Wah wah's

mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am happy that i have to decide what my Xmas present will be.It's going to be a wah wah pedal for sure but i don't know which one.I used to have a crybaby(standard version GCB 95) and now i want sth that doesn't suck my tone that much and that is more versatile.What wah wah's do u use?How many wah wah's have you played and what do u think of them?Which one would u suggest that i buy?I have only 2 in my mind and they are:VOX Wah Wah(149 euros) and Crybaby CB-535Q(179 euros)...I like the VOX's looks a bit more but besides that and the 30 euros less i have to pay for it Crybaby is much more popular...I won't have the possibillity to try them out both so i want your help...Hurry hurry hurry....I want it home by new years eve so I'll have to order till tomorrow noon...
"You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Who's Wah sound are you after?

Whatever you say, you're gonna hear the word "Teese" a LOT.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    crybaby 535Q will suck tone as well and there is no way to true bypass it. but it is a very versatile wah. i dumped it though when i learned how to mod my vox.

bypassing a standard crybaby or a vox V847 is easy.

the vox V848 (mccoy) is true bypass in stock form.

i have a heavily modified vox V847. pretty much all the versatility of a 535Q with true bypass. but i did those mods myself.
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    the store that i buy from is http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_index.html It's the cheaper online store that i have found in europe this far.You can check out the wah wah's form there.I didn't find the vox models you refer...Help I need some body Help not just anybody...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    For the money a Cry Baby Classic is a good buy Fasel inductor. Much Smoother than the Original Dunlop Crybaby.

I use a Morley because it's switchless. The Bad Horsie 2 is tuneable.

The Budda Bud-Wah is a good one as is the Vox 848 (clyde McCoy)

The best wahs out there are made by Geoffery Teese hands down. The Real Mccoy series. Keep in mind you are going to pay for them but the RMC 1 and Wizard Wah are around $180 or Euros. The Picture Wah (Clyde McCoy) is $235. Teese has modded wah's for 30 or so years so he knows what he's doing and how to get the best most authentic sound.

Original Clyde Mccoy's will run you around $700 and 846's are around $400 bucks.

I'd go with a teese if you want to spend that much they are the best.

Fulltone also has a good Wah called the Clyde.

If you are technically savvy there are a bunch of mods you can do to a cheaper wah to make it sound awesome a vox for instance.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I like the Vox wahs myself...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    I use 3 different wahs in my set up because no 2 wahs are the same. The only thing I wouldn't use is a dunlop(cry-baby). I can't stand that pedal. I use a bad horsie, though I'm not sure I'd recommend it, kinda hard to get used to at first, plus really agressive on the high end tones. Great for shredding if you like that stuff. My favorite is my old Ibanez wah. It's super clean & sounds nothing close to any other wahs. Good for Chili Peppers type stuff & that classic old Bob Marley sound. I also have the Vox, but almost never use it. It's a bit too noisy for my taste. But it's a good back up or jack of all trades wah. Not really outstading but will be useful if you buy it.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

this is true. I have a bad horsie and I find it harsh in the top end. If I'm not using a compressor. It's almost un useable clean
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    It's all about the original jim dunlop, but that's just my opinion.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Originally posted by WiLL75

"original jim dunlop" is an oxymoron. :D
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    True, there are so many out there.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Originally posted by WiLL75

I think you're thinking of Thomas Organ Works.

Jim Dunlop is basically a predatory company that comes in and buys up good companies learns how to build it cheap package it in the same box as the originals and trade off the good name.
    i will give dunlop credit for their tremolo and rotovibe though. those are pretty cool.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i will give dunlop credit for their tremolo and rotovibe though. those are pretty cool.

yeah. they were fairly innovative and they look cool.
    Many RMC models.RMC-1 RMC-2 RMC-3 ETC.There's an online shop in germany that sells RMC wah wah's....I want that wah wah sound u find in WHY GO soloing...I am sure u can't get it with a crybaby standard wah...It seems that i have to choose between Crybaby classical(144 euros),VOX wah wah(150) and rmc wah's(290 euros for RMC-3)...iI think I'll suscribe a poll in order to decide!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by mogwai
    Many RMC models.RMC-1 RMC-2 RMC-3 ETC.There's an online shop in germany that sells RMC wah wah's....I want that wah wah sound u find in WHY GO soloing...I am sure u can't get it with a crybaby standard wah...It seems that i have to choose between Crybaby classical(144 euros),VOX wah wah(150) and rmc wah's(290 euros for RMC-3)...iI think I'll suscribe a poll in order to decide!!!!!!!!!

How about an RMC-1?
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Originally posted by exhausted

The rotovibe sucks ass, I hate mine. It's a pedal with no sound. I have to overdrive it to even notice it's on. As for a tremelo, my little plastic Ibanez soundtank is as good as the dunlop. The only dulop pedal I like is the Hendrix Octave Fuzz. Dunlop's only quality is that you can drop the pedal on the ground & not worry because they are very well shelled.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

I've cleared up my mind a little bit...I am between RMC2,PICTURE WAH,WIZARD WAH....You can take a look at http://www.realmccoycustom.com/ .What's that classic italian sound that the picture wah has?I am not good both in technical stuff and english comprehension so i can't understand what's this all about sweep range,smooth top end,overall boost etc....Need all your english skills and knowledge here....If u can give some examples about the wah's sound as they are described i would be grateful.I am into that SRV/JH guitar stuff...I play a strat lonestar into a pro junior(only 2 effects are MXR DYNACOMP,TS-9)
    The RMC 1 is the Vox 846 sound with the traditional mods to make it sound like the JH/SRV wahs a more open sound.

