Options

Was your first pearl jam show an infamous one?

Comments

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,941
    9/26/1996

Probably not infamous, but their first and only trip to Maine and Dennis Rodman was in the house. And a sweet, solo Patriot to close the show
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,226
    TA243471 said:
    It was for me.  2006 Gorge 1.  Got Dirty Frank at my first show!
    My first show was the day after!  Night 1 looked great but there was no way I could make it.  I have a feeling Dirty Frank is getting played again in 2024.  

Well, hopefully it is at one of the ones I am going to!!!
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Soldier Field  - the Ticketmaster debacle. The venue didn't sell alcohol, which was bizarre.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Nov 3rd 1996, Berlin. I think it was pretty iconic :sunglasses: Then I didn't see them again until 2009.
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,819
    Toronto 1996,  great show but not infamous. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    There's gotta be someone who's first show was Indio, 1993.  Shoe the Shoeless.  You know, because your dirt is....ah nevermind.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    Infamous? Not really. But it was the Milwaukee 1995 show where the Neil Diamond impersonator (and wife) "Thunder and Lighting" covered Forever in Blue Jeans. 

Clips of the show ended up in a documentary: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152789/ about Thunder and Lightning.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 125
    Moline.
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    San Diego '98 with the "save the flag" rant in RITFW.
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 808
    nooram said:
    It was August of '91 and I was visiting my brother who lives in Mukilteo, WA. I had the Mother Love Bone album and knew, from Rolling Stone, of a new band forming from their remnants. My brother had heard of a free show so we went down to the Mural Amphitheater and experienced their awesomeness. I was hooked.

Mukileto in '91? That place must have been isolated as hell back then.
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 652
    East Troy 2000 - The Ice Bowl
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    seanwon said:
    Not infamous, but I did see Crazy Mary as the opening song at my first show - Spectrum 4.28.03. Per livefootsteps, that happened one other time.
    I was at the other one, MSG 2003 I think.
    We tried so hard to get tix to those shows at MSG in July, but could not. Ended up getting tix to Holmdel in a drop.
    IMO you got the better show.
    Agreed. It's such an underrated show.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    rahjiimrahjiim Posts: 135
    I don't know, I don't really remember. Roskilde 1992. I don't remember much of Nirwana that day either. 
  • Options
    Salt_life23Salt_life23 Posts: 96
    Wrigley 2013 was my first show. 
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,284
    Soldier Field  - the Ticketmaster debacle. The venue didn't sell alcohol, which was bizarre.
    Really?! I was a total pot head only then and didn’t touch alcohol. I had no clue they didn’t sell alcohol that night!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    Chicago 98 - the poster is a big one. I still want it.
    Same show.  You can see my avatar is the ticket stub.
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 193
    edited April 6
    Charlotte 96. Drove up from Atlanta using Mapquest directions.

Ben Harper to open, HUGE crowd on the floor with everybody moving back, in sequence, when Ed asked (still one of the coolest things I have seen as were were far up in the stands when it happened). "Jesse Helm's going away party" with a speech by Gloria Steinem.

Opened up with "Long Road". One of the greatest posters by Emek
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    10 - Bristow
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore
    24 - Las Vegas (16th) / Las Vegas (18th) / Baltimore
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,022
    hadfiiw said:

Ben Harper to open, HUGE crowd on the floor with everybody moving back, in sequence, when Ed asked (still one of the coolest things I have seen as were were far up in the stands when it happened). "Jesse Helm's going away party" with a speech by Gloria Steinem.

I love the photo from that show in place/date!  To get in the time machine and do that whole east coast leg would be amazing.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Wrigley 2013 was my first show. 
    Among the most memorable shows they have ever played. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,509
    My first show was the Dallas 98 show where Dennis Rodman showed up. The merch lines were a mess and I really wanted one of the posters but gave up. Now I really wish I had persevered, I love that poster!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781

I believe every first show for people on this board was certainly memorable.  It had to have been or they would no longer be here.

For me it was August 28, 1998, Camden, NJ.  It was disgustingly hot and muggy.  I left there drenched in sweat, my long hair soaking wet.  I was on a high I never felt before, not drug or alcohol induced.

