Options

Something Special

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    I love a lot of the songs on the album, but can't get into this one. I have been skipping it. It ruins the flow for me.
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    Father of two daughters similarly aged to Eddie's and actually laughed out loud in the theatre at this song as it's just so cheesy. 

Sure I can relate to the lyrics, but they are executed so poorly because of how literal they are.  Almost like a B-Side for a pop country artist.  

All that said, the melody feels like a direct rip off of some old song with just a few tweaks to make it his own and I'm having a hell of a time placing it.  Anyone else figure it out.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    omcollinsomcollins Posts: 29
    edited April 19
    bone said:
    Father of two daughters similarly aged to Eddie's and actually laughed out loud in the theatre at this song as it's just so cheesy. 

Sure I can relate to the lyrics, but they are executed so poorly because of how literal they are.  Almost like a B-Side for a pop country artist.  

All that said, the melody feels like a direct rip off of some old song with just a few tweaks to make it his own and I'm having a hell of a time placing it.  Anyone else figure it out.  
    You hit the nail on the head with “how literal they are”.  I don’t know where you live but here in Scotland when the Primary 7 kids (11-12 years old) leave primary school for high school, the music teacher usually helps write a song for the kids to sing in their final primary school assembly.  This is the level of lyrics in Something Special, and the melody is similarly basic.
    Post edited by omcollins on
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    omcollins said:
    bone said:

You hit the nail on the head with “how literal they are”.  I don’t know where you live but here in Scotland when the Primary 7 kids (11-12 years old) leave primary school for high school, the music teacher usually helps write a song for the kids to sing in their final primary school assembly.  This is the level of lyrics in Something Special, and the melody is similarly basic.
    Perfect description, better than my B-Side country song analogy.  This is totally a grade school music teacher lyrics. You'd love them and think they are adorable hearing them from somebody you know personally, but I just expect better from Eddie.  But it's all good, I love the fact he's in a mindset that he feels good about writing a song like this as it means he's truly happy with his life as a father.  I would not have expected that out of him with how he talked in the 90s. 
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 585
    omcollins said:
    bone said:

Lol, that’s a good diss
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    The Beatles write basic lyrics and melodies and it did them just fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with this particular song. Some people don’t like it and that’s fine, but don’t act like every song needs to be this complex thing. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    Father of five and just can’t get into this one.  For me, This and wreckage are the two clunkers on the new album.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    PJammin' said:
    The Beatles write basic lyrics and melodies and it did them just fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with this particular song. Some people don’t like it and that’s fine, but don’t act like every song needs to be this complex thing. 
    First song I thought of was I Will. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    dogmattdogmatt Posts: 103
    The song is just ok. Lyrics are a bit clunky.  The problem is it doesn't really fit on the album.  Should have saved it for Lost Dogs 2.
  • Options
    elitrionaelitriona Posts: 42
    edited April 20
    I like the song, from a dad's perspective. I prefer Ed's solo song "Skipping" from the Every Mother Counts album in a more sentimental parent way https://youtu.be/0cEYZUO9XR4?si=hnEXg2kKbodEBZjn

But I dig them both for different reasons, though I think it helps connect to those kinds of songs when you are a parent. Does not mean they are not enjoyable if you don't have kids, its just...different.
  • Options
    Andy DickAndy Dick Posts: 111
    edited April 20
    Funny, I love it. Love the groove. I find myself dancing around the house the way that Ed does on stage with his heels off the ground. That classic PJ sway. 

We all have a song or two that we use as an opprtunity to run to the toilet or get another drink! If you don't like it, view it as an opportunity to enjoy the rest of the show more!
    Post edited by Andy Dick on
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    edited April 20
    It's not a terrible song for what it is...but im still scratching my head wondering how in the hell did everyone sign off on including this. It's very out of place and doesn't belong on a Pearl Jam album.

I could appreciate it much more if Eddie put it on his next solo/earthlings album.

