Options

Anyone else hoping for less politics this tour??

binauralonthecapebinauralonthecape Posts: 257
edited June 2008 in The Porch
there seems to be more and more liberal spew each tour, and with this year being an election year, i"m guessing eddie will have something to say, so who else is tired of it???
8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I want Eddie to come to his senses and realize that ALL politicians are scum, including Obama.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    I'm sure Ed will bring up some political views since it's a big election year.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I want Eddie to come to his senses and realize that ALL politicians are scum, including Obama.

You can't kick them all out.

Obama 08
  • Options
    basbas Posts: 16
    I hope theirs more politics, i love his speeches and rants... last show i went to their were no extended speeches, kinda disappointing
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Moving Train!!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    im not sure theres anything to be said about it but im sure we will get a "go vote" rant... which is fine by me as long as they go right into a kickass song afterwards! :D
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    If you want PJ to stop talking poliitics, then maybe you are missing what Pearl Jam are about this point of there career? It would be like asking John Lennon not to voice his opinion, not happening.
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    there seems to be more and more liberal spew each tour, and with this year being an election year, i"m guessing eddie will have something to say, so who else is tired of it???

so basically shut up and sing? allrighty then.

I don't know if you've actually LISTENED to a PJ record since 1994 but they're all pretty intensly political.

what fuels ed's music is what is on his mind. it's all expression and in my view, part of the deal.

Pearl jam should agree to do one album about banging groupies behind a tour bus just to appease the "anti politics" crowd.

works for Aerosmith. They're making the worst music of their career and couldn't be more popular.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Lizardking wrote:
    If you want PJ to stop talking poliitics, then maybe you are missing what Pearl Jam are about this point of there career? It would be like asking John Lennon not to voice his opinion, not happening.
    I don't think i could ask John Lennon to do anything these days...

HEYO!
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    I don't think i could ask John Lennon to do anything these days...

HEYO!

aha. i feel like i really shouldn't have laughed at that, but...i did.
    i've been in my mind, it's such a fine line...
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    MattyJoe wrote:
    My sentiments exactly
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008

Not I.
    If you don't like it, stop taking up seats. :)
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    sometimes the volatile political climate brings even more passion to the performance,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I enjoy his rants. It's part of the entire experience.

Probably doesn't hurt that I subscribe to many of the things Eddie expounds.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I'm hoping for 10X more to get you people who don't like it to leave! It's a political band and always has been! I love it!! Someone needs to say something, and DO something. If you don't like it, why are you a fan of the band?
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    I'm hoping for 10X more to get you people who don't like it to leave! It's a political band and always has been! I love it!! Someone needs to say something, and DO something. If you don't like it, why are you a fan of the band?
    this is a bad way to phrase it too - the 'if you don't like it then leave' stuff. I kind of hate people that go that route when they disagree with a statement.

I personally don't care for the long rants but I'm not going to complain when he brings up political stuff - just make a point and let it go... if that makes sense.

That being said I'm there for the music (to answer the 'If you don't like it, why are you a fan of the band?' statement) - not the over-the-top rants. But to be fair during the 04 VFC tour there wasn't THAT much ranting in-between. He did a good job of getting his points in and then moving on... short but sweet.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    Pearl Jam, and Ed in particular, have been political (and liberal) since Ten.

They kinda go hand in hand.

Youre not going to AC/DC concerts....this is Pearl Jam.

I think if you are going to any of the shows, you should not only expect it, but somewhat enjoy it, because if you dont really mesh with their beliefs its kinda hard to mesh with a lot of their music.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    I'm sure Ed will bring up some political views since it's a big election year.

I figured this is why we're actually seeing this little tour.
    For Rent
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    MattyJoe wrote:

Uh, if that is true, there are definitely varying degrees of scum. McCain is way more evil than Obama...realistically, those are the two choices. I will vote for the less evil of the two.

I dont know how some of you conservatives do it. If Ed started supporting (through song and words) the Bush/McCain regime, there is no way I would continue to be such a big fan. Although it would be interesting to hear him write songs promoting lying to the public and killing people in a serious fashion.

And for those of you who will be going home because you are "sick of the politics" can you tell me on your way by so I can move up into your seats?
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    We can say goodbye to our prosperous economy if all of Obama's idea come to fruition. The only reason most of you are voting for him is because of the Iraq war. I agree that we shouldn't be there, but I am also well aware of what else Obama believes in.

