Options

Early indie store Dark Matter listening party

Comments

• Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    kmcmanus said:
    TN49724 said:
    Upper Hand has some Yellow Ledbetter vibes throughout 
    Also some Pink Floyd vibes… at my store it was drawing comparisons to Nothing as it Seems
    Definitely NAIS at the beginning for sure.  Throughout the song I kept hearing the same couple riffs, and I’m thinking damn that’s a little YL.  Even how Ed sings parts of it. Really good song. 
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,344
    And Won’t Tell is another radio song if they want.  It’s a monster, I think
    Somebody posted a 1 minute clip of it on Facebook and it sounds amazing!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,181
    Looks like Ed was @ Easy St…. He’s such an ambassador 🤙
  • Options
    In a way some of the songs on the album are akin to Sirens but like way more urgent, fresher, and better.  Hard to explain.  They are so melodic and Ed is singing his balls off. Like really singing. He has lost some of the power from his early day but make no mistake about it, dude is legit.  He still has the ability to capture you with his voice.  I keep thinking U2, even Duran Duran.  The album is atmospheric.  It breathes.  I’m thinking mostly about WFS, Upper Hand, Won’t Tell

I feel like they have broken new ground which is astonishing at this point in the game.  Kudos to Watt and the band for going to Shangri-La.  I think the couple week bootcamp paid dividends. 

Oh and the record production sounded really good to my ears.
  • Options
    Something Special is another radio song.

wreckage, won’t tell, something special.  3 songs that sound more like radio hits than anything they have done in a while.  

Would be cool if DM blows up
  • Options
    In a way some of the songs on the album are akin to Sirens but like way more urgent, fresher, and better.  Hard to explain.  They are so melodic and Ed is singing his balls off. Like really singing. He has lost some of the power from his early day but make no mistake about it, dude is legit.  He still has the ability to capture you with his voice.  I keep thinking U2, even Duran Duran.  The album is atmospheric.  It breathes.  I’m thinking mostly about WFS, Upper Hand, Won’t Tell

I feel like they have broken new ground which is astonishing at this point in the game.  Kudos to Watt and the band for going to Shangri-La.  I think the couple week bootcamp paid dividends. 

That’s a very high pedestal because when I first heard Sirens I felt it was an instant classic. It is still a great song and I feel has proven to be that. I’ve gotten people into PJ with that one as much as I have stuff on Vitalogy. Hyped for these new songs! 
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    This is really stretching their catalogue in a way that I feel like I’m never gonna leave a 150 minute show satisfied lol.
  • Options

That’s a very high pedestal because when I first heard Sirens I felt it was an instant classic. It is still a great song and I feel has proven to be that. I’ve gotten people into PJ with that one as much as I have stuff on Vitalogy. Hyped for these new songs! 
    I know! Sirens is a classic. A great PJ song.  But there is an energy to these recordings that I think make Sirens(the recording) sound a little flat in comparison.  Not to shit on Sirens but to applaud the new record. 

• Options
    AlaG said:
    This is really stretching their catalogue in a way that I feel like I’m never gonna leave a 150 minute show satisfied lol.
    No kidding 😁
  • Options

I know! Sirens is a classic. A great PJ song.  But there is an energy to these recordings that I think make Sirens(the recording) sound a little flat in comparison.  Not to shit on Sirens but to applaud the new record. 

Oh hell yeah, every record is its own and from what I’ve read I can surmise that PJ just put out a great hard rock summer record? If you feel alone and put on Binaural and Gigaton then this is the one where you make your bed and go fucking surf like Tony Alva 
  • Options

Oh hell yeah, every record is its own and from what I’ve read I can surmise that PJ just put out a great hard rock summer record? If you feel alone and put on Binaural and Gigaton then this is the one where you make your bed and go fucking surf like Tony Alva 
    There are some rockers, and their are some mid tempo anthem type songs, so yeah, good for surfing 🏄 
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598

Very well said, I agree. I'm actually shocked at how much I enjoyed it, I really think this is a big step forward for them. 
  • Options
    LS164963LS164963 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 140
    Album sounded really good thru some crappie in ceiling speakers. Can't wait for tomorrow the sound is going to be so much better and the visualizers I'm sure are going to be awesome. I was 1 of 4 people at my local store who won a DM 7" promotional single that includes DM instrumental. Haven't seen anyone post about the single. Wonder how many more are out there. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    Sounds amazing - can't wait to hear it! Damn tax deadline.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I can't wait to hear this album....ugh.

