Opening Band: Glen Hansard

Walk On Music: Dark Entree
Band Onstage 08:33
Band Offstage 11:06

Set List
01. Given To Fly
02. Nothing As It Seems
03. Low Light

(They are especially excited to be here for Jon Tester.  He asks for the crowd to thank Jeff for having the band here.)

04. Why Go
05. Corduroy

(Ed mentions crowd size noting that it is triple the size of a gathering in Bozeman a few weeks ago. He talks about a couple that was letting people camp on their property since there were no hotels available in town. Dedicates the next song to Big Sandy, Jeff’s small hometown.)

06. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
07. Scared Of Fear
08. React, Respond
09. Wreckage
10. Even Flow

(The next song dedicated to Adam Nelson and Jeff Walsh, both left their respective hospital beds to come to the show.  Ed ask the audience to send healing energy to these two men.)

11. Hard To Imagine /(Ed sings “Let Us Not Fade/ Let Us Not Fade” the closing lyric from “Setting Sun” off the Dark Matter album)-10 seconds

12. Dark Matter

(Dedicates the next song to George and Penny, Jeff’s parents. Thanks them for creating such a great person, good friend and great songwriter.  Like this next one.)

13. Won’t Tell
14. Upper Hand
15. Jeremy
16. Gimme Some Truth-(Lennon)

(Democracy is precious.  Our fate is in our hands. We are asking you to choose the obvious, which is freedom.  A QR code is displayed on video screens so people can pledge to vote.)

17.  Porch

Encore break

(Ed dedicates the next song to his wife and to the mother he spotted during Porch who was jumping up and down with her son on her shoulders.  An amazing feat)

18. Her Majesty-(Lennon, McCartney)
19. Just Breathe w/ Lukas Nelson (duet vocals and acoustic guitar)
20. Smile w/ Glen Hansard (duet vocals and electric guitar)
21. Wasted Reprise (Ed discusses and reminisces over the music before singing the song)
22. Life Wasted

(Jeff addresses the audience and speaks to his thanks and appreciation of friends and family, band included. He also talks about growing up knowing Jon Tester and if you can trust anybody you can trust Tester.  He is local not a transplant.)

23. Do The Evolution
24. Setting Sun
25. Alive
26. Rocking In The Free World-(Young) w/ Glen Hansard, Lukas Nelson and other guests

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,174
    Just checking in, looks like a great setlist! Welcome back PJ. November can’t come soon enough. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Lukas Nelson!
  • manitoumanmanitouman Posts: 1,085
    edited August 23
      :open_mouth:
    Whoa!
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,856
    Nice to see the longer show back. 
  • pearljamnewfpearljamnewf Posts: 233
    The giant video screens are looking very good on the one posted youtube vid this morning. Exciting times.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,913
    As Ed mentioned the band played with purpose last night. Well rested and excited to play again.

Thank you Missoula. What a fantastic show.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • genxgirlgenxgirl Posts: 14
    Great show! For anyone who saw my kid carrying a praying mantis out off the GA floor, this is the story:

During RITFW, I spotted the mantis crawling around on the floor (thanks Ed and Kieley (sp?) for the lights!

My kid scooped up the little one and held onto it, letting it crawl on his arms during the last song, and then allllll the way out to a merch tent in near some trees. 

THEN, we met a person in the merch line who was on the opposite side of the pit who told us that the mantis had landed on him and various family members. 

Mantis is my new hero, a true survivor like all of us...just needed a lift out of a bad situation.

Take care of yourselves and each other. Mantis will be watching. 

PS if anyone else has pix, please post! 

Love and kisses, see you in Chicago.

I'd smile, but who am I kidding?
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,875
    Last night was incredible. Band / Ed sounded best I have heard them in 10 years. Highlights for me were Given to fly, Hard to imagine, Smile, NAIS and the Dark Matter songs. Upper hand and DM really stood out. Cool to see Jeff get the mic and looked emotional when giving his speech. Place sounded great, was pretty loud, ears still ringing this morning. Crowd was pretty good but some of you in the GA look like you have cement in your shoes. Can’t imagine going to a concert and not moving at all but it was a long day in the sun. Overall 9/10 and again this band never disappoints, 33.5 years later and still going strong. Loved Ed’s speech on crowd size . Glen was easily the best opening band I have ever seen pj play with. He was awesome. Great night. Thanks PJ!!!!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    edited August 23
    so they did 17 of the 24 songs (from the shirt) here....pretty close
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,551
    Any interesting lyric changes in GST?
  • JW174247JW174247 Posts: 2
    Anyone else unfortunate enough to have tickets in Section 109 last night? They sold tickets for an entire section and then “closed” it just prior to the show (you could technically sit in your seat and face a giant wall). I paid a pretty penny to have 6th row on StubHub and the venue’s solution was to provide tickets on the other end of the stadium.

