Wah wah's

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Good luck.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    for the curious, my bastardized vox.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/vox.jpg

volume control, sweep toggle (acts like a bass response almost) and voice control (controls presence of wah)

true bypass, LED and DC adapter added as well.

still need to do gain/bass response.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    for the curious, my bastardized vox.

http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar_pics/vox.jpg

volume control, sweep toggle (acts like a bass response almost) and voice control (controls presence of wah)

true bypass, LED and DC adapter added as well.

still need to do gain/bass response.

Beautiful.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    did you install the Dip switches yourself?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    did you install the Dip switches yourself?

that's just the wiring harness connection. No dips in it.
    that's just the wiring harness connection. No dips in it.

Oh Ok. Looked like dips. I was wondering if you could change the voicing. It dosen't look all that complicated really.
    wahs are so simple that you can pretty much tune anything you want.

the voice control i put in goes from 0 to 100K ohms. 0 is no wah, 100K is what the vox mccoy have i think.
    Maybe I should just get a vox cheap and mod it myself.
    i'll try to do clips at some point soon. unfortunately, i'm not great with wah.

all the information to mod these things is public domain now and it's so easy.

under $80 and the pride of doing it myself is better than giving keeley or fuller a wad of cash.

the only thing that would be costly to do is the inductor and pot swaps. i haven't done that yet.
    i'll try to do clips at some point soon. unfortunately, i'm not great with wah.

all the information to mod these things is public domain now and it's so easy.

under $80 and the pride of doing it myself is better than giving keeley or fuller a wad of cash.

the only thing that would be costly to do is the inductor and pot swaps. i haven't done that yet.

Ah. The inductor and Pot are the main things I want to get right. That and a way to roll out the harshness at the top. Compressor works nicely when it works.
    killing the harshness is a matter of switching that capacitor that i've got toggled. the high value cap is much less harsh than stock.
    killing the harshness is a matter of switching that capacitor that i've got toggled. the high value cap is much less harsh than stock.

hmm. THink I could do it in the morley?

I'd just have to find that cap. The morley is a lot more complicated. I'll post pictures. It uses Opto circuitry instead of a pot.
    i have no idea about the morley.
    i have no idea about the morley.

Aparently Bill Wentzloff at morley has a solution that can make the sweep contain more mids.
  • I did it, I ordered a Teese...the Wizard Wah...can't wait to receive it...thanks Pacomc79...
    there is a mistake in what i said about my wah. i made this mistake due to the fact i don't really know what i'm doing.

the capacitors that i have on a toggle actually control the bassiness of the effect. so, in essence, i added a fat switch, not a sweep control.

now, it still has an implicit effect on sweep since everything sounds bassier, but it's not actual direct sweep control.
    there is a mistake in what i said about my wah. i made this mistake due to the fact i don't really know what i'm doing.

the capacitors that i have on a toggle actually control the bassiness of the effect. so, in essence, i added a fat switch, not a sweep control.

now, it still has an implicit effect on sweep since everything sounds bassier, but it's not actual direct sweep control.

at least you made a cool mistake.

Good Choice RyndhamRain. I hope you will be happy.
    all i can say is, oopsy doodle.

it ended up making it cooler anyway b/c it's less shrill. instead of .010 uF, it's .012 or .056. a happy accident. i just have to find a spot to put the sweep control now. i still want to shave a slight bit off the high end.
    so i just added another toggle for the actual sweep control. changed from the stock .01uF cap to either a .012 or a .018. worked really well. the reduced sweep at .018 is really good for darker, clean tones. it's pretty cool.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    How much sweep control does that teese have? I can't decide if I should try to mod my wah or sell it and get another one. I have picks of the inards if anyone needs to seem em
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    teese calibrates his wahs for a pretty wide sweep but i know the RMC1,2,3 have some level of adjustment. i think the wizard doesn't though.

what exactly about the mccoy aren't you happy with?

and sure, if you've got a good shot of the circuit board, post it. i'd like to see how different it is from an 847.
    cool. pretty similar to the new vox. a few extra components it seems.
    cool. pretty similar to the new vox. a few extra components it seems.

the wheels are turning. The vox inductor looks strangely similar to my inductor in the Bad Horsie. I'm wondering if I can change it.
    http://www.morleypedals.com/vai-1.pdf

yup. 500mH inductor. put whatever you want in there.
    the caps all look like good ones but maybe I should find some better ones. Do you realize what this means?

I'll have a project to do I can go buy a soldiering iron now.

Ok. so now I have to decide what inductor and how to install it.

I wonder if it will make it sound less harsh and modern.
    i bet a vintage style inductor would help quite a bit.
    i bet a vintage style inductor would help quite a bit.

I' think on second thought I might ax this idea. The board is the entire inside of the Morley. It's very complicated. I don't want to break the on off by trying to take the board out. I think I'll look for a cheap 847 to try on. I can use both 2 wahs in the signal path.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I' think on second thought I might ax this idea. The board is the entire inside of the Morley. It's very complicated. I don't want to break the on off by trying to take the board out. I think I'll look for a cheap 847 to try on. I can use both 2 wahs in the signal path.

847s are great. it's such a simple circuit and everything's so easy to change.