*** Philadelphia, PA 1 Fanviews Here 9.7.24 ***

Comments

• 1101PJ1101PJ Posts: 14
    Signs were there. What an amazing show. Thank you Pearl Jam. Thank you Philly.
    PJ
    2012 Amsterdam 1 & 2
    2014 Amsterdam 1 & 2, Milan, Trieste, Berlin
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Amsterdam 1 & 2, Pinkpop, Prague, Werchter, London 2
    2022 Oakland 1 & 2, Pinkpop, Berlin, Zurich, London 1 & 2, Budapest, Krakow, Paris, Amsterdam, Camden
    2024 Barcelona 1 & 2, Lisbon, Wrigley 2, Philadelphia 1
    EV
    2017 Amsterdam 1 & 3 
    2019 Amsterdam 1, Firenze Rocks
    SG
    2013 Amsterdam
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    Ha - that’s awesome.
  • SELiggettSELiggett Posts: 3
    edited September 9
    I've only been to 5 PJ shows so far, but this one was *easily* my favorite.
    Highlights for me were Long Road (it was the first time I've gotten it live, and I have the same last name as the guy the song was written for, so it's always felt extra special), Brain of J, Red Mosquito, and Baba (I always get Rockin in the Free World, plus like HailHail mentioned, that 5 seconds of a capella after the interruption were amaaaazing).
    I've also met some really incredible people. This community is nothing but generous, concerned, kind human beings and it always gives me a little more faith in people.
    Post edited by SELiggett on
    May 13, 2010 - Bristow, VA  I  September 14, 2022 - Camden, NJ  I  August 31, 2023 - St. Paul, MN  I  September 2, 2023 - St. Paul, MN  I  September 7, 2024 - Philadelphia, PA  I  September 9, 2024 - Philadelphia, PA

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    You all got to hear Dark Matter songs live. Lucky fuckers. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thanks McGruff for requesting Long Road! If there was an opener I would place at #1 for this show that was it! 

The double vibrant rainbow while I was waiting in line for the porta-potty was fabulous. LOL I just knew that was a sign of what was to come. 

Amazing show! Enjoyed Glen Hansard a lot. I don’t usually watch the entire opening act, but glad we did this time. 

Starting the show with Long Road was really special for me. I knew right away the band had great energy and so did the crowd. We listened to the Missoula show on our drive to Philly and this is not a criticism of the band at all, but I didn’t have any expectations for the show. Maybe I’m a bad PJ fan but I haven’t listened to the new album much. I knew there would be a stretch of new songs in the middle of the first set that maybe I wouldn’t be into. But hearing them live was so much better! They kept the energy going the whole time. Why Go and Given to Fly are always great to see live. We are like a cult knowing when to raise our hands and belt out the lyrics. Red Mosquito was awesome!! A highlight for me. 

The encores were amazing! Couldn’t have asked for anything better, really. Won’t back down was perfect. It was a show packed with so many all time favorites of mine. RVM, Daughter, Black, SOLAT. 

I was so happy for whoever had the Chloe/Crown sign that they played that for you! I have a picture that isn’t great but if you’re in here and don’t have 1, I thought you might like it. 

I have been to 4 shows in Philly (10/30/09, 10/31/09, the 10 show, and this one) and I would have to rate this one second behind 10/30/09. But they have all been sooooo good! 

Thanks for another amazing show Pearl Jam! ❤️❤️

• This is the not great picture of them singing Chloe with your sign! 

• DempsDemps Posts: 102
    We’re all talking about how that might have been one of the best shows they’ve ever played…and we’re not complaining that it was 2 hours 20 minutes, nor are we complaining about ticket prices. All about what they do with that time and the atmosphere. 
    Pretty hard to deny that the shorter shows are just higher quality at this point. Glad they made the switch. 
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world // I wait on the porch...hoping someday I'll be let in

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23 -- New York, NY 9/3/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/7/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/9/24
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Demps said:
    We’re all talking about how that might have been one of the best shows they’ve ever played…and we’re not complaining that it was 2 hours 20 minutes, nor are we complaining about ticket prices. All about what they do with that time and the atmosphere. 
    Pretty hard to deny that the shorter shows are just higher quality at this point. Glad they made the switch. 
    You can’t use this show as the reason to make this statement though when the rest of the tour has not been anywheres close to this shows level. 

If you did a top 5 shows of each tour since 2013 the shows on other tours would win head to head with ease against 2024. 

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,040
    edited September 10
    Demps said:
    '24 songs are better than 34 songs' is a hard argument to take seriously. 
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 106
    Demps said:
    It’s really not though when they were playing a lot of those 34 songs at 2x speed and the longer the show went the more Ed got loose on wine and flubbed lyrics. I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other because the 2013-2016 run of shows are memories I’ll have forever but I don’t think it’s crazy to say that as a whole the quality is better now. There’s a reason that “quality over quantity “ is a saying.
    edited September 10
    mshnayder said:
    Demps said:
    It’s really not though when they were playing a lot of those 34 songs at 2x speed and the longer the show went the more Ed got loose on wine and flubbed lyrics. I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other because the 2013-2016 run of shows are memories I’ll have forever but I don’t think it’s crazy to say that as a whole the quality is better now. There’s a reason that “quality over quantity “ is a saying.
    Yeah, 'less is more' is also a saying, but that contradicts my real life experiences in this argument just as much as "quality over quantity". 

