United States port workers strike

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    edited October 2
    I've been curious about the timing of this strike...

No way Trump likes unions.  I don't care that they took a pic together.  It's like a pic of him and Diddy or the Queen of England.  You can draw a conclusion but it's most likely wrong.

Here in NY there are companies that would NEVER work for Trump because he was known for screwing them over, ours being one of them.

Trump would rather fire all of the Longshoremen than negotiate.
    There is no way Trump likes most of the people who vote for him....yet they adore him anyway. He was horrible towards unions when he was president, yet the teamsters won't endorse Kamala because a lot of their members like him. It does not make any sense. Never has. I think they buy into the fake tough guy charade. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,744
    What do you all think about demands for no automation? 
    one of those crazy demands like "remove the letter Q from the English language"
    "And do it quite quickly"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,744
    Get to work
    From what I've read the last couple days.
    Top wage is basically $39 an hour, and they want the new contract to add $5 an hour, each year, for 6 years. Bringing their wages to $69 an hour. 
    I've read that as of now with their overtime, many of them are making $150k a year. 

I’m a life long union guy, but the demands for 70% over six and no automation are absurd. 

Also the union president, Harold Daggett, his rhetoric of “… going to cripple the people of this country until everyone knows who the longshoremen are” can fuck right off.

The guy is one of those old, mafia stooges. Tried twice by DOJ under RICO. Walked in one of the case s cause the main witness didn’t testify since he was decomposing in the trunk of a car. A real piece of trash.
    Definitely an outrageous ask. 
    They supposedly turned down a nearly 50% wage increase. I'm generally on the side of labor in most of these situations, but this one needs a Ronnie Ray-gun to the air traffic controllers type response.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    I've been curious about the timing of this strike...

No way Trump likes unions.  I don't care that they took a pic together.  It's like a pic of him and Diddy or the Queen of England.  You can draw a conclusion but it's most likely wrong.

Here in NY there are companies that would NEVER work for Trump because he was known for screwing them over, ours being one of them.

Trump would rather fire all of the Longshoremen than negotiate.
    There is no way Trump likes most of the people who vote for him....yet they adore him anyway. He was horrible towards unions when he was president, yet the teamsters won't endorse Kamala because a lot of their members like him. It does not make any sense. Never has. I think they buy into the fake tough guy charade. 
    Well said. 

Trump *likes* people who serve his interests / bottom line... it's pretty uncomplicated. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,997
    Poncier said:
    What do you all think about demands for no automation? 
    one of those crazy demands like "remove the letter Q from the English language"
    "And do it quite quickly"
    Kwickly
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    Poncier said:
    Get to work
    Top wage is basically $39 an hour, and they want the new contract to add $5 an hour, each year, for 6 years. Bringing their wages to $69 an hour. 
    I've read that as of now with their overtime, many of them are making $150k a year. 

I’m a life long union guy, but the demands for 70% over six and no automation are absurd. 

Also the union president, Harold Daggett, his rhetoric of “… going to cripple the people of this country until everyone knows who the longshoremen are” can fuck right off.

The guy is one of those old, mafia stooges. Tried twice by DOJ under RICO. Walked in one of the case s cause the main witness didn’t testify since he was decomposing in the trunk of a car. A real piece of trash.
    They supposedly turned down a nearly 50% wage increase. I'm generally on the side of labor in most of these situations, but this one needs a Ronnie Ray-gun to the air traffic controllers type response.
    I like to see the Unions ask for something.  It helps all the labor forces across the US. They offered 50% increase without a blink of an eye.  How much more could they afford to give up?

Ronny Raygun was within his right to fire the ATC.  It was risky though.  If planes started crashing because of his decision to use "almost" trained ATC's then there would have been no 2nd term and perhaps an impeachment.  Ballsy move that panned out and put a setback on Unions for the next decade or so and most likely why Walmart and Amazon were never unionized for years.  They wrote books on how to handle Unions.

