Options

Get Out the Vote Rally and Concert in Seattle - Mike, Stone, & Tom Morello

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,952
edited October 2008 in The Porch
Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine/The Nightwatchman,
Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready and Stone Gossard Plus Special Guests
Join Together for a Get Out the Vote Rally and Concert at Seattle’s
Showbox at The Market on November 3, 2008

SEATTLE — Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine/The Nightwatchman, Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready and his band Shadow ’86, Pearl Jam’s Stone Gossard with the Hank Khoir, Boots Riley of the Coup and special guests are set to perform Monday, November 3, 2008 at the Showbox at The Market. In an effort to encourage voter participation, this group of notable artists is joining forces for an Election Day-eve get out the vote rally and musical celebration. With the help of local and national voter education organizations, concertgoers will be encouraged to not only get to the polls the following day, but to spread the word to their social networks on the importance of voting. (Details on specific organizations and concert partners to be announced in the coming weeks.)

“Fellow Shadow ’86 bandmate, Chris Friel, approached me with the idea of putting together a small get out the vote show,” said Mike McCready. “When we learned Tom Morello was planning to be in town and had a similar vision, the idea just grew from there.”

No stranger to the world of politics, Morello comes to Seattle on the heels of last Spring’s Justice Tour where Morello and a host of other activist/artists took to the road to raise awareness on such issues as homelessness, social justice, living wages, veterans’ rights and the importance of getting involved in the political process. Morello’s notable appearance at both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions followed up this effort, where he performed with his Rage Against the Machine bandmates.

“While we realize a large percentage of voters are planning to vote absentee this year, there are still countless individuals who plan to make their presence known at the polls,” said McCready. “Our goal is to ensure that every person who wants to vote on November 4th is not only informed, but is motivated to encourage friends and family across the country to vote too.”

Voter participation has long been a central theme of Pearl Jam’s activism. Beginning with Pearl Jam’s ’92 ‘Drop in the Park’ concert and continuing on through 2004’s Vote for Change concert tour, Pearl Jam has remained an outspoken advocate on the importance of making your voice heard.

More About Tom Morello
A Harvard University political science graduate, Morello continues to work to organize music fans and social change advocates around these important issues through his political group, Axis of Justice. In 2006, Morello was honored with an Eleanor Roosevelt Human Rights Award for his organization's work by American Rights at Work.

November 3rd’s get out the vote event is part of Morello’s larger tour in support of his second solo album, "The Fabled City.”

"My goal was to capture the energy and emotion of The Nightwatchman live shows. There is a much more rocking quality to this record, solos and riffs, mixed with darker acoustic songs," Morello explained, continuing, "I had a lot of devastating losses of family and friends during the past two years and 'The Fabled City' is a search for hope through music and confronting injustice."

More About Shadow ‘86
Shadow ’86 is a JImi Hendrix tribute band featuring Mike McCready of Pearl Jam and Chris and Rick Friel (members of McCready’s original 1986 band Shadow). The group has played several benefit shows in Seattle over the past year.

Ticket Info
Tickets for this show are $10 (not including applicable service charges) and are available beginning October 11, 2008 at 10:00 am online at http://www.ticketmaster.com, by phone at 206-628-0888, at all Ticketmaster outlets or at the Showbox at The Market box office. For additional ticket information, please goto http://www.showboxonline.com. Show is for ages 18 and over.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wow
  • Options
    You Lucky American Bastards
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Seattles the place to be..
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    einatshaul wrote:

You're so right!

Hi!
  • Options
    Shit. I think thats an amazing lineup already!
  • Options
    EdVedHedEdVedHed Posts: 100
    einatshaul wrote:

Yes it is !! Wish you were still here too
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.......Nietzsche
  • Options
    if it wasn't a great lineup already: Plus Special Guests
    Maui I 98 / Camden II 98 / Jones Beach I,II,III 00 / Camden I,II 00 / Philadelphia 03 / Camden I 03 / Mansfield III 03 / Reading 04 / Montreal 05 / Camden II 06 / East Rutherford I 06 / Camden I 08 / NYC I,II 08
  • Options
    assasinassasin Posts: 61
    Cornell is in town the night before and does not have another show until the 6th. He also mentioned meeting with some old friends in his last blog. AIC is around town also. I know this because I am in a Fantasy foot ball league with them. I think its going to turn out to be a killer lineup.

see you their,
  • Options
    sennin wrote:
    You're so right!

See ya in the Green Room... :)

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    Now THAT would be sweet!!
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Shouldn't this be called Get Out the Vote for Obama?
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    sucks to not be in seattle for this!
    but im not even 18 yet so I couldnt go if I wanted.
    have fun everyone
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    what are the chances that Mike, Stone, and Tom will do a song together?
  • Options
    assasinassasin Posts: 61
    Broham
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,355
    Holy F-ING S my head is going to explode just thinking about all the possibilities
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    wolfman wrote:

I am so f***ing jealous! I'm starting to think along the lines of a trip to Seattle somewhere 2010, after the new album is released. You Americans get everything....
  • Options
    so if I go to the Showbox sat to buy tix, can I avoid Ticketmaster fees?
    ( yes I know I can just call them)
    ;)
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    Mike McCready's farts are more musically refined than Tom Morello's guitar playing.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    manhattan wrote:
    what are the chances that Mike, Stone, and Tom will do a song together?
    pretty likely
    "Yeah, but what happened to the Dufranes?"
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I'll be there. Shadow at The Tractor kicked ass. This will be a great show.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Mike McCready's farts are more musically refined than Tom Morello's guitar playing.

That is absolutely ridiculous! I love Mike and Stone, but Tom has the potential of blowing them out of the water.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mca47 wrote:
    That is absolutely ridiculous! I love Mike and Stone, but Tom has the potential of blowing them out of the water.

Not at a Seattle show.

I'm going to see Stone & Mike. Morello is an amazing DJ who does wacky things with a guitar which is pretty cool, but not my style. I'm more of a traditionalist, so definitely more interested in Mike's playing style.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,681
    This sounds like it's gonna rock!!
    I wish I could be there...
    Think, Think, Think
    Hmmm.... now, how to get to the other side of the country on a school night.
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,681
    Just checked this out on TM. It's billed as Tom Morello w/special guests.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,616
    so wish i could be there!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Shared a few drinks with Boots, would go to see him alone! Have a grand time at this shindig West Coasters!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Not at a Seattle show.

I'm going to see Stone & Mike. Morello is an amazing DJ who does wacky things with a guitar which is pretty cool, but not my style. I'm more of a traditionalist, so definitely more interested in Mike's playing style.

I'm the same way. I prefer Mike and Stone's style more than Tom's but to say the guy isn't an amazing guitar player is just silly.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,982
    wolfman wrote:

NOt everyone is so lucky. Me, I'll be at home. How is the ecomomy in your neighborhood?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I wish I still lived in Seattle...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    You lucky Seattle BASTARDS....something ridiculous is going to happen that night....

Oh and GET OUT AND VOTE!!!