Options

Pearl Jam: Dark Matter in the Dark

Comments

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,162
    A lot of the songs will be great live, they sound made for it. Really impressed by so many of the songs, need a few more listens to pick favourites but 33 years and 12 albums in to make a record with so few I didn't really like is amazing.

What's the deal with got to give lyrics not appearing till the end was that the same for everyone? 
  • Options
    SW76448SW76448 Posts: 7
    I can’t imagine better sound than what we had at the Dolby Cinema (AMC) in Torrance, CA.  But the biggest impression was made by the music itself.  I have to agree with the person who said it was the best first impression of a new album since Yield.  What a thrill it is to know off the bat that you’re excited by new music and likely to grow even fonder upon repeated spins.   I left the theater with Waiting for Stevie in my head and a heart full of gratitude for this amazing band.  Thursday night can’t come soon enough.  
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    igotid88 said:

Wasn't this part supposed to be at the beginning of the album? https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLPJ8ULf/
    I was thinking this as well. We got a quick, like, 10 second version of this. Maybe it was skipped for the movie?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    edited April 17
    Was the visual part of the song Dark Matter the same as on the youtube video of the song?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Was the visual part of the song Dark Matter the same as on the youtube video of the song?
    Yes
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 81
    igotid88 said:
    Did everyone clap after every song at your theater?
    Not in England . Like we don't cheer when a plane lands either
    Of topic, but I also find this so extremely weird. Why are people doing that? Noticed it especially in Germany.
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 247
    igotid88 said:
    Of topic, but I also find this so extremely weird. Why are people doing that? Noticed it especially in Germany.
    Maybe they are happy they still are alive... =)
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    BH76306 said:
    Had an AMC Dolby Atmos theater and was a *blown away* by the sound quality. Truly never had an audio experience that good... was such a trip hearing different parts/sections like that. Bummer others didn't have that experience because it was top notch.
    Was at AMC Dolby atmos too and sound was terrible.  Everything coming from front and my popcorn eating was louder than the music.  Disappointed that I didn’t get the sonic experience that I was hoping for but I still loved the songs.  I usually don’t like sappy/cheesy songs but something special hit home with my 19yo daughter sitting next to me.  Can’t wait to listen to it with better audio… my car?  My iPhone speakers? 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,747
    BH76306 said:
    Had an AMC Dolby Atmos theater and was a *blown away* by the sound quality. Truly never had an audio experience that good... was such a trip hearing different parts/sections like that. Bummer others didn't have that experience because it was top notch.
    Was at AMC Dolby atmos too and sound was terrible.  Everything coming from front and my popcorn eating was louder than the music.  Disappointed that I didn’t get the sonic experience that I was hoping for but I still loved the songs.  I usually don’t like sappy/cheesy songs but something special hit home with my 19yo daughter sitting next to me.  Can’t wait to listen to it with better audio… my car?  My iPhone speakers? 
    Something Special is very catchy, got me to move. The lyrics are so genuine too. Love it.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,993
    igotid88 said:
    Maybe they are happy they still are alive... =)
    This
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    igotid88 said:
    I've only seen that on a rough flight. Coming into Denver you get bad turbulence going over the mountains. Sometimes can be really bad. On the really bad ones, people cheer when they land. But I haven't found it to be a normal thing. 
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    I went last night. Speakers blew after the first 4 songs, took 20 minutes to fix lol.

I'm not impressed with DM. I want to like it more, but I think it's meh so far. Hoping things change when I can actually give it a serious listen, vs. at a movie theater behind assholes who talked the entire night and ignored people's requests to shut the fuck up.

I have no kids of my own. My Goddaughters are as close as I'll get. That being said, "Something Special" makes "The Haves" look like "Stairway To Heaven" lol. It's awful.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Vedd Hedd said:
    igotid88 said:

Wasn't this part supposed to be at the beginning of the album? https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLPJ8ULf/
    I was thinking this as well. We got a quick, like, 10 second version of this. Maybe it was skipped for the movie?
    Yeah thats just the intro to scared of fear - I figured it would be an interesting track itself 
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    igotid88 said:
    lol
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 506
    What was the message from Jeff at the beginning?
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    edited April 17
    The sound where I saw it was kind of a drag.   It appeared like only the speakers in the front were active and not the entire surround system.  Overall I really enjoyed Scared of Fear, React Respond and most of all, Upper Hand.  Can't wait to play Upper Hand again.

Also, Something Special, despite being slagged in most reviews, was actually really fun.  I could see it as a good summertime porch type song.
    Post edited by Tremorman on
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    bootleg said:
    It was essentially "Thanks for coming out tonight and all these years. We're excited about the record. See you on the road." Looks like it was filmed at HQ.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,993
    Our sound was shit as well kind of defeated the object
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,557
    I got it in Dolby last night, and the sound was still meh. Sat on the left side of the theater and only had Mikes guitar in my ear the whole time. Heard someone yell out “hell yeah stone” after a song, I didn’t even hear Stone.
    First impression was meh. Sounded over produced and way too poppy. Only song that really stood out to me was the last song. Got Long Gone Days and Parting Ways vibes. 
    I’ll wait for late tomorrow night to throw the headphones in but first two listens were underwhelming to me. Nothing screamed Pearl Jam to me, and nothing screamed out of no where like DOTC. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    tbergs said:
    Really loved the whole album after not liking the snippets. Something Special is actually quite good. I like the melody and the lyrics are sweet, especially as a fellow parent.

