What do YOU have?

Comments

• moster78 wrote:
    Nice, thats my amp as well. I'm definitely going to have to take some of the previously noted settings as I really need to mess around with it a lot more to find some good tone.

Keep messing with it and I am sure you will find that sound you are looking for!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    moster78 wrote:
    Nice, thats my amp as well. I'm definitely going to have to take some of the previously noted settings as I really need to mess around with it a lot more to find some good tone.

I generally like the reverb on about 1 on those amps just to add a bit of prescense. If you can get the power tubes working (above 5 on the master) and then dial in a nice clean (usually 3 or 4 will yield a decent just on the verge of breaking up kind of deal and then set the EQ to taste it's great, especially with the Fat engaged, then adding a couple of boosts or the cascaded variety tube pedal like the aformentioned it will definately sing, Even moreso with a better speaker installed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I generally like the reverb on about 1 on those amps just to add a bit of prescense. If you can get the power tubes working (above 5 on the master) and then dial in a nice clean (usually 3 or 4 will yield a decent just on the verge of breaking up kind of deal and then set the EQ to taste it's great, especially with the Fat engaged, then adding a couple of boosts or the cascaded variety tube pedal like the aformentioned it will definately sing, Even moreso with a better speaker installed.

that's the recipe. right there. nothing else will do.
    exhausted wrote:
    that's the recipe. right there. nothing else will do.

then you change strings and get an Orange and the whole "harmonic complexity" thing goes to a different level. :D

There's a clark beaufort with 3 knob add on reverb on TGP. Please Santa Claus I was really good last year. Holy GAS Batman. 12in alnico weber. Damn the torpedos.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    layered amps. i can't believe how good the orange complements the fender.

on it's own, i think i actually prefer the clean tones on the orange.

but for dirty stuff, 2/3s fender with about 1/3 orange underneath it is outstanding. even at my little bedroom levels (that still rattle the ductwork).

i wish i could turn it up, just once.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Thanks. I think 5 on the master is a bit too loud than I can go, but maybe with the other volume lowered it won't be so bad. Can't hurt to try. I also have an SD-1 to add some overdrive. I think my amp has a Jensen speaker, which I don't think is stock.
    moster78 wrote:
    Thanks. I think 5 on the master is a bit too loud than I can go, but maybe with the other volume lowered it won't be so bad. Can't hurt to try. I also have an SD-1 to add some overdrive. I think my amp has a Jensen speaker, which I don't think is stock.

yeah the jensen is probably a mod, not my first choice but better than the stock eminence. It'll sound great. The SD-1 will do you well even better if you had two of them or a SD-1 into a BD-2 that kind of thing.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah the jensen is probably a mod, not my first choice but better than the stock eminence. It'll sound great. The SD-1 will do you well even better if you had two of them or a SD-1 into a BD-2 that kind of thing.

That's what the guy at GC told me when I bought it, about the speaker I mean. Funny you should mention the pedals too, I just bought HailHailVitalogy's extra BD-2.
    moster78 wrote:
    That's what the guy at GC told me when I bought it, about the speaker I mean. Funny you should mention the pedals too, I just bought HailHailVitalogy's extra BD-2.

good, they play very well toegther.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    good, they play very well toegther.

Cool. Can't wait to try them together. Thats one of my new year's resolutions, along with taking learning to play more seriously, is to use my Blues Junior more at home and just use my MicroCube when I go to my parents.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

The Jensen came stock in mine as well. What other speaker would you suggest if I wanted to replace it?

Also I like the settings you mentioned, I think I will try that out.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    The Jensen came stock in mine as well. What other speaker would you suggest if I wanted to replace it?

The vintage 30 is good all around match for Fender amps.

I happen to like a variety of speakers in there, Ted Weber has a ton of stuff that sounds good it depends on the character you want.

I bet a celestion blue would sound great but it's expensive, same goes for anything else that's alnico.

something slightly british like a greenback or a heritage 30 would be awesome.

Eminence has a few good ones as well

check out http://www.tedweber.com

http://www.celestion.com

you could also go the tone tubby route, but I don't have any experience with those.

a weber Thames or a celestion Heritage 30 would be really really nice.

I think ultimately I'd go with a greenback if I were going to swap.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    My rig is small, but it gets the job done

Amp
    Wizard Modern Classic 100 w/ Wizard 4x12

Guitars
    Terry McInturff FLE (#6 and #27)
    First Act Delia
    Goodall Rosewood Standard

Effects
    Lovetone Wobulator
    Lovetone Meatball
    DLS Echo Tap

I also have a recording setup.
    enharmonic wrote:
    My rig is small, but it gets the job done

Amp
    Wizard Modern Classic 100 w/ Wizard 4x12

Guitars
    Terry McInturff FLE (#6 and #27)
    First Act Delia
    Goodall Rosewood Standard

Effects
    Lovetone Wobulator
    Lovetone Meatball
    DLS Echo Tap

I also have a recording setup.

small, maybe but what can you really add? :D

I tried them out the second I got home. Sounds great, but damn, its just a little too loud for my shared house/apartment. Anything over 2 on the master is just too loud for my environment.
    moster78 wrote:
    I tried them out the second I got home. Sounds great, but damn, its just a little too loud for my shared house/apartment. Anything over 2 on the master is just too loud for my environment.

sorry, unfortunately us apt dwellers can't really use more than about 5 watts.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Yeah, kind of sucks. Have to take advantage of it when no one's around and pray my neighbors downstairs aren't there or don't mind. And I thought 15 watts wouldn't be too loud!
  • I posted it earlier in the month, but heres the link. further down the thread is a pic of all my guitars except one.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=156897

thanks!

