How early to show up question

carbonezcarbonez Posts: 79
I am taking my son to his first show in London.  We have GA front tickets. How early do you think I need to be in line to get him a view from the rail.  He is pretty short and would like if he could see.  :). Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959
    In US a shot at rail is easily the night before. Not sure how young your son is. Might be hard to camp out on line with him. Just have fun. Throw him on your shoulders and ev will get him a tambo!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    London rail will be huge. It's a stadium. But kids on the rail is not a great idea
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,618
    carbonez said:
    I am taking my son to his first show in London.  We have GA front tickets. How early do you think I need to be in line to get him a view from the rail.  He is pretty short and would like if he could see.  :). Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
    2 days
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    carbonez said:
    I have not been to this stadium so I don’t know how long the rail is. But in my other experiences people will start lining up a few days before. But if it is a big rail, maybe the day before. 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    carbonez said:
    Yeah to be certain I think you are looking at camping out. 
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    I wish you the best of luck in getting a spot on the rail. Please keep in mind the energy, time and patience required to obtain it. Nothing wrong with showing up 90 mins before show and being 2 meters away from the band and truly enjoying the experience.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    Nobody will que up in london. The area around the stadium is not safe enough to camp out. If you don't want merch I'd suggest get there around 6/7 am
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    seanclax said:
    Nobody will que up in london. The area around the stadium is not safe enough to camp out. If you don't want merch I'd suggest get there around 6/7 am
    LOL
  • seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.
    Feel free to head to Tottenham at 2am on the day and prove me wrong
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,987
    Just go in when the doors open.  I've done both and can get pretty much the same place either way (don't care about rail).
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | 2024-05-16 Las Vegas | 2024-05-18 Las Vegas | 2024-08-31 Chicago
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.
    Have you been to Oakland? Or Harlem? Or Inglewood? 

I am not going to London and I would not camp out either way but people will. They have in the past in worse locations. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

I am not going to London and I would not camp out either way but people will. They have in the past in worse locations. 
     Camden lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

Chicago, downtown STL 
    It's rough there but there will be a group of 100 I guess so that's enough to be ok. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • You think 100 people will wait overnight, in Tottenham?  
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

None of the places you mentioned are particularly unsafe. This is so especially when there are dozens of people camping out.

The area of Oakland along Hegenberger Road (which, incidentally, I traversed on foot four times for Pearl Jam shows in '22 and another twelve times for Mets-A's games at the Coliseum later in '22 and in '23 with no fear and no incident) not far from the arena and stadium has property crime issues, but that's not where people camp out for the shows. The most dangerous part of walking that stretch is watching for cars speeding off the exit ramp from the freeway.

Similarly, I walked nearly a mile to and from my car parked on the street in Inglewood before and after both shows in '22 and '24 without so much as an unfriendly look.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    You think 100 people will wait overnight, in Tottenham?  
    Maybe 50 but 100% people are sleeping out I already know of 10 personally 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Wow, each to their own, I guess!
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

None of the places you mentioned are particularly unsafe. This is so especially when there are dozens of people camping out.

The area of Oakland along Hegenberger Road (which, incidentally, I traversed on foot four times for Pearl Jam shows in '22 and another twelve times for Mets-A's games at the Coliseum later in '22 and in '23 with no fear and no incident) not far from the arena and stadium has property crime issues, but that's not where people camp out for the shows. The most dangerous part of walking that stretch is watching for cars speeding off the exit ramp from the freeway.

Similarly, I walked nearly a mile to and from my car parked on the street in Inglewood before and after both shows in '22 and '24 without so much as an unfriendly look.
    You had no issues walking to and from somewhere so it must be safe. Makes sense!
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

You had no issues walking to and from somewhere so it must be safe. Makes sense!
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I know that these places are safe based on experience and actual data, and so I did what I did knowing that there was no reason to be particularly concerned. I live in L.A. I have seen many shows at the Forum. I am familiar with  that part of Inglewood. I always park on the street about a 12-minute walk from the arena. The area near the Forum is quiet and safe. There is a cemetery that runs the full length of Prairie Avenue all the way up to Florence. There are medical offices on the other side of the street. There is a school. There is a church. It's not a war zone. It's a quiet, working-class area. There are parts of Inglewood that are not so safe, but not the part near the arena where people would be camping out in large numbers.