Setting Sun and Waiting for Stevie are the best. Setting Sun is so beautiful and soaring. Great song. Waiting for Stevie kept me grooving. Heard a little undertone of the Cinnamon Girl progression in places, but it's not that noticeable and the song just kicks ass.

Loved the first 2. I actually thought the lyrics for all the songs were pretty strong. I only cringe at the sewage lines in Running, but that's a minor quibble.

Overall, I liked this whole album better than I've liked any PJ album on first listen since Yield. Much better flow and balance across it. I felt that Gigaton fell flat halfway through (even though I love it) as did LB. No real slow Eddie songs as in albums past.

Looking forward to release day so I can crank this up.
    I am with you. My least favs are probably Running and Something Special (SS was actually my wife's fav, interestingly enough--she's not a huge PJ fan).

I thought it was fantastic. Seems like the most complete album since Yield. I liked Gigaton more than most, but I agree the second half can sort of put you to sleep. Not so with DM.

Yeah a few are poppy, but they still work--Wreckage sounds like Petty, Won't Tell reminded me of U2, and Gotta Give has a little Bruce feel. 

The first two are awesome. Great way to start the album.

Upper Hand--loved it. Stevie---definitely an old school vibe. TOD, VS/Ten-ish vibes to me...but from a band in their late 50's if that makes sense?

I also think this is one of their most accessible, radio friendly albums ever really...at least up there with the first five. There's like 5-7 songs that would probably do well on radio. 

Love it. Can't wait to hear it in better quality Friday. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Has anyone uploaded the full thing to youtube yet?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    No just snippets from someone standing in line for popcorn at the other Cinema next doors. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    No just snippets from someone standing in line for popcorn at the other Cinema next doors. 
    Well that's dumb. Did you hear it yet?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    I really liked what I heard.
    I wasn't able to go, but someone sent me an audio recording. Recording was actually pretty good, better than what I expected, but still looking forward to hearing the legit version. 

I didn't care for DM or Running as singles. I liked DM better with the flow of the album. As a whole, first impressions were better than LB and Gigaton (low bar, I know). I expect it to settle in there around Avocado and Binaural after a few listens. I could see some of the songs really liking. 

Only song I didn't like was Setting Sun. From what I've been hearing, I was expecting Waiting for Stevie to be an instant favorite. It wasn't, it was good, but it wouldn't have stood out to me above the rest if I hadn't been reading about it. I was expecting Something Special to be awful, and it was okay. Not great, but not terrible. 

That being said, I had similar feelings with Earthling. I really liked some of the songs after a few listens, but then quickly got tired of my favorites and its sat on the shelf for a while. I hope this one is different. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I really liked what I heard.
    I wasn't able to go, but someone sent me an audio recording. Recording was actually pretty good, better than what I expected, but still looking forward to hearing the legit version. 

I didn't care for DM or Running as singles. I liked DM better with the flow of the album. As a whole, first impressions were better than LB and Gigaton (low bar, I know). I expect it to settle in there around Avocado and Binaural after a few listens. I could see some of the songs really liking. 

Only song I didn't like was Setting Sun. From what I've been hearing, I was expecting Waiting for Stevie to be an instant favorite. It wasn't, it was good, but it wouldn't have stood out to me above the rest if I hadn't been reading about it. I was expecting Something Special to be awful, and it was okay. Not great, but not terrible. 

That being said, I had similar feelings with Earthling. I really liked some of the songs after a few listens, but then quickly got tired of my favorites and its sat on the shelf for a while. I hope this one is different. 
    I was not completely blown away by Stevie at first (the hype is nuts) but the second playback with the lyrics showing---yeah, man. It fucking rocks. Liked it a lot more the second listen. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    These songs are all going to have a much different feel live.  Cant wait. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Theater I went to sucked. Sound was awful. Still enjoyed the 1st play through but really enjoyed the 2nd … with the lyrics. Helped since the sound was bad.  

Always takes a bunch of listens for the likes vs meh tracks shake out. But I loved:

scared
    react, respond 
    Dark matter
    upper hand
    Waiting for Stevie 
    running 

liked:
    The rest. Except for something special. I’ll use it at my daughter’s wedding eventually …might get me to shed a tear when she heads of to college in 1.33 year though 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    The sound at the theater last night was not good.  The album seems great, but that sound there was pretty bad.  Where I was sitting, I could barely hear drums or any bass.  Hell, i could barely hear Mike's solos.  It was a bit of a mess and is going to sound way better on my home stereo.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    bootleg said:
    It was essentially "Thanks for coming out tonight and all these years. We're excited about the record. See you on the road." Looks like it was filmed at HQ.
    He also told people they should dance and sing along to the second playback if they were so inclined. No one at my theater danced, but some people sang along to "Dark Matter" and "Running" the second time. (I was one of them.) Those songs both got really enthusiastic responses. 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
    bootleg said:

Indeed.