*** New York, NY 1 Fanviews Here 9.3.24 ***

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,376
    HS152050 said:
    Am I the only one who got shut out of both MSG shows (not the 1st time that it has happened) that finds it interesting that so many of the commenters who went last night are going again tonight?  How does that work?  Thankfully I got Fenway but I just don't get it. 
    I got shut out of Noblesville and Wrigley...my wife is a member also and luckily got pit for Noblesville and Wrigley #1....I had to go to stubhub for night 2. We oddly ended up with seats right next to a couple from England that we met at the 2013 rain out show.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Out of Mind! Played 6x and last night was my 2nd🤯!
    "I'm just feeling so tough with my ukelele...my badass mother f'in ukelele" EV 8/7/08 Newark, NJ

• 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,934
    edited September 4
    My 18th show, and first at MSG, so they basically could have played anything and I would have been happy! I would have been content staying home yesterday, but managed to somehow snag a face value ticket in 107 mid-aftermoon, and sailed down to the city from MA.

I was surprised that the energy around me wasn't as much as I thought it'd be, but the band sounded super tight (minus some song choices like Outta My Mind and others that stopped the energy altogether). Was a treat to hear Betterman and Immortality @ the beginning of the show. Was also pumped they brought out LBC, even though Ed completely botched the lyrics the first go. Wish there were songs from No Code & Binaural, but there are two Fenway shows coming up for me. Setlist didn't have anything earth-shattering, and was a bit meandering in flow, but they sounded as tight as ever, and I'm so glad I got to finally get to MSG after 21 years of following them live!

2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • JDjr said:
    Great pic! Great show. First time hearing Love Boat Captain!
    Mine too! I full on screamed when they started playing it! 
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,548
    Show was incredible - expecting them to level up even more tonight. Can't wait!
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,548
    Show was incredible - expecting them to level up even more tonight. Can't wait!
    Also. GLEN HANSARD.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,457
    Glen never ever lets you down
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 658
    whino33 said:
    tdawe said:
    I’m glad everyone enjoyed it, but that one just didn’t do it for me.
    Same. Haven’t missed an MSG show in over 25 years and caught the two LA shows from this tour as well. Last night was my probably my least favorite show of all time. That was def NOT high energy for an MSG show and the set list construction didn’t help. Hoping everyone brings it tonight so we can make the floor shake like the good old days!
    You need a Breath,Leash,RVM run and that floor will shake again! Awesome you've seen all the MSG shows for over 25 years. We were able to catch the May 20, 2010 MSG show and have great memories of that show. In any event enjoy the show tonight!!
  • pjallipjalli Posts: 131
    #55 for me and had an absolute blast (as always). Had awesome people around us in the pit (except for that one cowgirl hat lady who literally filmed the entire show and herself using some gigantic folding screen phone / stone cold weirdo), but the rest of the crew was rocking out and dancing all night.  Helps being 4 people back for sure when it feels like you are in the show, vs. just watching and listening.  Highlights for me Immortality, LBC, Satan’s, Black and a truly uproarious GTF.  Baba and Indifference felt like a dream (thought we were getting momma son for a minute but now predicting Footsteps opener tonight!) Sure, some have been better than others, but  PJ + MSG = full soul fulfilling bliss every fucking time.
    The cowgirl tried to stand basically right in my spot before the show started and I made her leave. Took a few tries but eventually I got her to move back. I could see where that was heading and I couldn't let it happen for obvious reasons...

I was 3 back in line w/ Eddie so honestly I can't be objective about that show! You knew Satan's Bed was coming after the fashion week mention, so good. And I love hearing all the new songs, especially watching him try to remember the lyrics to Running :) 