National Healthcare certainly has good intention behind it, I can't fault him or other Democrats for that, but it just won't work. Subsidizing insurance costs is only the first stage of his plan. He eventually wants to nationalize the entire system, like Canada. The quality of the healthcare will be significantly reduced, the traditional government bureaucracy will overrun the system causing extensive waits and backups for surgeries and doctor visits, medical breakthroughs will hardly ever occur in the United States anymore, doctors will no longer be private practicing, they'll be government employees earning much less than they are now; all of these things are fostered by competition between businesses which would be eliminated by National Healthcare. By no means do I think I deserve good healthcare just because I have the ability to pay while others get nothing. I just don't think this is the solution.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    anything would be better than Propagandapolloza last year. They could have played about 4 more songs in the time wasted by Ed talking. mentioning the pollution of Lake Michigan (which was in view of the venue) was cool I guess. but of course, he didn't stop there. blah, blah, Bush sucks, blah, blah. same old stuff.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CrazyMollyCrazyMolly Posts: 24
    bovy_j wrote:
    Not I.
    If you don't like it, stop taking up seats. :)

Perfectly put.
    Eddie Vedder (Berkeley1) 4/7/08
    Eddie Vedder (Santa Cruz) 4/5/08
    Bridge School 10/21/06
    SF3 07/18/06
    SF2 07/16/06
    LA2 07/10/06
  • Options
    Speakers wrote:
    Uh, if that is true, there are definitely varying degrees of scum. McCain is way more evil than Obama...realistically, those are the two choices. I will vote for the less evil of the two.
    Yes, because Obama doesn't associate himself with someone who bombed people in the Weather Underground, spent 20 years with his 'spiritual mentor' who blames the US for aids, terrorism, etc, etc and of course overpaid for land from Rezko who was just found guilty on 16 charges...

Obama's a standup guy though... really... he's the second coming...
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229
    For those who say all politicians are scum, why don't you do something? Run for office yourself, promote the candidates you like, organize like-minded people, etc. The majority of laws that affect most people on a daily basis are from the state and local level - in most places it is really easy to connect with decision makers at that level and share your views. Maybe you will even find someone you don't think is scum.

I don't have the same ideology as the band, but it is nice to hear people speaking up for their beliefs. It isn't as though you go to a show and hear more political talk than music.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    My god, i LOVE politic-peppered shows! I think DC will be epic this year because of the election.
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229
    drsluggo wrote:
    Yes, because Obama doesn't associate himself with someone who bombed people in the Weather Underground, spent 20 years with his 'spiritual mentor' who blames the US for aids, terrorism, etc, etc and of course overpaid for land from Rezko who was just found guilty on 16 charges...

Obama's a standup guy though... really... he's the second coming...

These arguments are weak. Guilt by association when there is no reason to believe that Ayers or Wright have ever had any influence on his political beliefs. Knowing someone, and in the Ayers case simply having him as a neighbor at one point, means nothing. And if Obama had any shady dealings with Rezko, we have have known of them by now.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    CrazyMollyCrazyMolly Posts: 24
    cbbjr wrote:
    For those who say all politicians are scum, why don't you do something? Run for office yourself, promote the candidates you like, organize like-minded people, etc. The majority of laws that affect most people on a daily basis are from the state and local level - in most places it is really easy to connect with decision makers at that level and share your views. Maybe you will even find someone you don't think is scum.

I don't have the same ideology as the band, but it is nice to hear people speaking up for their beliefs. It isn't as though you go to a show and hear more political talk than music.

I have to say, I respect you. You and I may not share the same political views, but we dont have to. And you seem like a very wise person who is clued into how this government works and what it stands for. I applaud you for being honest and respectful to all individuals. There should be more people like you in this world.
    Eddie Vedder (Berkeley1) 4/7/08
    Eddie Vedder (Santa Cruz) 4/5/08
    Bridge School 10/21/06
    SF3 07/18/06
    SF2 07/16/06
    LA2 07/10/06
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350
    politics on the tour? whatever, I don't care. The new album on the other hand, I really want him to drop the politics
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    cbbjr wrote:
    These arguments are weak. Guilt by association when there is no reason to believe that Ayers or Wright have ever had any influence on his political beliefs. Knowing someone, and in the Ayers case simply having him as a neighbor at one point, means nothing. And if Obama had any shady dealings with Rezko, we have have known of them by now.
    Yeah - spending 20 years w/ someone who has been hailed by Obama as a spiritual mentor, etc, etc... that's not 'just an association.'

He worked on committees with Ayers... i beleive Ayers held Obama's first fundraiser at his house as well.

You can just try and pass them off if you'd like... but there's a reason you associate yourself with people. Because you share common interests, etc. Not always just politically, but come on - you can't have your head that deep in the sand already can you?
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    I bet there will just as much, if not more of political rants this year. Its part of who Ed is, I don't see biting his tongue.