So I am for what the Longshoremen are doing.  I will install a bidet so I don't have to worry about toilet paper for a while.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

I like to see the Unions ask for something.  It helps all the labor forces across the US. They offered 50% increase without a blink of an eye.  How much more could they afford to give up?

Ronny Raygun was within his right to fire the ATC.  It was risky though.  If planes started crashing because of his decision to use "almost" trained ATC's then there would have been no 2nd term and perhaps an impeachment.  Ballsy move that panned out and put a setback on Unions for the next decade or so and most likely why Walmart and Amazon were never unionized for years.  They wrote books on how to handle Unions.

So I am for what the Longshoremen are doing.  I will install a bidet so I don't have to worry about toilet paper for a while.
    Toilet paper is mostly a NA business...you don't have to worry about toilet paper coming in from overseas really.

I am not pro very many unions or their decisions.  And this one lost me 100% when they demanded no automation... just a stupid, unrealistic demand that shows them to be unserious people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,467
    edited October 2
    I’m all about folks getting paid what they can. Hell, I voted no on my last union contract which offered a 10% increase over two years when we originally were shooting for 20% (the contract was ratified with 85% of members voting yes).

The whole no automation thing is what gets me. I get it, folks will lose their jobs, but you can’t stop progress. As a knowledge worker, I’m very aware that aspects of my job will easily be replaced by AI in the next few years. It is what it is. 

What they should be doing is negotiating for training/skill upgrades for their members. All these robots need maintenance and repairs, they still need to have someone keeping an eye on things. But they won’t, since that’ll make sense and it’s an admission that maybe those folks don’t have great skill sets.

The Painters union recently dumped 10s of millions of dollars into a company who is manufacturing “painting robots.” They didn’t whine about losing their jobs, they decided to get out in front of what is coming to ensure their members keep working. 
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

Toilet paper is mostly a NA business...you don't have to worry about toilet paper coming in from overseas really.

I am not pro very many unions or their decisions.  And this one lost me 100% when they demanded no automation... just a stupid, unrealistic demand that shows them to be unserious people.
    We import 3.1bil in TP so I'd check that but in the meantime I'll still get the Bidet...

I forgot to mention the AI thing.  That is absurd. Jerparker said what Andrew Yang has been saying about trucking, get training for a new job.
    That is what they should be also looking for.

Something else I thought about in reading the against posts here, reminds me of the mining jobs in places like West Virginia or the Auto Worker jobs in Detroit.  These people lost their jobs and never recovered.  There was no contingency plan.

I'm for the Unions getting more but there needs to be a plan B and not go running off a cliff like a lemming.

Thanks you two for that insight.
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

We import 3.1bil in TP so I'd check that but in the meantime I'll still get the Bidet...

I forgot to mention the AI thing.  That is absurd. Jerparker said what Andrew Yang has been saying about trucking, get training for a new job.

Something else I thought about in reading the against posts here, reminds me of the mining jobs in places like West Virginia or the Auto Worker jobs in Detroit.  These people lost their jobs and never recovered.  There was no contingency plan.

I'm for the Unions getting more but there needs to be a plan B and not go running off a cliff like a lemming.

All the good toilet paper is made in the USA is what I really meant...was focused on the good brand with high quality...not that stuff you find in public restrooms ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

All the good toilet paper is made in the USA is what I really meant...was focused on the good brand with high quality...not that stuff you find in public restrooms ;)
    lol I cant stand charmin.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

I'm all about the Scott one-ply from Costco. We have an ejector pit in our house so nothing can be flushed except human waste and cheap toilet paper. First world probs
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,467
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

The John Wayne TP. Rough, tough, and don’t take any shit.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

I'm all about the Scott one-ply from Costco. We have an ejector pit in our house so nothing can be flushed except human waste and cheap toilet paper. First world probs
    My ex-brother in law, who was nothing but a piece of shit, who I would have liked to use as toilet paper.......
    Once said to me....

When grocery shopping, NEVER go cheap when it comes to buying toilet paper. 

