*** Noblesville, IN Fanviews Here 8.26.24 ***

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder isn’t too cool to lean into a pun onstage.
    Before a sold-out crowd at Ruoff Music Center Monday night, the 59-year-old rock star had a bit of fun with the name of the Hamilton County suburb the amphitheater calls home.
    “You look noble, we feel noble, I feel like it’s a night to play distinguished alternative music with complete nobility,” Vedder joked. “Oh, f--- that. Let’s lose our minds.”
    And for two and a half hours, Vedder, his bandmates and 25,000 of their fans did just that. Many in the crowd had been anticipating the concert for well over a year; the show was a rescheduled date, as the original Sept. 10, 2023, stop was postponed due to illness just hours before the performance was to begin.
    Monday was the second night of my Ruoff doubleheader (I spent a delightful Sunday night there on my own time with New Kids on the Block, Paula Abdul and DJ Jazzy Jeff). And while I generally would be loathe to do two outdoor shows back-to-back in sweltering summer heat, I knew to expect something special from the grunge rockers from Seattle.
    Of all the shows I’ve reviewed this summer, Pearl Jam is perhaps the band with whose discography I was least familiar but they have a reputation for putting on high-quality, high-energy shows. And they certainly lived up to those expectations — and then some.
    Here are five of my biggest takeaways from Monday’s Noblesville show.
    Before Pearl Jam, there was Glen Hansard
    And he was amazing.
    The Irish singer-songwriter performed a brief opening set that quickly prompted a text to my best friend to tell them to add him to their playlist. Hansard's music is solid rock that feels more folk influenced than punk or grunge, but it was a perfect prelude for what Pearl Jam had in store. I particularly enjoyed a rousing performance of “When Your Mind’s Made Up,” a song Hansard released with Markéta Irglová for the 2006 film “Once.”
    Then again, anyone who knows me will tell you it’s not surprising I adored an opening act with folk vibes and a fiddle player.
    Eddie Vedder and crew bring album-quality sound to amphitheater
    Not that I was expecting them to sound bad, but I think you’re setting yourself up for failure if you go into a show, especially at an outdoor venue, expecting any artist to sound amazing. Let alone a band that’s been touring for three-plus decades and doing The Absolute Most for every show.
    Vedder’s got pipes, and as far as I could tell, there wasn’t a single miss in his performance. We’re talking album-quality vocals from someone known for his gritty baritone and who easily could’ve blown out his voice years ago had he been doing it wrong.
    For years, I’ve been telling people the best live vocal performance I’ve ever seen was from Chris Stapleton, who I would argue is even better in person than he is on the album. While they’re vastly different performers, after Monday, I think Vedder’s shooting to the top of my list to keep him company.  
    The connection between Pearl Jam and fans is undeniable
    For the entirety of the show, Vedder had the crowd in the palm of his hand.
    In addition to the yearlong wait due to the last-minute rescheduling, Vedder said it had been well over a decade since the band last played the Indy area. So these fans came ready, screaming every syllable from the opening number (“Wash”) to the finale (“Yellow Ledbetter”).
    “I’m not placating when I say this is not a normal crowd,” Vedder said as the encore began. “You’ve been extremely, just f---ing awesome. And if you could see what we are up here … just good faces and good energy, it gives you hope and faith in the human race.”
    And that love appears to go both ways.
    Not only was Vedder responsive to fan requests — including one early in the show from a young kid whose sign said he was allowed to say “the F word” if the band played “Present Tense,” an ask Vedder called “my kinda request” — he dedicated several performances to folks in the Pearl Jam community.
    In one touching moment, Vedder appeared to become emotional as he told the crowd about a fan who he said “feels like family,” and is battling some hardships “with courage.” He invited Hansard onstage for a cover of Hansard’s “Song of Good Hope,” with lyrics promising: “You’ll be fine now / Just stay close to me / And may good hope walk with you through everything.”   
    Dark Matter World Tour production value makes for an impressive audio-visual experience in-concert
    It’s great to have good music and solid performances, but if you can’t see what’s going on, a show can become a bit of a bummer. I’ve been a fan in the lawn at Ruoff and other amphitheaters, relying on an auxiliary screen to help fill out the sensory experience.
    I was not in the lawn Monday, but the onscreen content for the show gave me great confidence that the folks out there weren’t missing a single second. At shows like this, you can expect to have a handful of cameras pointed toward the stage, either tracking the artists or pre-set shots. I don’t expect some 10 or so cameras offering a variety of angles and zooms. I’m talking crisp, clear, black and white visuals that looked like a music video but were captured in real time. Cuts from shot to shot to match the tempo and energy of any given song.
    From what I saw, there wasn’t a single miscue or shot of dead space onstage. There was only one audio mishap that I clocked and that was when bassist Jeff Ament was shouted out and given a moment to introduce himself, but he seemed to have come unplugged. He was strumming, but we heared nothing. Still, they remedied the situation quickly, jumped into “Dark Matter” and we immediately made forgot anything had gone wrong.
    These guys are masters of their craft
    Vedder wasn’t the only artist giving a strong performance Monday night. I was consistently impressed by the quality of the musicianship onstage. Matt Cameron (formerly of Soundgarden) on drums, Stone Gossard on guitar, Ament on bass (sporting a Larry Bird shirt!) and Boom Gaspar on keys — all of them brought their A-Game, serving in-your-face punk/grunge rock on a school night.
    Guitarist Mike McCready performed a stunning solo during “Even Flow,” generating unbelievable energy within the crowd while remaining cool as a cucumber. It’s pretty much expected that a guitarist will pull a face or two while playing, but what if they just… don’t seem to be fazed at all? That’s exactly what McCready did — from playing with the guitar over his head, behind his back to absolutely shredding, he seemed completely zenned out. I don’t know if it’s because he's that chill or he’s just that badass or both.
    For me, a Pearl Jam newbie, to have a show like that be my true intro to the band? The bar’s pretty high now. Monday night may have been my first Pearl Jam show, but it’s hopefully not my last.

