Options

Does Anyone Else Avoid Listening to Songs from Dark Matter until Release Date?

pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
edited March 22 in The Porch
Somehow I cannot believe I made it this far.  Then again, since the first new PJ album I bought- Vitalogy, I vowed not to listen to any tracks prior to owning it.  And for one reason or another, I broke that promise time and time again.  
Is anyone else out there making such an absurd declaration?  If so, I would be curious to hear your reason(s), what you are doing to while away the time, and finally how you plan to implement your debut listening experience once that fateful day in April is upon us?
Or perhaps if others are abstaining from the new songs, this forum could be the last place to visit.
Post edited by pleatherman on

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    I can understand doing that because you can get the vibe from a few songs, and wanting to really remember the first listen.  But I don't worry about that stuff anymore.

One time I wanted to experience the songs live first so I was thinking about not listening.  But if only going to one or two shows you want to get familiar first.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,550
    Ask @mookeywrench, who is also waiting
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Other than Dark Matter, I think I'm going to do the same. Or at least try to. Gigaton landed in my inbox early last time and I wish I had waited to listen to it on release day on my birthday, for the first time! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,796
    I'm pretty much waiting. Like the snippets. Didn't listen to dm. Still never really heard Gigaton. Whatever
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,873
    Hell no lol 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Hell no lol 
     =) 

I don't know what's on your Calandar... but mine is "Running" today!
  • Options
    Yeah, it is an odd stance to take.  Although some artists even embrace it by not dropping any singles ahead of time, or surprise releasing their entire album.
    My reasoning goes back to first becoming a fan in '94.  Thanks to numerous rebroadcasts of the Atlanta concert, taping the SNL episode, and FM radio's insatiable appetite for any PJ material, plus my growing bootleg collection, I was left with only a few unheard tunes after I got my hands on Vitalogy.  At the time, I was kind of let down because it didn't feel new at all.
    In the end, each of us end up in the same place, whether we listen to the music over the course of several weeks, or all at once.  
    Right now, I am looking forward to the experience of picking it up on Record Store Day.  It is quite rare I get to re-experience what it feels like to be a kid on Christmas morning.
  • Options
    Yeah, it is an odd stance to take.  Although some artists even embrace it by not dropping any singles ahead of time, or surprise releasing their entire album.
    My reasoning goes back to first becoming a fan in '94.  Thanks to numerous rebroadcasts of the Atlanta concert, taping the SNL episode, and FM radio's insatiable appetite for any PJ material, plus my growing bootleg collection, I was left with only a few unheard tunes after I got my hands on Vitalogy.  At the time, I was kind of let down because it didn't feel new at all.
    In the end, each of us end up in the same place, whether we listen to the music over the course of several weeks, or all at once.  
    Right now, I am looking forward to the experience of picking it up on Record Store Day.  It is quite rare I get to re-experience what it feels like to be a kid on Christmas morning.
    Fantastic reasoning. Merry Record Store Day!💥
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    Fantastic reasoning. Merry Record Store Day!💥
    Thanks.  Now I am just working out phase 2 of my plan, which involves vacating the house for an hour or two.  I'm sure there will be some bribery involved.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,164
    I had a similar experience with Vitalogy and preferred some of the live versions to the album versions.

I can't resist listening to the new stuff, so Dark Matter has been on repeat for a month and now Running has played 5 or 6 times....
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,938
    For Gigaton, I held off on listening to any live versions until the shows that I was attending happened. Might do that this time too since I won't be seeing them until the Seattle shows. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 711
    edited March 21
    I think you're missing out on some of the excitement leading up to the release. It's a chance to sink into one song, rather than getting it all in one lump sum. You pay less taxes. 

With that said, you still have a small window of time to soak up DM single tonight, then experience the next one tomorrow. 
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 500
    spankyMP said:
    I had a similar experience with Vitalogy and preferred some of the live versions to the album versions.

I can't resist listening to the new stuff, so Dark Matter has been on repeat for a month and now Running has played 5 or 6 times....
    I had this problem with Grievance.  I taped the Letterman performance on VHS and listened to it it so many times before the album came out.  That letterman performance had all this energy and the guitars were so raw that by the time I heard the album version it just felt too thin.  I still prefer that letterman version more.

I do miss sitting down with the album in full for the first time and just soaking it all in.  I can still remember where I was for each of the albums up through Avacado.  After that I think I probably had too much access to clips, or the CDs came in the mail or download instead of me having to go out and get it which took away from me remembering the whole experience.  I still don’t have the ability to hold out but I do try not to overplay the singles so that I’m not burned out by the time I hear the whole album.
  • Options
    I think you're missing out on some of the excitement leading up to the release. It's a chance to sink into one song, rather than getting it all in one lump sum. You pay less taxes. 

