United States port workers strike

13»

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    I bet you wave a flag when you poop
    You shit on america with each wipe of your imported inferior sandpaper.
    yeah well at least my ejector pump doesn't flood my basement with my anti american feces
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,796
    Went to Costco today and YES, they were sold out of TP & Paper Towels.

Talked to a Manager and she told me people were lined up yesterday morning before they opened. They usually have about 1,500 customers on that day(Wed.s) and they had well over 4,000. People panicking/hoarding. Sold out of TP & Paper Towels by 2:30.

And, the Manager told me that TP is made right here in NJ=LOL

I was due for my usual shopping at this time, so the timing of this sucks. Oh well.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    I bet you wave a flag when you poop
    You shit on america with each wipe of your imported inferior sandpaper.
    yeah well at least my ejector pump doesn't flood my basement with my anti american feces
    Hahahaha! ok, I'll stop participating in the derailment of the thread now.  Good times.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,744
    Strike suspended until January 15 to allow for negotiations.

Folks who bought 6,969 rolls of toilet paper (that doesn't come in on these freighters" yesterday must fell doubly stupid now.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Democrats breathing a sigh of relief. Apparently they get a 62.5% raise. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,023
    Poncier said:

Folks who bought 6,969 rolls of toilet paper (that doesn't come in on these freighters" yesterday must fell doubly stupid now.
    They'll just come return it at Costco. I really wish my managers had the balls to refuse returns on panic buying idiocy
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    teskeinc said:
    Democrats breathing a sigh of relief. Apparently they get a 62.5% raise. 
    Thank God.
    I'm sure those poor workers were barely able to make ends meet. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 736
    cutz said:
    Went to Costco today and YES, they were sold out of TP & Paper Towels.

Talked to a Manager and she told me people were lined up yesterday morning before they opened. They usually have about 1,500 customers on that day(Wed.s) and they had well over 4,000. People panicking/hoarding. Sold out of TP & Paper Towels by 2:30.

And, the Manager told me that TP is made right here in NJ=LOL

I was due for my usual shopping at this time, so the timing of this sucks. Oh well.
    Why doesn't this surprise me AT ALL about a costco? My local costco must be different than some of y'alls. Predominantly boomers who believe everything they read on FB, that slow walk the aisles and stop at every sample station. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    hannity is upset about the strike ending.

why would that be?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 736
    edited October 4
    hannity is upset about the strike ending.

why would that be?

Post edited by njhaley1 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    Poncier said:

I believe most TP is American-made.  I don't understand why that's the go-to panic product...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    OnWis97 said:
    Poncier said:

I believe most TP is American-made.  I don't understand why that's the go-to panic product...
    Because in most panic situations people run to the store and purchase, milk, eggs and bread. So once everyone is finished with their French toast, they will need toilet paper. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    I need to go to Costco...hoping Scott's one ply is in stock

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    Poncier said:
    Get to work
    From what I've read the last couple days.
    Top wage is basically $39 an hour, and they want the new contract to add $5 an hour, each year, for 6 years. Bringing their wages to $69 an hour. 
    I've read that as of now with their overtime, many of them are making $150k a year. 

I’m a life long union guy, but the demands for 70% over six and no automation are absurd. 

Also the union president, Harold Daggett, his rhetoric of “… going to cripple the people of this country until everyone knows who the longshoremen are” can fuck right off.

The guy is one of those old, mafia stooges. Tried twice by DOJ under RICO. Walked in one of the case s cause the main witness didn’t testify since he was decomposing in the trunk of a car. A real piece of trash.
    Definitely an outrageous ask. 
    They supposedly turned down a nearly 50% wage increase. I'm generally on the side of labor in most of these situations, but this one needs a Ronnie Ray-gun to the air traffic controllers type response.
    I like to see the Unions ask for something.  It helps all the labor forces across the US. They offered 50% increase without a blink of an eye.  How much more could they afford to give up?

Ronny Raygun was within his right to fire the ATC.  It was risky though.  If planes started crashing because of his decision to use "almost" trained ATC's then there would have been no 2nd term and perhaps an impeachment.  Ballsy move that panned out and put a setback on Unions for the next decade or so and most likely why Walmart and Amazon were never unionized for years.  They wrote books on how to handle Unions.

So I am for what the Longshoremen are doing.  I will install a bidet so I don't have to worry about toilet paper for a while.
    Toilet paper is mostly a NA business...you don't have to worry about toilet paper coming in from overseas really.

