Options

Dark Matter album reviews

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,124
    nicknyr15 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:
    This album gets better and better with every listen. I started at a 6/10, bumped it up to an 8/10, now I'm feeling at least a 9/10. I'm losing sleep over it. This might be the best pure rock album of the century. So many layers to it, and not a single dud in the batch. I am no longer confused by Ed suggesting it's the best album they've ever made. In a lot of ways, it might be. Im happy to say that I feel foolish for my initial hot takes on it. It's usually the best ones that take some time to click.

You went from "worst album in their catalog", to "rock album of the century" practically overnight? 
    So? I love seeing opinions shift and evolve. 
    and it’s still funny…but we all do it from time to time. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 103
    Lifted said:
    vedpunk said:
    Lifted said:
    PJammin' said:
    PJammin' said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:
    My initial reaction is that this album is all over the place and has no flow. A lot of styles going on, and too many for it's own good. It definitely has it's moments, but the lows are very low. I'll give it more time, but if this isnt the worst PJ album in the catalog, it's probably only better than lightning bolt which isn't saying much.

For me wreckage, won't tell and something special were the lows. Upper hand, setting sun, scared of fear and running were my initial highlights. Waiting for Stevie has some great moments, and also some parts I'm not really fond of.

This album is a lot to digest....but for now I'm feeling a 6/10

And yes, I know my review sucks.
    6/10? Now I feel like you’re trolling. 
    Why? Is it crazy to think someone may not enjoy it as much as you? 
    That’s not the issue. The issue is giving it a 6. NO WAY is it a 6. That’s B.S.
    So, your issue IS that someone has a different opinion than you. It happens. It’s all part of being in a community. We are one, but different in our own ways, which contributes to the tapestry of our fandom.
    You can have a different opinion. 6/10 ranking comes from the trolls. That’s it.  6/10 isn’t accurate at all. 

I'm definitely not a troll. I'm a paying member of the ten club and I love this band. Honestly, 6/10 might be generous now that I've played it through a few more times. Even one of my highlights, setting sun, I'm not feeling as much as I had originally thought. At this point I think the first to singles and scared of fear are probably my favorite tracks if had to pick.

I thought gigaton was a return to form of sorts, particularly the first half of the album. This one is 10 steps back.

On a side note, react, respond sounds just like can't stop by the chili peppers.
    Wow, I’m open to all viewpoints but you just lost all credibility after stating that Chilli Peppers comparison.  Are you sure you’re listening to the right album?
    Listen to the instrumentation, it's eerily similar. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it. It's not a knock on the song....I actually don't hate it.

Looking forward to everyone revisiting their opinions of this one 5 years down the road. I'm sure some will still love it...but I suspect this will be another forgettable album to most, much like the majority of their output from the past 20 years
    5 years???
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,748
    Listening on headphones was / is a MUCH better immersive experience than it was in the cinema (movie theatres for my US friends). Although we had ATMOS and the quality was great I feel I really 'experienced' the album through my headphones!
    Headphones is definitely the way to go. Awesome experience. 🔥 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    edited April 21
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:
    This album gets better and better with every listen. I started at a 6/10, bumped it up to an 8/10, now I'm feeling at least a 9/10. I'm losing sleep over it. This might be the best pure rock album of the century. So many layers to it, and not a single dud in the batch. I am no longer confused by Ed suggesting it's the best album they've ever made. In a lot of ways, it might be. Im happy to say that I feel foolish for my initial hot takes on it. It's usually the best ones that take some time to click.

You went from "worst album in their catalog", to "rock album of the century" practically overnight? 
    Yeah, and I was getting 💩 for saying this album is no 6/10. NO WAY this album is a 6. All five of those guys can get a 6 just by rolling out of bed. They are so freaking talented. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    LBCeddieLBCeddie Posts: 103
    Lifted said:
    vedpunk said:
    Lifted said:
    PJammin' said:
    PJammin' said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:
    My initial reaction is that this album is all over the place and has no flow. A lot of styles going on, and too many for it's own good. It definitely has it's moments, but the lows are very low. I'll give it more time, but if this isnt the worst PJ album in the catalog, it's probably only better than lightning bolt which isn't saying much.