Probably the only smart words to come out of that assholes mouth. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

I …. I… I better not say what I’m thinking or I’ll be banned!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    edited October 3
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    i come from a union family. i support unions. but some of this is ridiculous. who gets 50% pay increase over 5 years? the only people i know that do that are commissioned sales people that blow it out of the water every year, year over year.

i had one bad experience with union workers a few years ago. i was working in a surgeon's office and we ordered new plinths for the exam rooms. one day while the doc was out of the office 3 guys came and delivered them. i was told to open one and make sure they were the correct tables, otherwise box them up and have returned to the shipper. anyway, i opened one of them and took it out of the huge shipping box. it was about 6 feet long and 3 feet tall. it ended up being the wrong type of table. i tried to box it up and asked one of the three guys standing there if they could put their hand on one of the box flaps so i can tape it up. i was told "we are movers, not packers. you will have to call the packers for that." it's like, dude, all i need you to do is set your one hand on top of this box flap. nothing more. not even your full body weight. just a hand on the flap to hold it down. after that i was like fuck those guys. it ended up taking 2 days for the packers to get there to finish packing up the table.

it's like, they dropped the shit off, why did they not leave? they just stood there as i opened and then tried to box up the table. must have been taking one of their 11 breaks or something.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

2 ply can go fuck itself. Sorry to all the people with the weak anus’. 
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 493
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

They will get a big raise when Trump wins with no tax on overtime.
    That’s what he promised them when their union president visited Marlago! 🍊 piece of 💩 started with torpedoing the border bill and now he wants to reek havoc by getting these idiots to strike at this very convenient time right before election! It’s all about cheating he doesn’t know any other way to win 
    I'm not an idiot. 
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 493
    ILA all the way!!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    edited October 3
    Mikemzl91 said:
    ILA all the way!!

seen reporting saying membership didnt vote to strike, that union president did.

real story? contract expired without a deal, so work stoppage?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709

www.myspace.com
    So I heard Pete talking about this today.  He was saying that when the average income went up 41% during the last 2 years (which I did not verify, but seems crazy high...maybe he meant or said inflation and I mixed it up?) that these individuals income only went up 15%.  Well no duh...that is 1 of the issues with unions, you lock in a contract at a rate.  Still no mention that 60-70% is still larger than that $.  No discussion on the automation portion (which makes sense cause it is so braindead that there is no way to defend it).

So - I can see wanting an increase that seems above the norm due to being locked in on a previous contract (but you did negotiate it and vote for it...and that is what you get with a union).  I am still not certain how the 50% raise that was offered isn't meeting that standard though.

Pete was trying to being the record profits of the shipping companies into it and bringing up that 1 person in 1 company's new worth went up $14 billion...of course that was all due to stock prices and is until sold unrealized.

There is serious risk to the economy here...and I do not like the rhetoric from the Biden admin.  Hopefully the management comes back with a roughly ~60% raise and no guarantee on automation but some sort of guarantee on $ for training to work with automation.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

My ex-brother in law, who was nothing but a piece of shit, who I would have liked to use as toilet paper.......
    Once said to me....

but one ply gives you many options...you can basically make it two ply or three ply (or 4...5?) by simply winding more off the roll.

LOVE my one ply

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

Once said to me....

but one ply gives you many options...you can basically make it two ply or three ply (or 4...5?) by simply winding more off the roll.

LOVE my one ply

Definitely the way to go if you like having to wash shit off your hands.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Poncier said:
    Get to work

Once said to me....

LOVE my one ply

You need to see a doctor if you are having that issue. That's never happened to me. Maybe adjust your diet?

Poncier said:
    Get to work

Once said to me....

LOVE my one ply

You need to see a doctor if you are having that issue. That's never happened to me. Maybe adjust your diet?
    Never happened to me either as I use real american toilet paper...made by americans in america from responsibly forested NA trees.
    hippiemom = goodness
    I bet you wave a flag when you poop

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    😂😂😂
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I bet you wave a flag when you poop
    You shit on america with each wipe of your imported inferior sandpaper.
    hippiemom = goodness