*** Chicago, IL 1 Fanviews Here 8.29.24 ***

Comments

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 656
    edited August 30
    This show was orders of magnitude above the Indy show, for me.  Ed still thinks playing at Wrigley is special, and they bring a special show every time they play there. The audio quality was much better than Indy too.  26 songs, more than they've been playing lately.  Great versions of Down and U.  Weather was perfect too! Edit: Loved the Better Man tease, into Corduroy.  There was a drunk guy absolutely flailing around during State, near the left field corner, almost knocked over fences and beverage service. Hilarious!
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,146

• utpaldesaiutpaldesai Posts: 28
    SkeeterB said:
    Great show don’t get me wrong. This after Indy was disappointing. A lot of the same stuff in the same order. 
    The start of the show was amazing and LOVE the new songs, but playing so many in a row like they have been, it seemed to kill all the vibes around me and a lot of people seemed to not get back into it again. It was weird. More people = more casual fans maybe? 
    I had a blast but maybe the most off Wrigley show yet. Maybe just a bad section, it’ll happen 
    Wow. 🤔
    Again, great show, I loved it even with the similarities to Indy. I had a blast! My girlfriend and I, and the couple ladies by us seemed to be the only ones who cared, and even they left or sat down during that first run of Dark Matter songs. It was weird! 
    This is the new normal. I had a similar experience at the Sacramento show in May 2024. The band was in excellent form and sounded great, but the fans weren't as into the songs as they used to be. 'Corduroy’ and ‘Better Man’ don’t get any sing-alongs anymore. I have been attending PJ shows since 2000. The Lightning Bolt Tour (2013) remains my favorite. 
  • MidwesternGirlMidwesternGirl Posts: 4
    edited August 31
    When it comes to the unique moments from last night's show, I think you have to start with how deeply moved Ed seemed to be on the stage in Wrigley Field this time around, and that was apparent in many ways--from the emotion in his voice during the stories he told, to acknowledging his miscues in the first few songs were because he was having an "out of body experience".  I found the candor, the humility, and the authenticity endearing.  

The other unique moment was the fan being pulled on stage to sing Won't Tell.  You gotta give that girl her flowers because she did amazingly well.  By the end of the song she seemed very comfortable in front of 50,000+ people on stage with legends.

Now I haven't been to too many Pearl Jam shows, but in comparison to the ones I have, last night Mike McCready was the best I have ever seen him.  Just ridiculously good, no matter the song.  Him and Matt were locked in so many times, putting the "Jam" in Pearl Jam, trading licks with fire and fury while Stone kept the pocket tight. And Jeff stole the back half of the show for me as he was dropping those sick bass lines with *chef's kiss* perfection.   

All in all, like most fans, I hope for certain songs and could take or leave others, but at the end of the day I simply want to see/hear a band that is bringing it every song (knowing full well some days it comes easy and some days it's not in the cards). I felt like I was witnessing everybody on stage bringing it every song last night, so I walked away grateful for the experience.  

(ps. this is my first time reviewing a show so please go easy on me.  this post will expire on Sept 10th)

Post edited by MidwesternGirl on
  • KwienekeKwieneke Posts: 1,562
    Does anyone have any “high quality” pics from the pit last night?
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • KK257911KK257911 Posts: 26
    Last night was my 12th show.  I have never been one to compare shows, I am just SO DAMN THANKFUL I still get to see Pearl Jam live.  PJ has always been my favorite band, but Glen is my favorite singer.  Saw him the night before at the Salt Shed and he just blows me away every time.  To have my favorite band and my favorite singer on the same bill - it just does not get any better than that.  Throw in the fantastic weather (finally) and decent seats - I have no complaints - even without "collecting" any new songs.  Still holding on to hope I finally hear "Garden" on Saturday.  Maybe I will be lucky with my 13th show!
    '00 - Virginia Beach, '08 - West Seattle 1 (EV), '11 - Chicago 2 (EV), '12 - Missoula, '13 - Wrigley, '14 - Cincinnati, '16 - Lexington, '16 - Wrigley 1 & 2, '18 - Seattle 1 & 2, '18 - Missoula, '18 - Wrigley 2, '24 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • I thought it was really stinking good. Especially based on some previous sets, which I am sure we're great in person.

My 21st show, first in Chicago. Easily a top 10 for me.

Opening with Release, Down, U, Immortality, new songs sounded great and I thought mostly fit (I think they need to find a better place for Setting Sun), I died at the Better Man switch -- sort of surprised more people haven't complained about that -- SOLAT. Just great. The duet was fantastic. Added a great element. I maybe could have used a YLB topper or something but few complaints. Funny I have seen Down and I before.

Also had a great time in the crowd. Funny enough the people I was by on the train there, who are also from Colorado, sat right in front of me. We bantered the whole show about what was going on, and they were also amazed at the Better Man switch.

Two women next to me desperately wanted to hear SOLAT and during the encore said they looked it up for the last time they played it and asked me if there was a chance. I said who knows, but it has been a decent amount of time (and I hadn't heard it in six or seven shows). They just went crazy when it started. It made it even more fun for me to see their happiness. 

