Options

McCready confirms work on new record with O'Brien

13»

Comments

• Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    "... now we got our producer brendan directing things and we don't have to think too much"

o'brien just finished a new AC/DC record.

this one is going to be fucking AWESOME!!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    LongRd. wrote:
    Awesome...Brendan and PJ in the 90's were at their BEST!!! Just imagine if Brendan had produced Ten...might even sounded much greater!

I'll only say this: BO'B remixes off Rearviewmirror.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    wow, what horrible interviews these guys must have to go through...Hey PJ please do Stern on Sirius and grant us a proper interview....
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    This is very, very exciting news considering I'm really not a massive fan of Avocado. It's 'meh'.. I don't hate it but this new album could potentially rival their best work. The production was where Avocado was mostly let down.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
    This is very, very exciting news considering I'm really not a massive fan of Avocado. It's 'meh'.. I don't hate it but this new album could potentially rival their best work. The production was where Avocado was mostly let down.

i totally agree... but isn't [this new album could potentially rival their best work] what's always expected of a new album...? we all thought Avocado was going to be their best in years (though - personally - i love RA) but you and i were not the only ones who were let down by that one...
    the production of Avocado is definitely the worst thing about it.. it sounds almost as slick as Ten.
    i really hope that with Brendan back, the new album will have a more "dirty", grooving sound to it, rather than just straight forward - almost mainstream - rock.
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
    i totally agree... but isn't [this new album could potentially rival their best work] what's always expected of a new album...? we all thought Avocado was going to be their best in years (though - personally - i love RA) but you and i were not the only ones who were let down by that one...
    the production of Avocado is definitely the worst thing about it.. it sounds almost as slick as Ten.
    i really hope that with Brendan back, the new album will have a more "dirty", grooving sound to it, rather than just straight forward - almost mainstream - rock.

The reason i think this could rival their best work is because Avocado could've done, had they used a different producer. The songs of Avocado are good, but the production is so pedestrian that it ruins them.. imo. With Brendan OBrien, they'll sound like Pearl Jam again.. again, imo.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I know this has been rumored for a while - and maybe I have missed other threads where this has already been confirmed - but I thought this was terrific to hear from Mike McCready himself that Pearl Jam is currently working on a new record with the one and only music producer of their past, Brendan O'Brien!!

Check out the audio here: http://kisw.radiotown.com/interviews/04-08/mikemccready.asx

this is absolutely fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    Ricsard wrote:
    They did play GONE in Atlantic City right after the Canadian tour. A pretty simple but still magnificient version of that!

True. But I remember there was an interview with Jeff right after that performance where he said that Ed literally wrote "Gone" the night before in his hotel room, that the band had no idea. The band liked the song afterwards, and chose to develop it for the album.

Personally I think Gone was more an example of Ed being spontaneous, as opposed to an "in-progress", or "in-the-can" album preview.

Still, the band has played songs before release in the past. Brain of J, Habit, Whipping, Nothing as it Seems, + more have had their debut live before the albums.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i cant wait to hear a few new songs at MSG
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    corduroy10 wrote:
    True. But I remember there was an interview with Jeff right after that performance where he said that Ed literally wrote "Gone" the night before in his hotel room, that the band had no idea. The band liked the song afterwards, and chose to develop it for the album.

Personally I think Gone was more an example of Ed being spontaneous, as opposed to an "in-progress", or "in-the-can" album preview.

Still, the band has played songs before release in the past. Brain of J, Habit, Whipping, Nothing as it Seems, + more have had their debut live before the albums.
    And Comatose! They played it for us at the NW School benefit show and they called it something else though.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    It's nice to see Brandon O' Brien back in the mix....but the album will only be as good as the songs they write.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Wow, it's cool to see that nobody has had an issue with Brendan doing this one. I thought no disagreements were pretty unheard of in these lands.

Nice Nice Nice

In that case, Brendan o Brien sucks. ;)
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    In that case, Brendan o Brien sucks. ;)

Not that I don't like O'Brien, becuase I think he really brings out the best in Pearl Jam, and Yield in particular sounds fantastic, but have you heard his recent work with Bruce Springsteen? It's a bit crap!
  • Options
    395486pj10395486pj10 Posts: 95
    It's great that it's been officially confirmed. Honestly, I wasn't sure that they were working on a new album. But I can't wait for the new collaboration! Awesome!
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    there´s no need to say nothing but.............FUCK YES!!!
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Release this summer? Is that too soon...?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    HushBull wrote:
    Release this summer? Is that too soon...?

um....yes
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    um....yes

Dreamcrusher!
  • Options
    HushBull wrote:
    Dreamcrusher!

my bad, I thought you were being serious

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    my bad, I thought you were being serious

I'm only serious with my dick in hands.
  • Options
    HushBull wrote:
    I'm only serious with my dick in hands.

that's what I figured

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    does every idiot radio show have to have a guy in the background chuckling irritatingly at every stupid word?
    At least it is national.
    Thanks for the link to the audio.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    does every idiot radio show have to have a guy in the background chuckling irritatingly at every stupid word?
    At least it is national.
    Thanks for the link to the audio.

I think it's a prerequisite for most morning talk shows on FM.

It's pathetic, really.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Hmm.... I still don't like the way the last Springsteen record sounded... but Brendan and PJ on Vs., Vitalogy, or No Code = pure goodness.

Could be good news, especially nice to hear they are going back to the studio so soon, I figured we were in for a long break this time.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    Well I wasn't expecting anything before next year, but if things are underway and have been for a bit, we may get it this fall. And that would be fine with me,...they can wait until 09 for any tour...or maybe they just go out every few months and do ten or twelve shows in 09 and '10...I think we'll see a change in the touring method , and that is fine with me.

As for the record...I actually love the Sound of Springsteens last disc...very direct and in your face, with enough production to not sound like a live recording. And they did a very romantic take on Springsteens vocals on a few tunes that were pretty epic..."Girls In their Summer Clothes"

Regardless. "Yield" is one of my favorite discs from PJ and hearing they're back with O'brien is welcome news...And yeah. Artist are always stoked about whatever they happen to be workin on. I don't think it's all PR, it's just a natural reaction to the newest creation they've made...

I dig every PJ record, and another one is always welcome...This is great news to have confirmed...Cause regardless of how it turns out...PJ is still rollin, and we get a new disc, more shows, and everything else that goes with it, and that is always good to know.
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I think it's a prerequisite for most morning talk shows on FM.

It's pathetic, really.

All except for The Bob Rivers Show - the best morning local radio show in Seattle.
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    who the fuck is the idiot with the annoying laugh?
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    who the fuck is the idiot with the annoying laugh?
    Someone that should have their mouth duct taped shut.