Great review for PJ and Glen...

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JadlerJadler Posts: 761
    KC138045 said:
    i don’t know what show you all were at but I thought it was incredible. Seeing previous setlist on this tour I knew what to expect with the new songs that all sounded great btw. The first 6 songs kicked ass and they ended strong with a string of traditional closers.  The crowd was juiced and the band seemed to feed off of us.  
    I agree. Surprised to read some of the comments. Thought it was a fantastic summer night between band and crowd. 
  • exploderballexploderball Posts: 171
    I thought it was great! Upper pavilion was rocking, with everybody around me singing and people dancing. Maybe it was the metal ceiling, but the cheers seemed very, very loud and the band seemed appreciative all night. You could see it in their faces. The Vitalogy-heavy beginning was cool. Ed sang great. I got many repeats in the 3 shows I've been to this year. So what? I get excited about rarities like everybody else, but whoever says a show sucks because there were too many hits, or not enough songs from certain albums needs to wake up and realize that they are lucky to still be watching this band after 33 years. 
  • I thought it was great! Upper pavilion was rocking, with everybody around me singing and people dancing. Maybe it was the metal ceiling, but the cheers seemed very, very loud and the band seemed appreciative all night. You could see it in their faces. The Vitalogy-heavy beginning was cool. Ed sang great. I got many repeats in the 3 shows I've been to this year. So what? I get excited about rarities like everybody else, but whoever says a show sucks because there were too many hits, or not enough songs from certain albums needs to wake up and realize that they are lucky to still be watching this band after 33 years. 
    Everything he said. 

I was one of the people who overflowed from GA into the aisle next to the reserved seats at the direction of the ushers (who were checking wrist bands). On to NYC, Baltimore & Boston.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited August 27
    The weather was awesome, nice and hot but not humid, perfect for an outdoor show. I am still not liking the new shorter sets but we had a fantastic time. Voices gone this morning and we could feel our age :lol: Hubby and I called many of the songs during the ride to the show, which was fun. Almost Vitalogy was super awesome. I also loved the new songs, they all sounded great. The band seemed to be in stellar spirits. It was interesting to see how differently some songs hit for me after living through this past year. I totally loved that we got a trifecta ending, it was perfect in my opinion. LB I could have lived without, but I understod why it was chosen. So glad we hung onto our tickets and get to go to Baltimore still too.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    Jadler said:
    KC138045 said:
    i don’t know what show you all were at but I thought it was incredible. Seeing previous setlist on this tour I knew what to expect with the new songs that all sounded great btw. The first 6 songs kicked ass and they ended strong with a string of traditional closers.  The crowd was juiced and the band seemed to feed off of us.  
    I agree. Surprised to read some of the comments. Thought it was a fantastic summer night between band and crowd. 
    Yup. Agree
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited August 27

yeah I was surprised to see it scratched but I would have expected DM anyway...kind of odd. Scratching UH and keeping Stevie would have been great.