I really wish people in the pit would stop taking photos and videos the whole time. I mean it's just nonstop and so annoying. I'm team James Murphy and Jack White on this one. 
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,982
    mcgruff10 said:
     50th New York show tonight; are we expecting something more perhaps?
    Nope!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The anticipation and buzz in the building for 2022 was light years ahead of last night. There was something different that night imo.  
    MSG 2022 is the reason MSG 2024 was my first ever concert with earplugs.  That shit was LOUD!!
    Energy of 22 only outdone by 2010 N2.  Both bananas.
    That’s funny.  I posted elsewhere that 2022 was the loudest I’ve ever heard MSG except maybe for that Better Man cheer way back (which indeed was the night you referenced.  That show was magic)
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,848
    Show was incredible! Screens were incredible. Overall 10/10. Everyone going crazy and enjoying the show. The screens are the best. 
  • soph189soph189 Posts: 317
    Ahaha the cowgirl really made herself known last night. She also crept up next to me before the show, but we finally got her to move back. 
    Had such an amazing time in the pit last night, 3 back near Eddie and surrounded by friendly fans who seemed as excited as me to be there. Highlights included Pendulum opener, Immortality, LBC, Inside Job, Imagine and of course Indifference (which nearly had me in tears - I’ve been wanting to hear it live for so long). Thank you for a special show PJ! Can’t wait for tonight 🫶🏻
  • Wow! I'm surprised by the tepid reviews here. Maybe I was just in a decent spot in GA but I was feeling the energy from the crowd and had lots of dancers, jumpers, and singers around me. I've never been in GA at MSG, and I would absolutely do it again. Yes, there is annoying pushing when guys are going in and out for beer, but aren't we used to that by now? The talking through a show I'll never get used to, but there wasn't much of that around me (phew). 

Highlights for me: I've been waiting forever to hear LBC! Perhaps one of the best GTF moments ever (and I always love to hear that song) - Eddie's "fuck them" onramp was just spectacular banter that got us all revved.

Loved the set overall, and thought it flowed nicely - I never felt a moment worth leaving to get a drink, which is a real test. :)  I was happily surprised to hear Satan's Bed and Inside Job - the crowd near me seemed pretty psyched to hear both as well. The Indifference closer was also great. This hits like Black, Even Flow, Evolution, and Betterman all got a great reaction from the crowd.  

Comparing this show to the 22 show is a bit much for me. It was September 11 in NYC for a post-covid reschedule. OF COURSE the crowd was out-of-their-minds that night.... that's not replicable, so give up that dream/comparison, folks.  

To those who are asking about end time, it was after 11, but not after 11:10. I remember looking at my watch when Eddie was saying "one more" and it was 10:59, so I'm guess they ended at 11:05ish. I know the sets are getting shorter, but the band rocked last night and I cannot imagine doing that two nights in a row. My legs hurt from standing all night and I'm grateful to have a seat tonight. I love that this community helps each other get tickets to these high demand shows! I hope that never stops. 

Looking forward to Fenway as well! 
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    AlaG said:
    Controversial opinion probably but it was my first time in the pit at MSG. I preferred having seats in 2022. Drunk dudes shoving past people during all my favorite moments, the people behind me would not stop having a convo the entire show and were so close to me I could hear every word. Mostly just heard the crowd singing (poorly) and not the band - again the dudes behind me were shouting incredibly loudly when they weren’t talking about something totally unrelated to the show that was 5 feet in front of them. I think I actually like a bit of distance from some of these elements. Was cool to see the band having such a good time at the Garden up close! Looking forward to having an actual solid listening experience from my seats tonight lol. Didn’t hold a candle to 2018 or 2022 to me but I imagine others would rate it highly.

Was there room to move or were you packed in like sardines? It looked tight from where I sat.
  • merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The anticipation and buzz in the building for 2022 was light years ahead of last night. There was something different that night imo.  
    MSG 2022 is the reason MSG 2024 was my first ever concert with earplugs.  That shit was LOUD!!
    I've used earplugs for every concert I've been to in the last three years.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • You can’t compare a crowd that has 3000 less people with no seats behind the stage to the legendary crowd of 2022. That said, GA was so much fun last night. Last night lived up to the expectations for me, but yes there’s definitely another level we can get up to at MSG.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    AlaG said:
    Controversial opinion probably but it was my first time in the pit at MSG. I preferred having seats in 2022. Drunk dudes shoving past people during all my favorite moments, the people behind me would not stop having a convo the entire show and were so close to me I could hear every word. Mostly just heard the crowd singing (poorly) and not the band - again the dudes behind me were shouting incredibly loudly when they weren’t talking about something totally unrelated to the show that was 5 feet in front of them. I think I actually like a bit of distance from some of these elements. Was cool to see the band having such a good time at the Garden up close! Looking forward to having an actual solid listening experience from my seats tonight lol. Didn’t hold a candle to 2018 or 2022 to me but I imagine others would rate it highly.

