Options

Anyone else hoping for less politics this tour??

124»

Comments

• Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    The fact that PJ uses their influence,on stage and off,to affect positive social change is exactly what makes me proud to say I'm a fan.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    I'm hoping for MORE politics!!
    We need it now more than ever.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    spearhead wrote:

agreed 100% ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i'd be suspicious if there *wasn't* political talk, especially in an election year. i'll take ed's passion onstage any way he wants to share it :)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    spearhead wrote:

Hey, I'm all for Ed being who he is and saying what he wants ... but we don't NEED anything.

Ed calling Bush an asshole isn't going to fix what's wrong with world.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Are you kidding???? It's going to be ten times more if anything being that we are now getting closer and closer to the election.
    And that never bothered me anyway, maybe because I happen to share those beliefs. So, I enjoy the rants. I'm not sure how possible would it be for me to be their fan had they been all about having bikini dancers on stage and their songs were about crankin' and bling and cash and hos !! :-P
    How about a compromise? Bikini dancers and politics, then everyone is happy. :)
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I don't mind it and plus I already have the candidate I'll be voting for.

I just like to hear some good tunes and a great show. More No Code and Yield songs, please Eddie! :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Hey, I'm all for Ed being who he is and saying what he wants ... but we don't NEED anything.

Ed calling Bush an asshole isn't going to fix what's wrong with world.

Ed calling Bush an asshole would simply be overstating the obvious, I think they will focus instead on pumping the crowd up to get out and vote for Obama in November!
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    Art is politics.
    If it weren't for their politics, and their courage to incorporate their beliefs into their music even when it wasn't "acceptable," it's unlikely that I would be as big a fan.
    Keep it coming. More politics!
    Anyone who says otherwise is either naive or apathetic.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    Art is politics.

Wrong. Art is emotion.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Dollpartz wrote:
    Ed calling Bush an asshole would simply be overstating the obvious, I think they will focus instead on pumping the crowd up to get out and vote for Obama in November!

Again ... he can do what he wants. But there aren't a hell of a lot of people going to the show who will be like, "I wasn't sure who to vote for when I walked in here tonight. But this long-haired dude with the baritone voice says I should vote for Obama. So that's what I'll do!"

It doesn't offend me if Ed wants to tell me who to vote for. I just don't see the point.
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Again ... he can do what he wants. But there aren't a hell of a lot of people going to the show who will be like, "I wasn't sure who to vote for when I walked in here tonight. But this long-haired dude with the baritone voice says I should vote for Obama. So that's what I'll do!"

It doesn't offend me if Ed wants to tell me who to vote for. I just don't see the point.

It's more the people who weren't going to vote for anyone, methinks.

1st post, yay.
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    It's an election year.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I have no problem with the band being political, as long as they don't go overboard with it, it's fine by me. If they say anything, I'd expect something like "We support Obama, but what's most important is that you go out and vote"

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Wrong. Art is emotion.

I'm guessing you don't know much about art history or rock 'n' roll history then.

For all of you wanting a rock band without politics or subversive lyrics, a band that doesn't make you think about anything but getting drunk, laid and high, may I direct you to the Kiss Arm web site.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    I'm guessing you don't know much about art history or rock 'n' roll history then.

So every song in the history of rock n roll is political?

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" -- political?
    "Surfin' Safari" -- political?
    "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" -- political?
    "I Wanna Be Sedated" -- political?
    "Cat Scratch Fever" -- political?
    "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" -- political?

No, they are not. Not every rock song springs from politics. Not all art springs from politics.

Art springs from feeling and emotion, and is a reflection of that feeling and emotion. A slice of that emotion can come from politics, sure, but there is a whole palate of inspiration out there apart from politics as well. Love, hate, anger, etc etc etc.

So to say art = politics is actually to be very limiting of what art can be about. If PJ believed that, they wouldn't play about 3/4 of their catalogue.
  • Options
    People who want to strip politics out of Pearl Jam miss the point

They have ALWAYS tackled the tough issues and put their political viewpoint out there

Choose to listen but not agree, fine

But to reject the political aspects of Pearl Jam is to reject the band itself
  • Options
    So every song in the history of rock n roll is political?

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" -- political?
    "Surfin' Safari" -- political?
    "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" -- political?
    "I Wanna Be Sedated" -- political?
    "Cat Scratch Fever" -- political?
    "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" -- political?

No, they are not. Not every rock song springs from politics. Not all art springs from politics.

Art springs from feeling and emotion, and is a reflection of that feeling and emotion. A slice of that emotion can come from politics, sure, but there is a whole palate of inspiration out there apart from politics as well. Love, hate, anger, etc etc etc.

So to say art = politics is actually to be very limiting of what art can be about. If PJ believed that, they wouldn't play about 3/4 of their catalogue.

Art in of itself doesn't equal politics, but I would argue that PJ's political worldview informs all of their music

And that worldview is not some static thing to point to and say "look, that's what Pearl Jam believes"

It is a constantly changing and evolving manifestation of their desire to make this planet a better, safer, sturdier place than they found it

And not agreeing with a particular viewpoint or two seems like a pretty petty criticism of the band

Open your mind to what PJ and everyone else has to say, do some research, and make up your own mind
  • Options
    ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    I hope they decide to only do speeches on this tour.

No songs, just rants.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    I prefer shows not be ruined by Ed's political feelings. He's obviously allowed to have any opinions he wants, but just keep that stuff out of MSG this year. At Uniondale '03, I witnessed a great PJ show deteriorate into boos and thrown change and a shortened encore. Never again, please.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    long red wrote:
    I prefer shows not be ruined by Ed's political feelings. He's obviously allowed to have any opinions he wants, but just keep that stuff out of MSG this year. At Uniondale '03, I witnessed a great PJ show deteriorate into boos and thrown change and a shortened encore. Never again, please.

that was such a blazing main set ,,, dam u vedder
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    that was such a blazing main set ,,, dam u vedder

i know your stance on this subject j and yeah it might of been too soon to get on the leader of this country but really the cluless were in full force that night and after all ed was correct .....
  • Options
    i know your stance on this subject j and yeah it might of been too soon to get on the leader of this country but really the cluless were in full force that night and after all ed was correct .....

its a waste to debate because i was directly affected (very hard by 911)
    i lost over 100 friends family and co-workers

so i just didnt want to hear about bush that night

in hindsight yes he's a fool...... but that night i just wanted music and it was pearl jam at their very best in the main set and poof it was gone
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    its a waste to debate because i was directly affected (very hard by 911)
    i lost over 100 friends family and co-workers

so i just didnt want to hear about bush that night

in hindsight yes he's a fool...... but that night i just wanted music and it was pearl jam at their very best in the main set and poof it was gone

i hear you bro i can't deny that we just needed music ....and i agree it was probably the hottest set i had witnessed up to that point in the tour ....i expect even more passion this time ....ok i'm off to work
  • Options
    i hear you bro i can't deny that we just needed music ....and i agree it was probably the hottest set i had witnessed up to that point in the tour ....i expect even more passion this time ....ok i'm off to work

it was a blazing set lol

later dude