For me wreckage, won't tell and something special were the lows. Upper hand, setting sun, scared of fear and running were my initial highlights. Waiting for Stevie has some great moments, and also some parts I'm not really fond of.

So, your issue IS that someone has a different opinion than you. It happens. It’s all part of being in a community. We are one, but different in our own ways, which contributes to the tapestry of our fandom.
    You can have a different opinion. 6/10 ranking comes from the trolls. That’s it.  6/10 isn’t accurate at all. 

I'm definitely not a troll. I'm a paying member of the ten club and I love this band. Honestly, 6/10 might be generous now that I've played it through a few more times. Even one of my highlights, setting sun, I'm not feeling as much as I had originally thought. At this point I think the first to singles and scared of fear are probably my favorite tracks if had to pick.

I thought gigaton was a return to form of sorts, particularly the first half of the album. This one is 10 steps back.

On a side note, react, respond sounds just like can't stop by the chili peppers.
    Wow, I’m open to all viewpoints but you just lost all credibility after stating that Chilli Peppers comparison.  Are you sure you’re listening to the right album?
    Listen to the instrumentation, it's eerily similar. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it. It's not a knock on the song....I actually don't hate it.

Looking forward to everyone revisiting their opinions of this one 5 years down the road. I'm sure some will still love it...but I suspect this will be another forgettable album to most, much like the majority of their output from the past 20 years. 
    Priceless...
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    edited April 21
    nicknyr15 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

I'm glad it amuses you, but I think it's a pretty common characteristic among great albums that my initial perception is negative. When you hear something you're not expecting, it can be a bit jarring. Here are a few examples of other great albums I can recall hating when I first heard them...

Neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
    of Montreal - skeletal lamping
    Wilco - Yankee hotel foxtrot, cruel country
    Radiohead - Kid a, moon shaped pool
    Sun kil moon - benji
    Father john misty - pure comedy

Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    edited April 21
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:
    vedpunk said:
    Lifted said:
    PJammin' said:
    PJammin' said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJammin' said:
    Lifted said:

Looking forward to everyone revisiting their opinions of this one 5 years down the road. I'm sure some will still love it...but I suspect this will be another forgettable album to most, much like the majority of their output from the past 20 years
    5 years???
    I hope I don't change my current mind. Lol....this album is really special.

Whatever guys...I came back it and updated my opinion! I could've tucked my tail and stuck with my this album is shite assessment.
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    edited April 21
    PJammin' said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

Yeah, and I was getting 💩 for saying this album is no 6/10. NO WAY this album is a 6. All five of those guys can get a 6 just by rolling out of bed. They are so freaking talented. 
    It could still be a 6 for some people...and I wouldn't argue with it.

Lightning bolt was a 5 at best.
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    PJammin' said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

It could still be a 6 for some people...and I wouldn't argue with it.

Lightning bolt was a 5 at best.
    :lol:
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

LOL
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    After my third listen and the need to revisit some snippets of some of them to rank in order, I went to playing my Pearl Jam shuffle (all studio albums plus Lost Dogs, and my top Ten Misc. Covers and my Misc. Originals albums) the rest of the weekend...FAN FUCKING TASTIC!

A listening project like this has made me re-rank Pearl Jam my #1 (Queens of the Stone age has held it basically since I got into them in 2013).  There is no better music catalog than Pearl Jam's.  Even Something Special (currently my least favorite on DM) came up and sounded great.  I love these album release weekends.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,180
    Glad everyone seams to enjoy it, it’s really a great record. Going to play 18, can’t wait let my buddy hear it
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

I'm glad it amuses you, but I think it's a pretty common characteristic among great albums that my initial perception is negative. When you hear something you're not expecting, it can be a bit jarring. Here are a few examples of other great albums I can recall hating when I first heard them...