I personally LOVE UH and care less for Stevie, so I was happy it went how it did haha
  • Very enthusiastic review of the show in IndyStar- basically it says “holy fuck Pearl Jam is awesome.” Dude is one of us now. Nice to see this stuff through the fresh eyes of a newbie! 
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-08.26
  • keeponrisinkeeponrisin Posts: 109
    That Larry shirt of Jeff's was great! Or two as he either changed or turned it around I believe. 
  • That Larry shirt of Jeff's was great! Or two as he either changed or turned it around I believe. 
    Agreed! I noticed that from the get-go. Bird's face on the front and #33 on the back (or was it other way around lol). Sycamores represented!

07/28/1992 - Cincinnati
    07/11/1998 - Las Vegas
    07/22/2006 - The Gorge
    04/26/2016 - Lexington
    08/08/2018 - Seattle
    08/10/2018 - Seattle
    08/20/2018 - Wrigley Field
    04/02/2020 - Nashville
    09/16/2022 - Nashville
  • NSLNSL Posts: 293
    First time getting to photo PJ and my 10th show - https://musiccitymusicmag.com/pearl-jam-returns-to-noblesville-in-after-a-14-year-absence/
    (Not a professional reviewer by any means)
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    2024-08-26 - Noblesville, IN
  • Jcanr20Jcanr20 Posts: 159
    edited August 28
    Jadler said:
    KC138045 said:
    Agree 100%. Seems like there's this group of ten clubbers that aren't going to like anything unless we turn back the clock to 1995. They put on a great show full of a lot of energy. Ed was working/singing his ass off up there and the band sounds great.

As far as the old people in the pit. Give me a break, with the heat of the day you're bound to have a few people pass out regardless of age or whether it's a Pearl Jam concert or county fair etc. We really want to limit pit access to a lower age group? There wouldn't be anyone in the pit!
  • JD87070JD87070 Posts: 253
    Amazing show! Was second row at the corner of the mini-extended center stage on Jeff and Mike’s side. Eddie handed me his lighter, my son got a pick from Eddie and we each got one from Mike and we both got a signed Polaroid from Mike at the end. And i handed Eddie a bracelet honoring my cousins who have passed away during Yellow Ledbetter and he put it on. Just unbelievable night. Here’s some of the pics i got.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,759
    Amazing photos!
  • Great concert, my 9th.  I'm a local so it was easy in/out for me, knowing local roads.  I'm just happy they're still touring at this stage in their career.  They have earned to play whatever they want to.  Always love hearing Wash open a show.  loved hearing Not for You.  Last time i heard that, i missed cause i was in line at concessions at wrigley in '18.  Do the Evolution was on fire.  The Dark Matter songs are good.  Hearing Alive NEVER gets old.  I get a little emotional anymore hearing that cause you never know when it's gonna be over.  Baba is always awesome.  seeing some of negative reviews is funny!  some people in this fanbase are as bad as DMB fans when complaining what is played vs what wasn't.  Enjoy every moment with this band!   Oh, i about lost it when Mike teased soundgarden's superunknown!!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,159
    JD87070 said:
    Amazing show! Was second row at the corner of the mini-extended center stage on Jeff and Mike’s side. Eddie handed me his lighter, my son got a pick from Eddie and we each got one from Mike and we both got a signed Polaroid from Mike at the end. And i handed Eddie a bracelet honoring my cousins who have passed away during Yellow Ledbetter and he put it on. Just unbelievable night. Here’s some of the pics i got.
    Nice scores. Sure it will be an unforgettable night for both. Wow!!
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,349
    Amazing photos!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,159
    Was going to throw out my ripped jeans until I saw that picture of Mike. Now I need to rip a few more holes in them.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,552
    This confirms ed still smokes . Just to put that one to bed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 204
    edited August 28
    Sec A Row S.   15th show.   

While I was expecting something extra-extraordinary after the postponement from last year, I have zero complaints about the entire weekend.   We stayed downtown Indy and visited a couple distilleries, a couple breweries, and ate at a lot of great restaurants.  We had Premier Parking so it was super easy to get in and out of the venue. I’ve been to a lot of outdoor venues, and I was very impressed by Ruoff. Lots of options for food and drink.  Staff was super, super friendly.   

