Options

I have to admit

smile6680smile6680 Posts: 347
I was close to giving up on any new Pearl Jam albums. Dark matter is by far their best album since their self titled (avocado) album. This one is well done and I'm finding myself listening to more older Pearl Jam daily. 

Comments

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,477
    I never came close to giving up. The last three were good, but DM is stellar. Definitely the best since avocado 
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 347
    KV4053 said:
    I never came close to giving up. The last three were good, but DM is stellar. Definitely the best since avocado 
    I guess giving up is a little too strong. This album feels more like an entire band working together to make each song better. 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 904
    on par with avocado at least 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,838
    I lost interest in new music coming out after the last 3. Very happy with this album and can’t wait to see some songs live. 
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    The trend with BS and then, ugh, LB was worrisome. Things turned around with Gig, which was the perfect record for what was going on in the world in spring 2020. 

DM just reeks of quality. It doesn’t TRY to be any other record, it’s just the five guys being their very best selves in 2024 (‘23). 

I think there’s more to peel back before all is said and done and can’t wait to watch it all unfold. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    edited April 27
    I decided to rate every song on all studio albums on a scale of 1-10. Then take the average song score for the album score. So this ranking isn’t favorite albums but most good songs on albums. Dark matter slotted pretty high:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,420
    I decided to rate every song on all studio albums on a scale of 1-10. Then take the average song score for the album score. So this ranking isn’t favorite albums but most good songs on albums. Dark matter slotted pretty high:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    If I used this methodology, it would distort my true feelings about the albums. For example, "Bugs" would get a zero, which would drag down the average for Vitalogy, which might be my favorite album. But it's an interesting approach.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    JV267526JV267526 Posts: 197
    BF25394 said:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    If I used this methodology, it would distort my true feelings about the albums. For example, "Bugs" would get a zero, which would drag down the average for Vitalogy, which might be my favorite album. But it's an interesting approach.
    Given a situation like what you mention and that albums have a different number tracks, maybe looking the top 10 tracks from each weighted against each other could be a way that works since.I think all albums have at least 10 songs.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,984
    KV4053 said:
    The last three were good, but DM is stellar.

• Options
    HK103094HK103094 Posts: 26
    For me Pearl Jam has 4 different periods:

1 The grunge period: ten, vs and vitalogy
    2 The mytical period: no code, yield, binarual and riot act
    3 The mediocre period: avocado, backspacer and lighting bolt
    4 The return to form period: gigaton, dark matter ...

There are no bad records in their catalogue and all albums have som great songs. But it feels so refreshing to have them back in form, where the creativity has returned. Gigaton was a great leap forward in quality and Dark Matter is standing there among the best albums. 
    2000 Oslo
    2007 Venezia
    2010 London
    2012 Oslo
    2014 Milano
    2018 Milano
    2018 Krakow
    2019 Barolo (Ed)
    2022 Berlin
    2022 Frankfurt
    2022 Krakow

• Options
    BF25394 said:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    Yup this isn’t the only way. Just wanted to see what it showed. No code is the album I would choose if I could only pick one 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JV267526 said:
    BF25394 said:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    Given a situation like what you mention and that albums have a different number tracks, maybe looking the top 10 tracks from each weighted against each other could be a way that works since.I think all albums have at least 10 songs.
    I gave n/a to aye davinata, stupid mop and stuff like that. I did rate bugs but I like it a lot ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 256
    JV267526 said:
    BF25394 said:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    I gave n/a to aye davinata, stupid mop and stuff like that. I did rate bugs but I like it a lot ;)
    Bugs is a banger, fits well between songs where it's placed.  And it's uniqueness adds to its charm 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited April 27
    MikeDigs said:
    JV267526 said:
    BF25394 said:

Album Score
    Ten 8.59
    VS. 8.50
    No Code 8.19
    Vitalogy 8.18
    Dark Matter 8.18
    Yield 8.12
    Gigaton 7.83
    Binaural 7.69
    PJ (Avacado) 7.58
    Lightning Bolt 7.38
    Riot Act 7.33
    Backspacer 7.2
    Bugs is a banger, fits well between songs where it's placed.  And it's uniqueness adds to its charm 

