrix, robin trower, funkadelic...etc...

like slower jimi hendrix, robin trower, funkadelic...etc...

Cool cool.

Hey I wonder if we can get this stickied!!??

.NJD.
  • Cool cool.

Hey I wonder if we can get this stickied!!??

since this isnt the confirmed thread, no. but once we have all our participants, and the sound samples, then hopefully we can get it sticked. This is definately gonna take some work on my aprt, but ill see what i can get together. Every couple months we should do this, different style backing tracks and whatnot. We'll have to set up a tutorial recording thread to for the average home computer person. And possibly find some freeware to distribute, im working on it though!

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    There's always this site too:

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list
    since this isnt the confirmed thread, no. but once we have all our participants, and the sound samples, then hopefully we can get it sticked. This is definately gonna take some work on my aprt, but ill see what i can get together. Every couple months we should do this, different style backing tracks and whatnot. We'll have to set up a tutorial recording thread to for the average home computer person. And possibly find some freeware to distribute, im working on it though!

Sounds good harrison!!

We appreciate it :)

This forum is the best!!!!!!!!

.NJD.