Definitely not mad at it for being cheesy though. This track isn't even trying to be cool which is how it should be if you're going to write a song like this.
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,098
    also a dad here. Definitely do not like it lol. It's so hokey and the lyrics/phrasing feel so forced
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,972
    mcgruff10 said:
    Father of five and just can’t get into this one.  For me, This and wreckage are the two clunkers on the new album.  
    I agree with this. As someone said, it’s very basic and the lyrics are to literal. The quality of this song compared the rest of the album is very stark. Should have been a b side.

But I’m a dad of three young daughters and we had a lovely moment dancing around to this song last night so I’m grateful for that!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,813
    It’s not terrible but definitely will
    be a skip for me. 
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    One of the standout songs for me and I haven’t even looked at the lyrics….
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 625
    If songs about Vedder family parent-child relationships “don’t belong on PJ albums” than y’all better turn in your copies of Ten.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 585
    It’s not the topic, it’s the presentation. 
  • Options
    cmikeheltoncmikehelton Posts: 170
    SonicDub said:
    Weakest song on the album IMO
    Might be the weakest song they've ever recorded. I do not like it at all.. the only PJ song I can say that about. 
    "And the young, they can lose hope
    'Cause they can't see beyond today
    The wisdom that the old can't give away, hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone."
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    kmcmanus said:
    If songs about Vedder family parent-child relationships “don’t belong on PJ albums” than y’all better turn in your copies of Ten.
    Thirty five years into this, people should have learned there's no such thing as "doesn't belong on a PJ album." They've specifically cultivated their careers to be able to make whatever the hell kind of music they want and it still be Pearl Jam.

Damn guy was playing the accordion and ranting about insects on record at the height of the band's career, ferchrissakes
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    kmcmanus said:
    Thirty five years into this, people should have learned there's no such thing as "doesn't belong on a PJ album." They've specifically cultivated their careers to be able to make whatever the hell kind of music they want and it still be Pearl Jam.

Damn guy was playing the accordion and ranting about insects on record at the height of the band's career, ferchrissakes
    Great point!! BUGS!!!

And I was one of those who went batshit crazy when I got to see Bugs played live. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 229
    I think Running flows so nice into Something Special.  The intro base and guitar reminds me of 90s tunes, it's so refreshing and then just grooves out.  It grooves so good I don't mind the cheesy lyrics at all.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,950
    I don’t mind it. I’ll certainly keep listening and as a Dad to a girl (the only one I’ll have) I get it for sure. Maybe as the album wears thin at a much later date, yeah maybe I’d skip it, but I don’t dislike it or HATE it. It’s only art / music after all. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    kmcmanus said:

I’m glad you said it. I was thinking the same exact thing. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,600
    I had no idea the accordion was cool until I saw EV rock it.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,010
    Ok I admit it i cried walking round doing the food shopping with headphones on.  3 daughters and a son 3 are adults now and I totally get it. I think also seeing ed sing this to his daughter at the listening event probably sealed the deal . 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,939
    It’s the Bluey of the album, one for Mumsnet.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    It’s in the bottom two for me on the album.  Not because I don’t like it.  But because the rest of the album is so good.  It is over the top in sentimentality but it’s intentional and I think Ed is very aware of it.  I don’t think he wants to be vague or leave open to interpretation how he feels about his kids.  So he’s being really direct and embracing the idea of being a dad.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    I’ve listened to the whole album only 5 times so far but as far as thematically speaking I feel it fits perfectly.  The themes I’m feeling… something ending (whether that’s a love relationship, friendships, career, nearing the last part of this life, aging, reflection) fit perfectly with wanting to make sure your kids know how much you love them, how hard you have and will continue to strive for them, sending them off and wanting them to protect and value themselves.  As far as musically it’s light and bouncy and provides a contrast to the mostly heavy rest of the album and I too agree that it rolls off of Running perfectly. 

Usually completely literal lyrics really bother me (future days) but somehow this song just hits me right even though it is straight forward 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,010
    I don't think it's a great song for the album but I fully feel the emotions 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -