Cleveland... New band... Gear Ramblings

House53House53 Posts: 1,276
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, Cleveland is an exciting town. (excuse the sarcasm)

I am sure the places I visit while with work would be great towns to visit on a vacation. However, the parts of town I see. Our facility, my hotel, and the local chain restaurants wear me out.

Anyways.

I think I have a new potential gig lined up. I know of a drummer and bass player looking for a guitarist and singer. So, the lead player from the previous band and I are going to meet up with them sometime in the next couple of weeks.

One idea on the guitar front.

Just to change things up...
Trade my SG and Ghia for this pair...

the new '72 tele deluxe and a Dr. Z Maz 18 jr.

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN2496.JPG

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN2291.JPG
There's No Code.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    tele deluxes are freakin' awesome. i assume that's a real 72 and not the new reissue? edit: reissue. i can't read.

and i wish i could buy that ghia.
    the maz is a good idea but don't dump a gibson for a mexican-made fender.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Originally posted by House53
    http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN2496.JPG

:eek: Dude!!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    not sure you'll like the maz as much as the Ghia.

Maybe a route 66 or a KT-45 perhaps the Z-28. I think Simplicity is your game.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    True enough.

If that were an original, I would be all about it. I know what you mean.

I might order myself a Ghia 212 combo. Although, that would be a custom order, that isn't a standard production model.

I am looking for a combo amp... portability and compact for the home.

Of course, there is always the option of keeping what I have and playing it...

Maybe, as Pac79 as pointed out... I should consider a G&L bluesboy... or a G&L deluxe with twin humbuckers... that might be a good idea for me...
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    not sure you'll like the maz as much as the Ghia.

Maybe a route 66 or a KT-45 perhaps the Z-28. I think Simplicity is your game.

a KT-45 would be nice. I wish local shop had one in stock.

As I mentioned. I have a setup that really suits me... but I am a tinkering kind of guy.
    There's No Code.
    a KT-45 would be nice. I wish local shop had one in stock.

As I mentioned. I have a setup that really suits me... but I am a tinkering kind of guy.

yeah, so if you are going to tinker, tinker with what you like. The Maz has too many knobs. The tone stack is fender style that you may or may not like, some people talk of modding that amp with a marshall style stack (more mids obviously) and they like it more An EL-34 KT-66 amp with 2 knobs is right up your alley.

If you are going tele, 6L6's.

The MAZ is a fantastic amp, I just think you'd appreciate simplicity more with more.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Actually,

It really comes down to me wanting something different.

I really like EL-84 amps. I loved my AC-15, I love the Ghia. I just want to try something different.

I could also trade my electric setup for a nice acoustic and a less expensive amp... I would still have my tele.

If I could find a used KT-45... I think that would be a good amp for me.
    There's No Code.
    Actually,

It really comes down to me wanting something different.

I really like EL-84 amps. I loved my AC-15, I love the Ghia. I just want to try something different.

I could also trade my electric setup for a nice acoustic and a less expensive amp... I would still have my tele.

If I could find a used KT-45... I think that would be a good amp for me.

Perscription.
    I have tried one of those too... they are a nice amp for sure.

Also, not in stock locally.
    There's No Code.
    I could likely get a Dr. Z Route 66 head for my Carmen Ghia head and Z 212. I could use my old Fender 212 with the Route 66... I would likely want a Z 212 again at some point.

Also, I could get the Route 66 for my SG and my Ghia...

leaving me with my tele, route 66 and Z best 212...

not a bad setup.

Options, but a Route 66 is expensive.
    There's No Code.
    Talked with a few people... I have a new candidate.

Carr Hammerhead.

The description from the guy at my shop and an amp "guru" who knows my style pretty well... both feel like it would be a great step up from the Ghia.

Increased power and versatility... a lot of the same character as the Ghia... simple signal path, touch responsive, and dynamic.

I hope to try one out this weekend. They have a 212 model at the local shop.

It looks pretty sharp... good sound clips too:

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN0092.JPG

http://www.carramps.com
    There's No Code.
    Talked with a few people... I have a new candidate.

Carr Hammerhead.

The description from the guy at my shop and an amp "guru" who knows my style pretty well... both feel like it would be a great step up from the Ghia.

Increased power and versatility... a lot of the same character as the Ghia... simple signal path, touch responsive, and dynamic.

I hope to try one out this weekend. They have a 212 model at the local shop.

It looks pretty sharp... good sound clips too:

http://www.eddiesguitars.com/DSCN0092.JPG

http://www.carramps.com

Jason Barker did an excellent review of that amp on the Steelbender spotlight. I'll post the link in a sec.

http://www.steelbender.com/gear.html
    here's some great other links too.

http://www.steelbender.com/gear.html
    That's a good site...

So, the problem is these are pricey amps.

I am not sure exactly what kind of a deal I could work out. I think I would likely have to throw in some extra considerations along with the Ghia/Z-best to get one of these.

$$ or gear.

If I traded in a guitar, I would need to also get a less expensive guitar.

The way I see it... the Hammerhead $1600... the Ghia/Z-best ~$1200 in trade value...

That's $400. I would rather not spend that in cash right now.

SG - About $800 in trade value, about $1000 if I sold outright... but then I don't have my SG.

Other ideas?
    There's No Code.
    seriously man, I think you stay with DR. Z. I don't see better bang for the buck for you. Carrs are pricey, and honestly I don't dig the looks, although by all accounts the builder is a good guy.

Personally I think you stick to the ghia with the cab and maybe trade the SG for a Z-28 plus cab. how's that sound. Or, you let me sell my Les Paul Studio and buy your Townsend. :)

you love EL-84's. It's a little crazy to trade the GHIA unless you are needing more power which is the very AC-30 (with no bullshit) like Perscription. see, http://www.midtownmusic.com

perhaps a Mazerati is what you are ultimately after. You could keep the cab and trade the Ghia for the Mazerati. so you're only looking at maybe 200 bucks which you could finance. As good as you are, you and the lead guitarist could do a few acoustic gigs and make some money.
    Hmmm...

Well, I couldn't get a Z-28 in trade for the Townshend, that's for sure.

Z's other than the Ghia are also pretty pricey.

I mean, look at all the "big" heads, the Route 66 and KT-45 are $1500. That's without the cab.

I think there may not be more "bang for the buck," but there might be more bang. The Carr will have more power and a wider range of tones on tap. Plus, it's a 212 combo, so it will move as much air as the Ghia and Z-best... it won't sound the same, but it will still sound BIG.

I agree that keeping the Ghia isn't a bad option. No argument from me on that one.
    There's No Code.
    you love EL-84's. It's a little crazy to trade the GHIA unless you are needing more power which is the very AC-30 (with no bullshit) like Perscription. see, http://www.midtownmusic.com

perhaps a Mazerati is what you are ultimately after. You could keep the cab and trade the Ghia for the Mazerati. so you're only looking at maybe 200 bucks which you could finance. As good as you are, you and the lead guitarist could do a few acoustic gigs and make some money. [/B][/quote]

I have played a mazerati... the different rectifier section makes it too strong to my ear... to forceful... plus it didn't "feel" very good to play... really fast and restricted...

Weird, I know... but it didn't do it for me.

I have thought about an AC-30... but you can't beat the reliability of a boutique amp...
    There's No Code.
    ok, then dude let me throw this out there. WHat about a Deluxe Reverb? The RI is plenty good. I'd say 1965 vibro champ (500) but it may not have enough watts for you.

I bet you could find a Deluxe Reverb RI pretty cheap, you can always upgrade the tubes and maybe swap the speaker to a webber or later on find a z-best cab for it too.

Hell the way you hate knobs maybe a fender princeton would be cool.

I think you need a big bottle tube amp to go with the 84's for a glassy clean tone. 6v6 6L6 KT-66. I'd just try and keep it under $1000

I mean, hell, these things were designed for tele's. It bleeds blues. Hell for that matter you could probably find a killer used super reverb. The tones are there, and you know it sounds good with humbuckers. BB King has been proving that for 40 years.
    A fender amp is tempting... like you said, even a reissue model wouldn't be too bad.

My best bet is to stay put... because you always lose money when you sell something you purchased brand new... at least in a short term like this.

I could definitely get a DRRI for about $500 or so. Some lush reverb and tremolo would be a nice feature...

I suppose I could just look for a tremolo pedal to use with my current setup...

Hell, I don't know... too many things I would LIKE to have...
    If only I had never bought a guitar to begin with... :)
    There's No Code.
    nothing wrong with spicing things up. I just think you like your setup now.

If you do want a trem. http://www.analogman.com. Analog Mike does an excellent mod to the Boss Tremolo

Or if you want the Johnny Greenwood ish vibe. Check out 3MS (4MS) pedals. you'll have to search for them I don't know the website.
    I've never been a big radiohead fan... so, I 'm not too familiar with that vibe.

I do like my setup now... but with this new project... a cover/originals hybrid... I might want a wider range of tones and a bit more power...

the bass player has an SVT... so, he could bury me if he wanted.
    There's No Code.
    I've never been a big radiohead fan... so, I 'm not too familiar with that vibe.

I do like my setup now... but with this new project... a cover/originals hybrid... I might want a wider range of tones and a bit more power...

the bass player has an SVT... so, he could bury me if he wanted.

well, mic to the PA! :)

Regardless, you should find a clean boost or Fat Boost. That'd give you the volume you need to cut through and I think you'll be pleasently suprized what character it adds to the amp.

http://www.zvex.com check out the super duper 2 in 1. Then again there are a billion clean boosters out there. You could always get a wah.
    deluxe reverb with a launch pad in front is absofuckinglute heaven.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    deluxe reverb with a launch pad in front is absofuckinglute heaven.

Ah the launch pad, another good one.

PS I tried my Rat infront of the solid state Ultimate Chorus last night. Fizzy broken sounding fuzz. weird. Not even close to what I get out of the Orange.
    any and all distortions sound horrible in front of clean amps.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    any and all distortions sound horrible in front of clean amps.

Nay it sounded bad infront of the distorted side as well.
    I have tried a clean boost in front of the Ghia... it gets overloaded very easily... that's the point of the design... it didn't give much more perceived volume...

It just made the amp overdrive a bit.
    There's No Code.
    i guess diodes don't like being pushed either.

unless tubes are being whipped like rented mules, nothing will sound good. :D