New Cabinet

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    nailz100 wrote:
    How bout that empty cab with (1) greenback in it and (1) vintage 30?...could be cool sounding. or is it too hard to run different speakers in the same cab?

not hard at all. it's done quite a bit i think and could be cool.
  • exhausted wrote:

I really think a Ceramic would fit the EL-84 tone a bit better...

It's worth trying, either way... is the speaker in the DR RI an alnico? You said you like that tone...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I really think a Ceramic would fit the EL-84 tone a bit better...

It's worth trying, either way... is the speaker in the DR RI an alnico? You said you like that tone...

they have a ceramic version of the same speaker. the DR has a ceramic jensen.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    How bout that empty cab with (1) greenback in it and (1) vintage 30?...could be cool sounding. or is it too hard to run different speakers in the same cab?

You can mis-match speakers, wattages, and even ohmages...

The biggest thing is to figure out the total wattage rating and resistance. If you wanted an 8-ohm cab, you would either want two 4-ohm speakers, or two 16-ohm speakers (probably easier to find the 16-ohm versions).
  • exhausted wrote:
    they have a ceramic version of the same speaker. the DR has a ceramic jensen.

I dunno...

A ceramic version of that speaker would compare to the Ceramic Jensen in your DR, although you can probably get a 10" version of that speaker, too (for a lot less).

That speaker (in AlNiCo) is what I have in my Vibro Champ... funny...
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I got (2) different speakers (both rated at 8 ohms) what would the overall ohmage of the cabinet be? Why would I want (2) 4ohm speakers or (2) 16 ohms?
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    nailz100 wrote:
    I got (2) different speakers (both rated at 8 ohms) what would the overall ohmage of the cabinet be? Why would I want (2) 4ohm speakers or (2) 16 ohms?

series or parallel wiring. two 4ohms in series would be 8 ohms total. two16 ohms in parallel would be 8 ohms total.

two 4ohms in parallel would be 2ohms total.
    etc. etc.
    I'm no expert on wiring these things by any means, but I am pretty sure I want the output on the cab to be 8 ohms. whats better, series or parallel...or does it matter? I am looking at getting price quotes on some celestions up here in Canada, and possibly getting that empty cab on E-bay...don't know how hard It'll be to do all the wiring in that cab and get it completed though.
  • exhausted wrote:
    series or parallel wiring. two 4ohms in series would be 8 ohms total. two16 ohms in parallel would be 8 ohms total.

two 4ohms in parallel would be 2ohms total.
    etc. etc.

Bingo...

If you put two speakers in parallel wiring, it divides the resistance in half. If you wire in series, it doubles the resistance. More than two speakers gets more complicated...

Most four-speaker cabs use series/parallel wiring, in which the speakers are wired in pairs in series, and then the two pairs are wired together parallel, which means the total resistance is the same as the resistance of each speaker (half of double = same).

So, a 2x12" cab with 8-ohm speakers would be either a 4-ohm cab (in parallel) or a 16-ohm cab (in series). And the 16-ohm cab would work for you.

Ultimately, you might want to get a 16-ohm cab, so if you ever get another cab, you can wire them together and the total load (parallel wiring) would be 8-ohms. But that might be complicating things too much.
    So I could get 2 (16) ohm celestion Greenback speakers and run them parallel and that would be an 8 ohm cab....and then in the future I could add on another 8 ohm cab and just plug into the 16 ohm jack instead....I kinda like that Idea. That way an 8 ohm cab to start is probably the most ideal for me.
  • Carvin 2-12 extension cabinet??? I've been playign thru a bel-air for about 5 years now. I've had a board problem when a tube shorted out, but the cabinet is nice.

I'd agree. Check out Carvin.

I have an older Legacy 2x12 cab (8 ohm) with Greenbacks and it kicks serious ass. SWEET does not begin to describe the tone out of this thing. Anyhow, it has the open/closed back versatility that you speak of (I use it open). The newer models of this cab (past couple of years) now have the V-30's in them. You can probably find a used one for not too much, as I got mine used for around $200. New, they're closer to $400 i think.

I'va also heard really good things about the Vintage and MTS series cabinets (not so much amps), so you could check those out as they would be cheaper in price.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
    *cough* you wanna sell yours...
  • nailz100 wrote:
    *cough* you wanna sell yours...

