Options

Thoughts on current tour

Comments

• Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 893
    Hurt By Eddie Vedder was mind blowing last night.
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 944
    King Gizzard probably gives everyone mentioned all ready a better run for the money
  • Options
    edited May 31
    For sure, i was lucky to have my camera out at the time got the whole thing on video
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,355
    RS65573 said:
    MMJ definitely has them beat and almost everyone beat on setlist creating and variety. 

And they are a ROCK band 
    They dont have any hit songs. Do they? I dont know any.
    Lol
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,556
    RW8297 said:
    I think it would be awesome if they played no repeats in the cities where they had 2 gigs. Like Metallica do. Guess 5 + 6 Dark Matter songs each night would be enough. But it is what it is.
    Yeah but what is the overlap? There are a lot of people at night 2 that want to hear the big hits
    So they give you 50% of the big hits
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,328
    BF25394 said:
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    The EV solo song is where it is because it gives the rest of the band a full ten-minute break.
    Thus i said take an extra 5.  I know why it's there and it shouldn't be.  They aren't flirting with curfew timers as I explained.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,890
    BF25394 said:
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    The EV solo song is where it is because it gives the rest of the band a full ten-minute break.
    Thus i said take an extra 5.  I know why it's there and it shouldn't be.  They aren't flirting with curfew timers as I explained.
    You want the show to stop for ten full minutes? They're not going to do that. And crowds would not like it.

You're making an assumption about curfews. They could be playing past 11 p.m. curfews and paying the fines and overtime. Or the curfew in some places could be 11:15 p.m.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    For sure, i was lucky to have my camera out at the time got the whole thing on video
    Almost as lucky as the guy behind you was unlucky that he had your screen in his line of sight for the whole song.
  • Options
    fsu2626fsu2626 Posts: 348
    Best shows since Covid. I don't see a teleprompter 
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,819
    Went to both Vegas and LA shows and they were gold Jerry!!!! 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    fsu2626 said:
    The teleprompter is under the floor. There is a clear glass or plexiglass panel in the floor of the stage with a monitor underneath that is angled so that Eddie can see the words without standing directly over it. There is a second teleprompter in the part of the stage that extends out in the center.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    fsu2626 said:
    The teleprompter is under the floor. There is a clear glass or plexiglass panel in the floor of the stage with a monitor underneath that is angled so that Eddie can see the words without standing directly over it. There is a second teleprompter in the part of the stage that extends out in the center.
    Gotcha. I need to see this. Doesn't bother me either way though. Vegas was a blast and can't wait for Wrigley. Will be 31 and 32 for me! 
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,506
    I love when people say things like Pearl Jam shouldn’t play Alive for a while. 
  • Options
    TahoeJeffTahoeJeff Seattle Posts: 28
    Anyone complaining about the teleprompter is clearly under 40. Also, wtf cares? How does it affect the show in any way other than Ed actually singing the right lyrics?
    I didn't know he was using a teleprompter.  My view on the show doesn't change.  If knowing the lyrics allows him to focus on actually singing versus fumbling through a song and not having confidence in the right lyric, then I'm fine with the teleprompter.

Like with many things, technology like a teleprompter didn't exist when concerts started.  Machines that could call balls and strikes didn't exist when baseball was started.  Range finders didn't exist when golf started.  We hold onto traditions, but I would bet if technology was available in the past, we'd have a robot calling balls and strikes, range finders would be allowed at all levels of golf, and teleprompters would have been the norm.  THose 8 people against teleprompters should get over it.  
    I didnt notice the teleprompter either, but I would've liked to see it for Yellow Ledbetter
  • Options
    TahoeJeffTahoeJeff Seattle Posts: 28
    mwplum said:
    About to go to fifth show of tour tonight (Van x2, Portland, Sea x2) and note the following personal observations:

Pros: band sounds amazing! Seem to be having fun with it. Great new album and happy to see them energized in showcasing it to the fans!!! Opening 4 songs have been mind blowing! Great atmosphere and crowds! We took our 6-year old Eddie to Vancouver 2 and he had such a blast that he talked his way into coming to Portland with us :)

Cons: set list is formulaic - Gone are the days of “evening with PJ” 3 hr shows (over 4 hours in Denver 2014) or full album shows (I was fortunate to attend Moline and Milwaukee (2014) and Philly and Toronto (2016). Not sure if this is temporary, a product of age, etc., but we will cherish those memories forever! 

While I know the band owes us nothing and I am more than grateful to still have the opportunity to see my favourite band 30+ years after my first show, I miss the excitement of not knowing what to expect night-to-night. We basically know that first 4 songs will be mind blowing, next 3-4 will be sequential DM, then a few more high energy, couple more DM, and most likely porch into an encore that will have alive + DTE + a few others. Still a magical experience, but the element of surprise is significantly reduced. Maybe this evolves as the tour progresses?

Screen/lack of fans behind stage: screen is cool, but (in my opinion) not as exciting as a fully packed arena. I love seeing all the hands go up, etc. Also, I find myself wondering, could ticket prices be reduced by 20% if capacity could balance the scales by adding 20% more fans? Again, I acknowledge being very blessed to first see the band in 1992 and follow portions of tours outside PNW from 2011-2016. 

Ticket prices/other cost of travel and living issues: I still find the shows to be absolutely incredible, but for me personally (ie due to financial constraints and family commitments), Im not sure that I could justify the cost of following the band anymore (but stoked for those of you who can!).

Please know that I am just noting my personal observations as I am curious to know whether they are consistent or different from others (i.e. would love dialogue, but please don’t flame me if you disagree). Thanks and hope you all have an incredible time seeing the band this year!
    I'm fairly certain the shorter set is a product of age. In the same interview that Stone said to be ready to hear a lot of the new album, he also said to be prepared for a 2.5 hour set because it takes a lot of energy out of Matt and Ed, who are both pushing 60
  • Options
    Ridiculous right? Their hit songs are why we all got into the band in the first place. 
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,843
    It’s so ridiculous.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,414
    I love Alive - adore it - and by no means think it should be shelved for any period of time but….
    It would be nice if they rotated it with, say, Porch or Better Man on those two night runs. They could do (and have done) this with all of their “war horses” so those who attend only one show (bad idea, btw) still get lots of hits, just maybe not all of them (which was still the case this past leg - surprised that there were only three Better Man performances).
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    I went to the 2 Vegas shows. Other than the encore's being eerily similar between the 2 shows, I thought the setlists were great. And that may have been because Ed had throat issues that night, so it's all good.  But the band sounded awesome. I had an amazing time both nights. I really can't wait for the Indy and the 2 Wrigley shows.
  • Options
    fsu2626 said:
    Ridiculous right? Their hit songs are why we all got into the band in the first place. 
    Those songs were why I got into Pearl Jam, but they're not why I remained into Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam became and remained my favorite band because they have continued to make great music for 30 years. I would not be seeing the band as often as I do if they just played (or primarily played) songs from 1992-94 when most people got into them. I have seen those songs performed dozens and dozens of times. Of course, these songs should still be played because, for a large portion of the audience, they're the only songs they know. But, from my perspective, I think I would I have enjoyed "Alive" more if it had been played two or three times this month instead of ten. The day Pearl Jam becomes a nostalgia act just trotting out the hits and no longer producing exciting new music is the day I stop going to see them often.

There are plenty of bands that released songs I really liked in the early '90s. One example is Live. But even though I liked their first four albums a lot, Live stopped being relevant to me a long time ago. Notwithstanding the fact that the touring outfit currently going by the name Live has only one original member, I would have no interest in going to see Live play a set full of songs like "Lightning Crashes," "Pain Lies on the Riverside," "Lakini's Juice," etc. I have been there and done that. 
  • Options
    I didn’t attend any shows but videos I’ve seen (thanks to the person who put up full concerts on YouTube) and from comments I’ve heard, the shows were great and the band is the best it has been in a long time. I was also shocked that nothing about the war was said. I was expecting a lot of anti-Israel or more anti-bibi talk. I think Europe might bring it out 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,058
    I didn’t attend any shows but videos I’ve seen (thanks to the person who put up full concerts on YouTube) and from comments I’ve heard, the shows were great and the band is the best it has been in a long time. I was also shocked that nothing about the war was said. I was expecting a lot of anti-Israel or more anti-bibi talk. I think Europe might bring it out 
    You’re expecting the band to be anti Israel? 
  • Options
    They should be anti-genocide. Just as a general rule.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,438
    Thank Christ they've had the good sense not to
  • Options
    Definitely. And since there is not a genocide happening in Gaza that could be why they haven't been vocal about it.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Definitely. And since there is not a genocide happening in Gaza that could be why they haven't been vocal about it.
    Lol
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    In all fairness, "genocide" means self-defense in Swedish.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    In all fairness, "genocide" means self-defense in Swedish.
    Once again foiled by the language barrier!
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,506
    PJammin' said:
    It’s so ridiculous.
    I like to go see the Chiefs play but i wish they wouldn’t play Patrick Mahomes all the time