As we left the show into the parking lot, people were selling bootleg t-shirts.  I remember trying to haggle with the bootleggers and just as I bought a t-shirt, the cops came up and stopped the illegal sale. 

We ran away as the cops approached and it was exhilarating.  I felt like a teenager again. 

And my life has never been the same. 

Oh and they opened with Release.  Does that qualify as infamous???

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 711
    Not infamous, but memorable as others have said. Barrie 98 was my first show. Had tried to get tickets on earlier tours and struck out, and wasn’t 10c then. Given the wait, the opening lines of Corduroy seemed particularly fitting. Great show with a surprisingly large pit.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 676
    Soldier Field!  Scored the tye dye T outside after the show.  Got tickets from the classifieds because some kid apparently used her aunts credit card without their knowledge to purchase.  Thank you Stephanie Kagy, the name on my tickets, wherever you are.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,417
    edited April 7
    hadfiiw said:

Nice memory! My buddy and I managed to walk onto the field and into the smaller GA section. Not sure if we were supposed to be there or not. The Fastbacks opened followed by Harper and the IC. Had no idea who they were, but that show made me an immediate fan!

I remember turning around to watch the main crowd behind us move back when Ed asked.

Oh how I wished I was into the merch and had bought a poster. 
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,014
    Yamrider said:
    Eastern Creek Raceway, Australia 1995, often talked as legendary show. (I wish I had a time machine).
    I was from UK backpacking. Went with a fellow backpacker who was staying at the same backpackers hostel.
    He was called Co (Nick). When we first met briefly he had a pearl jam t-shirt, I said 'Noooo....a pearl jam t shirt'!!!... (meaning amazing to meet someone else as mad as me about Pearl Jam).

Anyway about a week later I said you've not worn your pearl jam t shirt again, and he said when you said nooo a pearl jam t shirt I thought you didn't like them so I've not worn it.
    I explained and we had a good laugh about it over a few beers and were from then on constantly talking anything pearl jam. He had a guitar and could play a few songs too.
    Special times.
    My first show as well & it was memorable beyond belief & infamous for rough it was when The Meanies came on. I picked up this girl who was getting crushed & got her the hell out of there 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options
    KK257911KK257911 Indiana Posts: 20
    Virginia Beach, 2000
    I do not think we will ever know how close Pearl Jam was to never taking the stage again after Roskilde.  
    So, for well-documented reasons - I believe it was one of the most important shows in the history of the band.  
    Personally, it was a long time coming having been a fan since '91.
    '00 - Virginia Beach, '08 - West Seattle 1 (EV), '11 - Chicago 2 (EV), '12 - Missoula, '13 - Wrigley, '14 - Cincinnati, '16 - Lexington, '16 - Wrigley 1 & 2, '18 - Seattle 1 & 2, '18 - Missoula, '18 - Wrigley 2, '24 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,742
    edited April 7
    KN219077 said:
    Loujoe said:
    KN219077 said:
    Not infamous but Missoula 2012 had its moments!
    Sure did. Waited all night for rail. Scored a kapow pick. Plus tiny venue. Ev was sick...nice Jeff speech...ev talk about being in the sauna with a couple guys...funny. Great time.
    Plus, you know, just being in MT. My first time in missoula. 
    I was way up in the back where it was qbout 90 degrees but enjoyed every minute of it. The acoustic set was amazing and I still listen to that fortunate son often. Best version.

I got the flu literally on my way to the airport for that show, and was down on the GA floor. I remember Mudhoney was so loud that people started leaving the building, and it made me want to puke, lol. I don't know wtf that was about, but I was glad PJ didn't have the same problem. Once they came on I forget all about my flu... I feel bad though. I  learned later that I was patient zero at that show. Sorry.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    State College '03 = SOLD
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    nstokesnstokes Posts: 16
    mine was the show at Golden Gate Park in SF where EV was sick and had to step out after just a few songs... then Uncle Neil joined and they ripped through Mirror Ball.
  • Options
    VikkivaleVikkivale Los Angeles, CA Posts: 227
    I think my first show qualifies as legendary! Boston Garden 4/11/1994...The Eddie smashing a hole through the stage show. I was blown away at the time and 26 PJ shows later, it's still my favorite.