Incredibly poor planning and handled terribly as we sat in line for over an hour. Wondering what type of recourse there is or if anyone else has found a resolution.
    ‘92: Denver, CO  //  ‘93: Boulder, CO  //  ‘94: Denver, CO  //  ‘95: Morrison, CO  //  ’95: Morrison, CO  //  ‘98: Denver, CO  //  ‘00: Las Vegas, NV (10 Anniversary)  //  ‘03: Denver, CO  //  ‘06: Denver, CO  //  ‘06: Denver, CO  //  ‘09: Chicago, IL  //  ‘09: Chicago, IL   //  ‘12: EV Solo, Austin, TX  //  ‘12: EV Solo, Austin, TX  //  ‘13: Philadelphia, PA  //  ‘14: Lincoln, NE  //  ‘14: Denver, CO  //  ‘16: NY, NY  //  ‘16: NY, NY  //  ‘16: Chicago, IL  //  16: Chicago, IL  //  '17: EV Solo, Dana Point, CA  //  '19: EV Solo, Tempe, AZ  //  '21: EV Solo, Dana Point, CA  //  '21: EV Solo, Dana Point, CA  //  '21: Dana Point, CA  //  '21: Dana Point, CA  //  '22: Oakland, CA  //  '22: Oakland, CA  //  '22: Denver, CO  //  '22: Denver, CO
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,145
    Looks like another stadium show that felt like a special occasion! Love to see it. High hopes for Wrigley and Fenway.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Just stopped a few minutes ago:

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,415
    100 Pacer said:

That is amazing!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376

21. Wasted Reprise (Ed discuses and reminisces over the music before singing the song)

I guess Ed was really inspired by the Olympics...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    Nice to see the longer show back. 
    2:33-- not really that much different than what they've been doing (most recent non-festival show was 2:21). 26 songs seems longer, but two of those songs-- "Her Majesty" and "Wasted Reprise"-- are 79 seconds long combined. (Note: I am fine with the length of the recent shows. It's about quality, not quantity.)
  • KC48939KC48939 Posts: 46
    I missed seeing Pearl Jam in Missoula in the '90s but have been to all their shows here since 2003. This was my 36th show and my first since Wrigley 2018. Gotta admit I teared up when they started with Given To Fly and that beautiful video of the river, the mountain, and Missoula. Super special night for Missoula, and for Jeff, and for everyone who was there last night. I've traveled around the country and the world to see them and am so lucky they come to the town I live in to play every few years. <3

• withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors Posts: 491
    edited August 23
    Absolutely beautiful show, setting, and all around vibe last night. We were interlopers :) from out of state and met so many friendly people locals and travelers. I love the new album so much and was beyond excited to hear Won’t Tell, figuring if any place would get it, it was Missoula. 

Glen is my favorite opening act by far. Saw him open for Ed in 2011 and have loved him since. 

Last night was two weeks since I lost my younger sister to breast cancer (she was only 42). Hard to Imagine got me and Just Breathe wrecked me. Loved every minute though. Thanks for the beautiful memories, Missoula. 
    Post edited by withflyingcolors on
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    100 Pacer said:

What highway?
    What city?
    What state? 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    100 Pacer said:

What highway?
    What city?
    What state? 
    2 hours East of Missoula.

Scenery on the Yield cover.

• PJ5a1PJ5a1 Posts: 446
    100 Pacer said:

This is amazing - great picture with so much meaning behind it
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,497
    100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:

What highway?
    What city?
    What state? 
    2 hours East of Missoula.

Scenery on the Yield cover.
    Yeah, Im not that senile, I realized it was Yield. hahahaha
    But all these years I never would have known where exactly that picture was taken. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    Damn it’s dead here. Not even on page 2! Where are the reviews!! Cmon. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    Absolutely beautiful show, setting, and all around vibe last night. We were interlopers :) from out of state and met so many friendly people locals and travelers. I love the new album so much and was beyond excited to hear Won’t Tell, figuring if any place would get it, it was Missoula. 

Glen is my favorite opening act by far. Saw him open for Ed in 2011 and have loved him since. 

Last night was two weeks since I lost my younger sister to breast cancer (she was only 42). Hard to Imagine got me and Just Breathe wrecked me. Loved every minute though. Thanks for the beautiful memories, Missoula. 
    Oh man... I'm so sorry for your loss. 42 is way too f'ing young.

I'm happy you were able to both enjoy last night and grieve at the same time. 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 899
    Sounds like it was a great show.  Judging by the setlist post, looks like there was a LOT of talking between songs.  Curious if that took away from the flow of the show with so much startt/stop?
    mcgruff10 said:
    100 Pacer said:

That is amazing!  
    I remember when I saw that someone had figured out exactly where the highway interchange on the OK Computer cover is, and that I had driven on it many times, my head nearly exploded. This is also cool. 
  • WW187806WW187806 Posts: 561
    does anyone ever take the time to do (we used to, I do when I can) an actual song by song cool review? we are so lazy. 5 horizons did this for years,  I see questions about banter etc.... thanks @Kat and @Sea and yea @dimitrispearljam among others for the efforting here, but surely jammers we can do better!

I remember doing this in hotel rooms the night after!! Ill pitch in for MSG 1 and Philly 1 :)
  • symptomsfadesymptomsfade Posts: 239
    Anyone know what Glen Hansard played last night?  Time he went on?   
  • How do the hardcore fans find these setlist?  Seems many of my favourite hard hitting songs are missed from the setlists show after show. 
  • Anyone know what Glen Hansard played last night?  Time he went on?   
    I'm pretty sure he went on right around 7 or 7:05. I don't really know his catalog by name ("When Your Mind's Made Up" was phenomenal), but I was pretty blown away by his performance. Looking forward to seeing him again Thursday at Wrigley and may even go see him Wednesday at The Salt Shed.
    1996: Randall's Island 9/28, 9/29
    2000: Saratoga Springs 8/27
    2013: Brooklyn 10/19
    2016: Tampa 4/11, Jacksonville 4/13
    2024: Missoula 8/22