The energy around Wrigley, Ed's emotion a few times. Just a great night. 
  • fsu2626fsu2626 Posts: 371
    Awesome show right from the start with Release! Only thing that could have topped it would have been Indifference after RITFW. Can't wait for night 2! 
  • KP283456KP283456 Posts: 2
    Man, what a setlist! I’m jealous! 
    Baltimore show for me. 👍
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    I wasn't there, but people talking about being in the upper deck and the people around you all sitting and don't know any songs... yeah that's a bummer, that was my Fenway experience in 2016. Really, you haven't heard Immortality or In Hiding?

In Vegas in May, I was in GA, but I took time to look around and you could see people at the top - everyone standing and celebrating all the music. So good arguments for the arena shows vs. the stadium shows, against, of course, the challenge of getting tickets.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • RR105426RR105426 Posts: 99
    Little bit of a mixed bag for me last night.  On the positive side mother nature did her part... McCready was as good as I've ever seen him, I don't understand it but he continues to get better and better.  Stone, Jeff, and Matt all looked like they were having a blast up there.  Overall fun set list.  The new stuff really does sound great live!

Something seemed a little "off" with Eddie.  I don't know if maybe he enjoyed himself a little too much before the show but flubbing Of The Girl (it happens), his speaking was disjointed especially early on the in show.  Stopping Why Go in the middle - I get it he saw the medics with the flashing red things and is sensitive to crowd safety which I get, but the flashing sticks is a regular occurance at shows that doesn't generally stop the show.  Obviously safety of everyone is paramount, just thought it was weird.  

Still a ton of fun and always blessed to see another PJ show.  Looking forward to Saturday - generally I've always found night 2 of these big stadium shows to be better.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 30,030
    I wasn't there, but people talking about being in the upper deck and the people around you all sitting and don't know any songs... yeah that's a bummer, that was my Fenway experience in 2016. Really, you haven't heard Immortality or In Hiding?

In Vegas in May, I was in GA, but I took time to look around and you could see people at the top - everyone standing and celebrating all the music. So good arguments for the arena shows vs. the stadium shows, against, of course, the challenge of getting tickets.
    vegas shows seem to always be good…..which was always kind of surprising to me, since it’s turned into kind of a douche town (I lived there, 1978-2010)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RR105426 said:
    Little bit of a mixed bag for me last night.  On the positive side mother nature did her part... McCready was as good as I've ever seen him, I don't understand it but he continues to get better and better.  Stone, Jeff, and Matt all looked like they were having a blast up there.  Overall fun set list.  The new stuff really does sound great live!

Something seemed a little "off" with Eddie.  I don't know if maybe he enjoyed himself a little too much before the show but flubbing Of The Girl (it happens), his speaking was disjointed especially early on the in show.  Stopping Why Go in the middle - I get it he saw the medics with the flashing red things and is sensitive to crowd safety which I get, but the flashing sticks is a regular occurance at shows that doesn't generally stop the show.  Obviously safety of everyone is paramount, just thought it was weird.  

Still a ton of fun and always blessed to see another PJ show.  Looking forward to Saturday - generally I've always found night 2 of these big stadium shows to be better.

Show #17 for me, and I was telling my friend after the show that Eddie just seemed like he had an off night. Obviously, there is no problem with that, as it happens to anyone. Anyhow - I've noticed the same. :)

Chicago - 2007, 2009, 2013, 2016 (2X)
    Noblesville - 2010
    East Troy - 2011
    Moline - 2014
  • JakeN7JakeN7 Posts: 63
    Great show, tons of fun. 
  • rrebernrrebern Posts: 86
    JakeN7 said:
    Great show, tons of fun. 
    Wow, great pics!
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    Great show last night! Release is always extra special in Chicago. Of The Girl, Off He Goes, and U were great. Immortality is always a treat, for me. The new songs sounded GREAT live, especially Waiting For Stevie. SOLAT, after Just Breathe and Won't Back down, was an absolute punch in the face, and got the crowd going again. Fun night. Can't wait for Saturday!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • Jcanr20Jcanr20 Posts: 159
    hrd2imgn said:
    It was Mike's night, epic solo one aftwr another.  He accepted and ran away with Ed's challenge to put on his best performance ever
    Definitely the solos really stood out tonight! Nothing like experiencing it in person.
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,938
    1. I loved the new songs. I wanted to hear them and my bummer was they crossed off Upper Hand of Evolution (hopefully Saturday). 

2. That opening 6 was killer. Probably my favorite in 20 shows, only to be rivaled by 2016 Night 2; and I've heard every single one of those songs 3 or more times. For me it's the element of surprise about the order of the songs and what gets mixed in where. 