Was there room to move or were you packed in like sardines? It looked tight from where I sat.
    I didn’t think it was crazy tight.  When the band came on there was zero “push” forward.  It was pretty chill but it was close enough that you couldn’t just be walking through or dancing erratically or anything like that 
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 974
    AlaG said:

2 couples shoved their way in front of me and my show partner like halfway through the show and on top of leaving zero space for the folks that had been standing there for hours, the dudes kept touching everyone and trying to hi five people. Just generally really annoying. I thought they left for a bit and homie comes barreling back in during the Black solo. Like cmon …
  • RohitRohit Posts: 7
    What time did Glen Hansard go on? Heading to N2 today and couldn't find any info on that
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,268
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:

2 couples shoved their way in front of me and my show partner like halfway through the show and on top of leaving zero space for the folks that had been standing there for hours, the dudes kept touching everyone and trying to hi five people. Just generally really annoying. I thought they left for a bit and homie comes barreling back in during the Black solo. Like cmon …
    Trash people 
    Rohit said:
    What time did Glen Hansard go on? Heading to N2 today and couldn't find any info on that
    7 30
    nicknyr15 said:
    AlaG said:
    AlaG said:

Trash people 
    I guess what I’ll never understand is every single part of this band’s pit is a good spot. It’s teeny tiny. I’d be at the back of the pit and have no inclination to move forward if that’s where I was when I arrived.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,713
    merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I've used earplugs for every concert I've been to in the last three years.

More than 25 years using plugs. At every show. Sometimes keep them in, sometimes not. And get some good ones, not the foam. It actually makes the sound better if there is distortion. I think that set was curated to a nice balance. Looking forward to tonight. Not looking for any real breakouts. $23 beers, welcome to NYC entertainment.  And people fighting? WTF? 
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 566
    Show #30 for me, glad to be back at The Garden for the first time since the 2016 shows. I was in sec. 225 which was basically center ice and I'm shocked by those saying the energy wasn't good, I thought it was incredible. I took more pictures of the crowd going nuts than the band and I think Mike breaking his amp and chucking the guitar into the pedal board basically proves the band was fired up.

Fun to see Pendulum again after it was played heavily about a decade+ ago. Better Man 2nd to get the crowd going was a super nice surprise then into Immortality started the night perfectly. Scared of Fear, Dark Matter and Upper Hand were the standouts from the album. 

Finally got to cross off Love Boat Captain and the intro jam was sick. Satans Bed is always a welcome surprise and Inside Job I could take at every show.

I have seen Out of My Mind 3 times which is crazy and I just don't get it, it was special to bring it back once but Ed needs to stop with the serious collectors thing - just play something off the middle records or Lost Dogs. Also could do without Imagine, that 1st song post encore has become a real snoozefest lately.

Could've been the best versions of Given To Fly and Black that I've seen with Ed and Mike both really animated during it. Goes to show the hits are never boring. 

Playing Baba instead of Rockin is a win and closing with Indifference made this show that much more special

There’s nothing like a show in that building, it just makes it feel more important. The band was very fired up and Ed said that tonight's show is #50 in NYC so hoping for an even more memorable evening. 
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,632
    Show was amazing. I can’t add much to what was already said. This was my 2nd time seeing Out of My Mind and I actually like it. My worry going in was that I had upper level and that my section would be a dud. I had the aisle and was prepared to stand in it if the people behind sat the whole time. But I was wrong. My whole section stood the whole show and danced. Everyone was singing - even the more obscure songs. Not everyone knew the words to the new ones but seemed to get into them anyway. And I just have to add. - Mike - wow!!  No other words needed. 
  • cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 238
    Fantastic show. It was #23 for me, and second of the tour (Wrigley 2 being the other). Highlights for me were Immortality, Satan’s Bed, Upper Hand, LBC (crossing out Dance of the Clairvoyants and replacing it with LBC was an A+ decision), GTF, and Unthought Known. I should probably add DTE to the list, because they do such a wonderful job with the video screens. Putting on a critics hat, I would say it wasn’t a top five show for me (could have done without Pendulum, Wreckage, OOMM, and MYM, but I certainly get why others love those songs), and I thought Wrigley 2 was better, but it was still wonderful. I think this is from the Imagine in Cornice video, but when it shows Alive they guys talk about how the song has transformed from its original meaning into a big celebration. It now feels like damn near every song in their catalog is a celebration, and that is a great thing. It makes each show feel like far more than merely a concert, it is a shared experience with thousands of your friends where for a couple of hours you are going to be at the best place on earth that evening.

