Options

*** DUBLIN - 2024 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,259
    Why so many people upset about the setlist if they weren’t even there? 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,460
    As long as they keep the setlist crabbin' in the setlist thread. Agree or disagree it's a valid discussion.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,259
    pjl44 said:
    As long as they keep the setlist crabbin' in the setlist thread. Agree or disagree it's a valid discussion.
    Fair!   I always liked the roll -in setlist feed! maybe this set is unlikely to be reflective of tour going going forward. 
    There last night, 11th show. atmosphere was great,  and Eruption, React,Respond, Jeremy were brilliant. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,531
    edited June 23
    Having an opinion that a setlist is below average relative to other Pearl Jam setlists doesn't mean I'm upset about it. Even if they played the worst Pearl Jam setlist imaginable it's still a Pearl Jam show so I'd be happy to be there. But I'd feel some disappointment that it wasn't one of the best Pearl Jam shows I've ever seen, even if it was better than 99% of the concerts I've ever attended. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,185
    Boy, some of you all are sensitive little fuckers. Nobody said it wasn’t a great show. Sorry if on paper some of us don’t love one setlist.  Also doesn’t mean we aren’t appreciative of the fact that they’re still around, putting out fantastic records and touring. BUT it is a legitimate discussion that playing an entire set of hits is not why a ton of us long time fans travel all over and spend a shit ton of money on multiple shows. 
  • Options
    GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,128
    Be the band for a minute.
    Write the setlist for last night show, and then we can judge and comment.

its not as easy as it seems, lot of factors to be considered each night.
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 454
    Boy, some of you all are sensitive little fuckers. Nobody said it wasn’t a great show. Sorry if on paper some of us don’t love one setlist.  Also doesn’t mean we aren’t appreciative of the fact that they’re still around, putting out fantastic records and touring. BUT it is a legitimate discussion that playing an entire set of hits is not why a ton of us long time fans travel all over and spend a shit ton of money on multiple shows. 
    Unfortunately there are a vocal subset of people who refuse to accept any criticism of the band … and they somehow think it makes them better fans to be that way.

if I get this set Wrigley I will have a great time and be disappointed… it’s possible for both to coexist
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 306

NA tour setlists were fantastic. They were on to a good thing with that formula and there was no need to change.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,185
    Discopij said:
    Unfortunately there are a vocal subset of people who refuse to accept any criticism of the band … and they somehow think it makes them better fans to be that way.

if I get this set Wrigley I will have a great time and be disappointed… it’s possible for both to coexist
    Right?!?! 

There is almost no doubt I would’ve had a great time at this show but left with some disappointment in the fact they didn’t play one song that I would love to hear other than the DM songs. And I’m not talking about super rare stuff either. I’m talking…
    Smile
    Present Tense
    Grievance
    Immortality. 
    Etc. 

And again, it’s just one set. I’m sure they’ll get back to the NA tour format which I thought had a nice variety mostly 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,783
    I could write a set list right now  no problem GhostChile said:

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,934
    edited June 23
    Yesterday Pearl Jam played some of the greatest songs written by any band. Pearl Jam played 7 songs off of an album called TEN. TEN is often considered to be the greatest debut album, by an American band, in the history of rock n roll.

Yet some consider last nights setlist a total disaster.

Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,662
    Yesterday Pearl Jam played some of the greatest songs written by any band. Pearl Jam played 7 songs off of an album called TEN. TEN is often considered to be the greatest debut album, by an American band, in the history or rock n roll.

Preach.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,176
    Dude on fb is saying GA wasn't sold out 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,934
    Yesterday Pearl Jam played some of the greatest songs written by any band. Pearl Jam played 7 songs off of an album called TEN. TEN is often considered to be the greatest debut album, by an American band, in the history or rock n roll.

Preach.  
    Yesterday in Dublin, Pearl Jam played 15 -20 of the greatest rock songs ever written. Pearl Jam had a 2 hour show that 90% of the fans in attendance, knew the words, to a vast majority of the songs performed. Therefore 90% of those in attendance sang and danced all night, to the most popular songs their favorite band has ever recorded. 

Yet some people consider last nights setlist a disaster. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,245

Preach.  
    Yesterday in Dublin, Pearl Jam played 15 -20 of the greatest rock songs ever written. Pearl Jam had a 2 hour show that 90% of the fans in attendance, knew the words, to a vast majority of the songs performed. Therefore 90% of those in attendance sang and danced all night, to the most popular songs their favorite band has ever recorded. 

Yet some people consider last nights setlist a disaster. 
    ^^ this

Was it my ideal setlist no

Was it a great setlist for that night yes 
  • Options
    Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 479

We all could! 

Enjoy the moment.

Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,894
    Yesterday Pearl Jam played some of the greatest songs written by any band. Pearl Jam played 7 songs off of an album called TEN. TEN is often considered to be the greatest debut album, by an American band, in the history of rock n roll.

Appetite for Destruction is often considered the greatest debut album by an American band in the history of rock-and-roll. Maybe the happy medium is for Pearl Jam to play "Nightrain," "My Michelle" and so forth. I would definitely see that show.

I don't have any complaints about the set list. I wasn't there and can't judge what the experience was like for people who were there. But I can understand why someone might be disappointed to walk into a show in 2024 by a band with a 200-songs-wide, 33-years-long catalog and hear a lot of songs that they could have (and likely did) hear in 1993 or 1997. That's definitely not what I'm hoping to hear when I see Pearl Jam in 2024. At the same time, I know that there are some people for whom those songs are the main attraction, and I don't begrudge them their excitement to hear them.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    edited June 24
    13 eddie poem
    Oh! To land in Dublin
    With Eddie Burns on the aisle
    I don't have to drink tonight
    Knowing tomorrow I'll be doing the drinking for a while

There's a full Moon flying over Ireland
    And briefly all seems right in this world
    These are the moments you'd like for to last
    Like a first date with your Forever girl

And the winds they ain't even blowing
    And the rains are somehow far away
    The face of this city is glowing
    An awareness of the rareness of the day

Wherever I am, if I'm with you
    I've always got a room with a view
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    TheGManTheGMan Cork Posts: 54
    I'm still on cloud 9 after the Marlay Park show. Wow.
    For the record and from an Irish context, as far as I can tell the setlist featured:

6 new album songs never played in Ireland
    Scared of Fear
    React, Respond
    Wreckage
    Dark Matter
    Upper Hand
    Setting Sun

2 new covers never played in Ireland
    Eruption
    Keep Me in Your Heart

16 songs not played the last time they played Ireland 14 years ago

6 DM tunes + 2 new covers
    Release
    Low Light
    Eruption
    Wishlist
    Daughter
    Jeremy
    Rockin' in the Free World
    Black

Pearl Jam have only played Ireland 7 times, 1 of those a support for Neil Young so only 6 full shows. 6. To put it in perspective, Pearl Jam have only played Rockin' in the Free World once in Ireland. So for those of us Irish fans not been fortunate enough to be able to travel, hearing these tunes on this soil meant a lot and the band gave them everything. So the setlist was tailored for Irish fans, and I would have thought six Dark Matter tunes would have been enough to balance out "the hits". 

Songs played in Ireland:

2010: Dublin
    2024: Dublin

2017: Cork (EV)
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,668
    That’s the take right there @theGman - the band thought of & put the locals first & not the fans who travel to see multiple shows per tour. Which is how it should be.

Eddie was particularly emotional on Saturday, and the band seemed to love the opportunity to be finally playing there again. That show will hold a special place in my heart among the others I’ve seen based on crowd and band energy alone. (Outside of Hartford ‘13, I’m hard pressed to think of another show that had as much energy / elicited that kind of response from the band… maybe Fenway 2 in ‘16)
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,762
    Seems like a good show for the locals. Terrible show to travel to. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    TheGManTheGMan Cork Posts: 54
    There seems to be three types of opinions on this. 
    1. Us locals, who loved it.
    2. Non-locals that travelled, who loved it.
    3. Everyone else, who are glad they didn't go as they are confident it would have been a "terrible show to travel to".

So everyone is happy in the end.

2010: Dublin
    2024: Dublin

2017: Cork (EV)
  • Options
    Having traveled from the states for it, and being my 23rd show, I couldn’t disagree more. 
  • Options
    Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 479
    What??? It was well worth the effort! 
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,574
    Jesus, I would love to have able to travel to Ireland for ANY show, let alone my favorite band. 

If I'm going to Ireland, Im not expecting to hear Brother, Alone, or Dead Man. 

That was a great setlist.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Considering the time and expense of travel to see a band, the setlist on its own can't possibly impact your overall experience all that much. That would be batshit insane.
  • Options
    I recognize it's easy to make that point when debating on the internet but still
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Considering the time and expense of travel to see a band, the setlist on its own can't possibly impact your overall experience all that much. That would be batshit insane.
    It will be interesting to see how the Manchester crowd and set are tomorrow night as compared to Dublin, considering both the fact they’ve played England more recently and the whole ticket price debacle.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    It will be interesting to see how the Manchester crowd and set are tomorrow night as compared to Dublin, considering both the fact they’ve played England more recently and the whole ticket price debacle.
    Gotta be a 3.5 hour set to create a you shoulda been there scenario 
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,245
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Gotta be a 3.5 hour set to create a you shoulda been there scenario 
    That will be London 😀