Options

Something Special

13»

Comments

• Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 259
    This song 'feels' so good!
    Happy it's on the album, has a great atmosphere.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,693
    I hope they play the song at every show 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Musically reminds me of a particular Stereophonics song from their second album….
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 257
    I don’t mind it.  I have daughters and they are grown.  It resonates with me.  It’s a little cringey because it has that hokey tempo, but the lyrics have meaning and it doesn’t bother me.  Makes me think of my kids, my pride, and my concern about them.  I won’t skip it and I hope they don’t play it in Seattle when I’ll be sitting with them…cause I don’t go to a PJ concert to cry.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,036
    Hankj25 said:
    I don’t mind it.  I have daughters and they are grown.  It resonates with me.  It’s a little cringey because it has that hokey tempo, but the lyrics have meaning and it doesn’t bother me.  Makes me think of my kids, my pride, and my concern about them.  I won’t skip it and I hope they don’t play it in Seattle when I’ll be sitting with them…cause I don’t go to a PJ concert to cry.
    This 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 629
    edited April 21
    Something Special is the happy ending to several sad & angry songs on Ten. The man who struggled losing his father loving being present for his kids. 
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 234
    edited April 21
    Got in my car,  and defiantly started up with this song.  Cranked it.  I don't even have kids.   I don't care.  That intro is so good and this grooves.   I really like the marching bass line and drums, also the guitars are smooth throughout.

It kicks off a nice 3 song run with  Something Special, Got to Give, and Setting Sun.

Feeling adventurous?  You should try it.  Start on Something Special.

Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    This song should’ve gone on the Earthlings album. I get being a proud dad (daughter turning 18 in a couple of months and coming to PJ in Sydney with me) but unpopular opinion time… Eddie’s songwriting is starting to wain for me. 
    1998 - 11/3 (SYD2)
    2003 - 11/2 (SYD1), 13/2 (SYD2), 14/2 (SYD3), 8/7 (MSG1), 9/7 (MSG2), 11/7 (BOS3)
    2006 - 7/11 (SYD1), 8/11 (SYD2), 10/11 (BRIS1), 18/11 (SYD3)
    2009 - 20/11 (MEL), 22/11 (SYD)
    2011 - 18/3 (EVSYD1), 19/3 (EVSYD2), 24/3 (EVMEL1), 25/3 (EVMEL2)
    2014 - 26/1 (BDOSYD)
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 684
    It's feels right to have something lighter after the intensity of Stevie and running and for this reason I won't skip it.

But to me it just doesn't stand up musically to the rest of the album, I dont mind the lyrics so much.

More importantly, production aside, this is the only negative I feel towards the whole record at this point, massive win 
  • Options
    rhillmanrhillman Posts: 13
    Love how EV has gotten older with me his music seems to change and keep in step where I am ... I hope he makes music through my entire life.. it will help .. My own daughter is graduating High School this year.. difficult not to have this song hit hard.. corny as it may be. 
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,986
    My least favorite on the new album.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,416
    JojoRice said:
    My least favorite on the new album.  
    +1
  • Options
    As with all of the Dark Matter album, this song continues to get better.  I love how this collection of tracks seems to enhance each other within the album context.

I get Wishlist / Last Kiss levels of enjoyment from Something Special.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    This song makes The Haves look like Stairway To Heaven. He gets a pass b/c it's about his daughters, but ugh.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    This one is at least a full band song. We've seen several Ed solo songs on the last few albums so I actually am enjoying it. It's a slower PJ song that's more basic. Haven't skipped it yet because it's placement is good, like most songs on this album. I want this song after Running and before Got to Give.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    This one is at least a full band song. We've seen several Ed solo songs on the last few albums so I actually am enjoying it. It's a slower PJ song that's more basic. Haven't skipped it yet because it's placement is good, like most songs on this album. I want this song after Running and before Got to Give.
    Exactly this.  These songs definitely enhance each other.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    The instrumentation on this track is not getting enough credit. It's pretty great actually...and aside from the purposefully straightforward, borderline cheesy lyrics, the vocals are very catchy too.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    Lifted said:
    The instrumentation on this track is not getting enough credit. It's pretty great actually...and aside from the purposefully straightforward, borderline cheesy lyrics, the vocals are very catchy too.
    Love the instrumentation on this (and entire album) as well.  It's a throwback 90s sound, and the band is so in-sync.  Agree on the catchy vocalization, it's been in my head the past couple of days when waking up.
  • Options
    This song sits perfectly between the intense Running and arena rocker Got To Give.
    It's a fun song that doesn't take itself too seriously.
    "Bet on yourself, your number's, oh, so special".