Options

I have to admit

2»

Comments

• Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,735
    I think there has been plenty of time for Backspacer to marinate. It wasn’t great then and it isn’t great now. 

But I do remember back on the old board lots of bitching about Riot Act. Glad to see people have finally come around on that gem. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,501
    yosi said:
    I think there has been plenty of time for Backspacer to marinate. It wasn’t great then and it isn’t great now. 

But I do remember back on the old board lots of bitching about Riot Act. Glad to see people have finally come around on that gem. 
    Riot Act is their best album, lyrically.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    AA295481AA295481 Posts: 101
    edited May 1
    Vedd Hedd said:
    If we had social media in 1994, people would be burning this place to the ground when Vitalogy came out. So many people were done with the band because they hated a lot of the album. 
    Or when No Code came out. 

I remember hearing Who You Are and liking it, but most of the people I knew were saying, "They're done!"  

Even back then, people didnt let things marinate.   Today, attention spans are at an all time low. 

And people are so quick to rip things apart. 
    I was one who didn't like No Code, when it first came out There were 2 or 3 songs i liked. I didn't think they were done. I think it suffered at the time for the lack of a proper tour for it, over the years I have heard all of it Live peppered into setlists, Listened to it again a few times annd grew to like it.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,731
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Never had any doubt it will be good
    Same here. I'm bemused by the whole premise of threads like this, i.e., that a member of the Pearl Jam fan club is surprised that Pearl Jam is still good.
    I dont think it's a far out concept. Personally, I feel the same way as the thread starter. A lot of people in the fan club have loved PJ for years and like going to shows every time they tour (because they continue to be one of the best touring bands in the world), which being a member of the fan club is beneficial for. A lot of those same people feel like Pearl Jam has been treading water in the studio for the better part of the 21st century. Doesn't mean they love Pearl Jam any less, it's just an opinion which I happen to share. 

This new album is something special though! Pun intended.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,153
    yosi said:

Agreed... It took me ten years to figure out Riot Act was a masterpiece 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 355
    Lifted said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Never had any doubt it will be good
    Same here. I'm bemused by the whole premise of threads like this, i.e., that a member of the Pearl Jam fan club is surprised that Pearl Jam is still good.
    I dont think it's a far out concept. Personally, I feel the same way as the thread starter. A lot of people in the fan club have loved PJ for years and like going to shows every time they tour (because they continue to be one of the best touring bands in the world), which being a member of the fan club is beneficial for. A lot of those same people feel like Pearl Jam has been treading water in the studio for the better part of the 21st century. Doesn't mean they love Pearl Jam any less, it's just an opinion which I happen to share. 

This new album is something special though! Pun intended.
    I should have let you start this thread. This is exactly how I feel. You just did a better job of articulating and expanding on my thought.