3. No new ones except for the Dark Matter tracks but I've been absolutely so lucky to hear so many songs that my days of getting even 1 none new album track are the exception not the rule and that's ok. I get to see my favorite band. I get to be around people that love the band, love music and love to sing. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
    I didn't feel like Eddie was off. I noticed a little bit of a flub during Of The Girl but it didn't take away from the song any for me. I'm not a big fan of it to begin with though. As far as the story telling, he has had a hard time spitting out what he wants to say for quite a while now. I should know, I am the same way.  :) I'm not a big fan of the long talking but it is what it is. When I buy the boots I just edit it out on my MacBook. 
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 106
    RR105426 said:

Couldn’t disagree with this more. I don’t think Eddie sounded any different than he normally does. He always talks and stutters through his crowd dialogue. Other than one small part in Of The Girl he didn’t have any song mishaps and he had PLENTY of energy. And his energy seemed to get stronger as the show continued. Also never going to fault him for stopping a show when he thinks he sees something dangerous. They have a little PTSD with crowd safety and rightfully so…
  • bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 238
    Great to see React Respond get a rest. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    bazfromoz said:
    Great to see React Respond get a rest. 
    Agreed. The album is so good you can easily split it at a two night stand. 
    mshnayder said:
    RR105426 said:

Couldn’t disagree with this more. I don’t think Eddie sounded any different than he normally does. He always talks and stutters through his crowd dialogue. Other than one small part in Of The Girl he didn’t have any song mishaps and he had PLENTY of energy. And his energy seemed to get stronger as the show continued. Also never going to fault him for stopping a show when he thinks he sees something dangerous. They have a little PTSD with crowd safety and rightfully so…
    Agree 100%. The band has great energy. It's so fun watching Stone move around as much as he is, and they are all smiling. Clearly having fun and enjoying playing.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,875
    RR105426 said:

You think it’s weird Eddie stopped the show to make sure everyone was ok? Are you serious? 
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Posts: 839
    Great set. Great show. Mike has been fire all year!
    Please, please can we retire RITFW.
    8 out of 20 shows for me is way too much.
    Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Posts: 1,000
    Fantastic show, pit was rockin!  Release is my favorite opener so it started great, and just got better from there.  Neat to hear Ed say “State?” to the other band members before they ripped that one. Nice to meet Jay and Adriel if you’re out there.  A dude fell out and had to be wheeled away, hope he’s doing alright too!  He missed most of the show 🙁

Just picked up the setlist t-shirt and will be getting it sweaty on Saturday!
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• utpaldesaiutpaldesai Posts: 28
    Jcanr20 said:
    I didn't feel like Eddie was off. I noticed a little bit of a flub during Of The Girl but it didn't take away from the song any for me. I'm not a big fan of it to begin with though. As far as the story telling, he has had a hard time spitting out what he wants to say for quite a while now. I should know, I am the same way.  :) I'm not a big fan of the long talking but it is what it is. When I buy the boots I just edit it out on my MacBook. 
    I also heard that he speaks more often now to catch a breather. He is almost 60. 
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Last night was stellar. 

Not much to add to what others have said, just want to add a positive voice to counterbalance against the gripes. 

Loved the opening 4, have wanted to hear "Of The Girl" forever.  Loved the main set.  Mike went absolutely scorched earth on a few numbers, just draw dropping.  Loved the encore.  Easily one of the most joyous renditions of RITFW I've experienced; could feel the energy from all directions because everyone knew it was safe to empty the tank and just let it rip.

The new songs sounded great.  Still having a hard time adjusting to loving a band going on 34 years together, being deeply acquainted with their catalog and live shows, and being THIS excited to hear the NEW shit.  When was the last time this happened?!

My ten club seats were pretty sweet (2nd row behind Cubs dugout).  Interesting mix of people around me, lots of people there for the music.  Most of the crowd that I could see was INTO IT all night long, always refreshing. From my vantage point, the energy was palpable start to finish. 

Could have done without the foursome in the row in front of me who apparently came just to talk to each other, but whatever. 
  • YAKIMATSU said:
    Great set. Great show. Mike has been fire all year!
    Please, please can we retire RITFW.
    8 out of 20 shows for me is way too much.
    I'm in the minority on this one, but I really enjoy RITFW. I like the song, but they just seem to have so much fun playing it, especially when they bring others out with them, like Glen's band last night. I have seen it 8 of 21.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,875
    oona left said:
    Last night was stellar. 

Not much to add to what others have said, just want to add a positive voice to counterbalance against the gripes. 

Loved the opening 4, have wanted to hear "Of The Girl" forever.  Loved the main set.  Mike went absolutely scorched earth on a few numbers, just draw dropping.  Loved the encore.  Easily one of the most joyous renditions of RITFW I've experienced; could feel the energy from all directions because everyone knew it was safe to empty the tank and just let it rip.

The new songs sounded great.  Still having a hard time adjusting to loving a band going on 34 years together, being deeply acquainted with their catalog and live shows, and being THIS excited to hear the NEW shit.  When was the last time this happened?!

My ten club seats were pretty sweet (2nd row behind Cubs dugout).  Interesting mix of people around me, lots of people there for the music.  Most of the crowd that I could see was INTO IT all night long, always refreshing. From my vantage point, the energy was palpable start to finish. 

Could have done without the foursome in the row in front of me who apparently came just to talk to each other, but whatever. 
    Great positive review!!