I am not pro very many unions or their decisions.  And this one lost me 100% when they demanded no automation... just a stupid, unrealistic demand that shows them to be unserious people.
    We import 3.1bil in TP so I'd check that but in the meantime I'll still get the Bidet...

I forgot to mention the AI thing.  That is absurd. Jerparker said what Andrew Yang has been saying about trucking, get training for a new job.
    That is what they should be also looking for.

Something else I thought about in reading the against posts here, reminds me of the mining jobs in places like West Virginia or the Auto Worker jobs in Detroit.  These people lost their jobs and never recovered.  There was no contingency plan.

I'm for the Unions getting more but there needs to be a plan B and not go running off a cliff like a lemming.

Thanks you two for that insight.
    All the good toilet paper is made in the USA is what I really meant...was focused on the good brand with high quality...not that stuff you find in public restrooms ;)
    I'm all about the Scott one-ply from Costco. We have an ejector pit in our house so nothing can be flushed except human waste and cheap toilet paper. First world probs
    They make these hotrod ejector pumps with a grinder in them.  You can pretty much throw a cucumber down there and it will tear it up.  So any opioid supper logs will be no problemo.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,762
    I need to go to Costco...hoping Scott's one ply is in stock
    I was at Costco yesterday, but didn't realize the dire nature of the TP supply in this country. I should have bought 10 cases. 
    Poncier said:
    Get to work
    From what I've read the last couple days.
    Top wage is basically $39 an hour, and they want the new contract to add $5 an hour, each year, for 6 years. Bringing their wages to $69 an hour. 
    I've read that as of now with their overtime, many of them are making $150k a year. 

I’m a life long union guy, but the demands for 70% over six and no automation are absurd. 

Also the union president, Harold Daggett, his rhetoric of “… going to cripple the people of this country until everyone knows who the longshoremen are” can fuck right off.

The guy is one of those old, mafia stooges. Tried twice by DOJ under RICO. Walked in one of the case s cause the main witness didn’t testify since he was decomposing in the trunk of a car. A real piece of trash.
    Definitely an outrageous ask. 
    They supposedly turned down a nearly 50% wage increase. I'm generally on the side of labor in most of these situations, but this one needs a Ronnie Ray-gun to the air traffic controllers type response.
    I like to see the Unions ask for something.  It helps all the labor forces across the US. They offered 50% increase without a blink of an eye.  How much more could they afford to give up?

Ronny Raygun was within his right to fire the ATC.  It was risky though.  If planes started crashing because of his decision to use "almost" trained ATC's then there would have been no 2nd term and perhaps an impeachment.  Ballsy move that panned out and put a setback on Unions for the next decade or so and most likely why Walmart and Amazon were never unionized for years.  They wrote books on how to handle Unions.

So I am for what the Longshoremen are doing.  I will install a bidet so I don't have to worry about toilet paper for a while.
    Toilet paper is mostly a NA business...you don't have to worry about toilet paper coming in from overseas really.

I am not pro very many unions or their decisions.  And this one lost me 100% when they demanded no automation... just a stupid, unrealistic demand that shows them to be unserious people.
    We import 3.1bil in TP so I'd check that but in the meantime I'll still get the Bidet...

I forgot to mention the AI thing.  That is absurd. Jerparker said what Andrew Yang has been saying about trucking, get training for a new job.
    That is what they should be also looking for.

Something else I thought about in reading the against posts here, reminds me of the mining jobs in places like West Virginia or the Auto Worker jobs in Detroit.  These people lost their jobs and never recovered.  There was no contingency plan.

I'm for the Unions getting more but there needs to be a plan B and not go running off a cliff like a lemming.

Thanks you two for that insight.
    All the good toilet paper is made in the USA is what I really meant...was focused on the good brand with high quality...not that stuff you find in public restrooms ;)
    I'm all about the Scott one-ply from Costco. We have an ejector pit in our house so nothing can be flushed except human waste and cheap toilet paper. First world probs
    They make these hotrod ejector pumps with a grinder in them.  You can pretty much throw a cucumber down there and it will tear it up.  So any opioid supper logs will be no problemo.
    yeah we have a grinder....just not going to test it with that elitist double or triple ply

I also have three daughters and a wife. No tampons, etc., can go down that thing. We have little signs on all the toilets for when friends/family come over.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    https://www.threads.net/@dadof4as/post/DAtX4b_JlSb/?xmt=AQGzhKSj_EJEUc1IEGs_Oeaa-32cUbbHCn2VjXwwTuwcFg
    Pete to the rescue! I know this country is not ready for a gay man for VP but I wish Kamala would have picked him ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....