Sun kil moon - benji

Yes I find it funny cause we all do it. Usually takes more than a day but certainly happens for me as well. Thats why I found it funny. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    breakmarysfallbreakmarysfall Posts: 366
    edited April 21
    It is a PJ weekend of its finest. 
    After the great theater listening experience, l've enjoyed the new music of/on dark matter all weekend long. And I agree: the album gets better with every listening although some songs got me already at first play. By now the whole album has crawled into!
    I am usually euphoric and happy with every new release by PJ but dark matter has clicked and blown me away immediately. And still, there is no low song to skip! The flow of the album and each song are composed perfectly, so many good riffs, instrumental high performances, pure PJ vibes and new turn arounds,.. all so complex snd advanced in the music, so deep in meaning by the lyrics. There are the political songs and songs about love,  there are words full of wisdom and single lines that speak out to all of us , it is just so Pearl Jam like but more experienced by the influence of the last 4 years (with references to earthlings and other solo projects)
    so, I give 9/10!
    My faves are
    1 React-Respond;
    2 Dark Matter & setting Sun
    3. Waiting for Stevie - or lets say: I truly love the tripple from Won't tell til waiting for Stevie... uhhhh - All soo good 🥰

So, did i say thank you Pearl Jam, already?
    sometimes I need to repeat myself while I keep on rocking, happily 😊
    Post edited by breakmarysfall on
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 26
    edited April 22

Post edited by Dizzle on
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

Sun kil moon - benji

Yes I find it funny cause we all do it. Usually takes more than a day but certainly happens for me as well. Thats why I found it funny. 
    I think I've been able to pinpoint why I had such a negative reaction to it initially. Some of the production choices (if that's what you would call it/ im not talking about the actual sound of the recording), particularly in regard to the vocals, are very mainstream pop and unlike anything Pearl Jam has done in the past.

I'm thinking about the vocal layering and harmonies in wreckage and won't tell. Also some of the arrangement techniques, like in the first half of the song dark matter for example. They really tried a lot of new things on this album, and I wasnt sure what to make of it at first. After fully digesting it, I think it not only works, but was executed to near perfection. The way these songs shift gears is on another level. We got a taste of it on the first track of gigaton, but it didn't feel fully fleshed out on that album.

This is what I've been waiting for from Pearl Jam, and I honestly didn't think they had it in them to make another album like this. They've managed to reinvent themselves, while also staying true to the classic sound that made us all fall in love with them. Brilliant.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,814
    Am I the only one who loves got to give? The bridge into that final outro with him singing something’s got to give , gives me chills man. 
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    edited April 21
    Lifted said:

It’s good. It went from 6/10 to 8/10 for me. But I’d still rank Green Day’s American Idiot or The White Stripe’s Elephant as the best pure rock albums of the century. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,814
    Lifted said:

It’s good. It went from 6/10 to 8/10 for me. But I’d still rank Green Day’s American Idiot or The White Stripe’s Elephant as the best pure rock albums of the century. 
    This is why I love discussing music on forums. I love reading about opposing views when it comes to art because to me, American Idiot is one of the most overrated rock albums of all time. I know I’m most likely in the minority 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Am I the only one who loves got to give? The bridge into that final outro with him singing something’s got to give , gives me chills man. 
    I love it too. Reminds me of the who.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 625
    edited April 21
    nicknyr15 said:
    Lifted said:

This is why I love discussing music on forums. I love reading about opposing views when it comes to art because to me, American Idiot is one of the most overrated rock albums of all time. I know I’m most likely in the minority 
    I like American Idiot fine but I’m not sure it’s even my favorite Green Day album of the century.
  • Options
    Didn’t want to start a new thread …anyone know if the cd comes with a booklet that has the lyrics?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 637
    Didn’t want to start a new thread …anyone know if the cd comes with a booklet that has the lyrics?
    Yes. Has all the lyrics except the ones omitted at the theater showing, for Got To Give. It has the same last few lines only.
  • Options
    Yes. Has all the lyrics except the ones omitted at the theater showing, for Got To Give. It has the same last few lines only.
    Thank you. Guess I should buy even though no cd player ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Lifted said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    LBCeddie said:
    Lifted said:

Sun kil moon - benji

Oh man every FJM album is that for me.

Listen 1: Welp he finally took a dump. No idea what he's thinking with this one.

Listen 12: Welp not gonna be listening to anything else for 2 months.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yes. Builds beautifully.
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 252
    Thank you. Guess I should buy even though no cd player ;)
    You should buy a copy since it has nice artwork plus the lyrics. :)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,955
    nicknyr15 said:
    No, you’re not Robinson Crusoe here, I’m in the love Got to Give camp. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344

Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98