Options

Uk listening party for Dark Matter

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,063
    Were there any riff driven songs or mainly heavy chord songs?
    Chord heavy but not all heavy chords
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Kurt Brutus BaconKurt Brutus Bacon Posts: 78
    edited April 30
    My personal opinion is most people won't like half this album. And i didn't hear anything that was like old pj. Just my ta.
    Post edited by Kurt Brutus Bacon on
    Roskilde 2000, Barcelona 2006, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, London 2010, Arras 2010, Berlin x 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Seattle 2013, Stockholm 2014, Boston x 2 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Budapest 2022
  • Options
    edited March 22
    I love dark matter and running is ok  scared of fear you will like if you like this style.  Wreckage had an appeal and to me had a daughter vibe. I don't know man it all blurs fast. I know me personally though at least 4 songs weren't for me at first listen but hey some songs take some time. Just not a fan of the slower cheese or petty style myself 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I love dark matter and running is ok  scared of fear you will like if you like this style.  Wreckage had an appeal and to me had a daughter vibe. I don't know man it all blurs fast. I know me personally though at least 4 songs weren't for me at first listen but hey some songs take some time. Just not a fan of the slower cheese or petty style myself
    Thanks! 
    Roskilde 2000, Barcelona 2006, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, London 2010, Arras 2010, Berlin x 2 2012, Stockholm 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Seattle 2013, Stockholm 2014, Boston x 2 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Budapest 2022
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,231
    i think when Ed said "its our best work" that also plays into how we filter the songs early on listening, expectations for this one are thru the roof

• Options
    edited March 22
    CROJAM95 said:
    i think when Ed said "its our best work" that also plays into how we filter the songs early on listening, expectations for this one are thru the roof

Agreed. I know he loves it and is proud  so thats all that matters to him
     Fair enough . I respectfully disagree 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,172
    My personal opinion is most people won't like half this album. And i didn't hear anything that was like old pj. Just my take
    I think both Dark Matter and Running are good songs but the snippet from Something Special sounds a bit cheesy. What would you say my odds are of liking the album as a whole?
    Something special was the only cheesy one really 
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Ed explained how much a fan watt is/was. And how he was born as release was released so watt was released at the same time😁. But with watt being such a fan and musician im very surprised with how this turned out.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 507
    I would try not to get hung up on production.  You may disagree with some choices but if Watt doesn’t produce the album and get the guys all in a room then the album never exists in the first place.
  • Options
    Its just worthless opinion. Everyone will have their own anyway
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
     Can one of you lucky few who went to this listening party describe what "Waiting for Stevie" & "Setting Sun" sound like?  These are the 2 songs from all the articles that have me most interested. Would love to hear what those of you that heard of it...think of it. Thanks
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    I really want to know more about react respond. Is this indeed clip 1 from the metal door snippets from LA?
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 said:
     Can one of you lucky few who went to this listening party describe what "Waiting for Stevie" & "Setting Sun" sound like?  These are the 2 songs from all the articles that have me most interested. Would love to hear what those of you that heard of it...think of it. Thanks
    Kind of hard to take it all in but I remember thinking Stevie wasn't what I expected for some reason I thought it was a ballad but its not. Its not as heavy as the earlier part of the album though 
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Kind of hard to take it all in but I remember thinking Stevie wasn't what I expected for some reason I thought it was a ballad but its not. Its not as heavy as the earlier part of the album though 

Thanks. Was it one of the songs you liked?  A highlight?  Don't know why I'm so hyper focused on this song...but the articles that mentioned it really sold it as an instant classic. Stone hinted in the SPIN article that it may probably end up being a fan favorite.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Gonzo1977 said:

Thanks. Was it one of the songs you liked?  A highlight?  Don't know why I'm so hyper focused on this song...but the articles that mentioned it really sold it as an instant classic. Stone hinted in the SPIN article that it may probably end up being a fan favorite.
    Yes I liked it but I liked 7 or 8 of them. I know its only 1 listen in a hyped environment with Ed there but there weren't many I didn't like
  • Options
    I remember liking react respond first 5 i think i was impressed and thought solid. I can't remember too much as it was so ridiculously loud hard to make out too much detail and ed was 3 feet away so mesmerising. I got caught in his glow
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Gonzo1977 said:

Yeah I was surprised by Waiting for Stevie.  I thought it was going to be more like something from Earthling (I expected a Stevie Wonder reference?) but it seemed emotionally deeper and less poppy than pretty much anything on Earthling.  Not sure about instant classic, but it made a positive first impression on me.

Must admit Setting Sun didn't make much of an impression on first listen.  That's not to say it's not good, I just think I was aware it was all wrapping up and the free bar and tequila shots had done some of their damage to my memory by that point...   
  • Options
    I remember thinking setting sun was a non memorable 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    stones said:
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Gonzo1977 said:

Yeah I was surprised by Waiting for Stevie.  I thought it was going to be more like something from Earthling (I expected a Stevie Wonder reference?) but it seemed emotionally deeper and less poppy than pretty much anything on Earthling.  Not sure about instant classic, but it made a positive first impression on me.

Must admit Setting Sun didn't make much of an impression on first listen.  That's not to say it's not good, I just think I was aware it was all wrapping up and the free bar and tequila shots had done some of their damage to my memory by that point...   
    Cool ! thank you. Can't wait to hear this song.  Scared of Fear has me really interested too....since it's a Stone riff & and folks have said it sounds a bit like Animal.
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    For anyone interested in such things the tequila Ed was sharing was Clase Azul Reposado Tequila - not some cheap firewater!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 said:
    stones said:
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Gonzo1977 said:

Cool ! thank you. Can't wait to hear this song.  Scared of Fear has me really interested too....since it's a Stone riff & and folks have said it sounds a bit like Animal.
    Really liked scared of fear rocking straight away
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,231
    stones said:
    For anyone interested in such things the tequila Ed was sharing was Clase Azul Reposado Tequila - not some cheap firewater!
    always have a bottle in my house, get it as a xmas gift thru a work vendor every year, not cheap for sure
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 576
    How was upper hand ? If you guys remember any details? Thank you 
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    stones said:
    That was the good shit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    The most important thing though….was there any SAX!! ???
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,984

• Options
    @Jamesrobb your interview will turn up soon
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    JamesrobbJamesrobb Posts: 5
    @Jamesrobb your interview will turn up soon
    I hope so although I’m pretty sure I was talking at about 100 miles an hour 👍🤣
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    demetrios said:

Go frame by frame on this and you’ll see some lyrics to upper hand. 
  • Options
    Well my part was really quite poor. So I'm sure yours is much better 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07