Saturday was the 5th show I've seen post covid, and only the 1st one that compares to what I saw between 2013 - 2016. 

For my money, there's no comparing these last 3 years over the "A Night w/ Pearl Jam" era. 
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 106
    mshnayder said:
    Demps said:
    Yeah, 'less is more' is also a saying, but that contradicts my real life experiences in this argument just as much as "quality over quantity". 

Saturday was the 5th show I've seen post covid, and only the 1st one that compares to what I saw between 2013 - 2016. 

For my money, there's no comparing these last 3 years over the "A Night w/ Pearl Jam" era. 
    Okay but that’s YOUR experience. I just think it’s weird to tell somebody else that it is “a hard argument to take seriously.” Because it’s not and it’s not an argument. Different experiences for different folks and for me both Philly shows and night 2 at Wrigley the other week were all up there with the run of 2013-2016 shows. Not as good as some but better than others as well.
    mshnayder said:
    mshnayder said:
    Demps said:

Okay but that’s YOUR experience. I just think it’s weird to tell somebody else that it is “a hard argument to take seriously.” Because it’s not and it’s not an argument. Different experiences for different folks and for me both Philly shows and night 2 at Wrigley the other week were all up there with the run of 2013-2016 shows. Not as good as some but better than others as well.
    Weirder than suggesting that it's "pretty hard to deny..." another subjective opinion? 

Ok
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    edited September 10
    Demps said:
    Went to Springsteen a few weeks ago. Awesome 3.5 hour show BUT he could have taken out about 5-7 songs in the middle that slowed the set down and still would have been an incredible 2.5 hour show.   If the songs are filler do they really need to be there?

Also as  I get older standing for 3.5 hours ain't so easy anymore.

I think the length of these PJ shows is good for this point in time. I'd rather have them kill 25 songs then flub some songs to get to 32.  Listening to a lot of the shows and now having been at 3 on this tour I think there are a lot less flubs than there was during the 30+ song sets. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:
    Demps said:
    Went to Springsteen a few weeks ago. Awesome 3.5 hour show BUT he could have taken out about 5-7 songs in the middle that slowed the set down and still would have been an incredible 2.5 hour show.   If the songs are filler do they really need to be there?

No argument there, but I'm going to have to see a lot more shows like Saturday night to be convinced that post Covid Pearl Jam is better than 2013 - 2016 Pearl Jam. 

I get it, "Father time is undefeated" as Charles Barkley said, and I'm grateful PJ is still around and can still deliver like they did these last two shows. 

Bring on Fenway.  
    pjhawks said:

I think the length of these PJ shows is good for this point in time. I'd rather have them kill 25 songs then flub some songs to get to 32.  Listening to a lot of the shows and now having been at 3 on this tour I think there are a lot less flubs than there was during the 30+ song sets. 
    Fair points as well. 
  • PJNB said:
    Demps said:
    You can’t use this show as the reason to make this statement though when the rest of the tour has not been anywheres close to this shows level. 

If you did a top 5 shows of each tour since 2013 the shows on other tours would win head to head with ease against 2024. 

Sure if you use the 2013 as an example for length equaling quality then you’re right. But the tours from 98-2010 mostly had shows just over 2 hours and they are all better than any tours since (with the exception of 2008 which I didn’t love at the time). 
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    PJNB said:
    Demps said:

Sure if you use the 2013 as an example for length equaling quality then you’re right. But the tours from 98-2010 mostly had shows just over 2 hours and they are all better than any tours since (with the exception of 2008 which I didn’t love at the time). 
    There is a reason that N1 was loved by so many people. Count how many songs were after 1998 not including the new album. 

