United States port workers strike

Let's hear some opinions. 

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Get to work
    hippiemom = goodness
    But, really...

I read they want a ban on all automation???? WTH??? That should be a non starter.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    Get to work
    From what I've read the last couple days.
    Top wage is basically $39 an hour, and they want the new contract to add $5 an hour, each year, for 6 years. Bringing their wages to $69 an hour. 
    I've read that as of now with their overtime, many of them are making $150k a year. 

I wonder what the retention rate was for employees…I mean, why would you raise wages so much if you aren’t losing employees?

I also read they were offered roughly 50% pay increase vs the 60%+.

ultimately this is about automation though and they are trying to raise wages to make automation less attractive 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    Get to work
    Top wage is basically $39 an hour, and they want the new contract to add $5 an hour, each year, for 6 years. Bringing their wages to $69 an hour. 
    I've read that as of now with their overtime, many of them are making $150k a year. 

They will get a big raise when Trump wins with no tax on overtime.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

That’s what he promised them when their union president visited Marlago! 🍊 piece of 💩 started with torpedoing the border bill and now he wants to reek havoc by getting these idiots to strike at this very convenient time right before election! It’s all about cheating he doesn’t know any other way to win 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

lol...there will be no overtime with Project 25...and there's a nice new clip of trump bragging on how he never paid overtime...classy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

my man gets duped left and right

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-proudly-brags-got-paying-160333816.html

Watch: Trump Proudly Brags About How He Got Out of Paying Workers

Hafiz Rashid
    Mon, September 30, 2024 at 12:03 PM EDT
    2 min read

At an Erie, Pennsylvania, rally Sunday, Donald Trump let slip how he really feels about workers, telling his crowd of well-wishers how much he hated paying overtime at his companies.

“I know a lot about overtime. I hated to give overtime, I hated it. I’d get other people—I shouldn’t say this, but I’d get other people in. I wouldn’t pay,” Trump said, basically admitting to wage theft and hiring scabs.

Kamala Harris’s campaign immediately attacked Trump’s statement, with a spokesperson telling The Daily Beast that “Donald Trump is finally owning up to it: He’s built an entire career on screwing over workers. It’s exactly what he did in the White House—trying to rip away tips and overtime pay for millions of workers–and exactly what he plans to do in a second term.”

Indeed, Trump’s statement exposes the truth behind the GOP effort to woo working-class voters. The former president’s running mate, J.D. Vance, along with fellow Senator Marco Rubio and others, have long made token statements supporting workers and unions. But, as with Trump, it doesn’t take much to reveal these statements as hollow.

Conservatives actively work against unions and organizing, voting against pro-labor bills in Congress, with Republican-led states seeking to undermine organized labor with so-called “right-to-work” bills. Teamsters President Sean O’Brien caused a stir by speaking at the Republican National Convention over the summer, only for his speech to be met with crickets from the audience when he criticized corporations and championed union rights. 

The Trump campaign, along with Republicans in recent years, has made inroads with working-class voters, even polling well with them. But as The New Republic’s Timothy Noah points out, every time the Republican Party regains control of the House of Representatives, it changes the Education and Labor Committee’s name to the “Education and the Workforce” Committee, going out of its way to dissociate itself from organized labor.

Republicans, including the ones who feign support for workers like Vance and Rubio, also oppose the Protecting the Right to Organize Act, which would ease restrictions on forming a union, strengthen protections for labor unions, and eliminate right-to-work laws. Trump was anti-union long before his Saturday speech, going back to before his time as president. Democrats and those who support workers’ rights need to sound the alarm to prevent Trump and the GOP from making the lives of working people much, much worse.

www.myspace.com
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

That’s what he promised them when their union president visited Marlago! 🍊 piece of 💩 started with torpedoing the border bill and now he wants to reek havoc by getting these idiots to strike at this very convenient time right before election! It’s all about cheating he doesn’t know any other way to win 
    At what point do you stop blaming Trump for everything? 5, 10, 20 years?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,634
    teskeinc said:
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

At what point do you stop crediting POOTWH for everything? 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 years? Walking talking failure on everything remotely legitimate except scamming people.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    Not even on page 2 and here we are…….. let’s try and stay on topic for once. 
    teskeinc said:
    teskeinc said:
    Get to work

How about never go ahead prove us wrong! Did he not tank the border bill? At what point will you trust him with your daughter? I know I wouldn’t trust him with a roll of paper towels 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    nicknyr15 said:
    There's only one reason, the troll who torpedoes every thread with BS. If only people would quit taking the bait...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    There's only one reason, the troll who torpedoes every thread with BS. If only people would quit taking the bait...
    I agree. 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1fts9sc/harold_daggett_the_striking_international/?rdt=39178
    They are very good friends since the old days in hanging out in Queens 
    What do you all think about demands for no automation? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    Absolutely ridiculous 
    Pure fantasy
    It’s like trying to stop the tide from rising!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    one of those crazy demands like "remove the letter Q from the English language"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    Really unrealistic and outright ignorant. They also know that's not happening so what's their real goal? Staggered implementation at certain positions with protections for future guaranteed workforce percentages that won't be replaced?
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Is there any particular reason the strike happened now?
    www.myspace.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,467
    I’m a life long union guy, but the demands for 70% over six and no automation are absurd. 

Also the union president, Harold Daggett, his rhetoric of “… going to cripple the people of this country until everyone knows who the longshoremen are” can fuck right off.

The guy is one of those old, mafia stooges. Tried twice by DOJ under RICO. Walked in one of the case s cause the main witness didn’t testify since he was decomposing in the trunk of a car. A real piece of trash.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    Raising wages were offered to 50% rather than the 70% the union is asking for.  Thats pretty damn good raises.  If they are offering that then how much are they making in the ports?

I feel this is good to get money to the people rather than the mega corporations. Does anyone know if the ports are owned by the same companies?

An uptick in rail and trucking will happen if shipping shifts to the west coast.  That will of course raise costs to the consumers, us.

The stop or trying to stop the use of AI is not gonna happen... It is inevitable whether we like it or not.  I still haven't used CHATGPT so I am fighting the power, lol!

There might be a power struggle that the Unions don't want to lose on the docks.  They wield a lot of power there and if automation happens they will lose that.  You can't tell Robot 5150 to NOT load that ship because he hasn't paid the vig...
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    I thought I read the average worker was pulling in like $110k.

But honestly just fucking pay the dudes what they are asking on the condition that some level of automation will be brought in.

they have a great deal on the West coast. Profit sharing and automation. These guys just want a good deal too.

I've been curious about the timing of this strike...

www.myspace.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    I've been curious about the timing of this strike...

No way Trump likes unions.  I don't care that they took a pic together.  It's like a pic of him and Diddy or the Queen of England.  You can draw a conclusion but it's most likely wrong.

Here in NY there are companies that would NEVER work for Trump because he was known for screwing them over, ours being one of them.

Trump would rather fire all of the Longshoremen than negotiate.
    edited October 2
    Trump likes people who like him and desperately wants people to like him simple as that. He will never do anything beyond that. He is self serving.