Ed cover of Save It For Later - The Bear season 3

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    BF25394 said:
    After watching and not particularly enjoying Season 1, I got roped into watching Season 2 because I was promised copious and affecting use of both Pearl Jam and Wilco. And then I liked Season 2 even less than Season 1. I'm not falling for this blatant attempt to get me to watch Season 3 by trotting out a new Eddie Vedder song. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me-- you can't get fooled again...
    Everything you say is now suspect. Jk.

You mean, it wasn't already?

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    GlowGirl said:
    on2legs said:
    Is he covering the English Beat version or the Pete Townshend version of the English Beat version. I love them both, but really love the PT cover. 
    My favorite thing about this cover is the homage to the Townshend version (which I'm guessing is how EV became aware of this song?) + the sax paying homage to the English Beat original + the closing background vocals paying homage to the PJ version. The latter may be a bit self-indulgent but I don't mind it  :) 
    Pretty sure he heard the original first
    I miss igotid88
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 646
    igotid88 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    on2legs said:
    Is he covering the English Beat version or the Pete Townshend version of the English Beat version. I love them both, but really love the PT cover. 
    My favorite thing about this cover is the homage to the Townshend version (which I'm guessing is how EV became aware of this song?) + the sax paying homage to the English Beat original + the closing background vocals paying homage to the PJ version. The latter may be a bit self-indulgent but I don't mind it  :) 
    Pretty sure he heard the original first
    We may never know, but it wasn't much of a 'hit' when it was originally released, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was Pete's version that made the song resonate with him. 

I wiki'd the song, and I had no idea the kind of double entendre of the lyric -> "Save it for later" or "Save it, fellator". Hover the cursor on it for a visual.

It led me to this article which features the songwriter discussing the origins and meaning of the song: https://www.avclub.com/dave-wakeling-on-the-short-successful-fractious-caree-1798232527

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    Brought to tears, so beautifully well done. 

And then a couple days later, when it accidentally hit my play list on Pipsqeak's speaker, she asked if Pearl jam came out with a new song. I'm so proud she recognizes Ed's singing.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Spoilers for the Bear below.....

This opening to S3 E2 was so great. That song, with the images of chicago....perfect.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,147
    7" single please!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,610
    Yes please. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,487
    @The Juggler  don't knock the sax this guy will be devastated 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

The Bear: How Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder Sold Me on FX on Hulu Series 

Here's how Eddie Vedder's "Save It For Later" cover sold me on Christopher Storer's Jeremy Allen White and Ayo Edebiri-starring The Bear.

• Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,061
    I listened to it once and it did nothing for me, certainly wont be on repeat for me
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    I listened to it once and it did nothing for me, certainly wont be on repeat for me
    Its been tagged since 1994 right?  Kinda agree. Cool to hear it tagged live but just another solo song otherwise. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,763
    Its been tagged since 1994 right?  Kinda agree. Cool to hear it tagged live but just another solo song otherwise. 
    And too slow! Not bad, but definitely prefer the live versions.
    Vinyl ...

• MM70435MM70435 Posts: 280
    Get_Right said:
    And too slow! Not bad, but definitely prefer the live versions.
    I am with you that I love the tagged version much more than this new solo one.  State College 03 may be the best all time tagged version.
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    Don’t love the cover, it’s just ok.  It does fit well in the way they used it on the show though.  The English Beats version is so good to me that all attempts to cover the song have whiffed IMO.  

I do love the tag at the end of BM though…adds a fun singalong and empowerment aspect to an otherwise dreary song.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
    demetrios said:
    Vinyl ...

Screw that. Bring on the cassingle.

BF25394 said:
    demetrios said:
    Vinyl ...

I'm down for one of those too. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    My wife and I somehow got thru season three but boy was it awful.  Literally nothing happened.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    mcgruff10 said:
    My wife and I somehow got thru season three but boy was it awful.  Literally nothing happened.  

I can't really tell you what the plot of Singles is, but I can tell you that movie had a killer soundtrack.

Sometimes, I play this song to feel dreamy about Ed singing "why don't you hold me and kiss me now".

na nah nah nah nah
    na nah nah nah nah 
    demetrios said:
    BF25394 said:
    demetrios said:
    Vinyl ...

I'm down for one of those too. 
    I was being facetious.