The years you are mentioning all had those style of sets. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    mcgruff10 said:
    Tonight was perfection.  The set was perfect, the crowd was sooooo loud and the band was off the charts.  I’ve seen them 63 times live and this was one of the best shows I ve ever witnessed.  Thank you for Long Road!!!!! So many highlights.  Mosquito, brain of j, I won’t back down, rvm!!!! Wow. What an incredible night.  See you Monday night!  Do I go to Baltimore?!?!? 
    I too have to been to a lot of shows, never really kept track (but over 30).  This show will go down as a flip flop of number 1 and 2 all-time best for me (flip flop with Friday night Spectrum show in '09).  Right now, I'm leaning to Saturday as best ever.  The double rainbow coming out of subway station was a sign something momentous was going to happen and it certainly did.  We were in 200 level close to the stage and it provided a vantage point to see the crowd singing and rocking out the entire show.  The band brought it, the crowd brought it and together that makes for a phenomenal experience.  That show will stay with me for a LONG time.  
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    If I was only seeing 1 show per tour I’d prefer an epic 34 song masterpiece.  When I’m seeing them 5 times I’m totally fine with the set lists we’ve gotten recently. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10 said:
    Tonight was perfection.  The set was perfect, the crowd was sooooo loud and the band was off the charts.  I’ve seen them 63 times live and this was one of the best shows I ve ever witnessed.  Thank you for Long Road!!!!! So many highlights.  Mosquito, brain of j, I won’t back down, rvm!!!! Wow. What an incredible night.  See you Monday night!  Do I go to Baltimore?!?!? 
    I too have to been to a lot of shows, never really kept track (but over 30).  This show will go down as a flip flop of number 1 and 2 all-time best for me (flip flop with Friday night Spectrum show in '09).  Right now, I'm leaning to Saturday as best ever.  The double rainbow coming out of subway station was a sign something momentous was going to happen and it certainly did.  We were in 200 level close to the stage and it provided a vantage point to see the crowd singing and rocking out the entire show.  The band brought it, the crowd brought it and together that makes for a phenomenal experience.  That show will stay with me for a LONG time.  
    I had that same feeling seeing the rainbow. I was tailgating in the lot behind the GA line and we kind of looked up and did a double take to confirm what were actually seeing. I was in 211 and the whole section was in awe of what we were watching.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,305
    edited September 10
    pjhawks said:
    Demps said:

No argument there, but I'm going to have to see a lot more shows like Saturday night to be convinced that post Covid Pearl Jam is better than 2013 - 2016 Pearl Jam. 

I get it, "Father time is undefeated" as Charles Barkley said, and I'm grateful PJ is still around and can still deliver like they did these last two shows. 

Bring on Fenway.  
    At first I thought it was more about song amounts but I’m starting to realize it’s more about the pool
    of songs they’re pulling from. It seems to be the smallest it’s ever been. We still technically get variation but it doesn’t have that “no song is safe” feel anymore. Could just be that it’s a new album tour but who knows. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    mcgruff10 said:
    I had that same feeling seeing the rainbow. I was tailgating in the lot behind the GA line and we kind of looked up and did a double take to confirm what were actually seeing. I was in 211 and the whole section was in awe of what we were watching.
    Coming out of the subway with a bunch of people and someone said, oooooh look at that, and suddenly people spread out, standing side by side in a line, all taking pictures of the double rainbow.  After the weird rain shower (almost looked like snow), it was definitely a goosebump experience. My concert buddy called it kismet and that was spot on.  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Coming out of the subway with a bunch of people and someone said, oooooh look at that, and suddenly people spread out, standing side by side in a line, all taking pictures of the double rainbow.  After the weird rain shower (almost looked like snow), it was definitely a goosebump experience. My concert buddy called it kismet and that was spot on.  
    That rain shower was something, I just walked over to a tailgate when it started pouring and then I walked into the complex where the bars are, which I guess is the old site of the spectrum and an hour later, the rain was gone and it was significantly cooler out.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    Took my daughter to this show as her very first experience and she may not be able to top it which is a great problem to have. I'd never been to a Philly show and I am glad I listened to everyone here that has said for years that Philly shows are some of the best. We had a fabulous time and this will definitely be in my top 2 shows ever seen!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • !
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    Those are gorgeous. Thank you!
  • JD29648JD29648 Posts: 42
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know I’m late here. But after a couple or a maybe a few hundred times seeing this band since…yeah… this show was up there at the top. The absolute vocal mastery straight from 1998 after stopping the show during Baba was the icing for me. 

Took my girl to a couple this tour, bottlerock for example, and still felt like she hadn’t really seen the band. After the 9/7 rainbow show she gets it. This band is making new fans in 2024 and that’s all I have to say about that 🤙
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,066
    JD29648 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know I’m late here. But after a couple or a maybe a few hundred times seeing this band since…yeah… this show was up there at the top. The absolute vocal mastery straight from 1998 after stopping the show during Baba was the icing for me. 

Took my girl to a couple this tour, bottlerock for example, and still felt like she hadn’t really seen the band. After the 9/7 rainbow show she gets it. This band is making new fans in 2024 and that’s all I have to say about that 🤙
    It’s something hard to describe. Only felt that at Missoula 12’ where the band and crowd just clicked and made for an elevated experience that rises above a setlist, show length etc. 

I watched the Philly 1 stream and knew it was one of the great nights of this amazing band.
  • JD29648JD29648 Posts: 42
    edited September 12
    KN219077 said:
    JD29648 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It’s something hard to describe. Only felt that at Missoula 12’ where the band and crowd just clicked and made for an elevated experience that rises above a setlist, show length etc. 

I watched the Philly 1 stream and knew it was one of the great nights of this amazing band.

Funny you say that, because for me Missoula in 2012 I thought Mudhoney was not mixed properly (too loud basically) and that the crowd the rest of the night was just meh. I was behind the stage so maybe it was that but the point is your take just goes to show that the consensus about Philly 1 is a meaningful one 

edited for the 🤙
    Post edited by JD29648 on