Beyond the show itself, I had an amazing location in the pit, semi-rail on Mike’s side toward the end. I say “semi” because during Glen Hansard (best PJ opener I have seen since My Morning Jacket many many years ago) I intentionally moved a few feet back and closer to the center while still staying in my general area and letting those behind me move closer. I was pretty close to the gentleman in the wheelchair (who Ed very kindly gave a tambourine to and Mike made sure got a couple of picks) and a fairly unobstructed view over him most of the show. When your biggest complaint about your sight line is that Danny Clinch and his camera keep getting in your way, you are in a great spot.

This was my first time in the pit where I have stood anywhere other than near the back (the last time I was in the pit at a PJ show was Baltimore 2013, so it had been a while), and here are a few random things from my experience in case it is of interest. MSG did a numbered wristband process to prevent people from camping out. They gave them out at 9am the day of the show, but my train didn’t get in until 1pm, so I ended up being 140-something. When we entered the building to line up at 5:30pm the system seemed a bit chaotic (mostly due to a few loud obnoxious fans who made it far more difficult on the MSG workers than it needed to be), but it ended up being super smooth once they got everyone to pay attention and line up in the correct order.

I attended the show by myself, and everyone around me was great. Granted we were pretty close to the end of the rail, but we had a lot of room and didn’t run into any problems of cramming, pushing, etc. I wouldn’t call it roomy, but it was by no means cramped. About halfway through the Glen Hansard set there were only a couple people behind me, so you could have walked in 30 minutes after doors opened and still had a get spot on the floor. I suppose that is the advantage of the pit in an arena compared to the larger ones at stadium shows.

One other random thing to share about Mike McCready being super human - that man is unbelievable. I’m probably around 15 years younger, but wish I had half the energy he has. One strange thing that was interested is that for the main set he was wearing a pair of Hokas, but during the encore break he switched to boots. I thought it was funny that he is able to go from some of the most comfortable shoes for running around and jumping and then switching to something that is presumably far heavier with less cushion after getting through the rigors of the main set.

Looking forward to Baltimore, which is the last show of the tour for me.

98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimore; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY; 23-St Paul1&2, Chicago1; 24-Chicago2, NY1, Baltimore
  • HS152050 said:
    Am I the only one who got shut out of both MSG shows (not the 1st time that it has happened) that finds it interesting that so many of the commenters who went last night are going again tonight?  How does that work?  Thankfully I got Fenway but I just don't get it. 
    Stub hub is the reality path. Also many families with multiple memberships.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,376
    pjalli said:
    #55 for me and had an absolute blast (as always). Had awesome people around us in the pit (except for that one cowgirl hat lady who literally filmed the entire show and herself using some gigantic folding screen phone / stone cold weirdo), but the rest of the crew was rocking out and dancing all night.  Helps being 4 people back for sure when it feels like you are in the show, vs. just watching and listening.  Highlights for me Immortality, LBC, Satan’s, Black and a truly uproarious GTF.  Baba and Indifference felt like a dream (thought we were getting momma son for a minute but now predicting Footsteps opener tonight!) Sure, some have been better than others, but  PJ + MSG = full soul fulfilling bliss every fucking time.
    The cowgirl tried to stand basically right in my spot before the show started and I made her leave. Took a few tries but eventually I got her to move back. I could see where that was heading and I couldn't let it happen for obvious reasons...

I was 3 back in line w/ Eddie so honestly I can't be objective about that show! You knew Satan's Bed was coming after the fashion week mention, so good. And I love hearing all the new songs, especially watching him try to remember the lyrics to Running :) 

I really wish people in the pit would stop taking photos and videos the whole time. I mean it's just nonstop and so annoying. I'm team James Murphy and Jack White on this one. 
    yeah I don't get it...and you know they never watch that shit because it's unwatchable. I'll take a pic or maybe a quick video just so I remember where I was but you watch these people videoing the whole thing while they are jumping and moving around...so fucking stupid and annoying

and the high fiving...whether at concerts or sporting events I have never understood the need to high five someone after a score that they had nothing to do with or a song they had nothing to do with
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Glen's band was fantastic. Really loved the energy they brought to the room as an opening act. Bravo.