I preordered the vinyl & doubt it'll arrive by Friday.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    LS164963 said:
    Album sounded really good thru some crappie in ceiling speakers. Can't wait for tomorrow the sound is going to be so much better and the visualizers I'm sure are going to be awesome. I was 1 of 4 people at my local store who won a DM 7" promotional single that includes DM instrumental. Haven't seen anyone post about the single. Wonder how many more are out there. 
    What does the front of the 7” look like? I believe the one available from 10club has the instrumental on the b side as well. Curios if it’s a different cover.
  • Options
    LS164963 said:
    What does the front of the 7” look like? I believe the one available from 10club has the instrumental on the b side as well. Curios if it’s a different cover.
    The front has the same image as the back. I didn't get the one from 10c so I can not compare. My guess is probably the same.
  • Options
    LS164963 said:
    LS164963 said:
    The front has the same image as the back. I didn't get the one from 10c so I can not compare. My guess is probably the same. EDIT It's the DM spin circle thing it says dark matter kind of small.
  • Options
    LS164963 said:
    LS164963 said:
    The front has the same image as the back. I didn't get the one from 10c so I can not compare. My guess is probably the same.
    I don’t know…I think I saw a pic of the 10club one and it looked different. You maybe got yourself something special there!?
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,070
    Anyone measure poster size?
  • Options
    LS164963 said:
    LS164963 said:
    I don’t know…I think I saw a pic of the 10club one and it looked different. You maybe got yourself something special there!?
    It is a different image. I edit my previous post. It most be the same as 10c single
  • Options
    LS164963 said:
    LS164963 said:
    LS164963 said:
    It is a different image. I edit my previous post. It most be the same as 10c single
    Ahh bummer. Would have been awesome if it was a special version.
  • Options
    bobasfeet said:
    11”x17”
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    I have a Dark Matter tote bag if anyone wants it. Just need to cover postage.
    On first listen, I rate the album 6/10.
    Claimed. On it's way to @Jules10.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    edited April 15
    This was a lot of fun. Got a slipmat and poster and I'm feeling really good about the album. Excited to hear it in the theater tomorrow.

One soapbox item: People, buy something! A considerable number of the 20ish people there came in, grabbed the goodies, listened to the album, stayed for the raffle, then just bounced. Now it's possible many of them preordered from the store so I can only judge so harshly. But do the store a solid for putting this on and walk out with something!
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,070
    bobasfeet said:
    11”x17”
    Thanks!
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    BF25394 said:
    A listening party story:

When Yield came out, they had a listening party at a Newbury Comics a couple of weeks before the release date. They raffled off two copies of the record on vinyl. The first copy was won by another guy and, since this was 1998, a time when very few people had any interest in vinyl, and since I still had a turntable and had bought the earlier Pearl Jam albums on vinyl to have the larger artwork (or to get it earlier, in the case of Vitalogy), I went over to this guy and offered him 20 bucks for the record, figuring he'd have no use for it. He declined my offer (even though he didn't have a turntable). When they raffled off the second copy, I won it. Anyway, this guy and I got to talking, and realized that we were both legitimately big Pearl Jam fans. He ended up becoming one of my best friends, and we've been to a couple of dozen PJ shows together since then even though we have lived on opposite coasts for over 20 years.
    This is awesome!

(And I love Newbury Comics)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,821
    First two songs were burners. Enjoyed both. Wreckage didn’t disappoint. 
    I still haven’t really connected to dark matter. 
    Then a few songs blended together mostly because I was talking to my listening buddy. But waiting for Stevie brought us right back into the album. It was a standout and easily could have been the single. 
    Running I’ve enjoyed since I first heard it. 
    Something special was not the bomb I was expecting. Not bad at all. 
    Got to give was solid
    setting Sun was great. 

Store did a raffle for the tote bag and they put Gigaton vinyl in there. Also raffled off the promo wall sticky and a poster. We all got a poster and slip mat. 
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,879
    spankyMP said:
    I am admittedly a fanboy and generally like/love everything they do. This is much stronger than Gigaton, which I loved at first and still like, but it definitely cooled off for me.

I didn’t hear wreckage in full, but like the two snippets I’ve heard so far. I love waiting for Stevie, won’t tell, and got to give. Waiting for Stevie has some In hiding to it, which is one of my favorites. I feel like got to give is the kind of song they should be cranking out regularly.

Scared of Fear and react respond are great rockers. Upper hand and setting sun are very good, with some great spots.

Something special, while still very corny, is better than the previously released clip lets on.

So, my opinion definitely leans toward favorable as a default because I am just happy that they are still at it. Way too early to tell where it will settle for me, but very pleased with it and I think there are a few songs that will become set list staples/regulars. It just feels like the quality of album that they should be able to put out on a consistent basis.

I'm in the same boat of liking pretty much everything, and feeling that this album is stronger than Gigaton. It feels more natural. I know Stone has talked about how they changed their approach a bit, going into the studio and just playing around instead of bringing their own songs in and recording, and it certainly feels that way. This is just from one listen, but it sounds more like a live album (I nearly cheered at the end of one of the songs (I think "React, Respond") as Mike's solo felt like he was just jamming away on stage) than previous albums. We'll see how I feel after Tuesday. Also, our store had the bass cranked (which is great, as Jeff is amazing), but it kind of drowns out the rest of the band. Hopefully the mix in the theater will be a little fuller.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,932
    pjl44 said:
    This was a lot of fun. Got a slipmat and poster and I'm feeling really good about the album. Excited to hear it in the theater tomorrow.

One soapbox item: People, buy something! A considerable number of the 20ish people there came in, grabbed the goodies, listened to the album, stayed for the raffle, then just bounced. Now it's possible many of them preordered from the store so I can only judge so harshly. But do the store a solid for putting this on and walk out with something!
    Good call.  I wanted to support the one store in Virginia that was doing this, and happily spent more than I planned to.  I'd love to do this again. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023