Options

Does Anyone Else Avoid Listening to Songs from Dark Matter until Release Date?

2»

Comments

• Options
    aschuldineraschuldiner Posts: 10
    I always try to wait. Totally understand why some people feel differently, but personally I love the ritual of the first full listen.
    1996: Randall's Island 9/28, 9/29
    2000: Saratoga Springs 8/27
    2013: Brooklyn 10/19
    2016: Tampa 4/11, Jacksonville 4/13
  • Options
    Tuta23Tuta23 Posts: 114
    Life's too short.  Enjoy them as you have access....
    I am not a Thief of Silence.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    im old and you know what that means....i aint changing because everyone else is...
    the first spin will be in my car with the cd in the player. i think i'll take the long road in.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,736
    Somehow I cannot believe I made it this far.  Then again, since the first new PJ album I bought- Vitalogy, I vowed not to listen to any tracks prior to owning it.  And for one reason or another, I broke that promise time and time again.  
    Is anyone else out there making such an absurd declaration?  If so, I would be curious to hear your reason(s), what you are doing to while away the time, and finally how you plan to implement your debut listening experience once that fateful day in April is upon us?
    Or perhaps if others are abstaining from the new songs, this forum could be the last place to visit.
    I’m staying away from PJ right now. I want to experience the album as a whole without being familiar with any of the singles. I can’t wait to hear the complete work all at once without any single being pounded into my head. 🤷‍♂️ 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    I’ve listened to the first song twice. But now I’m waiting until I have the vinyl in hand to listen to the whole thing at once.
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,758
    im old and you know what that means....i aint changing because everyone else is...
    the first spin will be in my car with the cd in the player. i think i'll take the long road in.
    Cars still have CD players?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    moozeekfanmoozeekfan Posts: 194
    Yup.  It’s carried over from the pre-Internet days for me.  I like the experience of hearing the record all at once for the first time.  It’s also partially driven by that we live in an on-demand world, and sometimes it’s nice to just step away from that once in a while.  I know I could listen to both singles right now if I wanted, but…
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,297
    Cars still have CD players?
    The average age of a car on the road in the U.S. is 12 years so, yes, tens of millions of people are driving cars with CD players. I am one of them, and they'll pry my car's CD player from my cold, dead hands.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,219
    After hearing Running I’ll have no difficulty waiting for the rest.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    No, because life is short
  • Options
    Travels WithTravels With Posts: 549
    Sometimes I think about waiting, but then I embrace a quote from Oscar Wilde
    "I can resist anything except temptation!" -- so then I listen.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    AA295481AA295481 Posts: 99
    I have only listened to Dark Matter/Running once each, I have listened to a bunch of singles throughout the years and quickly get burned out before the album drops , nothing against either, I just choose to wait until the whole album drops. It's to the point now that if I hear one on the radio, i quickly change the station. 
  • Options
    WildFlyWildFly Posts: 210
    I think its an awesome idea not to listen before release.  Starting now after Dark Matter I am going to do just that!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I am waiting. Barely listened to anything so far. I prefer to listen to the entire record. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    The next few weeks can feel like an eternity to wait but I know this time next month, it would have gone by in a blink of an eye.  The excitement now comes from the potential contained in new Pearl Jam music.  It's a safe bet most of us wouldn't be on this forum unless their songs altered us at some point in our life.  
    And I am a full believer in the 'beholder's share" which allows the observer or listener to complete a given artwork by imparting their own perceptual experience onto it.  While many will listen to Dark Matter out of nothing more than curiosity, others might not get out unscathed. This could help explain why I tend to associate entire years based on the given album Pearl Jam released at the time.  All thanks to the power of music.
    Of course, none of which explains my compulsion to buy those Funko Pops.  
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,880