With that said, you still have a small window of time to soak up DM single tonight, then experience the next one tomorrow. 
    Yeah, and I have fond memories of hearing lead singles, like Given to Fly on the radio or downloading WWS prior to their respective release date.  
    Then there was the time I streamed the entire Lightning Bolt album prior to attending the 2013 Pittsburgh concert since that show preceded the album's official release.  It felt like a homework assignment I was glad to be immersed in.
    I am still reading Dark Matter articles and interviews, which serves as a kind of nicotine patch for me.  And discovering other artists, such as Jeff Rosenstock, has helped a great deal.  Hmm, maybe I could finally start those New Year's resolutions as a welcome distraction.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,796

Ok!
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,537
    edited March 21
    I wouldn't consider it absurd, but I try my best to avoid overexposure and overplay before the release. I don't want to be sick of any singles before I hear the album or get to a live show.

If I hear it, I hear it..but spotify wouldn't show Dark Matter in my top 25 list.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    MJ178168MJ178168 Posts: 48
    I don't avoid the singles, but don't listen to them a ton.  I take a few listens to quench my curiosity and then just plan on listening to the entire album on repeat when it comes out.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    I usually wait to hear the songs live before I listen to the record......gives me nice memories of the songs!
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    I've listened to Dark Matter 2x, and am on some social media platforms where snippets of it are all over PJ's posts. Also enjoyed the fun experiment of aiming my phone at the sky earlier this week to get a snippet of a song. If 'Running' drops tomorrow then I'll give it a least one listen. But, for the most part, I'm trying to look the other way until the proper album drops (in less than a month :bee: !!)
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,225
    I just try to avoid unofficial snippets like the bootlegged listening party recording from the beyond the door of muffled noises. Other then that nope, just listen to new music if it's good. Never avoided hearing singles my whole life, can't teach an old dog new tricks.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,547
    my best memories of listening to new PJ albums is when I had not listened to a thing before the drop - Listening to Yield for the first time is an experience I will never forget!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 604

Yeah, and I have fond memories of hearing lead singles, like Given to Fly on the radio or downloading WWS prior to their respective release date.  
    Then there was the time I streamed the entire Lightning Bolt album prior to attending the 2013 Pittsburgh concert since that show preceded the album's official release.  It felt like a homework assignment I was glad to be immersed in.
    I am still reading Dark Matter articles and interviews, which serves as a kind of nicotine patch for me.  And discovering other artists, such as Jeff Rosenstock, has helped a great deal.  Hmm, maybe I could finally start those New Year's resolutions as a welcome distraction.
    I’m seeing Rosenstock this Saturday! I’m pretty psyched. First show of ‘24.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 604
    I actually kind of like to know the singles well before the album and then see how they change in context. Especially once there are more than one. Because for the next month DM will roll right into Running but after the release it never will again.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    Haven’t heard anything yet, not even the snippets. So yeah, waiting. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,963
    I tried but failed miserably with Dark Matter, so looking forward to hearing Running tomorrow
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    I applaud anyone who can listen to a new track a couple times and put it away until 4/19.   I know from experience leading up to their previous albums that all it takes is but a sample to open up the floodgates.  
    But this has also given me an excuse to do a deep dive into PJ's discography.  When a band like this has gone through so many amazing eras, it's easy to take for granted.
    And next month marks 30 years as a diehard fan.  I didn't think I was capable of being a fan of anything for that long, let alone celebrate that anniversary with a new album in my hand.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139
    I applaud anyone who can listen to a new track a couple times and put it away until 4/19.   I know from experience leading up to their previous albums that all it takes is but a sample to open up the floodgates.  
    But this has also given me an excuse to do a deep dive into PJ's discography.  When a band like this has gone through so many amazing eras, it's easy to take for granted.
    And next month marks 30 years as a diehard fan.  I didn't think I was capable of being a fan of anything for that long, let alone celebrate that anniversary with a new album in my hand.
    Yes to this! I’ll probably listen to Running tomorrow and then try and wait for the album. It’s almost here!

Love this band and super excited we not only have a new tour, but a new album as well!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,293
    I could be dead by April 19. I'll listen to whatever they want to give me. It will not spoil the album even a little bit. And, hopefully, the album will find its way into the light well before April 19.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,164
    👍👍
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    In a delightful turn of events 'Dark Matter in Dark' will be showing at a theatre near me.  This should serve nicely as a proper introduction to the album.  Followed closely by Record Store Day of course.

Unless...