Similarly, I went to the Pearl Jam shows in Oakland in 2022. I stayed at an airport hotel and walked the two miles to and from the arena. My experience made me comfortable to do the same thing again in September 2022 and April 2023 for the A's-Mets series. Again, that particular stretch has serious property crime issues. I wouldn't have parked my car there. But I had no concerns that someone was going to jump me. And, again, people camping out would be over by the Coliseum in a large group.

Bear in mind that I grew up in New York City and rode the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan for over an hour each way every day to get to school through the late '80s/early '90s peak of crime in American cities. I have a pretty good sense of when things are truly unsafe and how to avoid dangerous interactions.

And one thing I know for sure about London compared to any American city: there are a lot fewer guns.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I know that these places are safe based on experience and actual data, and so I did what I did knowing that there was no reason to be particularly concerned. I live in L.A. I have seen many shows at the Forum. I am familiar with  that part of Inglewood. I always park on the street about a 12-minute walk from the arena. The area near the Forum is quiet and safe. There is a cemetery that runs the full length of Prairie Avenue all the way up to Florence. There are medical offices on the other side of the street. There is a school. There is a church. It's not a war zone. It's a quiet, working-class area. There are parts of Inglewood that are not so safe, but not the part near the arena where people would be camping out in large numbers.

Similarly, I went to the Pearl Jam shows in Oakland in 2022. I stayed at an airport hotel and walked the two miles to and from the arena. My experience made me comfortable to do the same thing again in September 2022 and April 2023 for the A's-Mets series. Again, that particular stretch has serious property crime issues. I wouldn't have parked my car there. But I had no concerns that someone was going to jump me. And, again, people camping out would be over by the Coliseum in a large group.

Bear in mind that I grew up in New York City and rode the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan for over an hour each way every day to get to school through the late '80s/early '90s peak of crime in American cities. I have a pretty good sense of when things are truly unsafe and how to avoid dangerous interactions.

And one thing I know for sure about London compared to any American city: there are a lot fewer guns.

We are comparing people camping out in Tottenham vs these cities. If they did it in the above cities I am sure they will do it in London.

Also you might think they are safe. Sure. Great.  You may want to talk to the people that stayed in line for Oakland overnight though.  
  • carbonezcarbonez Posts: 79
    seanclax said:
    PJNB said:
    seanclax said:
    LOL
    I mean overnight.

I will take your word for it!
  • carbonezcarbonez Posts: 79
    Thank you everyone for the insight.  I appreciate it.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,152
    Gibson said:
    I wish you the best of luck in getting a spot on the rail.

• WreckageWreckage Posts: 56
    Too early to bother, evidently  =)  =)
    Well in Dublin right now the queue is 20 already 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959
    Worth the wait for a chance at a nod, pick shower, tambo setlist and whatever else they may throw at you!
    Have fun all and post some pictures for this armchair warrior.
  • bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 237
    I’m glad the rain is coming on Friday then. 
  • Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound Posts: 622
    edited June 20
    Surely the park closes overnight and would just throw you out if you start pitching a tent or queuing up two nights before.  And how do you wash?  And what do you do for two days?

[Edit: noticed some of this is answered in another thread, nevermind]

I probably have too many questions, maybe we will discuss in person some time, Rob!

I’ve got as close as 2nd row one time back in 2006 in front of Mike, but probably queued from about 11am on the day, I know I went on a boat excursion before queuing (this was in Marseille) so can’t have queued that early.  I was allowed a song or two on the rail too thanks to the people we were with.  Times have clearly changed.
    Post edited by Planet of Sound on
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    I mean this is just borderline ridiculous. 

There will be absolutely no one else arrive for the next 24 hours. Whats the point????