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    small, maybe but what can you really add? :D

Trying to get a Cheese/Source before Dan stops making them.
    enharmonic wrote:
    Trying to get a Cheese/Source before Dan stops making them.

yeah, I occasionally see them on sales forums too, but good luck. What's the wait at this point?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

I hear you guys. Luckily my wife and I have a house so I can crank it a little bit louder. She gets kind of annoyed when I crank it up and man the cats hate it!

Next house we get I want a basement so I can just go down there and let that bad boy scream!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    so here's the pedalboard.
    http://brehell.ca/greg/pics/pedals011206.jpg

new addition of the diamond compressor last night. going to sell the dynacomp.
    Nice, I want the Diamond Comp. In the top two of my favorite pedal compressors you can't beat that EQ. If I ever go back to Halifax, I'm hanging out with those guys.
    i splurged. need things to distract from the stress of everything going on right now. plus i have a job interview next week so i'm stressed about being sneaky at my current job etc. even though my direct knows i'm going.

anyway. the diamond comp is very nice. quite subtle. as in, crank the comp knob and it's maybe 1/2 the squish of the dynacomp. which means it has a lot more useable range for humbuckers and my acoustic pick ups. which is what sold me.

it's very much one of those compressors that is good enough to not notice it's on until it's off. unless you dime the comp and turn up the level.

the EQ is nice because i can restore some of the presence on clean tones that i lose using an attenuator. and it's bypassable on the circuit board if so desired.

i didn't get a chance to run the rickenbacker through it last night but i look forward to it.
    exhausted wrote:
    i splurged. need things to distract from the stress of everything going on right now. plus i have a job interview next week so i'm stressed about being sneaky at my current job etc. even though my direct knows i'm going.

anyway. the diamond comp is very nice. quite subtle. as in, crank the comp knob and it's maybe 1/2 the squish of the dynacomp. which means it has a lot more useable range for humbuckers and my acoustic pick ups. which is what sold me.

it's very much one of those compressors that is good enough to not notice it's on until it's off. unless you dime the comp and turn up the level.

the EQ is nice because i can restore some of the presence on clean tones that i lose using an attenuator. and it's bypassable on the circuit board if so desired.

i didn't get a chance to run the rickenbacker through it last night but i look forward to it.

I bet it's great. My problem with my Dynacomp that eric modded/fixed was the treble. the EQ would fix that. Well you bought the Orange, now it's my turn to go get a Deluxe.
    i actually didn't have an issue with the EQ of the dynacomp. in fact, as a new reissue, it was brighter than the 97 reissue i had before it. however, it just didn't have the range for different pickups. same problem i had with the keeley, the maxon and the emma.

however, the EQ is also a very useable bonus.

i've only emailed with one of the builders when i was getting the switch in the drive replaced but a really nice guy so i don't mind supporting them even though i could have gotten a tonepress or something cheaper. especially since they're canadian and making pedals that always have a new twist, like the tone control on the drive etc.
  • Gits;

JJ Retro HB - beautiful English-hand-built (i.e. not even a CNC) double-cutaway, mahogany with maple-cap. I had it specially-ordered and was told by the Sales Director at JJ that it was the first one. Don't have scanned 'pic but the one at this URL looks like it before it was hand-delivered - http://www.jjguitars.com/retrohb.shtml
    Pisses all over any PRS yet invented.

Yamaha Pacifica 412V SSH. Cheap but fanstatically-built take on a Strat. I wanted a genuine single-coil-equipped guitar, but thought the Fenders were ridiculously-priced for the quality at the low-end. The Pacifica fits the bill perfectly. Flawless.

Unbranded nylon - but still played regularly.

Amps:
    Peavey Classic 30
    Johnson 10-watt practise amp

Pedals:
    VOX volume pedal
    VOX wah
    TS9
    Boss CS-1 compressor
    Big Muff
    Double Muff
    Boss GT-6 multi-effects (still not got to grips with, not helped 'cos no patch editor for a 'Mac).
    I hear you guys. Luckily my wife and I have a house so I can crank it a little bit louder. She gets kind of annoyed when I crank it up and man the cats hate it!

Next house we get I want a basement so I can just go down there and let that bad boy scream!

When I eventually become a home owner, my basement or garage shall be used for such purposed. One of these days I'll drag my amp to my parents, head for the garage and annoy the crap out of everyone, especially my dog.
  • "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

The Blue Dog and Silver Bell Ceramic or Alnico's would also sound good, check out the clips!!!!