As far as the set list, indeed, the first six songs were barnburners.  While I wish there were more deeper tracks instead of seven Dark Matter tunes, it was still great to hear their new music.  From our perspective near the stage, the crowd was very energetic. Everybody was singing and dancing and getting along.   High energy.   

I do want to acknowledge two guys that had the seats in front of my wife and me.   My wife is 5 foot 1.   When PJ took the stage and everyone stood, they turned around and saw how short she was and the taller guy switched seats with the shorter guy.   A+ move. 

Overall, I give the entire weekend a B+.  Seeing Pearl Jam in the flesh is better than sitting at home…or doing just about anything else.  =)
    Post edited by Dr. Matt on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    JD87070 said:

wow! great stuff

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    but not on stage! he used to take a smoke break during Porch

Maybe giving away his lighter was him quitting? 😂
  • Markb79Markb79 Posts: 1
    My first pit... amazing experience.  About five people back, just behind JD87070 with his pics above.  Got an air fist bump from Eddie due to my Easy Street shirt (at least I think it was for me!). Mike's solo during Black was the highlight for me.  I watched somebody's YouTube video of it this morning and was still blown away.  Man, I love this band...  

My only minor complaint was the lack of places open after midnight nearby to celebrate a great show with other fans, but after standing in the heat for hours, heading back to the hotel probably wasn't a bad thing.  Looking forward to both Philly shows and Boston N1!
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 981
    Great show. Pit was way too tight though. 

More later. 
    Yeah, I was in Sect A, Row N and people were standing in the walkway going down to the pit. Not sure if they had pit tickets or if security just said "F it" and let them stand there. Made it a PITA to get in/out of the row for a restroom break. I got there when Glen was about two songs in, and the pit already looked like a can of sardines. People did not look comfortable. But agree...awesome show and lots of audience interaction. So glad I was able to attend. Now it's off to Wrigley Thursday night!

I was one of the people overflowing out of the Pit. I definitely had Pit tickets, a wrist band and the guy at the entrance was doing everything he could. I did not see one person in front or beside me that didn't have a Pit wrist band. 

Also, as you know from sitting in the pavilion, everyone had to have a wrist band to even get under the pavilion. So unless you looked around and saw empty seats (which I didn't), I don't believe people were rushing the Pit area. 

I just think they oversold it unfortunately.  
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 8/26/24
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    JD87070 said:
    Awesome photos. You were right behind me. 
    edited August 28
    This was my first show of the tour after London and Berlin were cancelled. I was so excited to be there. I had rail right in front of Jeff. I thought the setlist was great. For the new songs, I am not a fan of Wreckage, but loved Running and Scared of Fear. Setting Sun live is so beautiful it almost made me cry. I could hear that for every show. Some people didn’t like Lightning Bolt. I really like that song and hadn’t heard it in a while - so that was fun for me. The band seemed happy and most importantly healthy. Ed didn’t seem to be as out of breath as I have seen at some shows. While he did talk a bit - he also kept the talking comparatively at a minimum. They all seemed so happy to be there. I also got a tambourine during Baba (Maybe because I was wearing a WHO shirt). Also got some Mike picks and a signed Polaroid. Can’t wait for MSG. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    GlowGirl said:
    JD87070 said:
    Yeah i recognize you from your profile pic. You got great shots too! I cheat and bring in a pocket-sized but high quality point and shoot camera, those are really good phone pics!
    Were you the one that got the tambourine that bounced off the security guy’s head?
    edited August 28
    JD87070 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    JD87070 said:
    Yeah i recognize you from your profile pic. You got great shots too! I cheat and bring in a pocket-sized but high quality point and shoot camera, those are really good phone pics!
    Were you the one that got the tambourine that bounced off the security guy’s head?
    Nice idea to use a point and shoot. That was me! Before that, Ed acknowledged my shirt and gave a tambourine to the security guard and pointed at me - but a kid ran up and security guard gave it to the kid. The guard said to me - "it was a kid - what was I supposed to do?" Right after that another one comes whipping my way and bounced off the security guard's head. Luckily I was able to catch that one myself.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    GlowGirl said:
    JD87070 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    JD87070 said:
    Nice idea to use a point and shoot. That was me! Before that, Ed acknowledged my shirt and gave a tambourine to the security guard and pointed at me - but a kid ran up and security guard gave it to the kid. The guard said to me - "it was a kid - what was I supposed to do?" Right after that another one comes whipping my way and bounced off the security guard's head. Luckily I was able to catch that one myself.

Hahaha that is awesome!
    hippiemom = goodness