I love Bugs. Great lyrics, totally unique, it's a whole vibe. I always loved it. Vitalogy is the album that really made me realize they are creative geniuses.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 509
    I have to admit. I cannot stop listening to the Stern live version of Scared of Fear. Close to being in my top three PJ songs of all time.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,063
    HH140540 said:
    I have to admit. I cannot stop listening to the Stern live version of Scared of Fear. Close to being in my top three PJ songs of all time.
    I too can't stop 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Anywhere us UK residents can hear this?
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    HK103094 said:
    For me Pearl Jam has 4 different periods:

1 The grunge period: ten, vs and vitalogy
    2 The mytical period: no code, yield, binarual and riot act
    3 The mediocre period: avocado, backspacer and lighting bolt
    4 The return to form period: gigaton, dark matter ...

There are no bad records in their catalogue and all albums have som great songs. But it feels so refreshing to have them back in form, where the creativity has returned. Gigaton was a great leap forward in quality and Dark Matter is standing there among the best albums. 
    Thank you.  Gigaton seems pretty trendy to hate on, but I see it as the studio side of this band awakening from a very long hibernation.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,201
    HH140540 said:
    I too can't stop 
    Same here!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,060
    I don't understand the Lightning Bolt hate. I love that album, it is what really got me back into the band. Hearing Sirens (again, another song that gets so much hate here) on the radio, I was drawn right back, like where have they been? I was casually listening to Backspacer/and the self titled Avocado, but not on regular rotation. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,459
    Never had any doubt it will be good
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,063
    Anywhere us UK residents can hear this?
    YouTube. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 639
    igotid88 said:
    I never doubted it’d be good, I think all the albums are at a minimum “good”. 
    I did not anticipate it being this good. It’s really incredible.
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,653
    hihobibo said:
    I don't understand the Lightning Bolt hate. I love that album, it is what really got me back into the band. Hearing Sirens (again, another song that gets so much hate here) on the radio, I was drawn right back, like where have they been?
    I think Lightning Bolt is the tale of two albums. A lot tracks are great, but just as many are pretty… what’s the polite way to put it?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,680
    If we had social media in 1994, people would be burning this place to the ground when Vitalogy came out. So many people were done with the band because they hated a lot of the album. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,420
    edited April 29
    igotid88 said:
    Same here. I'm bemused by the whole premise of threads like this, i.e., that a member of the Pearl Jam fan club is surprised that Pearl Jam is still good.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 509
    spankyMP said:
    HH140540 said:
    I too can't stop 
    Same here!
    Still can’t stop. Everything about this song is 🔥. My only concern is I may get asked to leave a show if I rock out as hard to it live as I have been at home. I don’t remember being this enamored with a new PJ song so quickly in a long time.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    hihobibo said:
    I don't understand the Lightning Bolt hate. I love that album, it is what really got me back into the band. Hearing Sirens (again, another song that gets so much hate here) on the radio, I was drawn right back, like where have they been? I was casually listening to Backspacer/and the self titled Avocado, but not on regular rotation. 
    Thats how I feel about Backspacer. There's a lot of hate for that one, but I think it's decent.
    But LB, there just aren't any songs I am excited to hear when they are played. I might not hate most of them, but none of them I am excited for. Sirens just has too long of an intro that kills the song for me. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    mace1229 said:
    hihobibo said:
    Thats how I feel about Backspacer. There's a lot of hate for that one, but I think it's decent.
    But LB, there just aren't any songs I am excited to hear when they are played. I might not hate most of them, but none of them I am excited for. Sirens just has too long of an intro that kills the song for me. 
    BS is my least favorite but I always state that if we are ranking the PJ albums something would have to be last.

It is my 22 year old daughter's favorite PJ album most likely because we were on vacation when it was released so I played the shit out of it all week.

Last summer we were hanging around outside and I put it on and listened to the whole album. It's a good listen for sure. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    If we had social media in 1994, people would be burning this place to the ground when Vitalogy came out. So many people were done with the band because they hated a lot of the album. 
    Or when No Code came out. 

I remember hearing Who You Are and liking it, but most of the people I knew were saying, "They're done!"  

Even back then, people didnt let things marinate.   Today, attention spans are at an all time low. 

And people are so quick to rip things apart. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission