Options

Where to stay in Chicago for Aug 31 PJconcert?

RodrigoDuRodrigoDu Posts: 140
Dear Jammers,

I'm headed to Chicago with my 11-yr old kid (his first ever PJ Concert and my fisrt in Chicago!)
We are staying a couple of nights for the concert and go visit the city.
Which hotels do you recommend?  either close to Wrigley or good spots in downtown?  also, unmissable places to eat!

Thanks!

Du 
"The ocean's made me, but who came up with love?"

D.C. '00
West Palm Beach '03
Tampa '03
Philadelphia '03
Albany '03
Mexico City 1,2,3 '03
Pittsburgh '06
Cincinnati '06
NYC 2 '10
Costa Rica '11
Mexico City '15
Dana Point '21
Chicago 2 '24
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    chispider22chispider22 Posts: 18
    If you're flying into O'Hare, I would get a hotel out there and then you could just hop on the blue line train and see the rest of the city. All the hotels around Wrigley or close to downtown will be more expensive than the ones by the airport.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,598
    edited June 26
    The Congress Plaza is downtown across from Grant Park. It is an older hotel, but it is pretty reasonable and close to the red line train that will take you up to Wrigley. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 365
    We’re staying at the Ritz on the magnificent mile. We have family in the condos above. 8/31 is my 40th and we will have our 6 mo old girl in tow. Not to the show obviously. She will hang with grandma and grandpa while mom and dad rock out! But, I have her PJ onesie ready to roll. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,396
    I'll recommend visiting museums and/or zoos, depending on your kid's interests. The Field Museum is awesome; the Shedd Aquarium and the planetarium are within walking distance from the Field. I haven't been to the Museum of Science and Industry in forever, but my kids loved it when they were younger. Chicago also has great zoos and the Art Institute of Chicago, which has an amazing art collection (admittedly not every eleven-year-old boy's idea of a good time, but it's a great collection). 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,527
    dwjmu84 said:
    We’re staying at the Ritz on the magnificent mile. We have family in the condos above. 8/31 is my 40th and we will have our 6 mo old girl in tow. Not to the show obviously. She will hang with grandma and grandpa while mom and dad rock out! But, I have her PJ onesie ready to roll. 
    He did not ask what you were doing.. he asked where he might stay. Sounds like you're bragging....
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    Yeah I'd definitely stay downtown somewhere near the Red Line so you can take that right to Wrigley for the shows.  And I second that comment about the museums here.  Some amazing stuff.

If you're going full tourist mode and want to eat deep dish pizza, go with Lou Malnati's. It's the best!
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,934

If you're going full tourist mode and want to eat deep dish pizza, go with Lou Malnati's. It's the best!
    Absolutely. This is always a must go to when I am in Chicago. Will be making a stop there sometime in the weekend this year. 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,506
    Near the airport is cheaper and closer to the venue, however, there isn’t a great train link without going through downtown to my knowledge and then it’s almost an hour more out to OHare after changing lines.  So downtown is probably the best unless someone knows of a good link from Wrigley to OHare after the show? There’s basically nowhere to stay near Wrigley.  Maybe one hotel that is either sold out or $800 per night or something stupid like that.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    RodrigoDu said:
    Dear Jammers,

I'm headed to Chicago with my 11-yr old kid (his first ever PJ Concert and my fisrt in Chicago!)
    We are staying a couple of nights for the concert and go visit the city.
    Which hotels do you recommend?  either close to Wrigley or good spots in downtown?  also, unmissable places to eat!

Thanks!

Du 
    Look for a place near the Chicago Theatre....lots of shit around there and easy access to the trains
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 301
    edited June 27
    I would recommend staying out by the airport and renting a car. You’ll pay a bit to park but spot hero usually has event pricing with 5-6 blocks of Wrigley about $45-55. The red line is great going north of downtown so if you get a downtown hotel you don’t need a car.  

Lou’s for Pizza. Portillo’s for Italian Beef.  
    Shedd and Field Museum
    architectural River Tours
    Beers before at any of the neighborhood bars around Wrigley.  
    Post edited by Hankj25 on
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,295
    Do not stay out by the airport, or any suburb. You’re coming to Chicago and a concert at Wrigley, stay in the city. I would suggest anywhere in the mag mile area. Close walk to the trains, museums and tons of restaurants. Try deep dish, just to say you did. Go to the shed aquarium with your 11 year old. Tons to do.
  • Options
    Do the architecture river tour
  • Options
    What is your 11 year old into?
  • Options
    Do not stay out by the airport, or any suburb. You’re coming to Chicago and a concert at Wrigley, stay in the city. I would suggest anywhere in the mag mile area. Close walk to the trains, museums and tons of restaurants. Try deep dish, just to say you did. Go to the shed aquarium with your 11 year old. Tons to do.
    Thank you!  My head was starting to spin reading these suggestions to stay by O'Hare.  Do it right and stay downtown and enjoy the city in the summer!
  • Options
    Jim TresselJim Tressel Posts: 133
    Not OP (but he may benefit from question), but what does anyone know about Wicker Park area? I have lots of Hyatt points that is the closest one to Wrigley Field.  
    Good area? Thanks. 
  • Options
    Not OP (but he may benefit from question), but what does anyone know about Wicker Park area? I have lots of Hyatt points that is the closest one to Wrigley Field.  
    Good area? Thanks. 
    Yeah it's a cool area.  Plenty of good bars/restaurants.  More of a neighborhood feel than staying downtown.  
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    He did not ask what you were doing.. he asked where he might stay. Sounds like you're bragging....
    Boy, you sound like a miserable soul.  It's clear that I'm offering this as an option, and as another has posted in this thread, mag mile is a good spot to stay.

Grow up.
  • Options
    RodrigoDuRodrigoDu Posts: 140
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! This is really helpful! We will do a bunch of these activities and eats.  Is it worth going to see the Cubs?    
    "The ocean's made me, but who came up with love?"

D.C. '00
    West Palm Beach '03
    Tampa '03
    Philadelphia '03
    Albany '03
    Mexico City 1,2,3 '03
    Pittsburgh '06
    Cincinnati '06
    NYC 2 '10
    Costa Rica '11
    Mexico City '15
    Dana Point '21
    Chicago 2 '24
  • Options
    Good area? Thanks. 
    Wicker park is great. That hotel however is somewhat out of the neighborhood. Not much directly around it. You’ll need to walk a bit to get into the really good spot. Not far, and it’s safe but it’s kinda on an island. You also won’t be close to the train that runs to wrigley. 
  • Options
    RodrigoDu said:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! This is really helpful! We will do a bunch of these activities and eats.  Is it worth going to see the Cubs?    
    Are you staying until Monday? Two events at wrigley only if you’re big cubs fan. Too much good stuff in the city to spend two nights at wrigley IMO.
  • Options
    flanosmasseurflanosmasseur Posts: 217
    Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn (Downtown/Mag Mile) in 2018 and staying there again this year. When you walk out the front entrance, turn to your right and there's a Metro entrance (Red Line) about 50 feet away that will take you to Wrigley (Addison station). Not sure about this year but we left during the encore in '18 and there was still a s*** ton of people waiting for the next train...so be ready to wait.
    07/28/1992 - Cincinnati
    07/11/1998 - Las Vegas
    07/22/2006 - The Gorge
    04/26/2016 - Lexington
    08/08/2018 - Seattle
    08/10/2018 - Seattle
    08/20/2018 - Wrigley Field
    04/02/2020 - Nashville
    09/16/2022 - Nashville
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,506
    Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn (Downtown/Mag Mile) in 2018 and staying there again this year. When you walk out the front entrance, turn to your right and there's a Metro entrance (Red Line) about 50 feet away that will take you to Wrigley (Addison station). Not sure about this year but we left during the encore in '18 and there was still a s*** ton of people waiting for the next train...so be ready to wait.
    Always a shitshow to get the subway after the show there.  Pro tip - ensure to purchase your return fare earlier in the day to avoid a crazy lineup to buy at the end.  (Unless it’s all gone electronic/app now.)
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Another vote for Lou Malnatis. I’ll always prefer NY style above all else, but it’s amazing deep dish pie. Mouth is watering now just typing this.
  • Options
    Daner90Daner90 Posts: 75
    I'm so happy I booked my hotel a few months ago. My hotel has gone up by $500 total for the 3 nights I am staying. Phew 
  • Options
    Only reason I mentioned O Hare was money, if you have no budget, don’t do that.  I absolutely recommend staying in the city, River North area, easy access to Red Line. 
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    Stay for the whole show.  Go get one drink at one of the bars outside Wrigley (Murphy’s is one block from the red line).  By the time you walk up to the station, 4-5 trains will have come and gone, and your wait will be less than 10 minutes and it won’t be sardines.  
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,317
    Do the architecture river tour
    Definitely do this!!!

Also, my wife and I have traveled to Chicago twice for shows.  We stayed at The Omni on Michigan Ave. both times. perfect location!.  Easy train access to anything that’s not walkable.