Sorry man...I don't think I'd wanna sell the cab. I think it was the best investment I made after getting a good tube amp. Look around, you're bound to find one somewhere (one would think). Good luck!
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
    I kinda figured you wouldn't after calling it SWEET. I think its probably pretty similar to what I am looking for. What kind of music do you play? If you could keep your eyes open for me as well it would be much appreciated...or let me know if you change your mind.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    So I could get 2 (16) ohm celestion Greenback speakers and run them parallel and that would be an 8 ohm cab....and then in the future I could add on another 8 ohm cab and just plug into the 16 ohm jack instead....I kinda like that Idea. That way an 8 ohm cab to start is probably the most ideal for me.

Actually, you could get 2 8-ohm speakers, run them in series, and have a 16-ohm cabinet. Then if you ever got a second cabinet that was 16-ohms, you could run the two CABINETS in parallel, so the load on the amp was 8-ohms.

Look at this really quick:

http://www.tonetubby.com/wiring.gif

The typical way to wire two cabinets to a single amp is by wiring them in parallel. You CAN wire two cabinets to a single amp in series, but it would require re-wiring the entire set-up, and would be entirely too complicated. This is true whether you plug both cabinets into the amp, or if you just daisy-chain the cabinets off each other.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    I kinda figured you wouldn't after calling it SWEET. I think its probably pretty similar to what I am looking for. What kind of music do you play? If you could keep your eyes open for me as well it would be much appreciated...or let me know if you change your mind.

I pretty much just play whatever comes to mind. I don't get to play as often as I'd like to, but once in a while jam w/ friends. The tone from the Greenbacks is WARM and sounds perfect (in my opinion) with a nice, slightly to moderately driven tube amp.

I'll keep my eyes open for you. If you decided to go for the V-30's instead, Carvin has those cabs (new) for $340. It's up to you, but I'd wait and see if something comes up.
    I kinda like the sound of the Greenbacks. I may even consider getting (1) greenback and (1) of something else and wire up my own 2 x 12 cabinet. let me know if you change your mind and want to part with er...

• Sold for $265.

What a steal.
    Yeah, it was a killer deal....F*k I should have bid on it.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Yeah, it was a killer deal....F*k I should have bid on it.

Oh, fudgeitall...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3777226759

I can't afford it, someone else might as well see her.
    Does that Sovtek head sound pretty good? Maybe I'll buy the whole thing and sell you the head for cheap.....we'll see.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Does that Sovtek head sound pretty good? Maybe I'll buy the whole thing and sell you the head for cheap.....we'll see.

Sovtek heads are kind of like a middle ground between a Marshall Plexi and a Fender Bassman. They are a great amp, built with Russian military surplus parts, solid and reliable. It's not the exact sound you're looking for, but it's an economical choice that would treat you really well, especially with the right pedal out in front (it's a single-channel amp). You could get the whole thing, upgrade the speakers in the cab (it has low-wattage Eminence in there, from what I can tell), and use that until the funds for the Bogner are ready.
  • nailz100 wrote:

Well, ya missed it...

I really want another Mig 50 head, and I'd love to get a matching cab to go with it (probably put V30's in it).

Of course, I still want to build my custom cabinet, too... I have the plan, just need the $$$.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nailz100 wrote:

Your budget tone route would probably be better served, with a yamaha (soldano) T50 or an old Carvin MTS.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Your budget tone route would probably be better served, with a yamaha (soldano) T50 or an old Carvin MTS.

Oh, go suck on some cilantro, Georgia.

Mig rules!
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

Maybe THIS would be better?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23787&item=3778266749&rd=1
    Hahaha....Thats hilarious. I am actually waiting for the guy from tone tools to get back to me to see if I can have a custom cabinet made for a good price.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Hahaha....Thats hilarious. I am actually waiting for the guy from tone tools to get back to me to see if I can have a custom cabinet made for a good price.

You could probably get the hardware yourself, and find a good cabinet maker (like kitchen and bathroom cabinets) to build a box. Then you'd just have to get it covered or finished...

I know a local guy who does live sound and builds some of his own PA boxes... once I get the $$$ figured out, we're going to build my box at his shop.

Tone Tools will probably have a standard box that will work for you... custom boxes can get kinda pricey.
  • That Matamp is just gorgeous...

And it's only a 3-hour drive from me.

Hmm...

I'd probably rather look for the elusive Mig 30. Only marginally easier to find.

I'd like to pick up one of those diagonally-oriented Marshall 2x12"s. It would match nicely with my Marshall 4x10".

Been thinking a lot about letting go of the Weber cab... any interest? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?