The Classic Italian sound is the Vox Clyde McCoy (Picture Wah) which used inductors (Fasel) made in Italy. All this can be found on Geoffery Teeses Site. In fact I believe Vox wahs and early Vox King Wah's were made in Italy as well as Thomas Organ Works Crybaby's the company Jim Dunlop bought.
  • I say stick with what has worked throughout the years. The Original Dunlop Wah. If you know how to use it correctly, it doesn't matter which one you use. Using (Playing) a wah takes as much practice as learning to play the guitar itself, well maybe not quite as much....
    The Original Dunlop Wah...Which one exactly do u mean?
    You mean crybaby classic?
    It does matter which one you use. If the quality of build and ultimate tone you get at the end are important to you.

Dunlop changed the way the Original Crybaby's were constructed using the wrong components in some cases and incorrect values in others. The result is a weaker thinner sound that is harsh in some cases. The reason Teese wahs are so good 1) they are built well made by and expert hand and made to last. 2)Teese has literally worked on every type of analog wah in existance he knows them in and out. E-mail him he'll tell you whatever you need or want to know.

They are built for pros. If you already have experience with a crybaby any Teese Wah is a step up.

The RMC 1 is mainly for the SRV/JH tone. It's open and fairly hot.

The Wizard Wah is designed to work with any combination of Pickups. So you can use it with humbuckers or single coils some wahs don't sound good clean this one does.

The RMC 2 is adjustable on the outside of the case so you can fine tune it.

The RMC 3 is variably adjustable on the inside so you can custom tailor a wah sound you like and keep it that way.

The Picture Wah is a precise copy of an original Vox Clyde McCoy with the big open perfect wah sound that they are known for. The Originals go for $500 plus when you can find one.

It's all personel choice. It depends on how important the Wah is to you and your sound. If you want "the" wah buy a Teese or a Budda, Fulltone Clyde or Vox Clyde McCoy. Try them all out. I think the Crybaby Classic is an outstanding value at $99 but it's not going to be built as well or have the service behind it that a Teese will. There's always the switchless super quiet simplicity of Morley which I currently use but it is overly harsh in the top end nearly unuseable on cleans.

Try out as many as you can and find your own. Your sound and choices will change over the years. I'm currently looking for a change myself.
  • The Original Wah...$79...the one Jimi used, I think...GCB-95 CryBaby

I will admit, I just had to buy another, but I think the first one lasted me about 10 years...not too bad for 79 bucks...
    Originally posted by RyndamRain
    The Original Wah...$79...the one Jimi used, I think...

I will admit, I just had to buy another, but I think the first one lasted me about 10 years...not too bad for 79 bucks...

Jimi Used a Vox Wah a Fuzz Face (modified by Roger Mayer) a Univox Univibe and several Badass Marshall Plexi stack's and most likely also at some point a Thomas Organ Company Cry Baby. all of which effect his tone but then so does his masterful playing ability The Jim Dunlop buy out didn't come until years later. There is nothing wrong with the Jim Dunlop Cry Baby like I said in fact I believe they go for $69 but it isn't going to sound as good or as accurate as the Wah's built by Geoff Teese. It's all personal preference. I find the sweep on the Dunlop to be thin. I like a wider 2 octave sweep. I believe the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wahs have a 2 octave sweep. There is nothing ultimately wrong with buying any of them different wah's have different features, they are certainly not all the same. It's really up to the player as each wah really is a seperate instrument that needs to be learned.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I am not good both in technical stuff and english comprehension so i can't understand what's this all about sweep range,smooth top end,overall boost etc....Need all your english skills and knowledge here....

Not sure if this is explaining it correctly but sweep range is how far it goes from toe up to toe down if that makes any sense. It's the whole range of sound you can get. smooth top end means it doesn't sound harsh and tiny at the top end like some wahs can be.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    I used to have one but I sold it.It was a weak pedal.And it turned my guitars tone into sth plastic I'd say.The sound of it was too fake I mean...I don't intend buying a crybaby soon!!!The only one that seems to be ok is the classic(i can buy this one for 144 euros).The dealer for the picture wah in athens said that the price is 240 euros...mr Teese suggested that i buy the picture wah.I described my gear to him and what i am playing(JH,SRV,PJ,Clapton etc)
    I used to have one but I sold it.It was a weak pedal.And it turned my guitars tone into sth plastic I'd say.The sound of it was too fake I mean...I don't intend buying a crybaby soon!!!The only one that seems to be ok is the classic(i can buy this one for 144 euros).The dealer for the picture wah in athens said that the price is 240 euros...mr Teese suggested that i buy the picture wah.I described my gear to him and what i am playing(JH,SRV,PJ,Clapton etc)

you can always check the used on Ebay.

Exhausted modded his own Vox to his own specs. it just takes a little skill with a soldiering iron.
  • i may have to check out the Teese...sounds like quite a wah - just looked at their page...i might not know what i am missing...i think i might order one right now...

The Wizard Wah...
    I should report this thing going on here to mr Teese in order to get a better price from him